GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. I think they got it wrong but for the right reasons. I find it hard to believe they were not influenced by the intense climate. I think the state also won the jury instruction portion which allowed way more latitude than the raw reading of the law. After I saw the instructions it was over in my mind even though I thought it should have been manslaughter. It's the best decision for the country though.

I also hope it causes power tripping cops to cool their heals because I've encountered way too many in my life. Better recruiting, better screening, better education requirements and more in depth psychological analysis will help choose better cops. Unfortunately the job isn't attractive right now so it might be hard.

Do American police forces do psychological testing when looking for recruits?

Yes, the people they have sworn to protect are not the enemy. Whatever happened to community policing where cops walked the beat and actually got to know the neighbourhood instead of driving around viewing everyone through a lens of distrust.
I agree. When I was younger, it was unheard of for a cop to go searching through your car for a traffic infraction.
Now, it seems like everyone in Los Angeles is handcuffed and made to sit on the curb while police rummage through their vehicle from the videos I've watched.
Cops seem to always ask people for their ID when confronted, and check for warrants like everyone is a criminal.
I was stopped twice and searched. Once in Tx and once in Tenn. both times I never received a citation. They were just on a fishing trip. Both times using the same exact excuse that I went over the center line and they were stopping me to make sure I wasn't falling asleep.

I think Lane should go to trial. I think the video's show he tried to save Floyd's life more than once. He checked for a pulse, wanted to turn him over on his side and assisted in the ambulance. His knee wasn't on Floyd's neck.
I understand if someone dies while in the commission of a felony, and you have participated in that felony, you are guilty, however, in this case, Lane didn't volunteer. He was dispatched to the crime scene as part of his job.
After watching all of those videos, I'll go a step further by saying he shouldn't have even been fired.
MOO.

I absolutely agree. Tau and Keung even should be taken to account. But Lane wanted to do the right thing and was overruled by his FTO.

Like sacrificing one for the greater good.

Although I don't completely agree with the verdict.... I am somewhat okay with that, and probably won't even lose any sleep over it if I'm being honest. I just hope that things change, soon. JMO
If it was a sacrifice, personally i think many in authority will believe it’s been brushed under the carpet ( one bad egg and all that) and they can carry on as before

California Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters says: “I’m not celebrating, I’m relieved.”

South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, the chamber’s only Black Republican, says he is thankful for a verdict that shows “our justice system continues to become more just.” But GOP Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst says, “I guess I’m in agreement” with the jury’s decision.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California is expressing thanks to Floyd “for sacrificing your life for justice.” Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York says Congress must keep working on legislation “to bring meaningful change” to police departments.

Georgia Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock says he hopes the verdict will let “people who have seen this trauma over and over again” know the nation’s laws can give them equal protection. Warnock is pastor of the Atlanta church once led by the Rev. Martin Luther King.

Former President Barack Obama says the conviction of ex-police officer Derek Chauvin in the death of George Floyd was correct but only one step in the fight for justice.

He says in a statement that true justice requires Americans to understand that “Black Americans are being treated differently every day” and that millions live in fear that their next encounter with law enforcement could be their last.

President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris will deliver remarks Tuesday evening after the conviction of ex-police officer Derek Chauvin in the death of George Floyd.

Biden, Harris and first lady Jill Biden called members of the Floyd family moments after the verdict, according to video posted by family attorney Ben Crump.

Biden told the family, “Nothing is going to make it all better, but at least now there is some justice.”

He added, “We’re all so relieved.”
The Latest: Lawmakers react to guilty verdict in Floyd case – KSNF/KODE – FourStatesHomepage.com

We cannot forget Darnella, the young hero whose action made these charges stick. She had the courage to video this horrendous act. Without her video, I doubt there would have even been charges. Thank you Darnella. May you have peace now.

I hope that Darnella one day understands how much she did for George, and for others. By bravely standing there in the face of the police officers and filming what they were doing she brought hundreds of thousands of people all over the world out into the streets.

Those people not only wanted justice for George (and this will be George's legacy, too) they also want things to change in their own countries. For all people to be treated equally, not persecuted, fairness for all.

If it was a sacrifice, personally i think many in authority will believe it’s been brushed under the carpet ( one bad egg and all that) and they can carry on as before

I hope you are wrong. I'm so tired of politicians/officials saying all the right things but doing nothing to change it, especially the life long one's. JMO

"Scapegoat" implies he didn't deserve it and is being punished for all. However, that evil, dead stare as he killed George, looking all the while as if he was enjoying himself and getting off on it, leads me to believe he absolutely deserves his punishment and is not a scapegoat.

I am quite disappointed that people are calling Chauvin a scapegoat. He is guilty of kneeling on a man even after his death, then showed complete disrespect for the man he had just killed by dragging him up by the handcuffs and slamming him down, while the EMT was trying to work on him. He is no scapegoat. He is a man guilty of murder.

I hope that Darnella one day understands how much she did for George, and for others. By bravely standing there in the face of the police officers and filming what they were doing she brought hundreds of thousands of people all over the world out into the streets.

Those people not only wanted justice for George (and this will be George's legacy, too) they also want things to change in their own countries. For all people to be treated equally, not persecuted, fairness for all.

Here’s the original statement from the police department.
upload_2021-4-20_18-41-39.jpeg
https://www.minneapolismn.gov/media...-Public-Information-Report-GO-2020-140629.pdf

There's really nothing to celebrate. Yes, justice was served. However nobody won. It's not a game. This is all a big mess, and still is, and we need to start being kinder to each other as human beings.
No this is not a game. Maybe it's my culture showing but I'll take a cause for celebration and go for it.....while still understanding that life is hard and there is work to do. I don't require perfection to pause and celebrate, to catch my breath, hug my family, and smile.

jmo

Derek Chauvin found guilty of murder in the death of George Floyd

upload_2021-4-20_18-42-10.png
Derek Chauvin and George Floyd

upload_2021-4-20_18-42-39.png
Chauvin as the verdict is being read.

upload_2021-4-20_18-43-10.png
Derek Chauvin is handcuffed to be led away on Tuesday after a jury found him guilty of all charges.
BB1fRKeI.img

upload_2021-4-20_18-43-29.png
A person in front of Hennepin County Government Center in Minneapolis reacts after the verdict was read.

Last edited:
"Scapegoat" implies he didn't deserve it and is being punished for all. However, that evil, dead stare as he killed George, looking all the while as if he was enjoying himself and getting off on it, leads me to believe he absolutely deserves his punishment and is not a scapegoat.
All of that!
Every single word.

I'm curious if some of the Chauvin supporters watched the trial and the entire video that Darnella Frazier recorded. If after watching both, you still support Chauvin that is scary and sad. I truly think people who support him after have some kind of personality disorder. Watching that for a neurotypical human stirs discomfort, empathy, sadness, and many more feelings.

It isn't ok to be ok with watching a man being slowly killed for 9 minutes.

I am quite disappointed that people are calling Chauvin a scapegoat. He is guilty of kneeling on a man even after his death, then showed complete disrespect for the man he had just killed by dragging him up by the handcuffs and slamming him down, while the EMT was trying to work on him. He is no scapegoat. He is a man guilty of murder.

I am with you, 100,000%. If he had been acquitted, many would say that the jury followed the facts but today it seems like it is important to imply that it was pressure or emotions. I watched the trial. I saw the evidence--all of it. I agree with the verdict because the killer was heartless, continued to kneel on him like a bear does on its prey--not changing his position even when asked. Never rendered help. Used a non-authorized hold. And, when he heard he had no pulse, his face looked as blank as it did today-- stone, cold. Guilty, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth