GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine they need a reasonable amount of time to come to a decision on 2nd though, even if the other charges are decided unanimously
Yes I know, but in order for him to be convicted and sentenced, do they need to find him guilty of all charges or just one?

It’s possible the jury could find Chauvin guilty of all charges, guilty of some and not guilty of others or could acquit him of all charges. If the jury acquits him of all charges, Chauvin could be charged in federal court.

The jury could end up unable to reach a verdict on any charge, which would lead to a mistrial and would give the prosecution the opportunity to re-try the case before a new jury. It’s also possible, although unlikely, the jury reaches a partial verdict where they agree on some charges but not all.

Guilty, acquittal, mistrials all possible from Chauvin trial | king5.com
Each individual charge will stand on its own i think. If found guilty of all 3 the then sentenced on the highest charge i believe

Thanks y’all! I was confused on that part.

I would imagine they took it as don't talk about the trial.Why would you not be allowed to talk to your family at at all as in discussing what they want for dinner,lol.

This is an excellent example of how some jurors may think? It doesn't make sense for many of us as to the conclusions of others... but it needs to be respected that they understood when the judge said not to talk to anyone about the trial.. they perhaps thought they were not allowed to even speak to family members, including wife or children, cashiers, or ANYONE that they met for the entire trial.

Most folks would appreciate this was not meant for every. single.person .they.must.go.mute.

Some of us cannot fathom that someone would think so, but here we have that someone does, and we need to respect such impressions exists.

But as we even see here at Websleuths, posters such as the post you responded to... have the opinion that must be respected, that that is what they thought the judge said.

That they could not SPEAK at all to ANYONE during the trial. Many of us do not agree, but we have a poster who believes that was what was said.

And jurors will have to walk through the logic that this was a misimpression and be kind and open to explaining to a juror what most others believe. To try to turn around a juror thinking that all this time the judge said they could not talk to their wives, children etc. And that person thought that the jurors were required to be mute for the entire length of the trial to anyone, anywhere, about anything.

That will be difficult MOO.

The jury foreperson hopefully can assist such persons as to the meanings and educate them with other jurors?

Last edited:
Question: Do we know whether potential jurors were asked if they knew about Chauvin's attempted plea deal on 3rd degree?
If so are they allowed to discuss that during deliberations even if it was not mentioned during the trial (that I know of) ?

Still... his comments will influence the crowds, and so were inappropriate.

I tend to agree with you, even as I realize things could have been much more inflammatory had some others been in office for this trial. I don't believe it is the president's place to opine on ongoing trials and investigations other than to counsel calm and unity to citizens. Implying there is a "right" verdict while deliberations are ongoing isn't a good look for someone who is meant to represent our nation (even though I myself hold the opinion there there is indeed a "right" verdict - if that makes sense?)

Please notice the field full of MOOing cows that accompanies this post.

i do n
Question: Do we know whether potential jurors were asked if they knew about Chauvin's attempted plea deal on 3rd degree?
If so are they allowed to discuss that during deliberations even if it was not mentioned during the trial (that I know of) ?
ot recall that question ever being asked and no that is not proper to be discussing. That said...I am pretty confident that at least a few now about it..I did not follow things closely and knew about it.

I tend to agree with you, even as I realize things could have been much more inflammatory had some others been in office for this trial. I don't believe it is the president's place to opine on ongoing trials and investigations other than to counsel calm and unity to citizens. Implying there is a "right" verdict while deliberations are ongoing isn't a good look for someone who is meant to represent our nation (even though I myself hold the opinion there there is indeed a "right" verdict - if that makes sense?)

Please notice the field full of MOOing cows that accompanies this post.

This post here is exactly right! Thank you. I would hope non-US posters just leave it at that and be done with it. Please...

Another question: If Chauvin is unanimously found guilty of a lower charge, but jury is hung on the next more serious charge...is he convicted for that lower charge, or is it deemed a mistrial because the jury could not agree on the upper charge.

Eg: Jury finds Chauvin guilty of both manslaughter and 3rd degree, but are divided on 2nd degree.
Chauvin will still be convicted on 3rd degree, regardless of failure to come to a unanimous decision on 2nd degree...right?
Just want to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member