Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder about the drone that the police have. They said the drone was "handed in". Handed in by who, and where exactly was it found?

The drone was handed in at East Gippsland police station several days after police renewed an appeal for information about the missing pair.
“Missing persons squad detectives have determined that a drone handed into an East Gippsland police station is not the DJI Mavic drone belonging to Russell Hill,” a spokeswoman said.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...issing-camper-police-say-20210309-p5791p.html
March 9, 2021
Funny isn't it. You go up the bush seeking solace away from crowds and technology & yet there's drones flying around..

I wonder about the drone that the police have. They said the drone was "handed in". Handed in by who, and where exactly was it found?

The drone was handed in at East Gippsland police station several days after police renewed an appeal for information about the missing pair.
“Missing persons squad detectives have determined that a drone handed into an East Gippsland police station is not the DJI Mavic drone belonging to Russell Hill,” a spokeswoman said.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...issing-camper-police-say-20210309-p5791p.html
March 9, 2021
Funny isn't it. You go up the bush seeking solace away from crowds and technology & yet there's drones flying around..

Wow! Just noticed the thread title says deceased not found. I have been away from this thread a bit. Can someone link me up to read when and why these two were determined to be deceased? TIA!

I obviously have some catching up to do.

Wow! Just noticed the thread title says deceased not found. I have been away from this thread a bit. Can someone link me up to read when and why these two were determined to be deceased? TIA!

I obviously have some catching up to do.

I don't think any of us know why the title was changed to include deceased. I guess someone must have requested the move to the deceased/not found forum. I have not yet seen that Russell and Carol have been declared deceased, just that police think that is most likely the case ... and that foul play is involved.

I have to hope the "button man" knows nothing, as if RH and CC were killed and it gets out that "Button Man" was interviewed and provided information or could provide more information, his life could be at risk. The killers might decide they need to get rid of any potential witness. He may think he is good at not being seen/found, but that depends on how desperate and determined the others may be. MOO. PS: added: I wonder when "Button man" was last seen?

I think it is interesting that the Police say they have "persons of interest" rather than saying they have "suspects". I wonder if this may be to protect the familys of C and R from speculation and rumors.

I don't think they would be referring to people that were merely in the area around the same time as "persons of interest". Of course some people may have interesting info to tell the Police but would this make such people, "persons of interest"?

.... maybe I have the wrong perspective on this...

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia "Persons of Interest" is a term used in the US and Canada.

Person of interest - Wikipedia

"Person of interest" is a term used by U.S. and Canadian law enforcement when identifying someone possibly involved in a criminal investigation who has not been arrested or formally accused of a crime. It has no legal meaning, but refers to someone in whom the police are "interested", either because the person is cooperating with the investigation, may have information that would assist the investigation, or possesses certain characteristics that merit further attention.[citation needed]

While terms such as suspect, target, and material witness have clear and sometimes formal definitions, person of interest remains undefined by the U.S. Department of Justice.[1] Unsub is a similar term which is short for "unknown subject" (used in the TV show Criminal Minds). Person of interest is sometimes used as a euphemism for suspect, and its careless use may encourage trials by media.

According to Wikipedia "Persons of Interest" is a term used in the US and Canada.

Person of interest - Wikipedia

"Person of interest" is a term used by U.S. and Canadian law enforcement when identifying someone possibly involved in a criminal investigation who has not been arrested or formally accused of a crime. It has no legal meaning, but refers to someone in whom the police are "interested", either because the person is cooperating with the investigation, may have information that would assist the investigation, or possesses certain characteristics that merit further attention.[citation needed]

While terms such as suspect, target, and material witness have clear and sometimes formal definitions, person of interest remains undefined by the U.S. Department of Justice.[1] Unsub is a similar term which is short for "unknown subject" (used in the TV show Criminal Minds). Person of interest is sometimes used as a euphemism for suspect, and its careless use may encourage trials by media.

Thanks Tootsie! That's interesting. I expect the term would be used in Aus in a similar way too...

Thanks Tootsie! That's interesting. I expect the term would be used in Aus in a similar way too...
Here in Canada, my impression is it means 'someone particular we want to find/interview/get more information from or about'. They use it to mean that, if the person comes forward they could clear themselves, but have not yet done so.

I think it is also a way for police to avoid tunnel vision by creating 'suspects' from a lack of information. Only hard evidence should lead to identifying a possible suspect.

Today's speculation: Some altercation/argument happened between RH and person X (the suspect, maybe plural, with a white ute). Person X hears RH radio call at 6.30pm on March 20 - RH mentions something that incriminates/threatens person X (e.g. drone footage). Person X locates RH and CC at their campsite and murders them. Person X burns campsite to remove evidence. (If only abducting RH and CC, would be unlikely to also burn campsite as this would speed up the time to get police involved). Person X drives through Wonangatta area - toward Buckland river area - hides bodies in old mine shafts (many in that area). Person X still wants to avoid main roads but needs to get out of Wonangatta. Heads for Great Alpine Rd via Gunns Track. Gunns Track joins the road the Great Alpine Rd and this intersection is possibly a location pictured in the latest police search. Person X then heads north to Harrietville, disposing of items along the way (e.g. Olive Branch chain bay, also a location pictured in latest search). Map attached with idea of route. Totally speculation only.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.35.18 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.35.18 am.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Sounds like you managed to get out of a dangerous situation there. The skier is a regular high country cross country skier/trekker. They didn't come across the criminal I mentioned in the link , but I was thinking that we would not know if a dangerous person was on the run and unfortunately they often run to quieter places to hide. If I find the link to the forum I will post it again here. The weirdest thing I have experienced myself with "campers" - I live just out of a small Vic town in a bushy area and one night my dog started going off, I opened the door and let him out (as it usually means his mate from next door is outside for a visit), that night he ran to the bushes nearby and I realised that he was barking at a guy who was in the process of taking a pack off and who was planning on settling down out the front of my house! He got really angry and started swearing and kicking at my dog, took his pack and started to walk away, I called my dog back and made sure all the doors were locked. Pretty strange stuff. I now have trail cams around, but a dog is the best intruder alarm for me! RH and CC must have been the victims of some dangerous people, who could still be a real risk to other remote campers until they are caught.

BBM above
Dogs are great alarms.
Years ago, living in a quiet court, 5 neighbours were robbed at night.
I was the only home, not robbed.
When the police came to interview me, I asked why not my place.
They pointed at my little Jack Russell, alongside me. I was the only home with a dog.
Police stated, they case the area beforehand.

I remember a police officer friend of the family telling us not to try and train our pup out of barking like mad and throwing himself at the door whenever he heard people outside. Said it would be the best security and intruder deterrent we could ask for.

Just sleuthing here...

I think its interesting that there doesn't seem to be any reports of suspicious noises here...it seems like C and R weren't the only ones in the area at the time. Even if the nearest camping group were a few hundred meters away suspicious noises like crys for help, screams or gunshots would probably have been heard and reported, IMO.

Sorry to be morbid....Could there be a possibility they were accidentally (or not) run over whilst they were sleeping? This may mean any suspicious sounds like screaming, crys for help or gunshots would not happen...and that would also mean they are already in their sleeping bags...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10