Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://lawandcrime.com/crime/krist...g-up-moved-victims-body-after-search-warrant/

Did I miss this somewhere else? Snipped and BBM

“According to the lawsuit, the father first helped his son move Smart’s body from the younger Flores’ dorm room at Cal Poly, then hid the victim’s body in different locations.

Citing video and first-hand observations of people at the scene, plaintiffs say that deputies performed another search of the White Court property a year later, focusing on the enclosed lattice area under the deck.”

VIDEO? First hand observation? You know the Flores Fam knows who this Confidential Informant is! If the 2 doe defendants are SF & her bf-it either was them or another party was in attendance.
I hope things just keep coming & the pressure doesn’t let up.

what a smart young woman, im glad that women are taking the cautionary tale and looking out for one another. but on the other hand, i dont like how they say its not lighted with no cameras in the dorm area still.
That really surprises me that the university wouldn't take better precautions for their students at this point. Most campuses that I've visited have call boxes prominently displayed at least.

Ruben Flores did this with the help of “two additional individuals, who will be later named as defendants in this action,” the document reads.

The document being the criminal complaint, which I think was also linked somewhere in the last few of pages.

From: https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article250873499.html

To be clear, this article and the complaint provided in the law and crime link are NOT the criminal complaint but the civil, Wrongful Death complaint filed in Superior Court of CA -County of San Luis Obispo on April 22, 2021.

Because the civil and criminal cases share some but not all case facts, and the evidence in the criminal case is under seal and gag order in place, it seems media presentation about Kristin Smart is becoming a real can of worms.

For the protection of the criminal case, beware that the civil case documents, which are public records, might come across as somewhat cryptic and should not be confused with the criminal case facts.

The wrongful death claim (and linked complaint doc) is about monetary damages only whereas the criminal case is about sealed evidence that will prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused murdered Kristin Smart.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/krist...g-up-moved-victims-body-after-search-warrant/

April 13,2021 . At 7:30 am Paul Flores was arrested for the murder of Kristin Smart at his home in San Pedro,California. His father Rueben Flores was simultaneously arrested in Arroyo Grande,California for accessory after the fact. Both are currently booked in San Luis Obispo County Jail. Rueben Flores’s bail is set at $250,000. No bail is set for Paul. As of the press conference at 2:00 pm pacific this afternoon. Kristin’s remains had not been found. At the time of this mornings arrests 2 new search warrants were executed as well. One at Paul’s home in San Pedro and the other one at his fathers home in Arroyo Grande.

The 2 arrest warrants and the 2 new search warrants are directly related to what they found during their search of Ruebens home in March 2021. Physical forensic evidence was located at 2 homes and they believe it’s linked to Kristin. The current search could last through tomorrow and Sheriff Parkinson said they are checking everywhere possible.

The Sheriff and Cal Poly University President both mentioned Chris Lambert’s podcast. “ your own back yard” Sheriff Ian Parkinson said “ we interviewed several witnesses that had not been previously interviewed due to the podcast.” The podcast was valuable and helped lead to the previous searches. The Sheriff also said they have been monitoring Paul’s cell phone and text messages and have 193 new items of physical evidence. The search warrants are currently sealed so the Sheriff could not discuss their contents. Sheriff Parkinson did say they will continue searching until they find Kristin. The case has now been turned over to the San Luis Obispo County District Attorneys office. Paul Flores is scheduled to be arraigned on Thursday.
Your Own Backyard deserves all the credit. The podcast not only renewed interest in this case (which resulted in the development of new leads and evidence — and which ultimately led to the arrest of Paul Flores and his dad), but it was so well produced! His narration/interview style is very reminiscent of Someone Knows Something, another true crime podcast that is produced by award-winning documentarian and investigator David Ridgen. Their attention to detail, and greeting of pets and such, has a way of making the interviews feel more like intimate conversations among friends. I hope Lambert will continue with the podcast and cover other unsolved cases.

ETA: I now see that CL has already stated he plans to move on from podcasting. Bummer!

Last edited:
The more I think about this case, the more sickened I get. PF was entrusted to take KS home safely after that college party; she was obviously extremely intoxicated & had passed out at one point. But, instead of looking out for her & making sure she got home safe, he waited until everyone else had left & assaulted her...then killed her when she didn't do what he wanted. Unconscionable. What a scum-bag.

