Identified! IN - Lake Village, 'Brad' 1384UMIN, Eyler victim, Oct'83 - John Ingram Brandenburg, Jr.

Oh wow...I went to grammar school in Chicago with a girl who's last name was Brandenburg. (Not the same family.) There were a lot of Brandenburg's living in Chicago, back in the day.

Very glad he has his name back...RIP John Ingram Brandenburg.

Last edited:
That is very German.
That doesn't mean much in itself. My surname comes from Danish Vikings, but my ancestry is mostly (probably 90%) Celtic.

Totally true. If only the direct male lineage was of German descent and everybody else Anglo, then we get that result.
Is Ingram a second family name?

That is very German.

Totally true. If only the direct male lineage was of German descent and everybody else Anglo, then we get that result.
Is Ingram a second family name?
The genetic distances of the O4 report seem to be quite large (~13.664 is the 'closest' number) so I figured not to read too much into them.

That was fast - wasn't he just added in March? Amazing work from the DNA Doe Project!

Here is the photo of John Ingram Brandenburg, Jr shared by the Newton County, Indiana Coroner's Office.

Amazing work! Really that is so incredible they have identified him. Was he ever reported missing?
My heart goes out to the family.

Like I wrote in the other post. Funny how he was named Brad Doe (Not John) and his real name was John.

John "Johnny" Ingram Brandenburg
February 14, 1964 - April 27, 2021*
*(summer 1983)
He was the son of Cleta Louis Brandenburg of Grays, Kentucky and the late, John Ingram Brandenburg. He was the brother of Jonathan Brandenburg, Jason Brandenburg, Bobby Brandenburg and Teresa Thomas all of Grays, Kentucky

It's a strange and sad coincidence that he's from Gray, a tiny place just off US-25E in Knox County, Kentucky. He was very far from there when he was murdered in 1983. He remained unknown for decades until he was recently identified.

Espy Regina Black Pilgrim was found deceased in a discarded refrigerator along the road near Gray in 4/1985. She'd been seen looking for a ride at a truck stop in nearby London shortly before her murder. This was far from her home in Rutherford County, NC, and she was not identified until 2018.

So there's a tiny town (if Gray even qualifies as a town) in rural Kentucky that has ties to two unrelated murders of unidentified victims. The two murder victims both remained nameless for decades. Totally unrelated, but the were in the same situation for so many years.

Does anybody know anything about this guy's murder? (like how he came into contact with Eyler, was he ever reported missing, etc.)
I just know that he was a young guy that was born in eastern Kentucky and had moved to Chicago...

Last edited:
John "Johnny" Ingram Brandenburg
February 14, 1964 - April 27, 2021*
*(summer 1983)

It's a strange and sad coincidence that he's from Gray, a tiny place just off US-25E in Knox County, Kentucky. He was very far from there when he was murdered in 1983. He remained unknown for decades until he was recently identified.

Espy Regina Black Pilgrim was found deceased in a discarded refrigerator along the road near Gray in 4/1985. She'd been seen looking for a ride at a truck stop in nearby London shortly before her murder. This was far from her home in Rutherford County, NC, and she was not identified until 2018.

So there's a tiny town (if Gray even qualifies as a town) in rural Kentucky that has ties to two unrelated murders of unidentified victims. The two murder victims both remained nameless for decades. Totally unrelated, but the were in the same situation for so many years.

Does anybody know anything about this guy's murder? (like how he came into contact with Eyler, was he ever reported missing, etc.)
I just know that he was a young guy that was born in eastern Kentucky and had moved to Chicago...

Eyler didn't recall much about Johnny unlike Adam, but he claimed to have met Johnny at the home of Robert Little. Johnny and Robert seemed to know each other, and Robert convinced Johnny to go to the barn for sex activities. At the barn, Johnny was tied up and Robert took photos of him. Eyler then told Johnny "Okay, make your peace with God, motherf***er", and Johnny was killed.

I got chills reading the confession, like I said.

I got chills reading the confession, like I said.

OK... I'd kind of read that part, along with a lot of the rest of the confession(s). I just couldn't keep straight what happened to which victim and who was who. Kind of hard when Eyler didn't really know many/any of them (especially since a few have yet been ID'ed).

I really don't understand why he (or anybody) would speak to someone like Prof. Little, let alone hang out at his house. It's sickening that he's still out there somewhere, just living his life like nothing bad had ever happened

By coincidence I'll be driving through that community in a couple of weeks, on my way to Virginia.

What little there is of the "town" part of Gray is bypassed by 25E and is one one of the remaining snippets of the old road. (I think there's a green "Gray" sign marking it on the current road, though.) It's been like that for ages, which is probably why Pilgrim's killer was able to do everything unnoticed.

The genetic distances of the O4 report seem to be quite large (~13.664 is the 'closest' number) so I figured not to read too much into them.

They are mainly a very rough statistical estimate, even if closer (it is said anything until the distance of 6 is more accurate, but of course not set in stone, either). He generally is genetically fairly distant from any population.

I found the sheer amount of his matches interesting, points to a place with lots of endogamy. And his ethnicity estimate is probably the most Middle/Northern European chart I have ever seen in my life.

I was just looking at the recons and to me it looks like the computer generated one is the one that least looks like John. I wonder if the older recons of Adam have a noticeable difference also.

Attachments

• 32FCF0CC-24F4-47CF-90EE-5A9CFD6660D5.png
    32FCF0CC-24F4-47CF-90EE-5A9CFD6660D5.png
    337.3 KB · Views: 7
  • F5DE8AB5-83DF-4F71-A0CA-0778A01F093C.png
    F5DE8AB5-83DF-4F71-A0CA-0778A01F093C.png
    376.8 KB · Views: 5
  • D8532472-E628-46A9-B8E4-6C4EA6A2D6E1.jpeg
    D8532472-E628-46A9-B8E4-6C4EA6A2D6E1.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 6
  • BBC84182-8992-41A7-9344-171D33F17BEF.jpeg
    BBC84182-8992-41A7-9344-171D33F17BEF.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 5
Now Brad was identified but does anyone know if the others (other than Adam of course) have been identified ., I did not know that there were more Eyler victims that were still not identified.
————///
As of August 2019, Adam and Brad’s true identities continue to remain a mystery. However, they aren’t alone. At least two of Eyler’s Indiana victims are still unknown, with one also in Illinois.

Serial killer who terrorized NWI: Some victims nameless long after 21 murders

Now Brad was identified but does anyone know if the others (other than Adam of course) have been identified ., I did not know that there were more Eyler victims that were still not identified.
————///
As of August 2019, Adam and Brad’s true identities continue to remain a mystery. However, they aren’t alone. At least two of Eyler’s Indiana victims are still unknown, with one also in Illinois.

Serial killer who terrorized NWI: Some victims nameless long after 21 murders
He's the last one from this dump site. The other two white boys were identified rather quickly.
There are a few bodies spread around IN/IL that are more-or-less certain Eyler victims. With the way he got his job done so quickly and efficiently, there's probably some yet to be found and some that were found but weren't attributed to Eyler.

Alright then. RIP John Ingram Brandenburg (February 14, 1964 - c. 1982*)

*I'm not sure exactly where, but it was sometime over the past couple days when I was looking into Brandenburg... I saw the "approximate date of murder" was estimated to be around 5/31/1983.

I'm sure it's somewhere in all of the legal papers I'd looked at over the years, I just haven't had the chance to find it yet

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back