GUILTY ID - Taryn Summers, 8, sibs Tristan Sexton 17 (MISSING 10/1) & Taylor 14, safe, 15 Apr 2021 *arrest

Court Docs: 8-year-old's Emmett girl's body found in trash bag inside car

April 19, 2021

EMMETT, Idaho (CBS2) -- The body of 8-year-old Tayrn Summers was found inside a black trash bag inside a vehicle in Emmett, newly released court documents allege.

According to a probable cause affidavit, Connie Smith reported Summers missing on April 12 and told a deputy that she defecated on the carpet, used her hands to smear the feces into the carpet. The PCA says Smith, the same day, carried a sleeping Summers from her black Lexus inside her home and into a bedroom where she needed to stay due to the punishment.

[..]

The PCA says a second search was made at the property, and the young girl's body was found inside a black trash bag, on the floorboard in the second-row seating area. During an autopsy, officials say Summers had vomit on her shirt and in her hair, not feces.

The vehicle is registered to her son, David Eugene Summers, the PCA states.

During the initial investigation, "the information provided to law enforcement was Connie did not know where the key (was) for the vehicle," the PCA states.

Investigators: 8-year-old's Emmett girl's body found in trash bag in grandmother's car | ktvb.com

Updated: 2:56 PM MDT April 19, 2021

The child's grandmother, 54-year-old Connie Ann Smith of Emmett, is charged with felony failure to notify of a death and destruction of evidence.

The dead girl is believed to be 8-year-old Taryn Summers, who was reported missing from her home along Airport Road April 12. Investigators have not officially released the name of the victim - referred to by the initials T. S. in court documents - but the sheriff's office has told KTVB the body is believed to be that child.

According to court documents filed in the case, Smith told the Gem County Sheriff's Office on Monday that Taryn, who lived with her, had run away. Smith added that she had cut a section of carpet out of the girl's bedroom and burned it because Taryn had defecated on the carpet.

Are these added charges or was the murder charge dropped? I am confused.
Appears no murder charge at this time:

Smith was originally booked into the Ada County Jail on a charge of first-degree murder, but is not currently facing any murder charge. Smith was later transferred to the Gem County Jail. She could face up to 10 years in prison on the failure to notify charge, and up to five for destruction of evidence.

[..]

Prosecutor Erick Thomson said at Smith's Monday arraignment that additional charges are expected, calling the case "disturbing and egregious." He urged the judge to set bond in the case at $1 million or more, arguing that the defendant may be a flight risk.

Investigators: 8-year-old's Emmett girl's body found in trash bag in grandmother's car | ktvb.com

Last edited:
On Wednesday, Idaho State Forensic crews returned to the house, ultimately discovering a small spot of blood on Taryn's bedroom wall. Another search of the property led investigators to a black Lexus parked in front of the house. Although the car is registered to the suspect's son, she was seen driving it the day Taryn went missing, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Taryn's body was found in a black plastic trash bag on the floor of the car's second row. Vomit was smeared on her shirt and in her hair, investigators wrote.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Smith had driven that car to the HeadStart preschool in Emmett the morning of April 12, where Taryn was seen apparently sleeping in the backseat. After driving the car back to the house, Smith carried the girl inside, according to the court document.

Detectives were also told that Taryn was made to stay in her bedroom "because of some type of punishment," according to the affidavit.

"In reviewing the probable cause affidavit, the alleged conduct is disturbing," the judge said. "Report that the child was missing. Ultimately the discovery of the deceased child on the property, I believe two days later. The potential penalty, depending on the conclusion of the investigation could be severe.”

If Smith is able to post bail, she will be required 24/7 GPS monitoring and may not leave the area.
Court Docs: 8-year-old's Emmett girl's body found in trash bag inside car

This is so disturbing. Her grandmother? No, it can’t be. Grandmothers are supposed to be a source of unconditional love, wisdom and security for their grandchildren. Did they ever have happy times together? Did Connie read Taryn books at night? Did they play games together? Did they say “I love you” to one another?

I don’t understand what went wrong. There must be so much info left out of the affidavit. Are we gonna be shocked at the cause of death? I wonder what punishments the children often got. Where is the owner of the car? Was he around? Did he live there too? Such a damn shame. RIP sweet little Taryn.

