GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several key witnesses were particularly powerful, said Mary Moriarty, the former chief public defender for Hennepin County: bystanders like Darnella Frazier, who recorded the viral video; Dr. Martin Tobin, a medical expert; and Minneapolis police Chief Medaria Arradondo, who told jurors Chauvin violated the department’s policies and his actions did not reflect “our ethics or our values.”

Moriarty said Tobin, a pulmonologist who cares for critical care patients, "was one of the best expert witnesses I have ever seen." He "gave all of us a clinic in plain English" on the pulmonary system, counted Floyd's breaths on a video, had jurors feeling their own necks as he described the human airway, and showed viewers the moment in the video when Floyd went unconscious and suffered an anoxic seizure.

"He had a bedside manner in court," said Joe Daly, an emeritus professor at Mitchell Hamline School of Law. "He could explain everything, and he had this very pleasing Irish lilt. He had a very pleasing personality and the way he testified, you trusted him. About halfway through his testimony I thought, I'd love this guy to be my doctor."

Moriarty said she didn't think Nelson had enough of a grasp of the medical knowledge to cross-examine the state's experts. Tobin would have been hard for most attorneys to cross-examine, she said.
Chauvin conviction is progress but 'will do nothing to change' policing

I agree with Moriarty - the conviction does nothing to change policing across the country. As the trial is going on, we have all these seemingly unjustified police killings.

Also if an appellate court overturns this conviction, it would be devastating to public perception & trust in the justice system. Most ppl don’t watch trials and don’t understand the legal concepts that lead to a reversal. It would be a political nightmare for the judicial system. I think the appellate courts have to leave this one alone unless there was something flagrant, which I don’t know what that could be!

I agree with Moriarty - the conviction does nothing to change policing across the country. As the trial is going on, we have all these seemingly unjustified police killings.

Also if an appellate court overturns this conviction, it would be devastating to public perception & trust in the justice system. Most ppl don’t watch trials and don’t understand the legal concepts that lead to a reversal. It would be a political nightmare for the judicial system. I think the appellate courts have to leave this one alone unless there was something flagrant, which I don’t know what that could be!
Mary Moriarty does not believe an appeal has a chance of success.
I don't either.

Lane should have his charges dropped. If a jury finds him guilty there is something wrong with the system in Minnesota.
Perhaps it's your understanding of the law?

Yes. Prosecutors charge “look-outs,” people driving cars to and from the location of the crime. Aiding and Abetting a crime requires some kind of active participation. This is why Lane didn’t have to push Chauvin off. Had he stepped back he would not be charged. Maybe fired.
https://twitter.com/MaryMoriarty/status/1384964651956514823?s=20

The Chauvin trial looks like David v. Goliath, but it's not - Minnesota Reformer

An MPPOA spokeswoman said any of the dozen attorneys can assist Nelson — including the three attorneys representing the other three officers charged with aiding and abetting Chauvin. The MPPOA legal defense fund is covering the cost of defending all four fired officers.

MPPOA Executive Director Brian Peters told USA Today he expects the group will spend $1 million or more defending the fired officer, who paid union dues for 19 years. Peters did not respond to a request for comment.

The attorney general’s office has spent a fraction of that, because its team of 13 attorneys includes nine outside attorneys working on the case for free — including former Obama administration Acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal.

The attorney general’s office did not respond to multiple requests for information about how much it’s costing the state to prosecute the case, so the Reformer filed a public records request. In March, Deputy Attorney General Luz María Frías said the office had spent more than $92,000. That figure had climbed over $140,000 by Friday, Frías said in an email.

The Chauvin trial looks like David v. Goliath, but it's not - Minnesota Reformer

An MPPOA spokeswoman said any of the dozen attorneys can assist Nelson — including the three attorneys representing the other three officers charged with aiding and abetting Chauvin. The MPPOA legal defense fund is covering the cost of defending all four fired officers.

MPPOA Executive Director Brian Peters told USA Today he expects the group will spend $1 million or more defending the fired officer, who paid union dues for 19 years. Peters did not respond to a request for comment.

The attorney general’s office has spent a fraction of that, because its team of 13 attorneys includes nine outside attorneys working on the case for free — including former Obama administration Acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal.

The attorney general’s office did not respond to multiple requests for information about how much it’s costing the state to prosecute the case, so the Reformer filed a public records request. In March, Deputy Attorney General Luz María Frías said the office had spent more than $92,000. That figure had climbed over $140,000 by Friday, Frías said in an email.
I have to say, where I live, the cost of the trial never, ever a consideration.

Young women with unusual amounts of courage -----I hope Darnella goes on to use those gifts she has- I expect she will be successful in her life- I am sure the Floyd family will be eternally grateful to her--- She had the presence of mind to record what she witnessed. God bless her.

Sometimes things like this can feel like a blessing and a curse all at once. I hope Darnella is able to use this experience as catalyst to grow into a strong, empathetic woman who will help empower others.

Police chiefs hail Chauvin verdict as a key step to healing

Activist Isaac Wallner said Chauvin’s conviction suggested the country may be starting to take Black communities’ cries of police abuse seriously. But he said a single verdict won’t make him feel safe in his hometown of Kenosha, Wisconsin, where no officers have been charged in last year’s shooting of Jacob Blake.

“Until that day happens when police are afraid to abuse their badge, I’ll continue to be afraid of the police,” Wallner told The Associated Press. “As of right now, they’re not afraid because too many of them have gotten off.”

Sometimes things like this can feel like a blessing and a curse all at once. I hope Darnella is able to use this experience as catalyst to grow into a strong, empathetic woman who will help empower others.

She is now recognized as a hero, which she is. Her testimony was heartbreaking knowing the guilt she has suffered for not being able to save George's life.

<modsnip: Please do not discuss removed posts>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully Chauvin is protected in prison. Plenty of inmates would like to put his feather in their cap. He should get a sentence closer to the manslaughter charge if the judge doesn’t succumb to the pressure. Nelson didn’t argue how much smaller Chauvin was or press the point Chauvin thought he was performing his duty. He’s guilty of manslaughter but the intense climate influenced the jury. i hope he gets 10-15 years and parole in 7-8. Thats reasonable and commensurate with his actions and other sentences for similar charges.

If the Chauvin murder charges hold up on appeal or Lane is found guilty police should change their oath to exclude some calls where you have hostile subjects. Claiming assault just became the defense lawyers dream and ticket to big $$$ settlements. If police are found liable for the 13 year old Chicago boy and 15 year old Ohio girl they should quit taking action all together. Just respond and sit in their cars and video the happenings. Let the chips fall as they may and become witnesses and documentarians. Minneapolis would be good with that considering the city councils views on police.

Former police officer Derek Chauvin has been placed in solitary confinement at a maximum-security prison in Minnesota after a jury convicted him of the murder of George Floyd.

Chauvin will remain in solitary until his sentencing on June 16.

He is to be alone in his cell for all but one hour each day, during which he is allowed to exercise.

The cells are monitored by cameras, and guards are expected to look in on prisoners for a welfare check every 30 minutes.

Chauvin will be kept away from all other prisoners because of fears of his safety, according to a spokesperson for the Minnesota prison system.

Derek Chauvin will spend months in solitary confinement awaiting sentencing for George Floyd's murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlenewatches