GUILTY OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any evidence they were users of drugs, before or after the murders? Quite frankly, I don't think this family needed anything but their own faulty logic and a little of their own adrenaline to carry them thru. Jmo

Didn't the 'prior acts evidence' say that BW (at least) transported drugs?

Last edited:
Is there any evidence they were users of drugs, before or after the murders? Quite frankly, I don't think this family needed anything but their own faulty logic and a little of their own adrenaline to carry them thru. Jmo

None that I am aware of, but I do agree with you that extreme anger, faulty wiring, and adrenaline highs kept them motivated. Just too bad they didn't short circuit before these murders. o_O

What is all the meth speculation about? Was evidence admitted the Wagners were on meth?

Who is Edward Jake Wagner? Bio, Wiki, Age, Pleads Guilty, Killings Of 8 In Same Family Full Details - Daily Bio, Wiki News

Ohio Man Pleads Guilty in 2016 Killings of 8 in Same Family

April 22, 2021

An Ohio man pleaded guilty on Thursday to eight counts of aggravated murder in the fatal shootings of his child’s mother and seven of her family members in 2016, a crime that spurred rampant speculation that it was tied to drug trafficking but that prosecutors said had stemmed from a bitter custody dispute.

The man, Edward Wagner, 28, apologized for his role in the killings of eight members of the Rhoden family, five years to the date that their bodies were found in several mobile homes and a camper in a sparsely populated area of Pike County in the southern part of the state. Each victim had been shot in the head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why jail transactions are part of this case. Why are these 3 people's transactions in discovery? What part do they play here? I just don't grasp this is why I ask.

With the dates both being 7/5/16, and both being under the header Inmate Info Requests, these could be requests for reports by LE in the early part of the investigation when exploring all the early angles. Kinda like all the many phones listed by various individuals in the early discoveries. Just a possibility/opinion

Didn't the prior acts evidence include that BW transported drugs?

It's important to note that the prior acts referenced by the prosecutor are only allegations. In fact, this was one of the complaints heard in court on April 12 where the defense requested discovery of the alleged prior acts that the prosecutor has long been threatening the defense with.

Previously, instead of producing the true evidence under Rule 404b, the prosecution has only given notice that the state may use certain alleged prior acts in the case against the accused. It was made very clear (by the Judge) to the prosecutor during the April 12 hearing that the burden is on the state to produce the true prior acts evidence they possess under Rule 404b.

Earlier today - the defense filed and delivered multi-pages of discovery under Rule 16, and I expect they will soon be filing and delivering the prior acts evidence. In other words -- until you see the prior acts filed in court -- they are only allegations.

MOO

Last edited:
I don't understand why jail transactions are part of this case. Why are these 3 people's transactions in discovery? What part do they play here? I just don't grasp this is why I ask.

I think the transaction is between these people and the Wagners, like the Wagners were communicating with the inmates. Sounds like "You give me this information and I'll pay you " "Let me talk to so and so and he will pay you." Or "Bring me in such and such when you visit."

I think the Wagners were communicating with them through the phone. Possibly e-mail. The Wagners did something for them or the inmates did some favor for the Wagners.

It might not involve the Wagners at all but they were willing to talk to each other over the phone when court ordered not to, including a three way call, Billy ran drugs and thus was associating with criminals, they committed theft, set fires - probably for insurance money - and so forth.

Just a theory

Last edited:
I think the transaction is between these people and the Wagners, like the Wagners were communicating with the inmates. Sounds like "You give me this information and I'll pay you " "Let me talk to so and so and he will pay you." Or "Bring me in such and such when you visit."

I think the Wagners were communicating with them through the phone. Possibly e-mail. The Wagners did something for them or the inmates did some favor for the Wagners.

It might not involve the Wagners at all but they were willing to talk to each other over the phone when court ordered not to, including a three way call, Billy ran drugs and thus was associating with criminals, they committed theft, set fires - probably for insurance money, and so forth.

Just a theory
Oh, now I understand. TY

I believe any idea that JW was using meth is speculation only that is probably tied to earlier speculation that the murders were tied to drug trafficking. To my knowledge, there are no meth-related charges associated with the case whatsoever.

Also, some have also speculated that JW's face/skin resembled that characteristic of somebody using meth. I don't know the date of this photo deemed the "meth look." Nonetheless -- it's all speculation. MOO.

Edward-Jake-Wagner-2.jpg

Who is Edward Jake Wagner? Bio, Wiki, Age, Pleads Guilty, Killings Of 8 In Same Family Full Details - Daily Bio, Wiki News

April 22, 2021

An Ohio man pleaded guilty on Thursday to eight counts of aggravated murder in the fatal shootings of his child’s mother and seven of her family members in 2016, a crime that spurred rampant speculation that it was tied to drug trafficking but that prosecutors said had stemmed from a bitter custody dispute.

