Found Deceased VA - Ty Sauer, 18, Shenandoah National Park, 22 April 2021

:(:(:(

Search Suspended

Luray, VA - Based on a preliminary identification of remains found Monday, April 26, 2021, the search for Ty Sauer conducted by Shenandoah National Park with support from Virginia Department of Emergency Management has been suspended. All trails in the Hazel Mountain area have been reopened.

The body of a male believed to be Ty Sauer was discovered by searchers today at 2:55 p.m. The body is being transported to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Manassas for positive ID and determination of cause of death. The remains were found in the park about 2.5 miles from the boundary in Rappahannock County and about 2 miles from where he was last seen Thursday, April 22.

Shenandoah National Park joins Virginia Department of Emergency Management in thanking the many organizations that were involved including DOGS-East, Christian Aid Ministries Search & Rescue, Va. Search & Rescue Dog Association, Blue Ridge Mountain Rescue Group, Rockingham-Augusta Search & Rescue, Old Rag Mountain Stewards, Shenandoah Mountain Rescue Group, Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, Trot Search & Rescue, Blue & Gray Search & Rescue Dogs, Search & Rescue Tracking Institute, Piedmont Search & Rescue, K-9 Alert, Va. State Police, Louisa County Sheriff’s Department, Shenandoah Nordic/Backcountry Search and Rescue, Mid-Atlantic D.O.G.S., Greene County, Rockingham Fire, Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, Warren County Sheriff’s Office, Frederick County Sheriff’s Office, Luray Police Department.

Oh, no. This is heartbreaking. So sad. RIP, young man. Condolences to his family and friends. What a horrible thing to have happen. Everyone tried their best in this emergency situation. A real tragedy.

Wonderful work by the searchers, too.

Oh no, omg, his poor parents. Oh no! My heart just sank with a loud low groan. Bless his heart. I’m sad for this young man who’s mom’s dreams for him have just imploded within her. Omg, what is she going to do with her grief? Where can she put it where it doesn’t hurt so bad? Someone, please hold her up. She can’t bear the pain. Omg, it hurts so bad! No!
Prayers for you mom. I’m so very sorry. RIP Ty...

Such a terrible thing, isn't it. He was a bright young man who seemed to have a great future ahead of him. Such a huge loss for any parent.

@helpfulcharlie From the videos of people hiking the trails there, it's very steep with some bid drop-offs. When he first disappeared into the woods, IIRC, it was at night. He could have fallen in the dark.

:(:(:(

Search Suspended

Luray, VA - Based on a preliminary identification of remains found Monday, April 26, 2021, the search for Ty Sauer conducted by Shenandoah National Park with support from Virginia Department of Emergency Management has been suspended. All trails in the Hazel Mountain area have been reopened.

The body of a male believed to be Ty Sauer was discovered by searchers today at 2:55 p.m. The body is being transported to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Manassas for positive ID and determination of cause of death. The remains were found in the park about 2.5 miles from the boundary in Rappahannock County and about 2 miles from where he was last seen Thursday, April 22.

Shenandoah National Park joins Virginia Department of Emergency Management in thanking the many organizations that were involved including DOGS-East, Christian Aid Ministries Search & Rescue, Va. Search & Rescue Dog Association, Blue Ridge Mountain Rescue Group, Rockingham-Augusta Search & Rescue, Old Rag Mountain Stewards, Shenandoah Mountain Rescue Group, Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, Trot Search & Rescue, Blue & Gray Search & Rescue Dogs, Search & Rescue Tracking Institute, Piedmont Search & Rescue, K-9 Alert, Va. State Police, Louisa County Sheriff’s Department, Shenandoah Nordic/Backcountry Search and Rescue, Mid-Atlantic D.O.G.S., Greene County, Rockingham Fire, Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, Warren County Sheriff’s Office, Frederick County Sheriff’s Office, Luray Police Department.
Such heartbreaking news. Rest In Peace, Ty

Sincere prayers to this entire family.

My husband is a pharmacist and I was just talking to him about this medication. They had to take online courses on it since it is very much monitored by Dr's and pharmacists due to these reactions. They can't just refill, the patient needs to seen Dr's regularly and get new refills from them 1st.

So very sad for this young man. Prayers to his family and friends. Horrible outcome.

Yep! Accutane (isotretinoin) is very restricted, and despite its serious potential for psychiatric, it’s only Black Box Warning is due to its even higher risk for severe birth defects. In order for someone to be on Accutane they have to be enrolled in iPledge. Females on the medication have to commit to using two forms of birth control and get a negative pregnancy test every month before the pharmacy can fill it. As with every single medication/drug/herbal supplement, it’s important to weigh risks vs. benefits.

The half-life of isotretinoin is ~16 hours, and we generally think of “the rule of 5” (or it takes 5 half-lives) to reach a steady level or functionally eliminate (this is a very general principle and does not take into account countless other factors). Meaning it’s expected to take ~80 hours for the drug to be primarily eliminated. I suspect he still had the drug in his system if he has been taking it regularly and that it hadn’t been too long since he went missing. However, he was also at the age when psychiatric conditions tend to present themselves, clouding this already complicated picture.

So many prayers that they will be able to find peace.

Sincere prayers to this entire family.

Yep! Accutane (isotretinoin) is very restricted, and despite its serious potential for psychiatric, it’s only Black Box Warning is due to its even higher risk for severe birth defects. In order for someone to be on Accutane they have to be enrolled in iPledge. Females on the medication have to commit to using two forms of birth control and get a negative pregnancy test every month before the pharmacy can fill it. As with every single medication/drug/herbal supplement, it’s important to weigh risks vs. benefits.

The half-life of isotretinoin is ~16 hours, and we generally think of “the rule of 5” (or it takes 5 half-lives) to reach a steady level or functionally eliminate (this is a very general principle and does not take into account countless other factors). Meaning it’s expected to take ~80 hours for the drug to be primarily eliminated. I suspect he still had the drug in his system if he has been taking it regularly and that it hadn’t been too long since he went missing. However, he was also at the age when psychiatric conditions tend to present themselves, clouding this already complicated picture.

So many prayers that they will be able to find peace.

According to a post from his mother's friend on the SNP facebook page, his doctor had recently doubled the dose he was taking. He began to have a bad reaction fairly early, including seizures. Took him to the hospital, he was later released.

Sounds like this stuff should be taken off the market.

I have checked our local newspaper for an article and finally today...
The only new information added is below:

Officials have said little about the circumstances behind Sauer's disappearance.

Comer confirmed late Monday that he was from Union Beach.

Sauer was a member of the track and field team at Keyport High School, according to records from athletic.net.

Keyport Public Schools posted about his disappearance on Facebook over the weekend.

Body of Union Beach teen believed to been found in Virginia park

Condolences to Ty's family and friends

My heart really goes out to his family. I am SO sorry this happened to your loved-one.

I personally think Accutane should stay on the market for cystic acne but it is a serious drug... I am wondering if he was on a half-dose to start with and the doctor simply doubled it recently to the standard dose, and he just had a rare reaction?

Again sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Ty Maxwell Sauer

Wednesday, February 19th, 2003 - Monday, April 26th, 2021

Thumbnail_3.jpg

https://www.evergreenmemorialfuneralhome.com/memorials/ty-sauer/4602543/obituary.php

I didn't follow Ty Sauer's case at the time, but I just read this recent article in the Washington Post, which details his story and the search, with photos. His untimely death was such a tragedy for his family.

If you can't access the Post, here is a gift article link:

He was acting strangely. Then he vanished into the Virginia wilderness.​

The disappearance of 18-year-old Ty Sauer set off a frantic search in a densely wooded area of Shenandoah National Park

SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK, Va. — The 911 call reached a dispatcher just after 10:45 p.m.

Chandra Maxwell couldn’t contain her panic.

“My son just crashed his car on Skyline Drive,” she wailed. “Please! He ran out of the car, and now he’s in the woods. Please, you’ve gotta help me.”

The dispatcher at the Page County Sheriff’s Office offered to transfer her to the headquarters for Shenandoah National Park. As the call beeped, Chandra peered into the darkness. Her 18-year-old son Ty was out there somewhere, lost in the Virginia wilderness.

Ty’s father, John Sauer, swept the flashlight of his cellphone along the forest’s edge, looking for him.

It was Thursday, April 22, 2021, and the couple had chased their son more than 300 miles from their home in Union Beach, N.J., to a scenic overlook in Shenandoah, a place none of them had ever been before. Somehow Ty, an honor roll student just two months from his high school graduation, had become one of the hundreds of people who go missing in a national park each year — a number that has risen as visitors flooded national parks during the pandemic....

it's actually wild how much stuff happens in state and national parks.

whether it be missing persons, murders, or suicides... something scary seems to be happening at all times.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back