MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
LEO Involvement in this Arrest?
Monday morning quarterbacks or after-the-fact vid-bystanders may draw conclusions about advisability of Potter's involvement in the arrest but seems the gen public has scant evd to work w.

What is necessary for us standing in Potter's shoes to know, to develop reasonable decision on whether assistance would be needed?
---Merely viewing short vid clips (that's all I've seen) of some interactions w Wright, LEO Potter, & the other LEO? or
--- Viewing all vids and knowing of other pre-shooting events?

Someone posted (sorry, forgot who) - the pat-down or frisk of Wright was lackluster.
Is it possible Potter's angle of observation revealed to her a danger the other LEO could not see or overlooked?
Maybe she was personally aware of Wright's history of fleeing from LE?
Or maybe -
- the facial expression of LEO cuffing/trying to cuff Wright signaled an SOS to Potter?
- the third LEO's gesture or expression alerted Potter to a risk?
IOW, much info unknown to us/gen public but was known to Potter at the time.

Agreeing w @PrairieWind, that Potter had every right to assist. Furthermore many decisions LEOs take are discretionary, so I hesitate to second guess Potter's decision re her becoming more involved in this arrest. my2ct.
She has every right to assist in the arrest.
bbm
Even though it wasn't needed?...
bbm

Last edited:
I'm not Tara of course, but yes I would be.

Simple traffic stops are dangerous times for our police officers, and answering domestic violence calls.

Commonly when it goes sideways for LE fast in simple traffic stops is when the person is resisting or attempting to get back in their vehicle or refuses to come out resulting in them trying to flee or fleeing.

Did you see the New Mexico police officer last week who was doing a simple traffic stop when the man got out of his vehicle, and shot him in the head killing him? It was all caught on his dashcam. The officer was blindsided without any warning. He thought the man was complying. He was dead before he could even draw his weapon. That's how quickly traffic stops can go from a simple stop to the last watch an officer will ever make in the line of duty.

Jmho
So because a case like like happened cops should go with deadly force quicker?That's a dangerous thing to give police that much power.

What I say is debunked and needs to stop being posted is the photo of the returned envelope that says no such address. People are saying that this shows the notice to appear was not delivered. But that envelope is from a different case, not the gun possession case. There are a few people on here that repeatedly posting known false information.
The post to which you refer was my explanation to OP that the only open warrant was was for the gun possession case,not the serious case due to be herd in August.
That has been shown repeatedly.
It is not false information.
It WAS the only open warrant.
His public defender states he was not notified of the most recent hearing.
We have no reason to believe he is lying, despite media posting the February dated returned letter.
It was not the substantive point.
I agree people are posting false information repeatedly.
I, however, am not.

LEO Involvement in this Arrest?
Monday morning quarterbacks or after-the-fact vid-bystanders may draw conclusions about advisability of Potter's involvement in the arrest but seems the gen public has scant evd to work w.

What is necessary for us to stand in Potter's shoes, to develop reasonable decision on whether assistance would be needed?
---Merely viewing short vid clips (that's all I've seen) of some interactions w Wright, LEO Potter, & the other LEO? or
--- Viewing all vids and knowing of other pre-shooting events?

Someone posted (sorry, forgot who) - the pat-down or frisk of Wright was lackluster.
Is it possible Potter's angle of observation revealed to her a danger the other LEO could not see or overlooked?
Maybe she was personally aware of Wright's history of fleeing from LE?
Or maybe -
- the facial expression of LEO cuffing/trying to cuff Wright signaled an SOS to Potter?
- the third LEO's gesture or expression alerted Potter to a risk?
IOW, much info unknown to us/gen public but was known to Potter at the time.

Agreeing w @PrairieWind, that Potter had every right to assist. Furthermore many decisions LEOs take are discretionary, so I hesitate to second guess Potter's decision re her becoming more involved in this arrest. my2ct.

bbm
bbm

But he was unarmed? Was he not? So I cannot begin to understand how it is justified in any way, shape or form. I’m sorry, MOO And I guess the, some would say, privileged point of view of guns not being an everyday item...not looking for a gun argument btw.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

So because she didn’t have the intent to kill him, that’s ok? Morally or in the eyes of the law? Genuinely not trying to be facetious or get the thread closed but just trying to understand. It’s not like she gave someone the wrong change, a common error in my trade, she had responsibilities and had managed not to kill anyone for 26 years. I’m sorry, but I just don’t think I’ll ever understand how it’s ok.
What if it was your son? Would you still feel this way? Again, not trying to start an argument.

