Edwin, circa 1967

• Missing Since 05/10/1967
  • Missing From Hannibal, Missouri
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Age 14 years old
  • Height and Weight Unknown
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Edwin, goes by his middle name, Craig, and most accounts refer to him by that name.
Details of Disappearance
Craig disappeared with two other boys, the Hoag brothers Joel and William. The boys were last seen on the south side of Hannibal, Missouri between 4:20 and 5:00 p.m. They were carrying shovels and a flashlight, and said they were going to explore Murphy's Cave, near the Highway 79 construction project.

Joel and William had been punished the night before for going to the cave without permission, and they weren't supposed to leave their yard. They left anyway while their parents were out. The three boys have never been heard from again.

That day, the construction work resulted in a cave-in at Murphy’s Cave. Because of the circumstances, authorities theorized the three boys were trapped inside the cave when it collapsed and weren't able to get out. Extensive search-and-rescue efforts turned up no sign of any of them, however.

In 2006, construction workers building a new elementary school on Highway 79 found a small cave about 50 feet long. Authorities checked it to see if the Hoag brothers or Craig were there, but they didn't find anything.

Because nothing was ever found, there's speculation that the children weren't lost in the cave and something else caused their disappearances. There's no evidence to support any other theories, however. A memorial marker for the boys has been placed in the vicinity of the cave.

Craig lived on Union Street in 1967. He behind left three brothers. He and Joel were both eighth-graders at Hannibal Junior High at the time of their disappearances. The three boys' cases remain unsolved. In 2010, author Charles Stewart published a book about them, titled A Sorrow of the Heart.

LINK:
Edwin Craig Dowell – The Charley Project

What a tragedy. There aren't words for such a tragedy. (What a Truth about this website.)

I may be wrong but am not sure NamUs has cases back to the '60's? Maybe it's just too long ago?

NamUs has a missing man from the early 1900s from Oklahoma so, no, this case is not too early.

Thank you for the information. There have been times I couldn't find older cases there, but seems it must not be due to NamUs' side of things.

from the new article

"“They got forensic and all that stuff, they could probably get it solved. Will they ever? You think they’re going to close down that highway to build on a speculation? No. You’re going to have to have proof, beyond a shadow of a doubt,” Henderson said. “It would be quite interesting if you could go down and dig in that hole. My own opinion is you’re going to find Billy and Joey. Where you’re going to find Craig, I don’t know. I think something bad happened to him.”

I don't know why, but this paragraph, the last in the article bugs me. MOO and all, and maybe it is just me, but, to me, something bad happened to all the boys.

Maybe they think Billy and Joey died accidentally in a cave collapse, but Craig was abducted and taken elsewhere? Why else would Henderson imply that Craig's location might be different from that of Billy and Joey?:waitasec:

That was a very strange statement Henderson made, and it makes me feel there might be more to this story than has been told.

Agreed that the quote from Greg Henderson- who was going to explore the caves with the missing boys that day- is odd. He was quoted as saying this as an adult too, so you'd think he could have been questioned further regarding this opinion. There has been some developments in recent years that a serial killer could have been involved but unfortunately I can't access those sources due to where I live. Anyone know if anything came of that?

Craig was allegedly more of an acquaintance than a friend with the Hoag brothers but tagged along that day anyway. Strange that Henderson would think he wouldn't be found with them.

Last edited:
“All of these cavers came in from Washington, D.C., from California, Virginia, Mississippi. People came pouring in to look for them. (removed content). They found out the south side is nothing but a maze of caves clear to Park Avenue, Valley Street; the caves all connect one way or another.” -DeDe Hoag (sister)

Via same article: One of the popular south side caves at the time, Murphy’s Cave, was one of the first places rescuers tried to look. The opening was between the ending southbound lanes off the nearby viaduct (the start of Birch Street) and Walnut Street.

Another poster says he belonged to a team of "cavers" who had originally searched for the boys. His team had been in the caves a few weeks prior and now saw new collapses. They came to believe the boys had gone deep into the caves and a their exit route had collapsed behind them.
All commenters are by FB login and seem believable (I mean, nothing crazy).

It's surprising that nothing ever turned up despite extensive searches by experts all over the nation. Many of these sources do state there was a recent cave in at the time of the disappearances but is there more information about their findings and reports of this? Just asking because it seems the speculation that the boys were buried in the cave in doesn't bring closure to the case. This is still being discussed as a mystery disappearance over 50 years later, as if there are other possibilities.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...olved_disappearance_a_portion_of_route_79_in/

Last edited:
I just read 'The Lost Boys of Hannibal' by John Wingate. It is well worth a read.

I think the boys got caught behind or in a rock fall in Murphy's Cave. The cave system was completely unstable with all the construction work that was going on. It is also very possible they entered the cave system via an opening in the road bed. This opening may have subsequently been filled in later that day by a construction crew.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back