The man, Edward Wagner, 28, apologized for his role in the killings of eight members of the Rhoden family, five years to the date that their bodies were found in several mobile homes and a camper in a sparsely populated area of Pike County in the southern part of the state. Each victim had been shot in the head.
[/QUO
It's important to note that the prior acts referenced by the prosecutor are only allegations. In fact, this was one of the complaints heard in court on April 12 where the defense requested discovery of the alleged prior acts that the prosecutor has long been threatening the defense with.

Previously, instead of producing the true evidence under Rule 404b, the prosecution has only given notice that the state may use certain alleged prior acts in the case against the accused. It was made very clear (by the Judge) to the prosecutor during the April 12 hearing that the burden is on the state to produce the true prior acts evidence they possess under Rule 404b.

Earlier today - the defense filed and delivered multi-pages of discovery under Rule 16, and I expect they will soon be filing and delivering the prior acts evidence. In other words -- until you see the prior acts filed in court -- they are only allegations.

MOO
I dont understand why 'prior acts' only seem to regard drugs or trafficking. Why doesn't receiving stolen property matter to 'prior acts'. Or flashing guns at traffic lights to see who gets to go first?
Father charged in Pike County murders had past brushes with law

I dont understand why 'prior acts' only seem to regard drugs or trafficking. Why doesn't receiving stolen property matter to 'prior acts'. Or flashing guns at traffic lights to see who gets to go first?

In both cases OP cites -- the accused plead no contest to the charges and received minimal sentences. No contest means you admit no guilt for the crime, but the court can determine the punishment. Nonetheless, I don't believe either of these offenses would be admissible (or relevant) under rules of evidence for the actual charges the accused faces. Evidence of a person’s character or character trait is not admissible to prove that on a particular occasion the person acted in accordance with the character or trait. Evidence that Billy is prone to road rage and recipient of stolen property doesn't make for a murderer.

Rule 404. Character Evidence; Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts
[..]

(b) Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts.

(1) Prohibited Uses. Evidence of any other crime, wrong, or act is not admissible to prove a person’s character in order to show that on a particular occasion the person acted in accordance with the character.

(2) Permitted Uses. This evidence may be admissible for another purpose, such as proving motive, opportunity, intent, preparation, plan, knowledge, identity, absence of mistake, or lack of accident.

(3) Notice in a Criminal Case. In a criminal case, the prosecutor must:

(A) provide reasonable notice of any such evidence that the prosecutor intends to offer at trial, so that the defendant has a fair opportunity to meet it;

(B) articulate in the notice the permitted purpose for which the prosecutor intends to offer the evidence and the reasoning that supports the purpose; and

(C) do so in writing before trial — or in any form during trial if the court, for good cause, excuses lack of pretrial notice.

Rule 404. Character Evidence; Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts

The Prior Acts Evidence lists pages of Prior Acts.

There are Prior Acts involving guns, Prior Acts involving theft, arson, threats, physical abuse like Jake choking HR, harassment, coercing witnesses to say and do what they want including going with them to see their attorneys, spying on HR and trying to get others to spy including spying on their phones and computers, hiring a private investigator, coercing and threatening to kill George's ex until she signed over custody then keeping her child away from her including taking him to AK, emotional abuse, total control, wanting the 2 children to call Angela mom and see her as their mom even though Jake remarried and even though George's ex is the real mother....etc....

Last edited:
I believe any idea that JW was using meth is speculation only that is probably tied to earlier speculation that the murders were tied to drug trafficking. To my knowledge, there are no meth-related charges associated with the case whatsoever.

<ModSnip>

>

April 22, 2021

Regarding the face pic it could just as easily be a Marijuana/Shatter addiction too. Jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
The Prior Acts Evidence lists pages of Prior Acts.

There are Prior Acts involving guns, Prior Acts involving theft, arson, threats, physical abuse like Jake choking HR, harassment, coercing witnesses to say and do what they want including going with them to see their attorneys, spying on HR and trying to get others to spy including spying on their phones and computers, hiring a private investigator, coercing and threatening to kill George's ex until she signed over custody then keeping her child away from her including taking him to AK, emotional abuse, total control, wanting the 2 children to call Angela mom and see her as their mom even though Jake remarried....etc....
Thank you. I see that 'prior acts' are in regard to these murders. Do we know if George's son's mother has custody of her child? I suppose we will not know out of his privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member