Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

I have done some quite extensive research on this case as it interested me from the moment I heard about it.
It seems that most of the information that is said in this post is all the knowledge anyone has about this case, its all the same as every other account of the mystery. However, I came across a theory that seemed highly probable to me.
The woman who's phone number was found in the book in which the 'Tamam Shud' insert was take from was reported as looking very 'ill and like she about to faint' when investigators asked her to view 'The Somerton Man' in hope of indentification. Which is awfully suspicious considering she stated that she did not know him.
There had been speculation of both 'The Somerton Man' and the unidentified woman being soviet spies. I recall reading something about someone close to her frequently hearing speak Russian (even though that is obviously just speculation, it does support it) and she would get very evasive when that was addressed.
Also, said woman had a child who had the same rare ear form as 'The Somerton Man' so it is speculated that there was a mixed up between them being opposing spies and also in a Love Triangle with a man that the unidentified woman claims to be the Father of her child. And then the result of this was her poisoning him with an untraceable poison in a pastie that was found in the victims stomach contents.
This theory, to me, seems like a possible situation that could have led to this man's demise and the obscurity of his identity.

I have done some quite extensive research on this case as it interested me from the moment I heard about it.
It seems that most of the information that is said in this post is all the knowledge anyone has about this case, its all the same as every other account of the mystery. However, I came across a theory that seemed highly probable to me.
The woman who's phone number was found in the book in which the 'Tamam Shud' insert was take from was reported as looking very 'ill and like she about to faint' when investigators asked her to view 'The Somerton Man' in hope of indentification. Which is awfully suspicious considering she stated that she did not know him.
There had been speculation of both 'The Somerton Man' and the unidentified woman being soviet spies. I recall reading something about someone close to her frequently hearing speak Russian (even though that is obviously just speculation, it does support it) and she would get very evasive when that was addressed.
Also, said woman had a child who had the same rare ear form as 'The Somerton Man' so it is speculated that there was a mixed up between them being opposing spies and also in a Love Triangle with a man that the unidentified woman claims to be the Father of her child. And then the result of this was her poisoning him with an untraceable poison in a pastie that was found in the victims stomach contents.
This theory, to me, seems like a possible situation that could have led to this man's demise and the obscurity of his identity.[/QUOTE

Deleted.

Last edited:
I find that very difficult to believe.

He just so happened to have a piece of paper ripped out from the book in his possession + the book had Jetyn's phone number in it + the book was found tossed in a random car + she coincidentally gave a different copy of the book to a different man + the SM died near Jestyn's house + Jestyn's child had the same rare genetic defects with his teeth and ears as the SM.

Come on. You have to intentionally not want to believe they knew each other.
In my opinion no I don't believe they knew each other. Yes her number was supposedly on the book but not her name. He also had a number to a bank and another number but that's just not really important to them. The whole spie theory just seems a little to much. Until we get past that theory and look at different avenues. So no in my opinion I don't see them knowing each other.

Bumping. News reports of a few hours ago say he will be exhumed. It’s about time, they got permission in 2019.
I think you will find they (the possible family) had to raise the funds themselves, the South Australian Government said they would not pay for the exhumation, that may explain the delay.

Somerton Man to be exhumed by police in attempt to solve mystery

The remains of the mysterious Somerton Man will be exhumed by police in the hope that DNA samples could solve the case that has baffled detectives, researchers and amateur sleuths for more than seven decades.

After years of public discussion about digging up his remains, SA Police has now had an exhumation order approved by Attorney-General Vickie Chapman, who said the case had generated "intense public interest".

"This man could be someone's father, brother or cousin, and those relatives and friends deserve answers," she said.

"South Australia Police has since come to me with the funding and an application, and I have approved it.

Detective Superintendent Des Bray, from SA Police's Major Crime division, said that improvements in technology would give forensic experts the best chance yet "to possibly identify the man through his DNA".

"I won't speculate on how this man died, but there may also be potential to establish a definitive cause of death," he said.

SA Police will work with Forensic Science SA scientific staff and the Adelaide Cemeteries Authority to carry out the exhumation and reinterment of the man's body.

While a date for the exhumation has not yet been determined, Forensic Science SA director Linzi Wilson-Wilde said it would likely be in the "short term", and that the remains would be transferred to a laboratory for analysis.

"It's going to be extremely challenging in a technical sense — the remains have been buried for over 70 years and, in addition, the body was embalmed which adds further complications," Dr Wilson-Wilde said.

Betcha his identity is known already and has been for some time, via dna from hair found in the plaster cast, but can’t be confirmed without dna from the body itself.
BTW, that animation in the story at the link is plenty creepy.

All those new animation things are creepy.
I just want to put this Somerton mystery to rest because it is one of the biggest mysteries in the "unsolved" world. This and Zodiac are two biggies we need to solve.

I just want to put this Somerton mystery to rest because it is one of the biggest mysteries in the "unsolved" world. This and Zodiac are two biggies we need to solve.
Kaspar Hauser and Isdal Woman would be on my list, along with the two you named.

sbm

"Fitzgerald First Edition published by Whitcomb and Tombs in New Zeeland", I'm guessing they mean the author's first edition, not the first edition published by W&T specifically?

I had the same idea as you and went through the first edition, looking at first letters of both words and lines.
The only thing I could figure out was the amount of letters in the code is around the same as six lines from the text, like the ones beginning at XI.
Someone has probably already worked that out though.

The first edition is here:
Rubaiyat Of Omar Khayyam : Edward Fitzgerald : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
The 'code' is miniature letters in the ink of the word Talman Shud. It's called Microcode and can be 0.2mm.

Kaspar Hauser and Isdal Woman would be on my list, along with the two you named.

As far as I know, Kaspar Hauser has been kind of identified. Or more, his story debunked. They did MtDNA on the blood stain on his clothing several years back and he is not (what was claimed) a lost prince.
As for identification who he really was, we are talking about roughly 200 years ago, genealogy would be difficult.
I guess the most likely thesis is the original one that he was the out of wedlock son of a poor working class local woman and a traveling Tyrolean soldier. I would like to know whether his disability was congenital (Down Syndrome or something) or acquired (lack of medical care/oxygen during birth, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or orphanage syndrome).

As for Somerton Man (we have a thread on him already, it has many pages), I am still waiting for his exhumation results. Prof. Abbott got permission for exhumation in 2019 or 2018, but so far no news.

As far as I know, Kaspar Hauser has been kind of identified. Or more, his story debunked. They did MtDNA on the blood stain on his clothing several years back and he is not (what was claimed) a lost prince.
As for identification who he really was, we are talking about roughly 200 years ago, genealogy would be difficult.
I guess the most likely thesis is the original one that he was the out of wedlock son of a poor working class local woman and a traveling Tyrolean soldier. I would like to know whether his disability was congenital (Down Syndrome or something) or acquired (lack of medical care/oxygen during birth, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or orphanage syndrome).
I don't think that genealogy would be difficult at all. I have found 4th cousins via dna whose common ancestor with me lived in the time of Kaspar Hauser. Of course we both had well researched family trees, but for those of European descent that is easier, as there are baptismal and tax records going far back.
Somerton Man’s dna should be a breeze in comparison. I do believe they know already, and that he was probably American.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back