TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post, @Beans -- You brought up some good points to think about...
This case is really a doozie, and there are many WS folks here still following, and I'm sure we'll all continue to follow.
I'm not so sure this will be solved in the next few weeks -- or months, perhaps -- but oh, I hope I'm wrong about this.
So we wait...:cool:

* I think the shooter is a male. I very much see hints of male movement disguised with deliberately feminine gestures in walk up to Liz, then quite distinct male movement as they shoot and then make an escape. I wonder if they’re perhaps more effeminate than masculine on a day to day basis anyway.

Great post, and I especially like the points supporting an on line based perpetrator. Like you, I lean towards a "Cos-life" perpertrator.

I do, however, think there is a possible alternative explanation in regards to the mix of masculine and feminine characteristics that the perpetrator seems to display.

Athletic girls / women will often perform any physical activity using masculine postures and body mechanics. This is because they are encouraged to learn masculine body mechanics for greater efficiency, speed, strength etc. in their sport(s).

The trained use of masculine body mechanics can then habitually carry over to other physical activity outside of sports. The same girls / women, however, will quickly revert back to their instinctual feminine hand gestures, walk etc. when not engaged in physical activity.

I see a relatively bigger boned, but athletic female using feminine body mechanics to approach the victim and enter into a conversation. Then, when they attack and escape (physical), entering into a habitual use of masculine body mechanics.

Though hesitant to read too much into the athletic female possibility, softball in particular has a good number of relatively big boned, but fast moving / athletic female participants.

Last edited:
I know many people feel sure of that, especially the man who has those 2 YT videos of it (I didn't watch the whole thing), but what I see is that the shooter hands Elizabeth something (with the left hand) and she took it (with her right hand). The second she began to look at the object, the shooting started - while she was not looking directly at the shooter. I think this was the view of most until recently. Not sure what has changed on that but maybe I need to watch it again.

The potential clues produced by the contents of a note coupled with the additional physical evidence left behind makes me question the existence of a note.

This is such a crazy case to me.I admit I know so little about cosplay though. Had to be 10 or 12 years ago on vacation we were in Raleigh and there was a cosplay convention going on; my kids had to explain why there were all these people dressed up broad daylight.

Great post, and I especially like the points supporting an on line based perpetrator. Like you, I lean towards a "Cos-life" perpertrator.

I do, however, think there is a possible alternative explanation in regards to the mix of masculine and feminine characteristics that the perpetrator seems to display.

Athletic girls / women will often perform any physical activity using masculine postures and body mechanics. This is because they are encouraged to learn masculine body mechanics for greater efficiency, speed, strength etc. in their sport(s).

The trained use of masculine body mechanics can then habitually carry over to other physical activity outside of sports. The same girls / women, however, will quickly revert back to their instinctual feminine hand gestures, walk etc. when not engaged in physical activity.

I see a relatively bigger boned, but athletic female using feminine body mechanics to approach the victim and enter into a conversation. Then, when they attack and escape (physical), entering into a habitual use of masculine body mechanics.

Though hesitant to read too much into the athletic female possibility, softball in particular has a good number of relatively big boned, but fast moving / athletic female participants.

That angle is very interesting. I think I lean more towards the male side of things partly because of the movement and hints of voice in audio but also because the outfit strikes me as the sort of thing a male might choose if they wanted to deliberately try and present as a woman but also wanted to obscure specifics of body shape and proportions from view. Things that instantly catch the eye and identify the human shape as male. It’s slightly OTT. An exaggerated approach - they want to leave you in no doubt that they’re performing femininity. Would a woman dress like that to go out and kill someone? I can’t see it - it’s just too impractical. Women wouldn’t hide behind their hair, they’d hide behind a hat or scarf or similar. Hair just gets in the way and makes you easier to recognise.

If this was planned (and I believe it was) then the outfit was planned too. I find it hard to believe a woman would plan that outfit for this purpose.

Then again, maybe it was a female and she just wanted to get it done then head off to work or something, looking exactly as she always does? It’s possible. It doesn’t feel like the most plausible explanation and it doesn’t sit right for me in this scenario, but it is possible.

This whole case is nuts though, so who knows?

Last edited:
The outfit intrigues me. It’s an outfit that someone would remember. It’s...conspicuous. If it’s a wig, as pointed out...it’s also cumbersome.

Why wear that? Why, heading out to murder someone, not just be a guy in a golf shirt or a woman in jeans and a top?

IMO, becaus it u a costume and wearing that costume is an integral part of whatever the motive might be.

For those who become engrossed in cosplay...their costume becomes part of their identity...so perhaps, they no longer see it as “different” but more like a uniform that is just part of their life. The killer was comfortable, or felt powerful dressed in costume..

And this particular victim would be amused and think a friend or acquaintance was approaching...not be put off by a weirdly attired person approaching them before dawn. Because a person in costume would be viewed as a ‘someone like her” to Elizabeth. She’d be smiling, trying to figure out who it was.

I think there was a moment of horror just as she recognized this person and saw the gun,,,and heard what the killer wanted to say before her shot her.

‘It was early enough that the killer could go home, change and go appropriately dressed to his job or next destination.

The outfit intrigues me. It’s an outfit that someone would remember. It’s...conspicuous. If it’s a wig, as pointed out...it’s also cumbersome.

Why wear that? Why, heading out to murder someone, not just be a guy in a golf shirt or a woman in jeans and a top?

IMO, becaus it u a costume and wearing that costume is an integral part of whatever the motive might be.

For those who become engrossed in cosplay...their costume becomes part of their identity...so perhaps, they no longer see it as “different” but more like a uniform that is just part of their life. The killer was comfortable, or felt powerful dressed in costume..

And this particular victim would be amused and think a friend or acquaintance was approaching...not be put off by a weirdly attired person approaching them before dawn. Because a person in costume would be viewed as a ‘someone like her” to Elizabeth. She’d be smiling, trying to figure out who it was.

I think there was a moment of horror just as she recognized this person and saw the gun,,,and heard what the killer wanted to say before her shot her.

‘It was early enough that the killer could go home, change and go appropriately dressed to his job or next destination.
Okay, so I'm confused. An obnoxious truck, strange but maybe meaningful outfit, knows the timing of husband leaves but before sun rises, not just one gunshot, but four (I think). The audacity to drive back by. Doorbell video not relevant in my train of thought. Truck in neighborhood night before. Why was it noticed? How it acted and/or unusual truck. Bottom line, to me, is brazen killer, not emotional. And that makes me think, like others, professional hit. MHOO

Okay, so I'm confused. An obnoxious truck, strange but maybe meaningful outfit, knows the timing of husband leaves but before sun rises, not just one gunshot, but four (I think). The audacity to drive back by. Doorbell video not relevant in my train of thought. Truck in neighborhood night before. Why was it noticed? How it acted and/or unusual truck. Bottom line, to me, is brazen killer, not emotional. And that makes me think, like others, professional hit. MHOO

You’ve found the perfect word...”brazen.” But then...not. That’s what confuses me.

Everything about this killing seems targeted and personal. And the killer seems, in some important ways, extremely well prepared. The killer drives by the house on the night before so he’s definitely scoping out his “work-place.” The killer knows when exactly to come and find her alone. He’s left little to chance.

He may know about the garage sale and that she will be outside the house for a length of time. He might scope out the camera location and plan his moves to avoid the camera. He comes in time to watch the husband leave but he seems confident that the rest of the neighborhood won’t be out and about and be a deterrent.

He shoots her and then puts the kill shot in her brain to make sure the j0b will succeed. He even drives by again, just to be sure. He certainly doesn’t seem in a hurry to leave the scene. So there us something very experienced and professional about the prep work this killer did to make sure Elizabeth would die. It’s really chilling.

But, at the same time, he is seemingly reckless and brazen in regard to that truck. He must be very VERYconfident that it can’t be tied back to him. He’s been so careful to be sure the killing succeeds, would he be reckless in regard to his own safety...his own ability never to be caught?.

The strange outfit indicates a brazenness as well..because it makes him conspicuous. But again, a killer who has done so much preparation to make sure the murder is successful, must think that the car and the outfit/costume pose little threat to his identity. Or that they actually will help as deterrents to his identity being revealed.

And they have, they have confused us all and seemingly led to no particular suspect.

You’ve found the perfect word...”brazen.” But then...not. That’s what confuses me.

Everything about this killing seems targeted and personal. And the killer seems, in some important ways, extremely well prepared. The killer drives by the house on the night before so he’s definitely scoping out his “work-place.” The killer knows when exactly to come and find her alone. He’s left little to chance.

He may know about the garage sale and that she will be outside the house for a length of time. He might scope out the camera location and plan his moves to avoid the camera. He comes in time to watch the husband leave but he seems confident that the rest of the neighborhood won’t be out and about and be a deterrent.

He shoots her and then puts the kill shot in her brain to make sure the j0b will succeed. He even drives by again, just to be sure. He certainly doesn’t seem in a hurry to leave the scene. So there us something very experienced and professional about the prep work this killer did to make sure Elizabeth would die. It’s really chilling.

But, at the same time, he is seemingly reckless and brazen in regard to that truck. He must be very VERYconfident that it can’t be tied back to him. He’s been so careful to be sure the killing succeeds, would he be reckless in regard to his own safety...his own ability never to be caught?.

