Identified! CA - Yosemite Summit Meadow, WhtFem, 20-23, Henry Lee Lucas Victim, 1983 - Patricia 'Patty' Hicks

Patricia Jean Schnieder (MP# 1612) also bears a striking resemblance and the town where she disappeared (Pedley, CA) is pretty much a straight shot via 395 to Yosemite Nat'l Park.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original
Original

I think this looks good. Here is her thread CA - CA - Patricia Jean Schneider, 25, Pedley, 31 July 1982 for the ones who want to take a look.

Fingers crossed, I hope she is identified, the Namus file is still down.

Patricia does look really promising, but her Namus file is still up? If Yosemite JD is Patricia, then shouldn't both Namus files be taken down?

Here's Patricia's Namus link:

That's exactly what I'm wondering. At this point, I'm near convinced that Patricia is Jane Doe. The resemblance is just too accurate. I'm assuming that the dramatic changes in reconstruction photo (hair color, eyes, freckles) have to do with phenotyping. I wonder if they've narrowed down Jane Doe's DNA to a group/family and now there's some lag time confirming? If they have full DNA profiles for both (I'm almost certain they have Patricia's) then you would think it would be a quick, clear-cut 24-72 hours. I wish I knew!

Patricia does look really promising, but her Namus file is still up? If Yosemite JD is Patricia, then shouldn't both Namus files be taken down?

Here's Patricia's Namus link:

Doesn't necessarily mean anything; each page is controlled by that case's LE. Some agencies prefer to make the page invisible as soon as they have a possible match, while others leave it up until the match is confirmed and announced, just in case.

Me too - I'm curious to know the UP's name. Is it usually up to the family's discretion when a name isn't released? Or is it possible the identification led to a re-opening of a cold case?

It can be when there's no crime involved, for instance an accident victim or suicide, but usually a murder victim's identity will be released eventually. Since she was thought to be a murder victim, it's quite likely there's further investigation going on, and there could be issues with locating next of kin in a case this old.

Jane Doe gets a brief mention in this article:

Gabby Petito's Death Highlights Cold Case Mysteries at National Parks

bbm.
Yosemite National Park in California also became the scene of a murder investigation in the spring of 1983 after the partial remains of a homicide victim were found in the park's Summit Meadow along Glacier Point Road.

Forensic anthropologists believe the victim was at least in her late teens but could have been as old as 30.

Authorities said the suspect in the case, Henry Lee Lucas, was interviewed in the 1980s and died in prison in 2001. He had information about the murder that had not been made public and could only be known by the person who committed the crime.

Lucas stated the victim was a female hitchhiker that he picked up on Highway 41 between Fresno, Calif. and Yosemite National Park in the early 1980s.

The woman's remains have never been identified and she is still only known as Jane Doe.

... which brings me to something I've been meaning to say for a while and have been pointing out in several other threads: How certain are we that this Jane Doe has been identified? I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, -I would love to see her true name come back to her- but just because a NamUs page is down doesn't always mean the UID is identified, and the DoeNetwork has also been too hasty announcing IDs in the past to point where I would like to see some sort of official statement from LE/ME of said identification before popping the champagne, so to speak.

IMHO/JMO

... which brings me to something I've been meaning to say for a while and have been pointing out in several other threads: How certain are we that this Jane Doe has been identified?
I'm sure has been identified and, as in WCJD's case, NamUs removed her 1-2 days after the results came in and the family was notified. Someone is being hyperactive. They usually wait until the family is ready but not this time. The statement will come but it might take a while

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back