LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree. He also could have been on antidepressants/medication that made him worse. It is not very common but doctors do give that warning when describing anti-depressants. I personally have experienced this and it is terrible so I would completely understand him hurting/killing himself because of it.

Has anyone submitted Cousins?

Yes, Bayard Cousins was submitted. Quoting a post from pass-thru in 2017, page 14 of this thread:

I called this in almost 3 years ago, at the time I was local to VA Beach where Cousins was missing from and where the investigation file was located. The initial report was accepted with enthusiasm and optimism. I gave all the leads I had run down. 6 months later I sent a follow up and never got a response. I imagine interstate red tape between law enforcement agencies killed this investigation before it ever got legs. They don't even have a body in LA so what do they care?

For all we know, LE in Virginia Beach may still think it's a strong possibility but simply can't do anything about it because the body and records in Louisiana can't be located. This case is in limbo, and probably stuck in limbo permanently until either (a) the grave is found, or (b) somebody comes forward confirming that the suicide note sounds exactly like their missing family member.

Good luck!

In case it helps, there is more detail about the individual rolls in the Salt Lake City and St Tammany Library catalogues.
FamilySearch Catalog: Death records and obituaries, 1923-1991 — FamilySearch.org
St Tammany Parish Library System

Those two libraries have the Mothe Funeral Home records numbered in the same way, so IF New Orleans also uses the same reel numbers, then you're looking for (or asking a librarian to look for) these two rolls of film:

Reel# 1839032: Death records and obituaries no. 13054-13805 1973-1975
and
Reel# 1839033: Death records and obituaries no. 13806-14560 1975-1976

Thank you very much. The librarian says they cannot digitize large amounts so I'll ask for these. They say these can be viewed in person. In case Yeeter or someone feels like going. But I'll mail back now.

Completely agree. He also could have been on antidepressants/medication that made him worse. It is not very common but doctors do give that warning when describing anti-depressants. I personally have experienced this and it is terrible so I would completely understand him hurting/killing himself because of it.

There weren't a lot of treatments for depression in the seventies and the ones they had were pretty unpleasant. We had a friend who struggled with manic-depressive cycles; it was painful to watch and know there was nothing we or anybody could do.

A friend of mine sent me a list of inmate names. She read this thread and thought perhaps he had a record. It's about 12 pages. Besides Bayard Cousins are there any other names I should be looking for? I think to post it here will just distract from the post. But I can if you want.

A friend of mine sent me a list of inmate names. She read this thread and thought perhaps he had a record. It's about 12 pages. Besides Bayard Cousins are there any other names I should be looking for? I think to post it here will just distract from the post. But I can if you want.
I never thought of him as someone recently released from prison but I suppose it's possible. If there is anyone who fits the age range and had been released shortly before February 1975, it might be worth looking them up to see if they went missing.

I never thought of him as someone recently released from prison but I suppose it's possible. If there is anyone who fits the age range and had been released shortly before February 1975, it might be worth looking them up to see if they went missing.

I went through the list. It's of people who were held in detention centre's. No Cousins on list. And 12 pages only is an incomplete list. Somebody else mentioned getting staff names from the Reserve Base. This would have to be a FOIA request. Doubt the Rear Admiral of the Navy would be impressed with me emailing him but the miltary websites are protected, it's invitation only to get in so that you can mail for info.

The hospital remains an idea if the sheet comes from a hospital or even a motel. Somewhere there must be a tag. The thought that nags is how far does this young guy run/walk in his socks, and why?

I went through the list. It's of people who were held in detention centre's. No Cousins on list. And 12 pages only is an incomplete list. Somebody else mentioned getting staff names from the Reserve Base. This would have to be a FOIA request. Doubt the Rear Admiral of the Navy would be impressed with me emailing him but the miltary websites are protected, it's invitation only to get in so that you can mail for info.

The hospital remains an idea if the sheet comes from a hospital or even a motel. Somewhere there must be a tag. The thought that nags is how far does this young guy run/walk in his socks, and why?

I've speculated before that with the clothing he's wearing, he was likely wearing penny loafers, docksiders, or a similar loose-fitting shoe that could have been kicked some distance by his death throes.

Otherwise it seems like he can't have come very far.

Yes, Bayard Cousins was submitted. Quoting a post from pass-thru in 2017, page 14 of this thread:

For all we know, LE in Virginia Beach may still think it's a strong possibility but simply can't do anything about it because the body and records in Louisiana can't be located. This case is in limbo, and probably stuck in limbo permanently until either (a) the grave is found, or (b) somebody comes forward confirming that the suicide note sounds exactly like their missing family member.

I actually thought this John Doe had already been id'd as Bayard :(

I actually thought this John Doe had already been id'd as Bayard :(
I don't blame you. How frustrating. I’m pretty much convinced that this has to be Bayard Cousins, and whether it’s getting an organization such as @othram involved and/or crowd-funding (I’m not even sure if there is a need for either), there HAS to be a way to determine whether this is Bayard or at least if a sample of good enough quality can be prepared for comparison purposes or not.

I know someone who, due to his severe OCD, only wears maroon tops. He has been doing this for almost 25 years (started around age 20). While this may not mean anything, the shirt Bayard is wearing in his NamUs photo does appear very similar to the one our John Doe was found in.
134560FC-0A08-4D35-9545-DF1067BD8A09.jpeg
C551C7DA-960C-42D8-AE83-7901B2E5BF94.jpeg

I don't blame you. How frustrating. I’m pretty much convinced that this has to be Bayard Cousins, and whether it’s getting an organization such as @othram involved and/or crowd-funding (I’m not even sure if there is a need for either), there HAS to be a way to determine whether this is Bayard or at least if a sample of good enough quality can be prepared for comparison purposes or not.

I know someone who, due to his severe OCD, only wears maroon tops. He has been doing this for almost 25 years (started around age 20). While this may not mean anything, the shirt Bayard is wearing in his NamUs photo does appear very similar to the one our John Doe was found in.
View attachment 295025
View attachment 295026
The thing is, if it turns out to be Bayard Cousins, and the family does not wish to have the information made pubic, then that part of the story would be kept confidential. The announcement would only say that the Doe has been identified.

Last edited:
Our UID male seemed "symbolic" in some things such as....hanging himself on valentines day and choosing a Persimmon tree..which by the way is a Diospryros Virginiana...
Diospryros meaning "fruit or wheat of gods" and Virginiana meaning "from Virginia." If you suspect Bayard Cousin, he was from Virginia.
I do wonder, his attire and mismatched socks with no shoes...carrying a bedsheet and a glass jar..one would think he would stand out if walking or traveling by bus. I assume no cars found abandoned in the area with keys left in it....
This then leads you to think he was more local...
Baffling in so many different ways!

The thing is, if it turns out to be Bayard Cousins, and the family does not wish to have the information made pubic, then that part of the story would be kept confidential. The announcement would only say that the Doe has been identified.

Hopefully folks are ok with this kind of work with missing and Does. At the end of the day, it's not really anyone's business (with the exception of LE and loved ones) what the Doe's name is - finding their name doesn't always equate to knowing their name. Peace.

Isn't that apart of why we are all here?
As a long time member of Websleuths, it's about helping loved ones potentially having some closure...to not be sickened every day as to what happened to their sister, mother, brother, son or daughter, ect. To have opportunity to bring them home for a proper burial...
Sometimes having a name helps to connect the dots to a murderer and bring them to justice.
And a name gives character...rather than jane or john doe.
I respect a family who doesnt want to disclose a name.....but without knowing who someone is...well, it's one of the reasons for Websleuths!

My apologies if my post was offensive in some way, perhaps I wasn't clear in what I was trying to communicate. I 100% agree that the goal is to find the missing and help name the unidentified and I share that passion with everyone else. What I was trying to say is that mission can (and sometimes is) accomplished without the searcher(s) knowing all of the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaye 502