GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped

I was also not happy he made those statements. But, to be fair, he didn't go as far as saying her words could overturn, but they could be grounds for appeal. An appeal does not automatically mean a verdict is overturned. Unless I am missing part of his statement?

"The judge overseeing the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin on Monday harshly criticized U.S. Representative Maxine Waters' remarks on the case, saying she might have given the defense grounds for appeal in the event of a conviction."

Judge blasts U.S. Rep Maxine Waters for 'abhorrent' comments about Chauvin trial | Reuters

Might sound nitpicky, but there is a difference between an appeal and an overturn (just like there is a difference between charges and a conviction).

jmo

This article doesn't tell you the totality of his comments... he said, "I will give you that, that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal, that may result in this whole trial being overturned"

I love that Law and Crime uploads all the videos.... 1:06:30

I may be wrong, but what I think he said was "don't watch the news on tv, and don't talk to anyone."
I don't remember him mentioning anything about social media.
Even "don't talk to anyone" imo is rather vague. Does this mean don't talk to your family? Don't talk to the cashier at the grocery store?
a number of us have commented on the very casual warnings that were only started last week after the WRight murder...no have not heard social media and I don't think the judge should just assume they understand that. I believe as spoken by Mr. Nelson that will be another one of his many grounds for appeal. Most judges hammer that admonition at each break. lunch and at night. In fact I recall some asking first thing in the morning if any jurors had been approached by media or discussed the case . just sort of routine. There was none of that here.

A plurality of voters said they believe former Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin, should be found guilty in the murder of George Floyd, a new Hill-HarrisX poll finds.

Forty-seven percent of registered voters in the April 16-19 survey said Chauvin should be found guilty while 20 percent said he should be found innocent.

Thirty-three percent of respondents said they are not sure.

Poll: Plurality say Chauvin should be found guilty
and we need 100% on board...not a done deal here at all.

Was the jury specifically advised to avoid social media? I don’t recall.

I don't think they were... and I just listened to some of the comments Nelson made yesterday... he said that even he has tried to avoid all media/online activity but some has just been unavoidable.. like the ALERTS to his phone.

there were a number of reasons given...1. too soon after the crime...public would riot...2. he wanted Federal prison and immunity from civil rights litigation down the line. It will indeed be crazy if he ends up getting 3rd degree after all of this.
It would be a bigger nightmare to me if he was just convicted of manslaughter after he was willing to to plead to 3rd degree murder.

This article doesn't tell you the totality of his comments... he said, "I will give you that, that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal, that may result in this whole trial being overturned"

I love that Law and Crime uploads all the videos.... 1:06:30

Thank you for the full quote.

Fortunately he said his words after the jury left and they've been sequestered ever since. They don't know what he said.

jmo

edited to add: or was the jury still there?

I usually find myself agreeing with you about so many cases, but I must respectfully disagree with your take on this.

MW is notoriously known for saying things that incite violence, urging being very confrontational, and also urging the horrible harassment of others not in lockstep with her own ideology.

Imo, words do matter, and no one knows this any better than MW. That's why she's continued to say them. She knows people listen. They always seem to be very aggressive, confrontational statements as well just like the ones she purposefully made this past Sunday. Perhaps she was hoping some of the jurors would see, and hear them since they were at home.

But she didn't say them like she often does in WDC or the state she even represents. Imo, she went right to the very city she already knew had seen so much unrest, and horrific damage done to the businesses in this city.

So, yes, it inexcusable what she has done. If it really didn't matter then the judge wouldnt have put it in the record that her statements may wind up getting the case overturned.

Imo, no elected official anywhere nor anyone else for that matter should be saying anything that could have even the slightest possibilty it will incite violence.

She really needs to be called out for doing so by her own party. Imo.