The strange outfit indicates a brazenness as well..because it makes him conspicuous. But again, a killer who has done so much preparation to make sure the murder is successful, must think that the car and the outfit/costume pose little threat to his identity. Or that they actually will help as deterrents to his identity being revealed.

And they have, they have confused us all and seemingly led to no particular suspect.
Great post. One of the things that I absolutely can't understand is something you mentioned. Killer shoots her in the head on final shot. I mean, what are the chances of survival? So WHY drive back to look? Four shots could, and I think did, alert neighbors, and there's the killer coming back around in this huge, out of place, truck!

Great post. One of the things that I absolutely can't understand is something you mentioned. Killer shoots her in the head on final shot. I mean, what are the chances of survival? So WHY drive back to look? Four shots could, and I think did, alert neighbors, and there's the killer coming back around in this huge, out of place, truck!

BBM

It's Texas. Those huge trucks are extremely common there. Most households in the state probably have a similar vehicle in the driveway.

Good analysis from everyone about the killer's clothing possibly being a costume they wore that's in some way related to the motive, to the cosplay community that Elizabeth was part of.

For those who are familiar with cosplay and similar groups on social media, can you post some information about Elizabeth online and ask people to send in tips?

If you have any information, call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS. You could be eligible for up to a $20,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest.

I've been looking for a poster for Elizabeth's case online without much luck. I also notice there is no entry for Elizabeth on the Houston Crimestoppers web site. Maybe someone should send them an email and as to update the information and create a poster for her.

The latest article about her in People magazine from January of 2021.

After 18 Months, Police Still Seek Clues on Who Fatally Shot ‘Star Wars’ Fan at Her Own Garage Sale

BBM

It's Texas. Those huge trucks are extremely common there. Most households in the state probably have a similar vehicle in the driveway.

Good analysis from everyone about the killer's clothing possibly being a costume they wore that's in some way related to the motive, to the cosplay community that Elizabeth was part of.

For those who are familiar with cosplay and similar groups on social media, can you post some information about Elizabeth online and ask people to send in tips?

If you have any information, call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS. You could be eligible for up to a $20,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest.

I've been looking for a poster for Elizabeth's case online without much luck. I also notice there is no entry for Elizabeth on the Houston Crimestoppers web site. Maybe someone should send them an email and as to update the information and create a poster for her.

The latest article about her in People magazine from January of 2021.

After 18 Months, Police Still Seek Clues on Who Fatally Shot ‘Star Wars’ Fan at Her Own Garage Sale
Having lived in Houston, I am familiar with the big trucks. But, I thought I read upthread that this particular truck was not common in the area where Elizabeth was murdered.

Having lived in Houston, I am familiar with the big trucks. But, I thought I read upthread that this particular truck was not common in the area where Elizabeth was murdered.

Ok, apologies, then. I'm not sure how uncommon it is, it's been reported both ways.

I do hope this case gets more attention, starting with a new flyer and a posting on the Crimestoppers web site. I can't understand why that has been overlooked, expecially when there's a fairly large reward being offered.

and...as it turns out...she wasn’t dead...not yet. He sure wasn’t squeamish about seeing the results of his attack on the poor woman for a second time.

Was that the only way out of the neighborhood?

I’d consider a Ford F-350 to be a huge truck in Texas.
Four wheel drive is very common.
White is a very common color also - due to the majority of work issued trucks being white.
I think the big three for trucks in Houston seem to be:
Ford
Chevrolet
Dodge

Honda/Nissan are not as common.
All JMO

I’d consider a Ford F-350 to be a huge truck in Texas.
Four wheel drive is very common.
White is a very common color also - due to the majority of work issued trucks being white.
I think the big three for trucks in Houston seem to be:
Ford
Chevrolet
Dodge

Honda/Nissan are not as common.
All JMO
Reviews state that the Nissan Frontier 2013-2018 was the cheapest truck on the US market. Was considered 'compact' because all the small trucks have gone out of production.
https://www.autoguide.com/manufactu...expensive-10-reasons-to-get-a-nissan-frontier

So I would say, it was a somewhat frugal-minded person's truck, not someone splashing out to get the power or the latest bells and whistles .

Saying this, but it's unlikely to have been the killers own truck. I recall how, in the Dulos case, he borrowed an employees truck.

Even if you are into Cosplay and familiar with the concept, it has to strike one as strange to have someone walking up to you in the early morning on a weekday dressed in a costume. While the outfit seems off, Elizabeth didn't react as such when she saw them. This could mean she either knew them (which seems unlikely as she didn't look that way) or they didn't look that bizarre in real life.

I would think if you were into Cosplay and intended to kill her, the last thing you would wear is Cosplay gear. However, if one was not into Cosplay but wanted to make it look like someone in the Cosplay world is responsible, they may wear a costume, no?
MOO and food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member