MO MO - Betty Alexander, 69, Sullivan, 11 April 2019

Wikipedia says that Sullivan only had a population of 7000 people at the time of the 2010 Census.

Other than demographics -- older Caucasian female -- not aware of connections.

Hope LE is looking....

jmho ymmv lrr

It's not a big town. Used to have a very low crime rate. The police chief recently announced his retirement. Maybe new leadership will help.

I came by to find if Betty had a personal FB page, but after quickly skimming through the 19 pages of this thread I didn't find a link. I'm curious to see if a particular someone from Springfield, MO is listed as a friend.

Sullivan is quite a long drive from Springfield. Its not like someone would just take a casual trip there to drop in on a friend. IIRC, its like a 2-3 hr drive.

Sullivan is quite a long drive from Springfield. Its not like someone would just take a casual trip there to drop in on a friend. IIRC, its like a 2-3 hr drive.

I realize that, but there are a couple of interesting people who have connections to both Springfield and Sullivan. Most likely the actors in each case aren't the same, but I was going to check it out. ;) I'm sure LE will put the pieces together if they fit the same puzzle. TY!

Why are the new stories published today still reflecting the same age (69) that she was at the time of her disappearance? Most missing person flyers and articles state the age of said person to date.

It's not a big town. Used to have a very low crime rate. The police chief recently announced his retirement. Maybe new leadership will help.
Oh now that is encouraging, new leadership can bring about unexpected changes, new vision, new ideas, new priorities. Here’s to hoping Betty goes to the top of the list!

It's an hour long, wish I had time to listen. Is there anything new in the podcast?

I haven't read the Betty's entire thread about her disappearance, but the podcaster reached out to Betty's sons about her going missing. The one son sent something nasty back to her, and the other son didn't respond at all. From what I gather from the podcast - Does the one son know something about Betty's disappearance that he won't talk about?

I would think if my mom went missing, I would do all I could to keep her disappearance from going cold. JMO

I haven't read the Betty's entire thread about her disappearance, but the podcaster reached out to Betty's sons about her going missing. The one son sent something nasty back to her, and the other son didn't respond at all. From what I gather from the podcast - Does the one son know something about Betty's disappearance that he won't talk about?

I would think if my mom went missing, I would do all I could to keep her disappearance from going cold. JMO

I don't understand it at all.....The family dynamics are complicated to say the least. They seem to have different views on everything. There was this site were the brothers and their spouses made a statement. It's gone now, but it was very sad to see that sister and brothers couldn't come to terms for the better course: finding Betty.

As you can see the last post was somewhere in August 2019, where the Bring Betty Home FB site run by the daughter is updates quiet regularly. Maybe it was just run long enough to turn away suspicions, but also somehow to short in the whole context, IMO. It looks like the brothers don't bother to find her through social media or podcasts, but maybe they hired PI's.

What if she wondered off.....I think they would have found her remains by now. The fact that they didn't makes me feel the body was concealed somehow and foul play might be the case. But by who? I hope LE has a better view on all of it. As far a I know there was never a public statement from them about the status of the case or details about the investigation (as far as there was one) Maybe the new podcast (which is great they did it) will give more info and answer some questions we have.

ps. The uncle moving into her apartment after she went missing still bothers me a lot, but I can't lay my finger on it. One part of the problem is that there are different views on her mental capacity; really demented and needed to be moved to a care house or just a little confused and still able to live on her own.

Last edited:

Thanks. One of her son's has responded to interviews in the recent past. Probably the same one who responded to this interview. He's hostile and denies a lot, but offers no answers about what happened to her.

Most frustrating that he and others were able to clean up what may have been a crime scene while local police were still treating it as just a missing person with no criminal involvement.

I drove by the apartments a couple of weeks ago. Still amazed that no one saw or did anything. The apartments are near one of the busiest intersections in town. Close to the fire station, practically within sight of City Hall, downtown business strip, etc.

I drove by the apartments a couple of weeks ago. Still amazed that no one saw or did anything. The apartments are near one of the busiest intersections in town. Close to the fire station, practically within sight of City Hall, downtown business strip, etc.

IIRC there were alleged sightings of her near the fire station and also in the City Hall. What is your opinion on this sightings...who realistic to you think they are?

IIRC there were alleged sightings of her near the fire station and also in the City Hall. What is your opinion on this sightings...who realistic to you think they are?

I believe them. She could have walked out near the fire station. It's not far from her front door, maybe the length of a city block at most.

Her daughter said she has terrible spinal problems from a car accident years ago. She has screws, etc. in her back, it's why she took the pain medication. Her daughter said she couldn't walk as far as City Hall and that's probably true. It's probably within line of sight from the other end of her apartment complex, but is still several blocks away. It seems most likely someone drove her there or she took a cab/Uber, etc.

My grandmother did that after my GF developed COPD and couldn't drive anymore. She would call a cab to go downtown to the grocery store, beauty salon, Dr. office, etc. Later, she moved to the apartments a block or so away from Betty's. She had friends there who drove each other around or my uncle would take her out when he came to town. But if she needed, the cab service was always available and reasonably priced.

Just listened to her Vanished episode and took notes- here are some interesting bits that were mentioned (these may not be new information but I can't remember everything already stated)
-her apartment complex had mostly elderly residents and was pretty safe, she had good relationships with her neighbors and they would drive her places as she did not drive
-she had been on the Fentanyl patches for about 5 years prior. As she often relied on neighbors to drive her places I think it's likely at least a few people knew she on that medication.
-the last day she was seen, the Wednesday, the clerk at City Hall, the cleaning lady, pharmacy deliverer, and neighbour and relative Jerry all saw her and no one said she was acting oddly or seemed confused.
-the "scraggly haired" man standing behind Betty at City Hall- they checked all other transactions that day and none fit that guys description. Either he was there to ask a question or get a form (not leaving a transaction) or he was there with Betty and likely drove her there. If he was not there with Betty then Betty's method of transport was unknown. I am kind of doubting she called a taxi as I believe they would have record of that, and she seemed totally fine with asking her neighbors for a ride.
(-question of mine; no CCTV at city hall??? no pictures of this mystery guy?? or have they never been released. It was not mentioned in podcast)
-Betty was at the Hall to hand in some sort of electric billing form I think, and clerk noted to LE that the form was NOT filled out in Betty's handwriting but was still signed by Betty. Daughter had actually filled out this form prior but had sent it off in the mail.. so what happened?? Did Betty photocopy the form prior to it being sent and brought it in physically? Did the letter get returned to sender and Betty brought it in? Or did Betty for some reason get a new form and got someone else to fill it out?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back