Jmho

How do you think the Civil Rights Act of 64 became law? If people, didn't march and protest it would have never happened. If people didn't speak out, it would not have happened. If people just "stayed home..." it would not have happened. It doesn't have to be violent...it usually turns violent... because the police make it so... and when outside agitators blend in with their own agenda. Maxine Waters did not advocate violence. She advocates change.

It wasn't accepted because it was offered too soon after he was arrested.
One reason was because the deal was offered before the investigation was complete.
Another reason was because Barr thought people may have thought the deal was too lenient, and the country would burn.
Another reason was, if the deal was accepted, that would have meant Chauvin could not have had federal charges brought against him for Civil Rights violations.

So you are saying that the investigation wasn't complete when they charged him then too? I'm not disagreeing with you, I actually feel that it might be the case.

Fortunately he said his words after the jury left and they've been sequestered ever since. They don't know what he said.

jmo

N

jmo

No, he asked them to leave.

I'm sure a heart ailment or drugs killed him.It just happened to be when an officer was kneeling on his neck for nine minutes......

hmmm interesting, IMO I think if it was a heart ailment and/or drugs/stress after the struggle in the car, I think it would have happened regardless. I'm still not convinced either way of cause of death, but I'm leaning towards heart, and question Dr. Tobin's whole testimony now. Thanks for your point of view... I hope this is what the jury is doing... discussing it.

hmmm interesting, IMO I think if it was a heart ailment and/or drugs/stress after the struggle in the car, I think it would have happened regardless. I'm still not convinced either way of cause of death, but I'm leaning towards heart, and question Dr. Tobin's whole testimony now. Thanks for your point of view... I hope this is what the jury is doing... discussing it.
I just pray that George Floyd will receive justice.I'll never understand how a fellow human being can watch that tape and not see how horrific Chauvin's behavior was.

A plurality of voters said they believe former Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin, should be found guilty in the murder of George Floyd, a new Hill-HarrisX poll finds.

Forty-seven percent of registered voters in the April 16-19 survey said Chauvin should be found guilty while 20 percent said he should be found innocent.

Thirty-three percent of respondents said they are not sure.

Poll: Plurality say Chauvin should be found guilty

But doesn't designate WHICH charge? This makes me *cray cray* when such polls are done. As I don't believe that these folks who are in the polls are educated as to charges, jury directions, and elements.

Reason why I stick here, and post about such with others as to CHARGES, JURY DIRECTIONS, and ELEMENTS.

MOO

I haven't ventured to MSM in some time.... as I did with COVID iykwim

So you are saying that the investigation wasn't complete when they charged him then too? I'm not disagreeing with you, I actually feel that it might be the case.
Looks like DC was arrested and charged on May 29th which was only a few days after GF died. So the investigation had just started.

Derek Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer involved in George Floyd's death on Monday, has been charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced the charges Friday, shortly after Chauvin was taken into custody by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

George Floyd's Arresting Officer Charged With 3rd-Degree Murder, Manslaughter

There was no medical help rendered to save GF life. NONE. Chauvin refused help for GF. He could have turned him over when Lane said no pulse and started CPR. He did not and GF died. Chauvin chose death for GF.

I was just looking back to see what Chauvin's plea deal attempt was.....3rd degree. And "he was prepared to serve over 10 years in a federal prison because he believed the evidence against him was “devastating.”

So it might be possible that he gets what he actually wanted, or even the lesser charge of manslaughter.

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials...om-taking-a-third-degree-murder-plea-bargain/

Keep in mind what I posted in post #5??? or so on this thread. Aggravating of charges.

No. They could have charged him once they felt they had enough evidence to convict.
The investigation can continue after that point, and if the investigation points to innocence after he/she is charged, those charges can then be dropped.

I didn't read it. I heard the Judge say it. He told the jury at the end of the last two days "Do not talk to anyone" Those were his exact words.
So yes, Those were his jury instructions.

Oh! Gotcha! It's all in context then within his entire directions. The sentences before, after.. matter. Perhaps you can share the link for such to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member