AL AL - Traci Pittman Kegley, 30, Elmore County, 26 April 1998

1999 cold case arrest renews hope, interest in local unsolved cases
March 21 2019
"Traci Kegley, 30, disappeared in 1998 in Elmore County. Her car was found abandoned with her young daughter inside, who was unharmed. Kegley was never seen again. Foul play is expected.

11-year-old Shannon Paulk was killed in Autauga County in 2001. Her body found by hunters. Paulk’s killer is still in the wind.

“We always have hope, everyday we have hope that something will develop, something will turn up, something will be found that will give us direction,” Houston said.

For Houston, the cases are personal. He’s spent the better part of 20 years with the victims’ families sorting through leads. He says it’s his mission to close these cases with arrests before he retires at the end of his term, a mission he believes is still within reach.

“I saw the other day they had DNA evidence to establish who Jack the Ripper was - that’s incredible,” Houston said of the scientific advancements. “I hope it doesn’t take as long to solve our cases as it did Jack the Ripper.”

In 2018, a massive week-long search effort into Kegley’s disappearance brought droves of law enforcement to the Friendship Community in Elmore County.

Millions of dollars of equipment were utilized in the search, a $25,000 reward was on the table for anyone with information about Kegley’s disappearance.

Despite the unmatched effort on land and in water, the search turned over few leads.

“We had some stuff we sent to forensics on the Kegley case from the last search that we haven’t received anything of value on,” Houston explained."
Anyone with information on either case is asked to call CrimeStoppers, no matter how insignificant the tip may be. Callers can remain anonymous and still qualify for a cash reward if the information leads to an arrest. The number is 334-215-STOP (7867)."

One of the highest profile missing persons cases in Elmore County: Traci Pittman Kegley. She went missing in 1998, and her car was later recovered on Old Georgia Road near Wetumpka with her toddler safe inside.

In 2018 more than two dozen law enforcement agencies set up a command post in rural Elmore County for a week after they received a viable tip that Kegley’s remains could be in a wooded area near Friendship. The massive four-day search culminated with a combined total of 1,551 miles walked by humans. There were 2,200 photos taken from above by drones, and 35 highly-trained and certified K-9 units were involved. No arrests resulted in the findings.

Tips surface in Elmore County missing persons cases

Trace Evidence podcast episode 155 just released about Traci.
Yes, I listened to it, and it triggered my memory back to when it first happened. I have not been successful in finding anything to say what those 3 people at the gas station and Traci were 'arguing' about. It is sad there is virtually no information s many years after her disappearance to give even a little bit of clarity. LE have been so tight lipped, I almost feel it's someone who has some pull or status in the area. So much if the information surrounding it all is very vague. But even the property which was searched with some 'evidence' that seems to have gone nowhere, usually someone will feret out even the property owners name etc. But nothing.

I just listened to the Trace Evidence podcast too. This is the first I have heard of Traci's case. I really wonder if they do have suspects but are releasing the information. I also saw on the Charley Project that Traci's divorce was final 16 days prior to her disappearance. I wonder how her relationship was with her exhusband. Was he ever consider a suspect?

Traci Pittman Kegley – The Charley Project

I just listened to the Trace Evidence podcast too. This is the first I have heard of Traci's case. I really wonder if they do have suspects but are releasing the information. I also saw on the Charley Project that Traci's divorce was final 16 days prior to her disappearance. I wonder how her relationship was with her exhusband. Was he ever consider a suspect?

Traci Pittman Kegley – The Charley Project
My feeling on the ex is that he's been cleared. My sense with all the secrecy involved is that it's someone or a relative of someone who is very prominent in that area. In what capacity I don't know, but its almost like there is an unspoken nervousness about giving any inference on any suspects, which to me seem to be the 3 there was some argument with at the gas station. I haven't come across anything to even say what the argument was about....

usually it is the husband or ex-husband who kills the wife or ex-wife or perhaps he sent someone to do it or he went with the murderer to meet them

It has been 25 years since Traci Pittman Kegley was last seen in Elmore County.

The young mother had borrowed a credit card from her parents Steven and Linda Pittman to purchase gas on April 26, 1998 from a convenience store near the intersection of Redland Road and U.S. Highway 231. The next day Kegley’s 1993 Geo Storm was found on Old Georgia Road with her 2-year-old daughter Peyton safely inside but no sign of Kegley.

Kegley’s mother Linda Pittman said it was unlike her daughter to just go missing.

“She was the most caring and sweetest person ever,” Pittman said. “She was always wanting to help others.”

Twenty five years later and it is still hard for Pittman to speak about her daughter, especially not knowing what happened.

“We miss her something terrible and hope one day we will find answers,” Pittman said.

According to court records Kegley filed for a divorce in February 1998 after a separation that started in December 1997. The divorce was final on April 11, 1998.

Kegley was seen alive 15 days later.

April 27, 2023

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available. Deep caries #13. Mesial surface missing #18. Radiographs of left side only.
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available
<<Kegley disappeared 16 days after her divorce had become final and one day before she was to start a job as a dental assistant in Montgomery.

Kegley is a trained phlebotomist, a technician who draws blood, and had worked at the Alabama Reference Laboratory in downtown Montgomery and Russell Medical Center in Alexander City. She had moved in with her mother and mother's husband in their Lake Martin home near Eclectic after Kegley had separated from her husband in 1998.>>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back