GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad that riots across our nation have resulted in over two billion dollars in damages over George's murder.

YET the entire majority of the country of ALL RACES immediately came together to condemn what DC did to George. Also all police departments everywhere condemned it as well.

I just find that very ironic, and very sad as well for all the businesses that have been destroyed.

Jmho

Last edited:
yes I don't think Nelson or DC were surprised...the 10 hour turn around was a clear sign...he seemed almost eager to get in the cuffs. This was all worth it getting the 2nd degree....this was great justice in action.

BBM
Yes. He kept putting his hands together behind his back!

Court tv is showing the scene at the former cup foods. There’s a chalk outline of George with wings where his body laid as he died, and under the outline it says “now I can breathe”.
The person speaking made a good point that each case must be judged on its own merit and there's danger in lumping in either extreme. Each case is unique.

I'm glad justice was served in this unique case.

I did have some doubt, however, the defense attorney lost me when he went down the carbon monoxide rabbit hole. I found that defense preposterous, and that made me question his other suppositions.
I had a problem with the 98% O2 blood level. It was never explained by the State to my satisfaction. JMO

I think we have to assume that the jurors weighed the entirety of the evidence as the trial progressed. To think otherwise is insulting to the jurors and to the whole system of justice IMO.
I totally agree.

And you know what, go ahead an appeal. Fight it. I don't care. The right decision was made today - what DC did is unacceptable and he was found guilty.

jmo

I thought I was going to be jubilant with this rightful verdict. Instead I just feel sick. Sick that a man lost his life unnecessarily. Sick, that what we've witnessed was murder. Sick, that a man has thrown his life away also due to his negligent and biased actions. Sick that there are some that support his actions. Just sick.

I agree. I’m sad. Not jubilant. Sad that we have to fight so hard for justice for black folk in this great nation of ours.

Was George Floyd an upstanding citizen? No. But he didn’t deserve the death penalty. His conduct wasn’t close to meriting what happened to him.

And the pipeline to prison that masquerades as public school in so many areas as well the inherent bias that leads to black people being pulled over more often, searched more often, arrested more often, charged more harshly, found guilty more often and sentenced more harshly than white people, for the very same conduct, leads to too many black people involved in the criminal justice system.

I remember an interview with a man who did 20 years for having pot in his car. He talked about how when it’s a white teen pulled over, the response is often to call their parents, let them off with a warning or even drive them home. (Firsthand experience- totally true). But a black kid? Such an event is life-changing. Too rarely are black people afforded the same chances.

I don’t celebrate today. A man was murdered due to a system as a whole that’s damaged. One we are all a part of.

I don’t believe cops are bad or more racist than anyone else. I think they’re part of a societal system that needs to be fixed.

They are a mirror for all Americans. Until we can all see ourselves I’m not sure how much change we can have.

Last edited:
The bystander footage is something that no reasonable human being could ever justify as anything less than murder.

They could try him 10 times over and that image of Chauvin knelt on George’s neck with the smug look on his face as George fights for his last breaths will always be the straw that broke the camels back.

DC could have had a defence team of 100 lawyers and still, that footage is something that could never be explained away as justified, NEVER.

I agree. I’m sad. Not jubilant. Sad that we have to fight so hard for justice for black folk in this great nation of ours.

Was George Floyd an upstanding citizen? No. But he didn’t deserve the death penalty. His conduct wasn’t close to meriting what happened to him.

And the pipeline to prison that masquerades as public school in so many areas as well the inherent bias that leads to black people being pulled over more often, searched more often, arrested more often, charged more harshly, found guilty more often and sentenced more harshly than whites people, for the very same conduct, leads to too many black people involved in the criminal justice system.

I remember an interview with a man who did 20 years for having pot in his car. He talked about how when it’s a white teen pulled over, the response is often to call their parents, let them off with a warning or even drive them home. (Firsthand experience- totally true). But a black kid? Such an event is life-changing. Too rarely are black people afforded the same chances.

I don’t celebrate today. A man was murdered due to a system as a whole that’s damaged. One we are all a part of.

I don’t believe cops are bad or more racist than anyone else. I think they’re part of a societal system that needs to be fixed.

They are a mirror for all Americans. Until we can all see ourselves I’m not sure how much change we can have.

This. All of this. ALL OF THIS

And the pipeline to prison that masquerades as public school in so many areas as well the inherent bias that leads to black people being pulled over more often, searched more often, arrested more often, charged more harshly, found guilty more often and sentenced more harshly than whites people, for the very same conduct, leads to too many black people involved in the criminal justice system.

Well said.

@deenafaywinter

From the pool reporter: Philonise Floyd was in the courtroom, he sat with his head bowed and his hands folded in front of his face, perhaps in prayer.
"You could hear a pin drop if the courtroom wasn’t carpeted." pool reporter said

After the verdict was read & Chauvin was handcuffed and taken into custody, Philonise Floyd hugged Blackwell, Ellison and the other prosecutor. Ellison and Blackwell heartily shook hands.
From the other pool reporter: At 3:55pm, Chauvin’s attorney tried talking to him, but he was "in a daze," staring towards the empty jury seating area. He snapped out of it after a few seconds and listened. Chauvin then turned his chair and looked back several seconds to Philonise

Philonise was still praying. Pool reporter said "I have not caught them looking at each other at the same time, but the two men are aware of each other’s presence and have stared at the other at times."

"As the first guilty verdict was read, his hands began shaking while clasped. The became shakier during the second reading. And during the third reading, his hands were shaking back and forth with his head down and eyes closed as his head nodded up and down." - pool reporter

Downstairs in the lobby, the pool reporter asked Philonise Floyd what he was praying for in court and he said, "I was just praying they would find him guilty. As an African American, we usually never get justice."

"There was no noticeable reaction from the jury. Whereas during trial they each had their own idiosyncrasies, they remained still and quiet staring at the judge until they were called upon by the judge," per today's pool reporter
@joshscampbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member