MOO IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
So because she didn’t have the intent to kill him, that’s ok? Morally or in the eyes of the law? Genuinely not trying to be facetious or get the thread closed but just trying to understand. It’s not like she gave someone the wrong change, a common error in my trade, she had responsibilities and had managed not to kill anyone for 26 years. I’m sorry, but I just don’t think I’ll ever understand how it’s ok.
What if it was your son? Would you still feel this way? Again, not trying to start an argument.

MOO IMO
Who said it was alright? I am saying she clearly intended to taze him, not kill him. She is, and should, be charged with manslaughter. Do you agree with that charge?

MOO IMO
<modsnip> NO ONE is saying this is ok. But it was not an intentional killing. Can we agree on that?

<modsnip> NO ONE is saying this is ok. But it was not an intentional killing. Can we agree on that?
I am fine with that charge.She is clearly at fault for this but I would like more information on if she has any incidents in her past.People like her and Derek Chavin can't continue to carry a job this important that leads to lost lives.Can we agree on that point?

I am fine with that charge.She is clearly at fault for this but I would like more information on if she has any incidents in her past.People like her and Derek Chavin can't continue to carry a job this important that leads to lost lives.Can we agree on that point?
I can certainly agree that officers simply can't make this mistake. Training, training, training. I would be interested to know how much time Officer Potter has spent out on patrol, or how much recently.

I can certainly agree that officers simply can't make this mistake. Training, training, training. I would be interested to know how much time Officer Potter has spent out on patrol, or how much recently.

I agree. No they can't.

I never believed Chauvin would testify in his trial, but I do believe KP will testify in hers if it goes to trial.

Jmhoo

I think he was. And I think it’s important for the public to be made aware of those facts. Early on, the narrative was that he was stopped for having an air freshener hanging from his rear view mirror. It helps explain why the arrest escalated to the use of a taser. And we all know a terrible mistake was made and the officer will be charged.

Daunte Wright accused of choking and robbing woman at gunpoint, had arrest warrant

As Wright and Driver were waiting for their rides, the other woman who stayed behind said Wright allegedly blocked the door, preventing her from leaving. Wright then allegedly pulled a black handgun "with silver trim out from either his right waistband or his right coat pocket," pointed it at the woman and demanded the $820, the court documents say.

The victim asked him, "Are you serious?" to which he allegedly responded, "Give me the f---ing money, I know you have it," according to the court documents.

When she asked again if he was serious, he allegedly told her, "I’m not playing around."

Wright then allegedly choked the woman while trying to pull the cash out from under her bra, where she had tucked it away.

(snip)
She reportedly screamed at them to get out of her apartment, telling them that the cops were close. Wright allegedly told her he would shoot her and said, "Give me the money and we will leave, give me the money and we will go."

He allegedly tried to choke her a second time and tried to take her money, according to the court documents. Driver allegedly told her to give Wright the money. The two men then left the apartment, got into a white Cadillac, and left the scene without the money. The woman later identified Wright and Driver via photo line-ups.

the warrant was not for that offense. he apparently possessed a firearm against his probation so they sent him a summons in March which he may not ahve received so he basically FTA. it was a misd warrant.

the warrant was not for that offense. he apparently possessed a firearm against his probation so they sent him a summons in March which he may not ahve received so he basically FTA. it was a misd warrant.
Yes, he had several gun charges pending. The aggravated robbery with firearm and the later illegal possession of a firearm. Separate charges. He has been arrested on the gun charge, and out of bond and sent a Notice of Hearing. He failed to appear at that hearing, and that will almost always result in a warrant. His attorney is claiming he never got notice of the hearing, but the court reaffirmed it was sent to his address and not returned. When you get released on bond, the court will advise you it is your responsibility to make sure the court has your correct address and to advise if it changes.

Yes, he had several gun charges pending. The aggravated robbery with firearm and the later illegal possession of a firearm. Separate charges. He has been arrested on the gun charge, and out of bond and sent a Notice of Hearing. He failed to appear at that hearing, and that will almost always result in a warrant. His attorney is claiming he never got notice of the hearing, but the court reaffirmed it was sent to his address and not returned. When you get released on bond, the court will advise you it is your responsibility to make sure the court has your correct address and to advise if it changes.

fair enough, there had been discussion back and forth and wasnt sure which way it ended up.

I saw it, godawful.
He was neither shot nor tased, however.

https://twitter.com/LWitchgirl/status/1382783003546562561?s=20
The officer in the window can't shoot because that is his gun hand trapped in the window. Using his other hand just to hang on. The officer with the rifle can't shoot without hitting the officer in the window. Good restraint on his part. We will have to see how the scum was finally taken into custody. But he deserves life in prison for that crap.

The officer in the window can't shoot because that is his gun hand trapped in the window. Using his other hand just to hang on. The officer with the rifle can't shoot without hitting the officer in the window. Good restraint on hisnt part. We will have to see how the scum was finally taken into custody. But he deserves life in prison for that crap.
There was plenty of time to taze him IMO.

True, but as many have pointed out, the officer escalated the situation, as shown on the full body cam video with sound. He was standing still while the male officer was trying to cuff him until she approached him, touched him, took a card off of him and the other officer stepped aside a bit. She could have waited until he was fully cuffed.

That matters, a) because she probably realized she created this situation, which created her panic, and b) if we can be sympathetic to her panic, then we can be sympathetic with his, too. He was doing the right thing until she made that move. He had an opportunity to jump into the car before that, with just one officer next behind him, trying to handle the cuffs.

I can be and am extremely sympathetic to him, he was scared. But, I can also believe that lack of respect and mistrust on both sides is part of the problem. Police do need to be better trained - no doubt. But, I also believe at some point, kids need to be taught to respect authority as well. Fight or flight is within each of us. JMHO

So because a case like like happened cops should go with deadly force quicker? That's a dangerous thing to give police that much power.

No, but she didn't try to use deadly force. She tried to use a taser which is NOT deadly. Yes, she made a MISTAKE, she is human. And, she will pay for that mistake with her freedom, her job, and her mental health.

But, you keep claiming that the kid had the right to fear police because of the color of his skin. Can't the same hold true that cops now have a greater fear because of the badge that they wear? The few bad apples on both sides of the equation have made it harder. I can't see any reason to believe that this was race driven. They had probable cause to stop him, they had probable cause to arrest him, he tried to flee. Yes, getting back in the vehicle was fleeing - just like his previous experience, only this time he had a motor vehicle. He didn't deserve to die, but I see an officer trying to use non-lethal means to stop a fleeing criminal. Isn't that what we have been asking of cops? Non-lethal means of stopping the criminals? This was a terrible, terrible tragedy all the way around.

In 26 years she should be very experienced.

With 26 years of experience driving a car, I have seen people accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and run in to a home or a business. With 26 years of experience, I have seen people make mistakes and cause damage or death or financial loss. We do not know what was going on in her life leading up to this incident. She is human. She made a mistake and she will pay for it. But, there is NO evidence that she intended to kill this boy. There is NO evidence that it wasn't just a mistake. You cannot make up what you THINK she might have been thinking vs what we see and hear on the video. She has no long record of being racist or a record of having complaints filed against her for bad behavior. That would come out. We know it will especially in this high profile case.

With 26 years of experience driving a car, I have seen people accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and run in to a home or a business. With 26 years of experience, I have seen people make mistakes and cause damage or death or financial loss. We do not know what was going on in her life leading up to this incident. She is human. She made a mistake and she will pay for it. But, there is NO evidence that she intended to kill this boy. There is NO evidence that it wasn't just a mistake. You cannot make up what you THINK she might have been thinking vs what we see and hear on the video. She has no long record of being racist or a record of having complaints filed against her for bad behavior. That would come out. We know it will especially in this high profile case.
BBM. But that is exactly what you are doing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks