GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he doesn't want to say anything until after sentencing. Wouldn't want to influence the judge in harm to his client.

Not sure I care what he has to say, although I'm sure it will make all the headlines. In fact, I know exactly what he'll say. He'll talk about how this was a miscarriage of justice, and that the prosecution got away with this and that, and was able to introduce this and that evidence, which should have been disallowed. He'll start throwing stuff at the wall, to see what is sticking in terms of the appeal that's a 200% certainty.

What he won't do is attack the jury, or demean their verdicts in any way. He'll simply say they were misinformed, and led down the wrong path, by the evil prosecutors who had it out for his client, for no valid reason.
Boy I don't see Nelson doing that at all. I don't think he will say much at all...he may speak of the of the factors that he feels led to an unfair trial for his client but he seems too smart to go far. He knew this would happen.

Is that allowed? For Chauvin to have anyone speak on his behalf about the impact on them wrt mitigation and aggravation factors.

It seems that could be seen as a 'defense' of Chauvin's actions, if they are trying to combat mitigation and aggravation factors. And the trial is over.

ETA: I just saw Weki's post #130 ... I guess it does happen.

In the Jason van Dyke (cop case in Chicago) his wife spoke about how their family has suffered: how the kids were being harassed at school and the family was receiving death threats. How expensive it was to call to the jail and how she couldn’t afford it. It was tone deaf frankly. Her husband had emptied 16 bullets into a young man so....

ETA/ I may be mixing up her statements to the media with her impact statements but she was very vocal during the trial and gave a statement in court.

In Columbus, Bryant had been swinging a knife wildly at another girl or woman pinned against a car when the officer fired after shouting at the girl to get down, according to police and body camera video released within hours of the shooting. The mayor mourned the 16-year-old's death but said the officer had acted to protect someone else.

On Wednesday morning, an officer killed a man while executing a search warrant in eastern North Carolina. And in the San Diego suburb of Escondido, police said an officer fatally shot a man who was apparently striking cars with a metal pole.

On Thursday, a funeral will be held for Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black motorist who was shot during a traffic stop earlier this month in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, just a few miles from the courthouse as the Chauvin trial unfolded.

Police officer Kim Potter, who is white, has been charged with second-degree murder in Wright’s shooting on April 10. The former police chief said Potter mistakenly fired her handgun when she meant to use her Taser. She resigned from the police force afterward and was charged with second-degree manslaughter.

In Chicago last month, 13-year-old Adam Toledo was fatally shot less than a second after he tossed a gun and began raising his hands as an officer had commanded.

The Cook County district attorney’s office is weighing whether to bring charges against Eric Stillman, the white police officer who shot Adam in a Chicago alley on March 29 in Little Village, a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood of the city’s southwest side.

The boy, who was Latino, appeared to drop a handgun moments before the officer shot him. The graphic video of the boy’s death sparked outrage across the U.S., but some legal experts have said they don’t believe Stillman could or should be charged under criteria established by a landmark 1989 Supreme Court ruling on the use of force by police.
Grim list of deaths at police hands grows even after verdict

Is that allowed? For Chauvin to have anyone speak on his behalf about the impact on them wrt mitigation and aggravation factors.

It seems that could be seen as a 'defense' of Chauvin's actions, if they are trying to combat mitigation and aggravation factors. And the trial is over.

ETA: I just saw Weki's post #130 ... I guess it does happen.

I think his 5th Grade teacher or football coach etc. could get up and what what a wonderful child he was....but in this case I doubt anyone will step forward ...which is very sad.

In the Jason van Dyke (cop case in Chicago) his wife spoke about how their family has suffered: how the kids were being harassed at school and the family was receiving death threats. How expensive it was to call to the jail and how she couldn’t afford it. It was tone deaf frankly. Her husband had emptied 16 bullets into a young man so....

ETA/ I may be mixing up her statements to the media with her impact statements but she was very vocal during the trial and gave a statement in court.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see who they will come up with for Chauvin. Divorced, no children, works all the time ......

Education Week’s reporting since the murder of George Floyd has illuminated four areas in which the discourse about race in schools is changing. Here are brief introductions—and plenty of links for you to explore in depth.

1. School policing is under fire.
2. Language is powerful. Now, some of it is shifting.
3. Debates about curriculum and race are red-hot
4. The lack of diversity of the educator workforce is again under scrutiny.

4 Ways George Floyd's Murder Has Changed How We Talk About Race and Education

He has

He has some serious supporters...I was looking at another chat during the trial and it was so offensive...almost 100% for him and very racist. I had to leave quickly. It was supposed to be a legal chat and a number of years ago on some other trials was good but not for this trial.

Unfortunate. I’ve also been involved in another chat but sans the racism. It’s a right leaning board but even there +50% thought him guilty with zero racist nonsense. If that type of discussion was posted they would have been banned. Plenty had minimal knowledge and blindly support police but those with even some knowledge knew Chauvin was guilty. Most sided on manslaughter but even the ones who thought him not guilty ( hung jury, extenuating ircumstances) had a poor view of Chauvin and police in general.

Chauvin grew up in the Minneapolis suburb of West St Paul. His parents divorced when he was seven and his father asked for a paternity test on his sister: it turned out he was not the father.

He earned two medals of valour, but other officers said just being around him made them feel uncomfortable.

Chauvin was formally disciplined for pulling a young mother out of her car and ridiculing her when he saw wet patches on her chest from breastfeeding.
According to Melissa Borton, Chauvin, or his colleague, told her: 'You probably have postpartum depression, and you need help.'

Derek Chauvin: A bullying loner and police veteran of 19 years | Daily Mail Online

After Chauvin, Minnesota set to prosecute three other officers in Floyd murder | Reuters

Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane, all of whom were fired and arrested days after Floyd died last May, face charges at a trial on Aug. 23 that they aided and abetted second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter of Floyd.

Aiding and abetting murder is punishable by up to 40 years in prison, although sentencing guidelines can reduce the maximum to 15 years.

The following is a summary of Minnesota prosecutors' allegations against each of the men, all of whom are free on $750,000 bail:

ALEXANDER KUENG, 27

Kueng and Lane were the first officers to arrive outside the food store where Floyd was accused of passing a counterfeit $20 bill to buy cigarettes. Kueng had graduated from the police academy in 2019 and started as an officer in December.

During the fatal encounter, prosecutors said Kueng was between Chauvin and Lane, kneeling on Floyd’s back, with his hand on Floyd’s handcuffed left wrist.

After Floyd became unresponsive, it was Kueng who checked the right wrist for a pulse and said, "I couldn't find one," prosecutors said in their complaint. None of the officers moved from their positions, the complaint said.

THOMAS LANE, 38

Having arrived at the scene with Kueng, it was Lane who ordered Floyd out of his car and handcuffed him, prosecutors said. He had been on the police force for only a matter of days.

Chauvin, Kueng and Lane each used their weight to restrain Floyd on the ground after he balked at getting into the back of a squad car. Lane was positioned on his legs, "kneeling on them and pressing them down with his hands," according to the complaint.

At one point, Lane asked, "Should we roll him on his side?" Chauvin responded: "No, staying put where we got him." Lane then said, "I am worried about excited delirium or whatever," to which Chauvin said, "That's why we have him on his stomach."

TOU THAO, 35

Thao, who had rejoined the force in 2012 after losing his job to layoffs as a rookie in 2009, arrived on the scene with Chauvin after Floyd had already been handcuffed.

Although Thao was the only one of the four officers who was not in physical contact with Floyd, prosecutors said he had a direct look at how Chauvin and the others were restraining him.

Thao stood watch over the onlookers who were gathering at the scene, keeping himself positioned between them and the three other officers who were on Floyd's prone body.

When a bystander stepped off the curb, “imploring Chauvin to get off of Mr. Floyd, (Thao) put his hands on the citizen to keep him back,” the complaint said.

So now Chauvin will be hanging out with all the lowest life individuals. The pedos, child killers, and such.
https://mn.gov/doc/facilities/oak-park-heights/administrative-control-unit/

They do not interact with each other. Note there is a Special Unit that has 2 doors per cell. Added protection if needed.

An example of added protection in the Segregation "Seg" Control (Housing) Unit:

"Officer John" goes through the first door to the cell door and unlocks and slides the food tray in the slot. Officer John calls out "chow time!"
To give the inmate the heads up his meal is here.

The inmate is on the ready and starts cussing and throwing water or other ... 'eh humm' ... substances out of the slot etc...

So the next time dinner is served officer John goes through the first door, leaves the tray in the area between the 2 doors, goes back out and locks the first door then remotely unlocks the cell door so the inmate can retrieve his tray without any contact with the officer.

These cells have a sink, toilet and shower so the officers do not even have to take the inmate to the showers. Officer John controls the water for the shower on designated days and times so that the inmate can't flood his cell.

Doors%20for%20ACU%20cell%20showing%20both%20doors_tcm1089-434523.JPG

First Door then Cell Door.

upload_2021-4-21_10-55-38-png.293604

Control Center Remotely Locks and Unlocks Doors

Last edited:
Yes that’s a good point. In the end it didn’t matter but he made a wrong decision ( many judges have) about the charges but at this point it’s moot.

I hope Chauvin has a good chance at both murder convictions being overturned. The ‘intentional assault’ element is lacking for me even though I have a poor opinion of Chauvin and power tripping cops in general. Without the murder being overturned it opens the floodgates for any restrained subjects to claim assault which in most cases is untrue. If additional police restraints continue to be tightened it’s my view they will just stand back and watch and I can’t blame them.

I felt (and still feel) that the state made their case on all three counts. I don't want it overturned as I think in this day and age there are those pressures in high profile cases and the jurors said they could be fair and impartial. I thought the defense was a train wreck but, then again, they had to over come that video--- and that would have been Herculean for even the best lawyer.

What Derek Chauvin Verdict Means for Other Former Officers Charged in George Floyd Killing

Minnesota prosecutors pushed back against multiple trials, in part because of the expense and what they described as community trauma but also because of the inextricable nature of their alleged actions. The four officers “worked together to commit the crime,” the prosecutors wrote in court filings, and the evidence against them would be the same.

For prosecutors to secure a conviction of the three officers on the count of aiding or abetting second-degree murder, “all they have to prove is that they knew his actions were an assault—that they knew his actions were causing a bodily harm that was unlawful,” said Mr. Lee.

To convict them on manslaughter charges, Mr. Lee said, the prosecutors have to show that “they knew Chauvin’s actions were unlawful and presented a risk of bodily harm, and that their actions intentionally aided his commission” of the actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member