GUILTY NY - Christopher Grover, 30, shot to death, Poughkeepsie, 28 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

Monday, December 9th:
*Review Hearing (re Sentencing) (@ am ET) – NY – Christopher Grover (30) (Sept. 28, 2017, Poughkeepsie, shot in head) - *Nicole “Nikki” Addimando (28) arrested (9/28/17) charged (10/2/17), indicted (6/27/18) & arraigned (7/2/18) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree manslaughter, 2nd degree manslaughter & 2nd degree criminal possession of a weapon. Plead not guilty. $300K cash or $600K bond.
Trial started 3/18/19. 12 jurors are 8 women & 4 men; the 6 alternates are 2 women & 4 men. Trial ended on 4/12/19: Found guilty of all charges. Original sentencing date was 5/20/19, now scheduled for 12/13/19 pending motion for new sentencing.
For 2nd degree murder: maximum sentence of 25-years-to-life in prison; 2nd degree criminal possession of a weapon, a charge punishable by 3 ½ years- to 15-years in prison.

Court hearings, jury selection & trial (Days 1-14; 3/18/19-4/4/19) & thru 9/10/19 reference post #197 here:
GUILTY - NY - Christopher Grover, 30, shot to death, Poughkeepsie, 28 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

9/11/19 Update: The defense is aiming to prove it is more likely true than not that she was a victim of domestic violence at the time she shot Grover and that the abuse was a major factor in her crime. The three-day hearing before Judge Edward McLoughlin was the first step in that process. Addimando’s representation now has until Oct. 16 to submit its final statements. The Putnam County District Attorney's Office will then have until Nov. 13 to submit its response. The defense will have two more weeks to submit a final response before their next scheduled court appearance on Nov. 27. Sentencing scheduled for 12/13/19.
11/27/19 Update: Only attorneys for this hearing. Next review hearing with defendant on 12/9.

Anyone hear what might have happened at the court hearing? I don't see her on 12/13 when her sentencing is supposed to be. Continued??
TIA!
animated-smileys-christmas-124.gif

just received a google alert....

Nicole Addimando sentencing scheduled for Feb. 11; reduced sentencing decision set for Feb. 5

The sentencing of Nicole Addimando will wait until 2020.

Dutchess County Judge Edward McLoughlin will determine whether Addimando qualifies to be sentenced under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act, which would allow for a drastically reduced sentence, on Feb. 5. From there, Addimando's sentencing is scheduled for Feb. 11.
[.....]
In making his determination, McLoughlin will be reviewing thousands of pages of transcripts from the trial, submitted evidence and exhibits related to the case.
[.....]
The Town of Poughkeepsie woman faces a maximum sentence of 25-years-to-life in prison, but that range could be reduced to 5-to-15 years depending on the outcome of the proceedings.

Wednesday, February 5th:
*Review Hearing (re Sentencing) (@ am ET) – NY – Christopher Grover (30) (Sept. 28, 2017, Poughkeepsie, shot in head) - *Nicole “Nikki” Addimando (28) arrested (9/28/17) charged (10/2/17), indicted (6/27/18) & arraigned (7/2/18) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree & 2nd degree manslaughter & 2nd degree criminal possession of a weapon. Plead not guilty. $300K cash or $600K bond.
Trial started 3/18/19. 12 jurors are 8 women & 4 men; the 6 alternates are 2 women & 4 men. Trial ended on 4/12/19: Found guilty of 2nd degree murder & 2nd degree criminal possession of a handgun, the most severe charges she could have been convicted of. Original sentencing date was 5/20/19, now scheduled for 12/13/19 pending motion for new sentencing.
For 2nd degree murder: maximum sentence of 25-years-to-life in prison; 2nd degree criminal possession of a weapon, a charge punishable by 3 ½ years- to 15-years in prison.

Court hearings, jury selection & trial (Days 1-14; 3/18/19-4/4/19) & thru 11/27/19 reference post #201 here:
GUILTY - NY - Christopher Grover, 30, shot to death, Poughkeepsie, 28 Sept 2017 *Arrest*
12/9/19 Update: Dutchess County Judge Edward McLoughlin will determine whether Addimando qualifies to be sentenced under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act, which would allow for a drastically reduced sentence, on Feb. 5. From there, Addimando's sentencing is scheduled for Feb. 11. Addimando faces a maximum sentence of 25-years-to-life in prison, but that range could be reduced to 5-to-15 years depending on the outcome of the proceedings.

Nicole Addimando 'had the opportunity to safely leave,' denied lenient sentencing: Judge

Feb 5, 2020
In both versions of the story, she was holding the gun in her hand and, in the opinion of Judge Edward McLoughlin, could have left the home that night or numerous times previously without pulling the trigger.

As such, McLoughlin decided Addimando should not be sentenced under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act.

"According to the defendant's own testimony, (Addimando) had the opportunity to safely leave her alleged abuser before September 27th," he wrote in his decision, issued Wednesday in Dutchess County Court. "(Addimando) had the opportunity to safely leave early in the evening of September 27th before she shot Christopher Grover. (Addimando) had the opportunity to safely leave her home the moment before she shot Christopher Grover. She did not choose these options."

The Poughkeepsie woman, convicted in April of second-degree murder in the death of Grover, will face a minimum sentence of 15 years to life and a maximum of 25 years to life, when she is sentenced on Feb. 11 in Dutchess County Court.

She will be sentenced tomorrow. I feel so bad for those kids. I’ve seen the sadness on their faces in pictures the family shares. Everyone loses in this situation no matter the sentence.

Tuesday, February 11th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ am ET) – NY – Christopher Grover (30) (Sept. 28, 2017, Poughkeepsie, shot in head) - *Nicole “Nikki” Addimando (28/now 30) arrested (9/28/17) charged (10/2/17), indicted (6/27/18) & arraigned (7/2/18) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree & 2nd degree manslaughter & 2nd degree criminal possession of a weapon. Plead not guilty. $300K cash or $600K bond.
Trial started 3/18/19. 12 jurors are 8 women & 4 men; the 6 alternates are 2 women & 4 men. Trial ended on 4/12/19: Found guilty of 2nd degree murder & 2nd degree criminal possession of a handgun, the most severe charges she could have been convicted of. Original sentencing date was 5/20/19, now scheduled for 12/13/19 pending motion for new sentencing.

Court hearings, jury selection & trial (Days 1-14; 3/18/19-4/4/19) & thru 11/27/19 reference post #201 here:

12/9/19 Update: Dutchess County Judge Edward McLoughlin will determine whether Addimando qualifies to be sentenced under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act, which would allow for a drastically reduced sentence, on Feb. 5. From there, Addimando's sentencing is scheduled for Feb. 11. Addimando faces a maximum sentence of 25-years-to-life in prison, but that range could be reduced to 5-to-15 years depending on the outcome of the proceedings.
2/5/20 Update: Judge Edward McLoughlin said could have left the home that night or numerous times previously without pulling the trigger. As such, McLoughlin decided Addimando should not be sentenced under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act. Sentencing scheduled for 2/11/20.

just watched the 48 hours episode on this

never had heard of it before. after watching the episode and reading this thread i'll keep my personal thoughts private as i think it doesn't really help this thread at all

all i will say is, no one wins in a case like this, its sad to me how segregated both sides are through this tragedy

She was granted the right to have her appeal heard.

Nicole Addimando murder conviction, sentencing appeal to be heard

Two years after being found guilty of murder, Nicole Addimando's appeal will be heard this month.

Last August, the Town of Poughkeepsie woman filed an appeal seeking her conviction to be overturned or that she be resentenced under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act.

Attorney Benjamin Ostrer, who represented Addimando in the trial, confirmed the appeal argument is scheduled for April 22.

She was granted the right to have her appeal heard.

Nicole Addimando murder conviction, sentencing appeal to be heard

Two years after being found guilty of murder, Nicole Addimando's appeal will be heard this month.

Last August, the Town of Poughkeepsie woman filed an appeal seeking her conviction to be overturned or that she be resentenced under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act.

Attorney Benjamin Ostrer, who represented Addimando in the trial, confirmed the appeal argument is scheduled for April 22.

Right, she was granted the right to appeal. I realize the way I worded it is confusing.

Thursday, April 22nd:
*Appeal Argument Hearing (@ am ET) – NY – Christopher Grover (30) (Sept. 28, 2017, Poughkeepsie, shot in head) - *Nicole “Nikki” Addimando (28/now 30) arrested (9/28/17) charged (10/2/17), indicted (6/27/18) & arraigned (7/2/18) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree & 2nd degree manslaughter & 2nd degree criminal possession of a weapon. Plead not guilty. $300K cash or $600K bond. Trial started 3/18/19. 12 jurors are 8 women & 4 men; the 6 alternates are 2 women & 4 men. Trial ended on 4/12/19: Found guilty of 2nd degree murder & 2nd degree criminal possession of a handgun, the most severe charges she could have been convicted of. Original sentencing date was 5/20/19, now scheduled for 12/13/19 pending motion for new sentencing. 2/11/20 Sentenced 2nd degree murder: 15 years to life & a maximum of 25 years to life, includes time served & 2nd degree possession of weapon to 15 years in prison, with 5 years post-release supervision. The 2 sentences running concurrently.
Court hearings, jury selection & trial (Days 1-14; 3/18/19-4/4/19) & thru 2/5/20 reference post #208 here:

2/11/20 Update: For second-degree murder: a minimum sentence of 15 years to life and a maximum of 25 years to life. Her sentence includes time served, and for the second-degree criminal possession of a weapon; she was sentenced to 15 years in prison for that charge, with five years post-release supervision, with the two sentences running concurrently.
4/16/21 Update: Last August Addimando filed an appeal seeking her conviction to be overturned or that she be resentenced under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act. Appeal granted. Attorney Benjamin Ostrer, who represented Addimando in the trial, confirmed the appeal argument is scheduled for April 22.

Nicole Addimando appeal concerns Domestic Violence act, abuse

April 23, 2021
“Does (a criminal act) have to be a sense of immediacy as to spatial and time orientation?” Judge William Mastro asked Putnam County Assistant District Attorney Larry Glasser during a virtual appellate court hearing Thursday. “Does the act apply because of the history (of abuse), or does the state require imminency of conduct that creates the reaction that ends up in the homicide that then triggers the applicability of the act?”

Glasser, one of the attorneys who prosecuted Addimando’s case, responded “Respectfully, your honor, I believe it’s somewhere in-between. I don’t think it requires imminency like justification (of a crime) does … but it also certainly is not the purpose of the act, and I know this is not what Your Honor is suggesting, that a domestic violence victim has carte blanche to kill their abuser because they were abused.”

Addimando was convicted of second-degree murder in April 2019 after shooting and killing Grover, her live-in boyfriend and father of her children. She never denied the shooting, but claimed she did so after years of physical and emotional abuse. Prosecutors have long argued that while she may have been a victim, there was no evidence directly proving Grover was the culprit of the abuse.

Nicole Addimando denied judgment under Domestic Violence Act

April 23, 2021
Prosecutors claim Grover was asleep on the couch when he was shot and killed, pointing toward a "hard contact wound" to his temple caused by the muzzle of the gun being held tightly against his skin.

In both versions of the story, she was holding the gun in her hand and, in the opinion of Judge Edward McLoughlin, could have left the home that night or numerous times previously without pulling the trigger.

As such, McLoughlin decided Addimando should not be sentenced under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act.

"According to the defendant's own testimony, (Addimando) had the opportunity to safely leave her alleged abuser before September 27th," he wrote in his decision, issued Wednesday in Dutchess County Court. "(Addimando) had the opportunity to safely leave early in the evening of September 27th before she shot Christopher Grover. (Addimando) had the opportunity to safely leave her home the moment before she shot Christopher Grover. She did not choose these options."

Why was the laptop in the tub? Odd clue in polarizing murder case

Krauss points to evidence from the crime scene as proof of Addimando's deceit. At the scene Grover's laptop was found in water in the tub, and his camera on the floor. Addimando's attorneys suggested Grover may have placed the laptop in the tub and thrown the camera for the same reason: to destroy evidence that he had been sexually abusing Addimando and taping it.

"She claimed that, in this camera, there would be evidence of the allegation of abuse," says Krauss. "We recovered that camera ... there were nothing but family pictures." No evidence of abuse was found on the recovered laptop, either.

Why, asked Krauss, would Grover try to destroy devices that had nothing on them?

"I think," Krauss says, "she tried to create a crime scene to make it look like he had something to hide."

I’m sorry, but after watching this trial, I feel the jury made the right decision.
I feel terrible if she was ever abused, as she claims, but I feel there was more evidence to show her character and she didn’t come off, to me, as a battered woman. Now I understand those characteristics vary by person and situation, but I felt this case was very surprising to me. I initially wondered what led up to this, but now I feel that she was looking for a way out and the cps visit pushed her to it. JMO of course. I feel sorry for the kids, and I got a bit irritated when I read the comment from Elizabeth Clifton that she gave the journal after the verdict. She was a supporter of Nikki and she said “We’re heartbroken and devastated and we are thinking of Nikki’s (two children) who will go to sleep without their mother.”
Ummm I’m sorry but that’s because their mother chose to shot their father. I don’t feel sorry for her. I feel sorry for the kids and it’s sad.

Just saw this case on ID- these cases are so difficult trying to figure out who is telling the truth- I wound up believing she was guilty of murder. I really get so tired of women who kill a partner alleging abuse- often it is not true --but I have seen too many trials where juries really fall for the abuse excuse. Of course each case must be adjudicated on its own merits. I just did not find her believable. In any event her sentence was ultimately reduced to 7 1/2 years. One thing is clear, the dead person can't contradict the allegations.

I just watched her 20/20 show called "Kill or Be Killed" which came out in February of this year.

Her appeal was approved and she will be released in 18 months (in 2024). The appeal board believes that the pictures she presented were not allowed in court appropriately and ruled against the judge in her original court case.

There is a clemency appeal that has been sent to the governor of her state to have her released even earlier.

The governor have not yet approved the clemency. She stands strongly on her appeal that she was a domestic violence survivor.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back