GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
cops like Chauvin were on easy street until body cam and bystander video....not any more
I would've thought body cams would be the perfect antidote to bystander videos...both sides of the story. I mean who would not stick to the protocols knowing your actions were being recorded by your bodycam. It makes little sense as to why you would carry on regardless no?

I would've thought body cams would be the perfect antidote to bystander videos...both sides of the story. I mean who would not stick to the protocols knowing your actions were being recorded by your bodycam. It makes little sense as to why you would carry on regardless no?

I think that many of these bad actors are not thinking about the protocols. IMO, they are thinking about the idea that in the past and present many are not held to account. For some they have had their actions internally investigated or complaints investigated and NOTHING of consequence happened. I believe they think that the camera will not indict them but rather vindicate them. I am not writing about split second shootings because they are often very dicey in terms of reaction time and the discharge of weapon. But, use of force for someone like this murderer is what the departments and the unions have stood behind. As the leadership and unions begin to hold a different standard then these officers will. This murderer is not alone as we have seen many videos recently (the military guy in VA, Thompson and the VA state trooper, the woman getting punched in the head whilst handcuffed) where we would think that a video would temper these guys BUT the adrenaline, the automaticity of actions, and the belief that there will be no consequences invite the actions. Rodney King's assaulters were acquitted and that was on tape. LE is more of a military force rather than protect and serve in many officers minds. JMHO.

ETA: It takes a lot to train that thinking out of experienced officers who think that way. It takes unions refusing to back the blue who are not doing the right thing.

It is sooo strange that DCh's body camera was found under the car! How convenient for him. Also 2 other ex officers turned them off while discussing the incident after GF was taken by ambulance. This practice should be banned - whats the use of body cam when you can get rid of it whenever you want? Another thing - can you explain what "federal charges" mean? Can DC be charged again? Im not American and it is really interesting for me.

In this case, it's alleged Chauvin initially hit a 14-year-old on the head so hard the child required stitches, before kneeling on him for 17 minutes.

IMO, it would appear Chauvin's megalomaniacal nature was evident as early as 2017.

Why was he not removed from his position as a law enforcement officer immediately?

"...The DOJ’s investigation of the ex-cop is reportedly looking at a past policing incident where Derek Chauvin allegedly held down a 14-year-old boy with his knee for nearly 17 minutes..."

Last edited:
Praying Federal charges come soon.
Me too.
Bigly.
I'm relieved and hopeful now that they are looking at that 2017 case again, but wondering why no action was taken at that time. If it had been, George Floyd might still be alive today.
They are putting the work in.

Watching 20/20 got me riled up again. I'm glad there is a federal investigation into the entire Minneapolis PD. It is necessary considering DC was allowed to train new recruits despite his behavior.

I read the article about Derek Chauvins "indifference" and it really spoke to me. How indifference is so much more rampant than hate. I don't want to get off topic, so I will leave it at that..... and pray Chauvin spends the rest of his life in prison. And in the GP. He deserves no more protection than he allowed Floyd.

Indifference, that will stay with me for a long time.

Except for cops like DC who clearly thought they were untouchable regardless of who observed his behavior. There were no previous consequences, why would he think that day would be any different? Chauvin didn't have a care in the world who saw what, he really believed he was invincible.

Wouldn't it be great if his time in the penn could be live streamed?

Except for cops like DC who clearly thought they were untouchable regardless of who observed his behavior. There were no previous consequences, why would he think that day would be any different? Chauvin didn't have a care in the world who saw what, he really believed he was invincible.

Wouldn't it be great if his time in the penn could be live streamed?
I'd watch that, I would..:)
Well spoke Cubby.

Praying Federal charges come soon.

Watching 20/20 got me riled up again. I'm glad there is a federal investigation into the entire Minneapolis PD. It is necessary considering DC was allowed to train new recruits despite his behavior.

I read the article about Derek Chauvins "indifference" and it really spoke to me. How indifference is so much more rampant than hate. I don't want to get off topic, so I will leave it at that..... and pray Chauvin spends the rest of his life in prison. And in the GP. He deserves no more protection than he allowed Floyd.

Indifference is the sign of being "burnt out" in a job. DC spent too much time doing the same activities day after day, year after year, decade after decade. This condition affects policemen, doctors, teachers. But it was up to DC bosses to change his tasks within police force, especially when he started showing aggression. I think it is a good idea for police officers to have some form of therapy or just psychological session every now and then to deal with constant stress in their job which leads to indifference and the feeling of being burnt out.

Indifference is the sign of being "burnt out" in a job. DC spent too much time doing the same activities day after day, year after year, decade after decade. This condition affects policemen, doctors, teachers. But it was up to DC bosses to change his tasks within police force, especially when he started showing aggression. I think it is a good idea for police officers to have some form of therapy or just psychological session every now and then to deal with constant stress in their job which leads to indifference and the feeling of being burnt out.
It also signifies a cruel nature.
Maybe it was that?

According to Moriarty and other legal experts, the most damaging thing to the prosecution in this case may have been the press conference announcing that the city of Minneapolis would pay $27 million to settle a civil lawsuit from George Floyd’s family. This settlement occurred in the middle of jury selection, when potential jurors could have been exposed to media coverage of the event. The defense brought this up during jury selection, but Cahill did not see it as reason to restart the trial.
Could Rep. Maxine Waters’ comments about the Chauvin trial actually form the basis for an appeal of the verdict? | MinnPost

I read the article about Derek Chauvins "indifference" and it really spoke to me. How indifference is so much more rampant than hate. I don't want to get off topic, so I will leave it at that..... and pray Chauvin spends the rest of his life in prison. And in the GP. He deserves no more protection than he allowed Floyd..."

Snipped for focused response, and BBM

I salute you, @Cubby, as your chilling words of "He deserves no more protection than he allowed Floyd" will stay with me, for a very long time.

More and More from Christensen....this is an elongated version of her interview with some new stuff. She has all of her notes and is showing them to our local station Kare 11

The bystanders were so important in this trial. I bet every juror felt the same way. Just watching the video was emotional, but listening to the witnesses say how helpless they felt and how they wished they could have saved Floyd's life was very impactful. This is what a normal person would feel.

It shows a stark contrast to how the officers felt at the time. Chauvin appears to be completely without empathy, even now.

I think Nelson painting the bystanders as a hostile crowd only served to make the jury more sympathetic to them. Did he really think they would be bothered by Williams calling Chauvin a bum? They were probably all thinking the same thing.

The bystanders were so important in this trial. I bet every juror felt the same way. Just watching the video was emotional, but listening to the witnesses say how helpless they felt and how they wished they could have saved Floyd's life was very impactful. This is what a normal person would feel.

It shows a stark contrast to how the officers felt at the time. Chauvin appears to be completely without empathy, even now.

I think Nelson painting the bystanders as a hostile crowd only served to make the jury more sympathetic to them. Did he really think they would be bothered by Williams calling Chauvin a bum? They were probably all thinking the same thing.
I thought about 1/2 way thru that Nelson would drop that "hostile crowd" theory. I realize he was the only attorney speaking in court but he had a team behind the scenes who you would think would see how stupid that sounded....the photo that Blackwell put up on closing with the "bouquet of humanity" was priceless...they were all lined up and it looked like a Norman Rockwell scene.Honestly he got zero traction on that angle and did his case and client a disservice by continuing down that road.

I thought about 1/2 way thru that Nelson would drop that "hostile crowd" theory. I realize he was the only attorney speaking in court but he had a team behind the scenes who you would think would see how stupid that sounded....the photo that Blackwell put up on closing with the "bouquet of humanity" was priceless...they were all lined up and it looked like a Norman Rockwell scene.Honestly he got zero traction on that angle and did his case and client a disservice by continuing down that road.
He just never knew to quit when he was behind. He kept digging that hole deeper and deeper until he could no longer see the sky.
But he was DC's choice and that boy made some very bad choices in his life and in his career.
Foolish of me to have expected better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member