OH - Ma’Khia Bryant, 16, fatally shot multiple times by Columbus police officer, 20 April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. They supplied the video in real-time as well as slow motion. There is no doubt she would have stabbed the girl in pink before anyone could get to her.
That's possible. I watched the video but can't make out what type of knife she has (tbh I can't see a knife at all, but that fact doesn't seem to be disputed). Surely the possible damage that may have caused is substantially less than the actual damage caused by four bullets?

That's possible. I watched the video but can't make out what type of knife she has (tbh I can't see a knife at all, but that fact doesn't seem to be disputed). Surely the possible damage that may have caused is substantially less than the actual damage caused by four bullets?

He had to make a split second decision. His goal was to save the other girl .

I just watched the slow motion. After she knocks the girl to the ground she heads toward the girl in pink. Watch her right hand! She takes the knife from the person in the hoodie ( guy?). Watch her arm, there is no doubt she was going to stab that girl.

People die from stab wounds.
Should he have done NOTHING? Just watched the girl get stabbed?
IMO he could and should have taken any number of non-lethal actions (First- WORDS, then, physically intervening, last, taser. Taking his gun out of the holster should not even have been on the table.

Stepping away because this whole situation really enrages me.

0-7 sec: The police arrive on scene, ask "Hey, what's goin' on, what's goin' on?" Appear to be asking girl in pink who is standing nearby holding a small dog & looking strangely relaxed. Girl in pink does not answer officer's question.
8 sec: Officer says "Hey, hey hey" as two girls run within just feet of them, but police do not intervene and don't appear to even move much. One girl is MB who knocks another girl to the ground but doesn't stab her once girl is lying on ground. Appears to have a small knife but can't see well in video. Seems like this would've been a good time to grab MB and de-escalate situation. Instead officer says "Hey, get down" and gets out gun.
9-14 sec: MB runs toward girl in pink. Officer shouts "get down" again and then immediately shoots her 4 times.

Police shot MB within 14 seconds of arriving on scene.

IMO, better training and better effort on part of officers could have resulted in de-escalating this situation so no one was killed. MB was just feet away from the officers with her back to them carrying a small knife and they had opportunity to wrestle her down. There was more than one officer on the scene. The shooting officer appeared frozen and the only solution he could come up with involved pulling out his gun within 8 seconds and shooting a child dead.

IMO he could and should have taken any number of non-lethal actions (First- WORDS, then, physically intervening, last, taser. Taking his gun out of the holster should not even have been on the table.

Stepping away because this whole situation really enrages me.
She was actively trying to stab another person with a large knife. You don’t negotiate with someone in the process of attempting to murder another human being, unless you are willing to let an innocent person be killed first.

I watched the presser vid, via WCPO 9 Facebook, which showed real time speed and slow motion. As the cop got out of the car and approached, MB, with knife in hand, chased a female, who fell to the sidewalk. Knife still in hand, MB then went after a female in pink, ending up by a parked car. As MB went to strike her, the cop shot MB multiple times before the knife made contact with the female in pink, who ran as shots were fired.

This is just what I observed while watching the vid a few times, not an opinion on whether the cop's reaction was reasonable or not.

Teen girl killed in police shooting in southeast Columbus, police release body-cam video

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther said it is a tragic day for the city. He said the officer took action to protect another young girl.

“It's a tragic day in the city of Columbus. A horrible, heartbreaking situation. I'm not just the mayor, I'm a father. The city of Columbus lost a 15-year-old girl today. We know based on this footage, the officer took action to protect another young girl in our community. But a family is grieving tonight and this young 15-year-old girl will never be coming home.”

I haven't watched so can't comment on right or wrong at the moment but I wonder what these young girls were in such a terrible fight over?

"Franklin County Children Services released a statement saying that Bryant, 16, was a foster child who was under the care of the Franklin County Children Services. “This was a tragic incident and FCCS is continuing its involvement with the family throughout this difficult time,” the release says, naming Bryant and saying she was fatally shot in Southeast Columbus.

"The girl’s aunt, Hazel Bryant, told The Dispatch that Bryant lived in a foster home and “got into an altercation with someone else at the home.” She said Ma’Khia had a knife but alleged she dropped it before being shot multiple times by a Columbus police officer."

I imagine life is hard in a foster home. Personalities can clash from children growing up with tough circumstances and without the love & nurturing they need.

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member