Heard this whole interview. Excellent. What's more interesting than what was said is what wasn't said. Fascinating.

This probably isn't news to everyone here, but this interested me: As an '80's kid who also came of age in the '90's to a great extent, I'm a huge fan of music from this era. So, I was interested when CL mentioned (in this interview) the mix-tape that KS had made for her friend/dorm neighbor right before she disappeared. CL tracked down the friend, who gave him a list of the songs on the tape - which he then posted to his site. KS had great taste, and seeing this list was very nostalgic/poignant. I've heard most (but not all) of the songs on the tape, and at some point plan on listening all of them back to back:

MIX TAPE — YOUR OWN BACKYARD
Nobody Knows by The Tony Rich Project
That’s where it’s at.

People do strange things sometimes with vehicles involved in crimes. In 1996, there was an incident where I live where someone i knew was hit and killed after a bunch of teenage BS. It was reported in all the papers that he was ejected from his car after a car crash but other people involved had a different story. The guy who supposedly hit him kept the car and repaired it before the truth came out. Sometimes people just don't want to get rid of things
There was a similar situation where I live — except the guy SPRAY PAINTED his truck a different color! :eek:

I really wish I could get my eyes on SFs deposition. I think comparing that to her current interview could be telling. JMO. I’ve had a feeling that SF has known for awhile what her son did (at least the end result) and RFs part in it. But I do wonder at what point she found/figured it out. If she knew early on, I don’t think she’d be naive enough to mention that RF got a call that night.

Your Own Backyard deserves all the credit. The podcast not only renewed interest in this case (which resulted in the development of new leads and evidence — and which ultimately led to the arrest of Paul Flores and his dad), but it was so well produced! His narration/interview style is very reminiscent of Someone Knows Something, another true crime podcast that is produced by award-winning documentarian and investigator David Ridgen. Their attention to detail, and greeting of pets and such, has a way of making the interviews feel more like intimate conversations among friends. I hope Lambert will continue with the podcast and cover other unsolved cases.

ETA: I now see that CL has already stated he plans to move on from podcasting. Bummer!
He is probably getting a job offer from LE! He has excellent investigative and interviewing skills.

The podcast deserves a lot of credit indeed. CL said the most pertinent information he gleaned during his investigation was never aired and instead given directly to law enforcement. IP even gave CL props in the presser as I am sure ppl know.

Last edited:
Here’s wishing Paul Flores pulls a Jake Wagner and tells the story, I know it’s not likely but I never expected it from JW either.
It’s going to be hard to find scattered bones in those mountains around Huasna

I honestly don’t think he would be told. I mean it’s possible, but I’m guessing RF would be calling the shots and had this done but didn’t give PF details so when asked-he couldn’t tell. Just an assumption of course.

I really wish I could get my eyes on SFs deposition. I think comparing that to her current interview could be telling. JMO. I’ve had a feeling that SF has known for awhile what her son did (at least the end result) and RFs part in it. But I do wonder at what point she found/figured it out. If she knew early on, I don’t think she’d be naive enough to mention that RF got a call that night.

I too have looked for her deposition, CL references a little bit about SF in episode 7, 23:43-27:10 which makes me think it has been filed to the court and is/should be public record. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

JMHO ..... I think SF learned early on, unless we are to believe she never asked Ruben "hey where did you takeoff to last night."

I do wonder if this specific case or if they should find others would fit the “felony rape” standards. If so, according to this link, there isn’t a statue of limitations.

California Criminal Statutes of Limitations

Maybe I am over thinking this, but has anyone else ever thought that some of these things were being carefully planned out for release? It occurred to me initially when CL did the radio show and mentioned that the pieces that were most shocking were not even IN the podcast. Someone here stated that if RF were released he could be tailed and his electronics tapped. It made me wonder if LE knew he’d be let out eventually and were counting on it. Once he was they planned to release things. 1) Once released have Smart family suit papers sent 2) Release info that PF DNA match was made etc etc etc all to see what the reactions were, who they would call, apply the pressure to see who was the weak link and what else would fall out.
I also hope that PFs DNA was used on a wider scale to look at any other cases. Especially with the rumors that he was possibly involved with the Amber Hill murder. I believe her disappearance was the same month as the recently released rape allegations.

OK enough babbling from me

GREAT thinking, Caring4Many! <<thumbup>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members