GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pool reporters said the jurors were stoic when they were polled. Expressionless.

I hope all the jurors stay silent and go on with their lives. Nothing they say will add anything more to this conversation. They said everything that needed saying with their verdict! That’s more than enough. IMO I generally think it’s a bad idea when jurors in high profile cases speak out! When they do it’s usually disappointing and takes away from the momentous decision. It’s like meeting your favorite author!

Hall is an opportunist! JMO

Now that we await sentencing, did anyone else find it a bit odd that the whole club situation, where GF and DC both allegedly worked at one point at the same time, was not discussed more in the media? It came up early on but also disappeared pretty quickly.

I am really curious to see if it is brought up by the State towards sentencing and the "issues" DC allegedly had with GF over a paycheck. Or if they'll try to admit the times the club manager said DC area as very aggressive with minorities who came to the club.

Chauvin did a Blakely waiver, and we have see (see post #5 in this thread and in media thread) as to what the State wants for aggravating factors. Club situation was not... will not MOO be brought up.

That discussion... for trial purposes in court.. is gone.

I’m proud of this jury for making what I feel was the right decision. There is much work to be done as a society. I certainly hope and pray this work can be done in a peaceful and law abiding way.

The pool reporters said the jurors were stoic when they were polled. Expressionless.

I hope all the jurors stay silent and go on with their lives. Nothing they say will add anything more to this conversation. They said everything that needed saying with their verdict! That’s more than enough. IMO I generally think it’s a bad idea when jurors in high profile cases speak out! When they do it’s usually disappointing and takes away from the momentous decision. It’s like meeting your favorite author!

Hall is an opportunist! JMO

I agree with that at this time, and for looooooooooooooong from now, the jury should stay silent. As to Hall, I've read here on threads that he has spoken out, but as I said upstream.. not watching "talking heads" etc shows at this time. I haven't seen.

ETA: Oops, the Blakely waiver information was in the last thread and not brought over.

Last edited:

Here's how Derek Chauvin could try to get verdict overturned on appeal

An appeal in the case is a virtual certainty. But what issues Chauvin's lawyers raise to the appellate court are an open question, according to criminal defense experts.

The appeal possibilities could include:

1.) The possible bias of jurors - bias created from the massive publicity given to the case.

2.) The refusal by Judge Peter Cahill to move the trial.

3.) The refusal by Judge Peter Cahill to sequester the jury at beginning of trial.

4.) The refusal by Judge Peter Cahill to sequester, or isolate, the jury at the close of the trial after news that Democratic U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters of California demanded a guilty verdict and urged protests.

Waters' actions upset Cahill who has on numerous occasions chastised public officials, for commenting on the trial or creating news off the case, including the settlement during jury selection.

5.) Questionable jury instructions on some of the charges Chauvin faced.

6.) Ineffective assistance of counsel, a last option in experts' opinions, because lead defense attorney Eric Nelson did not often object to emotional witness testimony.

7.) The jury was prejudiced by intense media coverage of the $27 million settlement. That settlement was reached during jury selection.

8.) Another strategy in the appeal could be pointing out the uproar over the fatal police shooting of Daunte Wright on April 11 in the Minneapolis suburb, which reignited protests in the state.

Last edited:
Chauvin did a Blakely waiver, and we have see (see post #5 in this thread and in media thread) as to what the State wants for aggravating factors. Club situation was not... will not MOO be brought up.

That discussion... for trial purposes in court.. is gone.

Sorry, from what I read I thought that situation, the multiple experiences and accounts of him being aggressive towards minorities, could be brought up by the State as aggregating factors. He waived having the jury decide that, now the Judge will weigh the factors presented by both sides; I didn't take that to mean that the club situation would not be brought up at all, it may not be, but that's what I thought of it all.

I thought it might be brought up, especially so since it was not brought up during the trial, much like in some other cases where prosecution tries to bring up past violent crimes by the defendant that the jury didn't know about before rescuing a verdict. I may be wrong, I was just curious what others thought of the situation anyway, because there's good conversation fostered here. At first the club stuff sounded almost like fringe conspiracy stuff to me but after seeing that shortly after this terrible event, former employees and the club manager came forward with very similiar accounts, and it really got me thinking about if DC knew who GF was after he arrived on scene. We may never know for sure but I was just curious what others thought

Chauvin verdict reenergizes debate over Supreme Court's legal deference for police

An appeal in the case is a virtual certainty. But what issues Chauvin's lawyers raise to the appellate court are an open question, according to criminal defense experts.

1.) The possible bias of jurors - bias created from the massive publicity given to the case.

3.) The refusal by Judge Peter Cahill to sequester the jury at beginning of trial.

4.) The refusal by Judge Peter Cahill to sequester, or isolate, the jury at the close of the trial after news that Democratic U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters of California demanded a guilty verdict and urged protests.

Waters' actions upset Cahill who has on numerous occasions chastised public officials, for commenting on the trial or creating news off the case, including the settlement during jury selection.

6.) Ineffective assistance of counsel, a last option in experts' opinions, because lead defense attorney Eric Nelson did not often object to emotional witness testimony.

Moo... all are standard stuff. I discount the, and the only one that concerned me that isn't even listed was the nurse in deliberations of being an expert in deliberations. We shall see... appeals are standard. MOO. And all listed are standard. MOO

I agree with that at this time, and for looooooooooooooong from now, the jury should stay silent. As to Hall, I've read here on threads that he has spoken out, but as I said upstream.. not watching "talking heads" etc shows at this time. I haven't seen.

ETA: Oops, the Blakely waiver information was in the last thread and not brought over.
Law and Crime Network was BEYOND excited that their field reporter got him to talk (and the reporter seemed to admit she asked him multiple times previously and his attorney with him said no but she kept pushing), then he kept talking on live TV, said something about possible immunity in upcoming trial, reporter tried pressing and attorney tried to shush him up. He did say he was happy about the verdict but was not saying much of anything else despite her trying. It was a hit bizzare the entire thing.

Sorry, from what I read I thought that situation, the multiple experiences and accounts of him being aggressive towards minorities, could be brought up by the State as aggregating factors. He waived having the jury decide that, now the Judge will weigh the factors presented by both sides; I didn't take that to mean that the club situation would not be brought up at all, it may not be, but that's what I thought of it all.

I thought it might be brought up, especially so since it was not brought up during the trial, much like in some other cases where prosecution tries to bring up past violent crimes by the defendant that the jury didn't know about before rescuing a verdict. I may be wrong, I was just curious what others thought of the situation anyway, because there's good conversation fostered here. At first the club stuff sounded almost like fringe conspiracy stuff to me but after seeing that shortly after this terrible event, former employees and the club manager came forward with very similiar accounts, and it really got me thinking about if DC knew who GF was after he arrived on scene. We may never know for sure but I was just curious what others thought

Can the judge bring into what was not in evidence through the post trial investigation to make even worse for him? hmmm, interesting! You may be on target for such!
----

It wasn't brought up by the state that I see. Can you link to such that I've highlighted vs. the State not including? Thanks! As the judge may bring in even more... Could it be that the post trial investigation brings in such that was not in evidence??? VERY interesting...... indeed! Thanks!

BRB to do an ETA what State submitted... but if you can do a link for what you are thinking... great addition to threads (the state perhaps did not do as he wasn't called on for it per statutes?)

Lemme BRB to add....

Found it ETA:

This was the state's original submission for upward sentencing - filed August 28, 2020, for FIVE aggravating factors... https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...s/27-CR-20-12646/NoticebyAttorney08282020.pdf

State's proposed jury interrogatories - filed October 12, 2020, for aggravating factors (Moot now due to Blakely waiver, but of interest as the judge perhaps will have this train of thought when he decides vs the jury) https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...-CR-20-12646/ProposedInstructions10122020.pdf

State Response to judge's request to expound on 2 of the aggravating factors - filed October 12, https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/media/High-Profile-Cases/27-CR-20-12646/Briefs10122020.pdf ("At the September 11 hearing, the Court asked the State for additional briefing addressing the following questions: (i) Whether the particular vulnerability of the victim justifies an upward sentencing departure when the defendants are responsible for creating the victim’s vulnerability; and (ii) Whether a defendant’s abuse of a 2 position of authority supports an upward sentencing departure even if there is not a pre-existing relationship of trust between the defendant and the victim. ......")

COURT ORDER stating probable cause exists to submit all the interrogatories proposed by the State and that State can argue all 5 aggravating factors at sentencing . https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...Cases/27-CR-20-12646/BlakelyOrder01262021.pdf

ETA List of mitigating factors listed by State to the court above:

1. George Floyd, the victim, was particularly vulnerable because officers had already handcuffed him behind his back and then placed him chest down on the pavement, and Mr. Floyd clearly and repeatedly told the officers he could not breathe. Minn. Sent. Guidelines 2.D.3.b(1); State v. Givens, 544 N.W.2d 774, 776 (Minn. 1996).

2. Mr. Floyd was treated with particular cruelty. Despite Mr. Floyd’s pleas that he could not breathe and was going to die, as well as the pleas of eyewitnesses for Defendant to get off Mr. Floyd and help him, Defendant and his codefendants continued to restrain Mr. Floyd. Defendant kept his knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck to hold him prone on the ground for approximately nine minutes, during at least four minutes of which Mr. Floyd was motionless. This maneuver inflicted gratuitous pain on Mr. Floyd. Those eyewitnesses, of whose presence Defendant was aware, had to watch Mr. Floyd die. Defendant also did not provide Mr. Floyd with any medical assistance and discouraged the efforts of others to provide such assistance. Minn. Sent. Guidelines 2.D.3.b(2); State v. Hicks, 864 N.W.2d 153, 159-60 (Minn. 2015); Tucker v. State, 799 N.W.2d 583, 587-99 (Minn. 2011); State v. Smith, 541 N.W.2d 584, 590 (Minn. 1996); State v. Harwell, 515 N.W.2d 105, 109 (Minn. Ct. App. 1994).

3. Defendant abused a position of authority, as he was a licensed police officer in full uniform who, in conjunction with other officers, took full custody of Mr. Floyd. State v. Lee, 494 N.W.2d 475, 482 (Minn. 1992).

4. Defendant committed the crime as part of a group of three or more offenders who all actively participated in the crime. Minn. Sent. Guidelines 2.D.3.b.(10).

5. Defendant committed the crime in the presence of multiple children, and Defendant’s criminal conduct was witnessed by children. Minn. Sent. Guidelines 2.D.3.b(13); State v. Profit, 323 N.W.2d 34, 36 (Minn. 1982).

Law and Crime Network was BEYOND excited that their field reporter got him to talk (and the reporter seemed to admit she asked him multiple times previously and his attorney with him said no but she kept pushing), then he kept talking on live TV, said something about possible immunity in upcoming trial, reporter tried pressing and attorney tried to shush him up. He did say he was happy about the verdict but was not saying much of anything else despite her trying. It was a hit bizzare the entire thing.

BBM... that is troublesome IMO and does sound a bit bizzare.

Here's how Derek Chauvin could try to get verdict overturned on appeal

7.) The jury was prejudiced by intense media coverage of the $27 million settlement. That settlement was reached during jury selection.

8.) Another strategy in the appeal could be pointing out the uproar over the fatal police shooting of Daunte Wright on April 11 in the Minneapolis suburb, which reignited protests in the state.

To what end? If the verdict is overturned there would be another trial. Another trial means ramped up security again, businesses boarding up, tensions rising, and for what? He'll just be found guilty again.

With the video evidence they have, there's no way any 12 random people from anywhere would find him not guilty. They may find 1 or 2 if they're lucky, but they'll never find 12. Never.

The Chauvin verdict felt like a pivotal moment.
Will it turn out that way?

POLITICO Magazine asked a select group of experts on race, policing and the law to comment on the verdict, including whether it suggests the system can work and where society needs to go from here.

Several said the verdict offers justice for Floyd but frustratingly little reason to think it signaled broader progress. “Year after year, police officers have killed Black and Brown people in this country with impunity. Many of those cases were also caught on video,” wrote historian Keisha N. Blain. Others noted, hopefully, that Chauvin’s conduct was condemned by some former colleagues. “The fact that several police officials — including Minneapolis’ chief of police — testified that Chauvin’s actions were unethical and criminal signals an important change,” said Chuck Wexler, executive director of Police Executive Research Forum.

The overwhelming sentiment echoed that of Yale’s Monica C. Bell, that the outcome is important but only one step forward: “As we exhale along with the Floyd family in the wake of this outcome, we must redouble our efforts to confront and root out racial injustice throughout our society.”

Full responses at link:
21 Experts on What the Verdict Means — and Where to Go From Here

@RihamFeshir (MPRNEWS)
Riham Feshir (@RihamFeshir) / Twitter

Reporters have been trying to reach Derek Chauvin’s lawyer Eric Nelson.
He sent this through his firm: "Mr. Chauvin’s case, including sentencing in approximately eight weeks, is still ongoing. As such, I will not be making a statement at this time.

IIRC, he is a paid for atty.. by the Police Union members who also put up the 1 or 1.25 million dollar bond right? So no public defenders at all on this case until sentenced and goes to appeals? I wonder if the police union dues cover appeals also. I would guess the police union is in for an ounce, in for a pound?

Is that correct?

As I’ve commented previously, I think Cahill is sympathetic to Chauvin. Just my impression. That’s why Chauvin/Nelson elected to have him decide on the aggravating factors instead of the jury. I just don’t see him giving him the max or ruling in favor of the state re the aggravating factors.

As I’ve commented previously, I think Cahill is sympathetic to Chauvin. Just my impression. That’s why Chauvin/Nelson elected to have him decide on the aggravating factors instead of the jury. I just don’t see him giving him the max or ruling in favor of the state re the aggravating factors.
If what you say is true it sure didn't have an effect on the trial's outcome. JMO

Judeah told "Good Morning America" co-anchor Robin Roberts in an interview Wednesday that she watched the guilty verdict being read on TV alongside her parents.

"My mom said that we brought change. My dad said, 'We won,'" said Judeah, adding that she herself felt "kind of proud."
10-year-old girl who testified in Chauvin trial reacts to guilty verdict

Just when you think you have it together, one views this video and makes you bawl. No one should have to witness such, especially such a young child. Believe me, this will be in her dreams for the rest of her life. MOO I hate witnesses others such as her having to witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!