NC - Andrew Brown Jr., 40, fatally shot by sheriff’s deputy, Elizabeth City, 21 Apr 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm rewatching the footage of the vehicle, driving pretty recklessly, I might add. Could have hurt civilians and knocked a guy out of the truck bed.

What was their plan for taking him in (assuming they had one)? Were other officers in vehicles on the way? Were they going to dutifully arrest him and put him in the backseat? Was there room for him in there, if there were so many of them inside the vehicle and in the bed? Was someone gonna stay behind with no vehicle cover?

This, plus "nothing found yet", really makes me wonder about their intentions that day. Now I'll stop being repetitive and wait to see what their story is. The problem is, they aren't saying much, so it's on them if people speculate.

ETA: this just showed up a few minutes ago. Looks like an unmarked white car (why unmarked?) rolled up and parked behind them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1387371134413312003

Last edited:
Pasquotank Sheriff Tommy Wooten said in an exclusive interview with WAVY on Wednesday that he will petition the court as well to release the video, and said if it were up to him he would have released the full video as soon as investigators allowed.

The hearing is at 10 a.m., but is not allowed to be streamed live. We’ll have updates coming up later today.
https://twitter.com/KaylaGaskinsTV/status/1387398880732618757

Judge could order release of bodycam footage in Andrew Brown Jr. case Wednesday | WAVY.com

Oh wow. So the theory is all those cops showed up and immediately killed the guy they were serving a warrant, then made a decision not to do a thorough search and leave drugs in the house?
Not necessarily. The way I interpreted it was that nothing was listed as being found on the warrant, but that doesn't mean they aren't still searching. We don't know when the warrant expires. If they believe there were drugs in the house or the car I would think they would want to search thoroughly. However, I don't know how it works when the suspect is killed instead of arrested to face charges.

Not necessarily. The way I interpreted it was that nothing was listed as being found on the warrant, but that doesn't mean they aren't still searching. We don't know when the warrant expires. If they believe there were drugs in the house or the car I would think they would want to search thoroughly. However, I don't know how it works when the suspect is killed instead of arrested to face charges.
...or in the yard. Who knows?

Attorneys for the family said Pasquotank County Attorney Mike Cox blocked viewing of any additional footage and excluded some family and attorneys from seeing the tape.

“I want you to know that the sheriff was very, very apologetic and diplomatic,” one of the family’s attorneys, Bakari Sellers, said Monday. “The sheriff wanted to make sure that the family saw the video, but it was the county attorney that gave us this back and forth.”

“The PCSO recordings contain the images and voices of officers involved that have not been publicly identified due to an active internal or criminal investigation,” the petition stated. “Due to the public interest in this case PCSO is requesting the PCSO recordings be released to Khalil Ferebee, the adult son of Mr. Brown.”
Will body camera footage be released in Andrew Brown Jr. case? - Carolina Public Press

It'll be interesting to learn who strategized this arrest and their reasoning. It seems to me that since they had obviously been videoing his transactions for evidence, they were not in a big hurry to arrest him and could have selected a better scenario to execute an arrest. What was the big rush to kill him? jmo

I would think they would still want to find the drugs, killing an alleged dealer and leaving the drugs behind in the community doesn’t seem like a very efficient war on drugs, and not collecting the evidence of a crime after you kill a suspect doesn’t make sense either.

“I want to confirm that Special Agents of the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) are continuing to conduct a comprehensive, objective, and thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death of Andrew Brown, Jr.,” Schurmeier said.

“As an agency, we share the family and community’s sense of urgency to understand precisely what occurred during this incident,” the director said.

“As far as any relevant video, we defer to the local authorities and the courts to make that determination as guided by State law. The SBI supports transparency to the greatest extent possible, as we think this serves the interests of the family, the local community, and North Carolina as a whole,” Schurmeier said.
SBI committed to ‘truth and justice’ in Andrew Brown Jr. investigation, director says | CBS 17

Follow below for more updates on North Carolina. Mobile users click here.

LIVE UPDATES: Elizabeth City, NC roads closed ahead of Andrew Brown Jr. bodycam court hearing

Tony Riddick of Hertford was one of about 300 protesters who marched Tuesday night.

“It touches me deeply because I'm a human and you don't want to see humans fall that way,” Riddick said. “But this right here touched me and made me come out physically because I'm from the area and I understand the history of racism in this area. It's deep, man.”
Andrew Brown Jr. Funeral Set For Monday With Al Sharpton Eulogy

“I want to confirm that Special Agents of the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) are continuing to conduct a comprehensive, objective, and thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death of Andrew Brown, Jr.,” Schurmeier said.

“As an agency, we share the family and community’s sense of urgency to understand precisely what occurred during this incident,” the director said.

“As far as any relevant video, we defer to the local authorities and the courts to make that determination as guided by State law. The SBI supports transparency to the greatest extent possible, as we think this serves the interests of the family, the local community, and North Carolina as a whole,” Schurmeier said.
SBI committed to ‘truth and justice’ in Andrew Brown Jr. investigation, director says | CBS 17
I'm impressed with how patient the public has been while waiting for more information. So far all the protests have been peaceful. I haven't heard of any violence or riots breaking out. People seem to be complying with the curfew. I hope it stays that way.

This is a breaking news update.
Andrew Brown Jr.'s car hit deputies before they fired shots, killing him, a North Carolina prosecutor said Wednesday.
Prosecutor: Andrew Brown Jr.'s car struck deputies before fatal shooting

"At this sheriff's office we have a high standard, a high standard of accountability," Wooten said. "And they know that. And they know what ever situation arises and how they take action in the moment, that they will be held accountable."

Wooten said characterizing Brown's death as "an execution" was "inflammatory to the community."
New video shows 4 seconds between police arrival and the fatal shooting of Andrew Brown Jr., attorney says

Andrew Brown Jr.'s car hit deputies before they fired shots, killing him, a North Carolina prosecutor said Wednesday.

"At this sheriff's office we have a high standard, a high standard of accountability," Wooten said. "And they know that. And they know what ever situation arises and how they take action in the moment, that they will be held accountable."

Wooten said characterizing Brown's death as "an execution" was "inflammatory to the community."
New video shows 4 seconds between police arrival and the fatal shooting of Andrew Brown Jr., attorney says

Hopefully none of people struck by the car were injured - not seeing it reported if they were.

Was a gun found on him?

<modsnip>

NOW, I want to make this very clear please. In no way do I believe Mr. Brown being killed is justified. I haven't seen any evidence thus far that shows it to be justified. Imo, since he was well known to LE it seems they could have put him under close surveillance, and found him again when he was possibly making another drug deal. Getting drug dealers off the streets is vitally important, BUT not this way. Imo, they lost their chance to find out where he was getting his drug supply, and if he had it all stashed somewhere else.

That is why it's extremely important to take each case on an individual bases instead of collectively as if all cops are the same when there isn't one scintilla of evidence showing it is factually true. In fact bad cops are in the small fraction who do unjustified killings. They come in contact face to face with 2.5M on any average year. I do expect it to climb since we have soaring violent crimes in so many cities.

I did see on the news yesterday where a vast survey was done of all of our officers, and 95 percent never had to draw their weapon the entire time they have served.

Jmho

Last edited by a moderator:

You would think that they would show the video of that wouldnt you?

ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. -- Andrew Brown Jr.'s car hit deputies before they fired shots, killing him, a North Carolina prosecutor said Wednesday.

District Attorney Andrew Womble told a judge at a hearing Wednesday that he viewed body camera video and disagreed with a characterization by attorneys for the family of Andrew Brown Jr. that his car was stationary when the shooting started.

Womble said the video shows that Brown's car made contact with law enforcement twice before shots could be heard on the video.

"As it backs up, it does make contact with law enforcement officers," he said, adding that the car stops again. "The next movement of the car is forward. It is in the direction of law enforcement and makes contact with law enforcement. It is then and only then that you hear shots."

I figured there would be more to this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa