GUILTY CO - Cops violently arrested woman with dementia, 73, laughed about it afterwards, 2021

I wouldn't bet on that. This happened twelve months ago and only since it became public are they 'investigating' it.
I think you missing what I am saying. When this happened last summer, the use of force was known and was supposed to be investigated back then. That either didn't happen, it did happen but was so cursory and inept that it revealed nothing, or it revealed what happened and they covered it up. That will come out now. So if you were in that chain of command or in that squad supposed to be investigating this, you've got a big problem right now.

I think you missing what I am saying. When this happened last summer, the use of force was known and was supposed to be investigated back then. That either didn't happen, it did happen but was so cursory and inept that it revealed nothing, or it revealed what happened and they covered it up. That will come out now. So if you were in that chain of command or in that squad supposed to be investigating this, you've got a big problem right now.
And my point is, that like always, it was not seen to be misuse of force by the investigators 'investigating' themselves.
How many more cases like this where people do not have the means to sue or are intimidated out of it by what may happen to them and their loved ones.
The whole system is corrupt IMO.

Here's a YouTube link that includes the store employees confronting Karen Garner as she tries to leave the store (through the Garden Dept., it appears) without paying for her items.

It then proceeds with the body cam footage of Officer Austin Hopp apprehending her.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/20/karen-garner-video-loveland-criminal-probe/

"Following days of outcry after the release of body-camera footage, the city announced Monday that it is opening an independent probe into Garner’s treatment. Separately, Colorado’s Eighth Judicial District Attorney Gordon McLaughlin said his office’s critical response team will investigate whether there was “any potential criminal behavior” by the Loveland officers."

"The Loveland Police Department has also suspended Officer Austin Hopp, who initially handcuffed Garner; two others who were on the scene, Officer Daria Jalali and Sgt. Phil Metzler, have been placed on administrative duty while the inquiry is carried out."

Yes, 12 months later and it would not have come out without it. Their 'investigations' did not lead to anything. Only the lawsuit has.
Actually what I think is that the lawsuit was filed and not much was happening until someone got ahold of some very incriminating videos and put them up on the internets... it corresponds to when the officers were put on administrative leave.. the lawsuit predated that

I'm actually beginning to question the justification for the officer to stop her initially anyway. The Walmart employees recovered the items. So I would like to know what exactly Walmart told the police. The officer makes no attempt as far as I can hear to explain to the woman why she is being stopped.

I'm actually beginning to question the justification for the officer to stop her initially anyway. The Walmart employees recovered the items. So I would like to know what exactly Walmart told the police. The officer makes no attempt as far as I can hear to explain to the woman why she is being stopped.
I cant think of anything that the Walmart staff would say to police which deserves that treatment.

If Walmart has a "no exceptions" policy for shoplifting, they may have taken the items and were unable to detain her. She might have refused to stop when they tried to get her to do so.This might have triggered a call to police.

Any way you look at this though, this was an older woman who is small in stature (80 lbs.) who was not even talked to by this officer. To me, that is the crime. Police have discretion in issuing citations and making arrests. He approached her in an aggressive way which might frighten anyone let alone a woman with dementia. Hearing her arm pop and not getting her immediate medical help is also criminal as she was in his custody--- elder abuse. I do wonder if they thought she was homeless and there would be no one in her corner to press this issue. I would love for all in CO to rise up. Elijah McClain was also attacked by police. Mental health and policing is an important issue to address. However, in this case, this was an older woman whose actions made no sense--why would she continue to walk away? why would she not comply? They had not face to face interaction just him coming toward her and tackling her.

They both need to be fired and their supervisors disciplined.

I cant think of anything that the Walmart staff would say to police which deserves that treatment.
What I would like to know is, did Walmart tell the police that this woman HAD shoplifted, or that she tried and they prevented her. Walmart would likely want an ID of the woman and a citation (not actually a citation would be warranted however). Walmart just wants that so they can ban the person from the store. Walmart will almost never pursue or participate in further criminal proceedings. So all the officer needed to do was talk to the woman and see her ID. A simple citation was the most that would have come out of this. But as she walks away he just immediately becomes confrontational. He doesn't tell her he needs to talk to her about a shoplifting claim or anything. Now, I'm not sure she would have stopped anyway in her condition. But it seems pretty clear right from the start that something isn't right about her. Why not simply follow her, or even offer to give her a ride home, if she just talks to him for a minute. Taking her to the ground so fast seems really unwarranted. And of course the use of force after that is absurd. As for the video in the police station, I just shake my head.

What I would like to know is, did Walmart tell the police that this woman HAD shoplifted, or that she tried and they prevented her. Walmart would likely want an ID of the woman and a citation (not actually a citation would be warranted however). Walmart just wants that so they can ban the person from the store. Walmart will almost never pursue or participate in further criminal proceedings. So all the officer needed to do was talk to the woman and see her ID. A simple citation was the most that would have come out of this. But as she walks away he just immediately becomes confrontational. He doesn't tell her he needs to talk to her about a shoplifting claim or anything. Now, I'm not sure she would have stopped anyway in her condition. But it seems pretty clear right from the start that something isn't right about her. Why not simply follow her, or even offer to give her a ride home, if she just talks to him for a minute. Taking her to the ground so fast seems really unwarranted. And of course the use of force after that is absurd. As for the video in the police station, I just shake my head.

I did a search for shoplifting policies of Walmart. While it appears that there is one policy for the company, different states seem to have differing ways of dealing with shoplifters. In some states, people are arrested if the product total is 25 dollars or more. So, it would be very good to know what this Walmart in this state does and what was the process of calling police. Evidently, shoplifting in CO has had a dramatic increase over the past year with lots of online articles.

I know Wal-Mart usually ask cops to ticket shoplifters. And usually get a stay away order that is my experience after working there for years. The cops are the ones with the problem IMHO. I do not blindly look at cops as heros they are human except these officers they need to all be fired. IMHO JMO AND ALL THAT JAZZ

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/20/karen-garner-video-loveland-criminal-probe/

"Employees intercepted her outside and took the items back, refusing to take her credit card to pay for them. In a statement, Walmart said it contacted the police because she allegedly pulled off an employee’s mask."

“We stopped Ms. Garner after noticing her attempt to take merchandise from the store without paying for it. When we addressed this issue directly with her the situation escalated when she forcibly removed an associate’s facemask and fled the store,” Walmart said in a statement. “The police were called only after Ms. Garner became physical with an associate.”

I had read in another article (but don't have a link) that Walmart made it clear to the police that they had taken the items from Karen Garner (i.e., she had not successfully "shoplifted" anything), but that they advised police as to which direction she went when she left the premises. (Take this with a grain of salt, as I don't have the link.)

So nothing is going to happen to the cops?

I firmly believe that justice will be served in this case. They will all get what they deserve.

Above all, I hope this little lady receives a huge settlement so that she can live out the rest of her days in the utmost of comfort. That her loved ones can finally have peace of mind and be able to heal. While her injuries were painful, I somehow think that the injuries suffered by those who love her were even more so.

I had read in another article (but don't have a link) that Walmart made it clear to the police that they had taken the items from Karen Garner (i.e., she had not successfully "shoplifted" anything), but that they advised police as to which direction she went when she left the premises. (Take this with a grain of salt, as I don't have the link.)

I firmly believe that justice will be served in this case. They will all get what they deserve.

Above all, I hope this little lady receives a huge settlement so that she can live out the rest of her days in the utmost of comfort. That her loved ones can finally have peace of mind and be able to heal. While her injuries were painful, I somehow think that the injuries suffered by those who love her were even more so.

I hope so too. I will be watching. I am not anti-police at all- but monsters like these who have power over people should be held at least as accountable by law as a regular citizen would be if they did such a horrible thing, perhaps more so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back