Michigan - Coronavirus COVID-19

Do you still feel this way?

Restricting movements will bring the new case numbers down very quickly and will save lives while the vaccines continue to roll out. It would be such a great grief if anyone died of Covid because people refused to adjust their behaviour during these few critical months.
I do. Some of my reasons are outlined in this article.
Gov. Whitmer not backing down after CDC director calls for shutdown

ETA @musicaljoke, I respect your thoughts. I am working so I don’t have time to add mine right now.

Last edited:
I do. Some of my reasons are outlined in this article.
Gov. Whitmer not backing down after CDC director calls for shutdown

ETA @musicaljoke, I respect your thoughts. I am working so I don’t have time to add mine right now.

Whitmer, from the linked article:

"We sill have some of the strictest, most strong protocols in the country,” she said. “It’s not a policy problem, it’s a compliance problem, it’s a variants problem. For a long time in Michigan, we kept our numbers so low. I mean we were the envy of most other states and yet because of that success, now that variants are on the scene that are so much easier to spread, we get reservoirs of people that don’t have antibodies, and that’s why we got to get people vaccinated.”

I am in eternal awe of how politicians and CEOs can talk for hours and never say anything, but, were I a reporter, I would have to call the Governor out on her blatant contradiction in this quote. What she means, but can't say, is: "It was a policy problem. Our strict and strong protocols resulted in reservoirs of people that don't have antibodies."

Michigan became hotspot as variants rose and vigilance fell (clickondetroit.com)

ROYAL OAK, Mich. – Eric Gala passed up an opportunity to get a coronavirus vaccine when shots became available in Michigan, and he admits not taking the virus seriously enough.

Then he got sick with what he thought was the flu. He thought he would sweat it out and then feel back to normal.

Before long, the 63-year-old Detroit-area retiree was in a hospital hooked up to a machine to help him breathe. He had COVID-19.

“I was having more trouble breathing and they turned the oxygen up higher — that’s when I got scared and thought I wasn’t going to make it,” a visibly weary Gala told The Associated Press on Wednesday from his hospital bed at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, north of Detroit. “I had so many people tell me this was a fake disease.”...

Gov. Whitmer hints at possibility of easing Michigan COVID-19 restrictions (clickondetroit.com)

Tuesday’s update includes 3,676 new cases and 105 additional deaths

DETROIT – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is hinting at easing the state’s COVID-19 restrictions.

Her comments come as cases here in Michigan seem to have leveled off as the number of vaccinations goes up.

The governor mentioned the possibility that restrictions could be reduced as virus case numbers decrease...

Whitmer says COVID-19 policy changes could be coming soon (detroitnews.com)

Gov. Whitmer hints at possibility of easing Michigan COVID-19 restrictions (clickondetroit.com)

Tuesday’s update includes 3,676 new cases and 105 additional deaths

DETROIT – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is hinting at easing the state’s COVID-19 restrictions.

Her comments come as cases here in Michigan seem to have leveled off as the number of vaccinations goes up.

The governor mentioned the possibility that restrictions could be reduced as virus case numbers decrease...

Whitmer says COVID-19 policy changes could be coming soon (detroitnews.com)

Interesting. It seems like fear of losing one's job plays a big part in this, as we also see in California. Meanwhile. Washington and Oregon are ready to close up, again.

Whitmer plan ties lifting COVID-19 restrictions to vaccination rates (detroitnews.com)

Lansing — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced a key plan Thursday to tie the future of COVID-19 restrictions in Michigan to the percentage of residents who get their first dose of the coronavirus vaccine.

The Democratic governor described the "MI Vacc to Normal" plan as the state's way out of the pandemic, which has been tied to more than 17,400 deaths in Michigan and spurred limitations on gatherings and businesses for more than a year.

Under the new plan, the Whitmer administration will begin easing restrictions once 4.5 million residents, or 55% of the adult population, receive their first dose. Two weeks after that occurs, her administration will lift a requirement for remote work when it's feasible. The 55% threshold could be reached in the next seven to 10 days, Whitmer said. The change in policies would occur 14 days after that, potentially by the end of May.

“The MI Vacc to Normal challenge outlines steps we can take to emerge from this pandemic as we hit our vaccination targets together,” Whitmer said. “On our path to vaccinating 70% of Michiganders 16 and up, we can take steps to gradually get back to normal while keeping people safe...

Whitmer announces Michigan will ease specific COVID restrictions as 4 vaccination goals are reached (clickondetroit.com)

Vaccination thresholds will trigger loosening of certain restrictions

LANSING, Mich. – Michigan is outlining four specific vaccination goals that, once they are reached, will directly trigger the loosening of certain COVID-19 restrictions across the state, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer revealed...

Wow - so it's essentially "eat your broccoli and get a cookie?"

This would seem to validate my theory that our journey toward normalcy ended when Fauci said that vaccinated people have to keep masking and distancing. If I was a vaccine-hesitant Michgander (is that a word?) I would just plan regular trips to Indiana to experience life without restrictions. I wonder how she will walk this back when metrics improve, but vax percentage doesn't meet threshold. AZ has been very aggressive with vaccine distribution and messaging and we are only at 26% fully vaccinated. Interested in hearing how this is received.

Wow - so it's essentially "eat your broccoli and get a cookie?"

This would seem to validate my theory that our journey toward normalcy ended when Fauci said that vaccinated people have to keep masking and distancing. If I was a vaccine-hesitant Michgander (is that a word?) I would just plan regular trips to Indiana to experience life without restrictions. I wonder how she will walk this back when metrics improve, but vax percentage doesn't meet threshold. AZ has been very aggressive with vaccine distribution and messaging and we are only at 26% fully vaccinated. Interested in hearing how this is received.

I went to Catholic school where it was not uncommon for the entire class to be "punished" - i.e. denied outdoor recess - for the bad behavior of one student. The goal of the teacher (or Mother Superior) was to get classmates to rat out the student/s responsible for alleged wrongdoing. DH and I have both had our vaccinations because we don't take risks with our health and well-being. Yes, we would like to know that most Michiganders - yes, it's a word - would have the same concern for themselves and their loved ones, but we would not want the entire state "punished" because everyone doesn't choose to get vaccinated. I don't put much stock in readers' comments, but so far, it looks like most people don't see this new plan going over well.

I went to Catholic school where it was not uncommon for the entire class to be "punished" - i.e. denied outdoor recess - for the bad behavior of one student. The goal of the teacher (or Mother Superior) was to get classmates to rat out the student/s responsible for alleged wrongdoing. DH and I have both had our vaccinations because we don't take risks with our health and well-being. Yes, we would like to know that most Michiganders - yes, it's a word - would have the same concern for themselves and their loved ones, but we would not want the entire state "punished" because everyone doesn't choose to get vaccinated. I don't put much stock in readers' comments, but so far, it looks like most people don't see this new plan going over well.

There is a piece on NYT about DiBlasio wanting to fully reopen NYC on July 1. Comments are skeptical. There seems to be a dawning realization that places that have fully reopened have not experienced apocalyptic reversals, so whatever is keeping closed places closed, no longer has much to do with the original narrative.

EDIT: I just read Whitmer's twitter thread, about this. It will get ugly, quick, when the percentage vaccinated stalls short of any meaningful reopening. People that are vaxed are vexed that they are being held hostage by those that won't vax.

Last edited:
Whitmer plan ties lifting COVID-19 restrictions to vaccination rates (detroitnews.com)

Lansing — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced a key plan Thursday to tie the future of COVID-19 restrictions in Michigan to the percentage of residents who get their first dose of the coronavirus vaccine.

The Democratic governor described the "MI Vacc to Normal" plan as the state's way out of the pandemic, which has been tied to more than 17,400 deaths in Michigan and spurred limitations on gatherings and businesses for more than a year.

Under the new plan, the Whitmer administration will begin easing restrictions once 4.5 million residents, or 55% of the adult population, receive their first dose. Two weeks after that occurs, her administration will lift a requirement for remote work when it's feasible. The 55% threshold could be reached in the next seven to 10 days, Whitmer said. The change in policies would occur 14 days after that, potentially by the end of May.

“The MI Vacc to Normal challenge outlines steps we can take to emerge from this pandemic as we hit our vaccination targets together,” Whitmer said. “On our path to vaccinating 70% of Michiganders 16 and up, we can take steps to gradually get back to normal while keeping people safe...

Whitmer announces Michigan will ease specific COVID restrictions as 4 vaccination goals are reached (clickondetroit.com)

Vaccination thresholds will trigger loosening of certain restrictions

LANSING, Mich. – Michigan is outlining four specific vaccination goals that, once they are reached, will directly trigger the loosening of certain COVID-19 restrictions across the state, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer revealed...
IMHO this is a bad plan. So, tell me. If we don’t get to her designated numbers, we just remain restricted while states open around us?
Seriously, this has the possibility to backfire. I hope that we can reach a high lever of vaccination in MI but that said, if we don’t and we stall are we then to stay restricted and let our economy tank further?
What is her plan B if this fails??

There is a piece on NYT about DiBlasio wanting to fully reopen NYC on July 1. Comments are skeptical. There seems to be a dawning realization that places that have fully reopened have not experienced apocalyptic reversals, so whatever is keeping closed places closed, no longer has much to do with the original narrative.

EDIT: I just read Whitmer's twitter thread, about this. It will get ugly, quick, when the percentage vaccinated stalls short of any meaningful reopening. People that are vaxed are vexed that they are being held hostage by those that won't vax.
To be fair, I am fully vaccinated but if this plan falls short, I will not blame those that choose not to get vaccinated. I blame the governor for putting a childish plan in place. MOO and I am sure not a popular opinion. But my opinion nonetheless.

I went to Catholic school as well. Grades 1-12. I totally agree. While I hope people get vaccinated to protect themselves and others, tying it to opening/ restrictions is going to be a tough thing to sell. For both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. And if you tick off both sides, what is left?

I went to Catholic school as well. Grades 1-12. I totally agree. While I hope people get vaccinated to protect themselves and others, tying it to opening/ restrictions is going to be a tough thing to sell. For both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. And if you tick off both sides, what is left?

Me, too. I always blessed my parents for giving me and my siblings the opportunity for a parochial school education instead of attending public schools. That said, the nuns sometimes had strange methods of disciplining students for perceived bad behavior that often affected an entire class. When I read about the Governor's latest "plan", I likened it to the entire class being reprimanded and/or punished for the antics of one or two students. I don't think it would be fair to Michiganders to continue to have restrictions imposed on us due to Covid because some people choose not to get the vaccine.

Me, too. I always blessed my parents for giving me and my siblings the opportunity for a parochial school education instead of attending public schools. That said, the nuns sometimes had strange methods of disciplining students for perceived bad behavior that often affected an entire class. When I read about the Governor's latest "plan", I likened it to the entire class being reprimanded and/or punished for the antics of one or two students. I don't think it would be fair to Michiganders to continue to have restrictions imposed on us due to Covid because some people choose not to get the vaccine.

The pressure for her to not admit being "wrong" must be unfathomable. She came so close, with a couple of quotes about the lack of antibodies in portions of the MI population, that I thought she was going to be the first of the "draconian" governors to reverse course. The more I think about this new scheme, the more frustrated I would be, as a resident. I assume that an immediate uptick in percentage vaccinated will see this scheme adopted in other places. But what happens if it stalls?

The pressure for her to not admit being "wrong" must be unfathomable. She came so close, with a couple of quotes about the lack of antibodies in portions of the MI population, that I thought she was going to be the first of the "draconian" governors to reverse course. The more I think about this new scheme, the more frustrated I would be, as a resident. I assume that an immediate uptick in percentage vaccinated will see this scheme adopted in other places. But what happens if it stalls?
I see no Plan B for her. I guess maybe if vaccination stalls but Covid cases go way low, she will change course? I just see this as a no-win. The vaccinated folks are unhappy because they are “held hostage” and the folks that are against the vaccine are not likely to be bullied into it. Of course, I may be wrong as this is just an opinion.

How long will it take Michigan to reach a 70% vaccination rate? (clickondetroit.com)

Restrictions to be lifted based on vaccine rates

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer released a new plan to motivate Michiganders to get vaccinated against COVID to lift restrictions.

The plan has thresholds to reach: 55%, 60%, 65% and 70% vaccinated. Theoretically, how long will it take to reach those steps?

To answer that question Local 4 reached out to Dr. Patrick Nelson, the chairman of Lawrence Technological University’s Math and Computer Science Department...

I see no Plan B for her. I guess maybe if vaccination stalls but Covid cases go way low, she will change course? I just see this as a no-win. The vaccinated folks are unhappy because they are “held hostage” and the folks that are against the vaccine are not likely to be bullied into it. Of course, I may be wrong as this is just an opinion.

Get vaccinated, or else... There are already plenty of people who do not want the vaccine for a variety of reasons. I doubt that the "threat" of having to be vaccinated in order for Michigan to reopen will convince folks to get the shot/s if they aren't sold on it. I anticipate legal challenge/s to the Governor's latest "plan" to emerge from the pandemic and reopen Michigan.

On a positive note, DH and I went out to dinner on Wednesday night and were surprised by the number of people enjoying dinner out on a weekday at 5:30. There were many more cars in the parking lot than on our previous visits, and there were more diners in the restaurant than previously. I think this is an indication that many people are now fully vaccinated and feel more comfortable about going to restaurants. Masks are required when entering, leaving, or moving about the venue, and staff must wear masks at all times. Appropriate distancing is still prevalent in the various dining rooms, but patronage has definitely picked up in the last few weeks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back