Last edited:
There's obviously some question about that for now. Murder charges were dropped. But not an accident. Neglect.
Or someone else did the actual act. Blood was found on the bedroom wall and the carpet was cut out (not buying the poop story). Something beyond neglect happened in that bedroom, imo. speculation

Beyond weird she would report a child missing but then keep the body in the car at her home.

jmo

Gem County Prosecuting Attorney Erick Thomson argued that Smith’s bail should be at least $1 million based on the “disturbing and egregious” facts of the case.

“The state is waiting for the conclusion of the investigation before making a final determination of any charges. It would be my current belief that additional charges for Ms. Smith will be coming,” Thomson said. “Based on the charges themselves, you can see the unwillingness to report and unwillingness to comply with any orders of the court.”

“She’s been here in Idaho for over 20 years and has eight children. She was given the opportunity to deliver herself to law enforcement, which she did peacefully, so that tells us she would show up (to future court dates),” Taylor said. “She’s not a person of substantial means, so any time of monetary bond would be significantly difficult for her to obtain.”

“In reviewing the probable cause affidavit, the alleged conduct is disturbing: the report that the child was missing (and) ultimately the discovery of the deceased child on the property, I believe two days later. The potential penalty, depending on the conclusion of the investigation, could be severe,” Judge Smith said. “That’s the type of thing the court gets concerned about when someone starts weighing whether or not they’re going to appear in court.”
Bail set at $800,000 in case of grandmother connected to 8-year-old's death - East Idaho News

*Eight children? Where are they? If she gets bail she can’t see anyone under 18.

Gem County Prosecuting Attorney Erick Thomson argued that Smith’s bail should be at least $1 million based on the “disturbing and egregious” facts of the case.

“The state is waiting for the conclusion of the investigation before making a final determination of any charges. It would be my current belief that additional charges for Ms. Smith will be coming,” Thomson said. “Based on the charges themselves, you can see the unwillingness to report and unwillingness to comply with any orders of the court.”

“She’s been here in Idaho for over 20 years and has eight children. She was given the opportunity to deliver herself to law enforcement, which she did peacefully, so that tells us she would show up (to future court dates),” Taylor said. “She’s not a person of substantial means, so any time of monetary bond would be significantly difficult for her to obtain.”

“In reviewing the probable cause affidavit, the alleged conduct is disturbing: the report that the child was missing (and) ultimately the discovery of the deceased child on the property, I believe two days later. The potential penalty, depending on the conclusion of the investigation, could be severe,” Judge Smith said. “That’s the type of thing the court gets concerned about when someone starts weighing whether or not they’re going to appear in court.”
Bail set at $800,000 in case of grandmother connected to 8-year-old's death - East Idaho News

*Eight children? Where are they? If she gets bail she can’t see anyone under 18.
Her children might be adults already, how hold is she?

I wonder if CS covering for somebody -- the car owner?

TS was covered in vomit. I think this child likely asphyxiated (i.e., dropped murder charges)-- until toxicology results available.

This 8-year-old child deserved so much better. :(
The vomit made me think of head trauma, specially with the blood.

Her children might be adults already, how hold is she?

The vomit made me think of head trauma, specially with the blood.
The vomit made me think of a blow to the body. Or a substance in the body. Whatever the case, it wasn't an accident or illness that put her in a plastic bag on the floor of a car.

jmo

I’m thinking a severe blow to her abdomen. I’m not apt to believe anything she is reported to have said but if the poop, vomit and blood is factual - Punched or kicked resulting in fatal damage to a vital organ are my thoughts. Vomiting and emptying of bowels is common with these internal injuries. Bleeding from abdominal injury is usually internal and contained within the abdominal cavity.

One night I woke up in the middle of the night to go pee. Lights off, trying to make my way back to my room, I fell into the sharp corner of a table into the flank side of my belly and hit my head. I went out. I just remember the pain and crawling back to my room. The next things I can barely remember are flashbacks of the firemen and first responders trying to wake me up in my bed. They said my daughter found me and called 911. There was vomit, blood and poop all over the place. I was in full code. My kidneys shut down and I was on life support for five days. The kidney damage gave me rhabdomyolysis. Anyways, turns out I had punctured my kidney and had a large hematoma on my kidney. That one fall could have been fatal if not for medical intervention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back