CA - Hannah Williams, 17, fatally shot by police on freeway, Fullerton, 5 July 2019

All I see in the Video is the police officer getting out of his car and opening fire.
I can see where her parents would be very upset.
Did the police officer tell her to step out of the car?
Of course she would be holding a cell phone to trying to call her parents.

I very much doubt that the officer told Hannah to step out of the car. This is because the car was in in a traffic lane facing oncoming traffic. Also, she didn't call her parents. Ninety minutes after the shooting incident, her father called 911 about his missing daughter. He said they haven't been able to contact her.

P.S. You mentioned a "Nathan DS" previously. I'm curious, what is that? Thanks.

I suspected that this may be a suicide by cop. I was disappointed in the family's spin on it from the beginning.

I'm generally on the side of the family in these cases. But this one was a stretch from the beginning. I don't like that because it takes away credibility from the true unjustified police shootings.

It was clear that this cop didn't stop on the way to the vet to kill this girl. It didn't make sense why Hannah was driving the rental car.

I also didn't believe the cop knew Hannah was a POC or LGBTQ when he shot her. So I didn't believe that factored in either.

Focusing on helping other LGBTQ teens instead of attacking law enforcement would be a better use of the family's time.

I still wish the officer had waited to fire, but it wasn't my life on the line. Hopefully the officer can recover from this.

Sorry Hannah felt this was her only option.
It will take time but most likely they will. They will second guess themselves and have a ton of guilty feelings for while because they had to shoot someone who wasn't holding a real weapon but their training kicked in.

I've seen first hand what an officer goes through when they have to shoot and kill someone and it's rough to see the emotions they go through when it happens. They hate having to have pulled the trigger but when their or a fellow LEs life is on the line, they do what they have to do to go home to their families.

Obviously her parents are going to be upset, their daughter is dead and there is video of it.

However, I think a lot of people feel misled by the family as well. When this first came out I thought it sounded like a suicide by cop. However, it was framed as Hannah took the vehicle, with permission, to run a quick errand and the cop shot her on the freeway. So I thought maybe I was wrong. That isn't what happened. Not even close.

I fully believe Hannah took off intending to end her life. Whether it was planned, impulsive, due to a medication change or improper dose, I have no idea. Whether she intended suicide by cop all along or decided that would be easier than doing it herself, I don't know.

However, I think that was her intent when she saw this marked squad vehicle and sped past him. Basically, she was baiting the cop to pull her over. I'm guessing suicide by cop was her plan since she did have the replica gun, unless we find out that was already in the vehicle for some reason.

If Hannah had changed her mind and didn't want the cop to shoot her she probably would have just stayed in the vehicle. She got out, stood facing him, shooting stance, brought both hands up and pointed at the officer. Cell phone or gun, he's not going to be able to tell before he's shot. The intent was clear, Hannah wanted the officer to believe she was going to shoot him. That is what the officer believed.

I think this officer did better than many we have seen. I wish he'd had time to take cover once she pointed it at him, or maybe taken cover initially and waited for her to come out where he could see her. Maybe he'd have waited for an actual shot fired in that circumstance? I don't know. I can't ask him to do that, though I know some cops have.

After she's shot you can see Hannah fall and the trajectory of her fall matches where the replica gun ended up. This wasn't a replica that showed up after the fact, it was there the whole time.

When an officer involved shooting occurs and a completely false narrative is given, that does not help. It temporarily inflames activists and others against law enforcement. However, once the truth is revealed... the activists vanish, their support is retracted and the sympathy for the family turns to anger at being misled.

Then the next unjustified officer involved shooting is looked at with skepticism. Just like false claims of abductions, or false allegations of rape, or any other "boy who cried wolf" scenario. It makes it more difficult for the actual victims to get justice. It makes the situation even more difficult for the good cops. It's just a no win situation.

I very much doubt that the officer told Hannah to step out of the car. This is because the car was in in a traffic lane facing oncoming traffic. Also, she didn't call her parents. Ninety minutes after the shooting incident, her father called 911 about his missing daughter. He said they haven't been able to contact her.

P.S. You mentioned a "Nathan DS" previously. I'm curious, what is that? Thanks.

I believe that "Nathan DS" was an auto correct or a typo meant to say "hand".

You are correct Hannah didn't try to call her parents, she wasn't even answering her parents phone calls. They had been frantically trying to reach her as they were concerned that she might be suicidal. They eventually reported her missing due to those concerns about 90 minutes after the shooting. They were correct to be frantic that she may harm herself.

@MsFacetious
Thank you for your ^ summary of the 15 min vid.
Fullerton PD did an excellent job of explaining the context, the sequence of events.
Showing some of the vid in slo-mo and capturing some still pix highlighted the crucial moments and why the LEO did what he did.

Ssad, sad, sad for every one involved.

Still catching up but wanted to add/say/agree that I’m sure the officer is very sad that he HAD to do that. He will live with that for the rest of his life.

It’s clear the officer’s actions were justified, imo.

My question is since her father had said on the 911 call that he was afraid of her harming herself, if her immediate thought was suicide by cop — Because anyone else is going to put their hands up. Anyone that points something at a cop, especially what appears to be a gun, knoooows what’s going to happen.

Yes. I think suicide by cop was her plan once she saw the cop. Maybe she decided that would take the "responsibility" of taking her life out of her hands? Maybe she thought that would make it not a "sin?" Maybe she was worried that she would not be successful at suicide but thought the cop would definitely succeed. Who knows.

There was no surprise that she was shot, or asking why she was shot. That was what she wanted. I think once it happened she had a change of heart, but it was too late. That would be the hardest thing for me as a parent. Hearing her beg for help and knowing nothing could be done.

After grandstanding, then wiping egg from his face when the body cam footage was released, attorney Lee Merritt has found another angle. He now claims procedures weren't followed. Check out his Facebook post linked below. He does have his adoring fans.

Lee Merritt

I can mostly agree with that post. At least he didn't just wipe all mention of Hannah when the footage was released.

I think that it's possible the other bystander influenced his decision to get out of the vehicle immediately. He is having to tell that person to stay back several times while he's also trying to secure Hannah and the weapon. It's possible he was concerned that Hannah would be a danger to other civilians that are not visible in the footage.

So it's possible that it was the specifics of the situation that caused him to not take cover. I do absolutely wish that he had. I believe this officer has more compassion than many. I think he likely would have ultimately realized Hannah was only a danger to herself. If this had occurred in another location where he felt taking cover was an option, I think the outcome would have been different.

I am glad they are accepting that this was a suicide by cop. That is a step in the right direction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back