CA CA - Newark "Mowry Ave Jane Doe" WhtFem UP53306 <40, Oct 85

Mowry Ave. Jane Doe resembles Mary Ann Mariz, missing from Sacramento in April, 1982. Some stats add up, others not.

Yeah, good catch. That pink ring and the watch are interesting. But if the Jane Doe was only dead six months as someone above posted, then it leaves a really big gap. Worth keeping in mind though.

NamUs has one exclusion listed:

Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs # MP11898Julianne Jaillet, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactJune 1, 1985
StateWA
CountyKing

Interesting. From the snippets in that video, I wonder if this Doe was an NPE? 'Nobody knew Jane Doe existed', and then the relative who said she couldn't believe it but DNA proved it. She could have been adopted and nobody in her birth mother or father's family knew she existed. She could have been born to a married couple but her biological father was someone else. She could have been swapped at birth, even. Sounds like it might be a wild story. I can't watch since I'm in the UK but I hope someone else will post about it.

Interesting. From the snippets in that video, I wonder if this Doe was an NPE? 'Nobody knew Jane Doe existed', and then the relative who said she couldn't believe it but DNA proved it. She could have been adopted and nobody in her birth mother or father's family knew she existed. She could have been born to a married couple but her biological father was someone else. She could have been swapped at birth, even. Sounds like it might be a wild story. I can't watch since I'm in the UK but I hope someone else will post about it.
The person they talked to is her half-sister (who was adopted and lives in Texas); their birth mother was from Missouri and it was confirmed by DNA. There is also a photo of the reconstruction with the half-sister's photo which look quite alike (I'm sure the report will be posted online shortly). They said that Jane Doe would be in her early 70s today, so likely born circa early 1950s to late 1940s and in her 30s when she was killed.

Unsolved Jane Doe murder case reopened using rootless hair DNA​

Old evidence and new technology is providing clues to help crack a decades-old cold case where both the killer and the victim have never been identified. In 1985, a woman, now called Jane Doe, was found shot and killed in the remote wetlands area off Mowry Avenue in Newark. To this day, no one knows who she is.

NEWARK, Calif. - Old evidence and new technology is providing clues to help crack a decades-old cold case where both the killer and the victim have never been identified.

In 1985, a woman, now called Jane Doe, was found shot and killed in the remote wetlands area off Mowry Avenue in Newark. Detectives said two hunters discovered the decomposed and nearly unrecognizable body and called police.

To this day, no one knows her name or who she is.

"Unfortunately, nobody knows or knew that Jane Doe existed," Detective Todd Nobbe said. "There was no identification, no purse found, nothing that would immediately give us a name."

Nobbe reopened the case a few years ago. While the woman’s body was cremated, Polaroid photos were taken of her skull along with a clump of rootless hair, both of which remained in the evidence file.

It first led the detective to Astrea Forensics in Santa Cruz where scientists now have the ability to break down and extract DNA from even the tiniest strands.

They say advanced computers are used to find patterns and sequence the DNA. And from there, profiles are built to create a sort of roadmap.

Those DNA profiles are then passed to genealogists who are tasked with trying to tie DNA matches to specific people.

Newark Police Department partnered with nonprofit DNA Doe Project, which builds and uses that genetic information to identify John and Jane Does.

"Our job is to build out their family trees and look for connections between those family trees," Cairenn Binder with DNA Doe Project said. "From there, we build back down the family tree to try to find a John or Jane Doe that is consistent with the age and location that we know our Doe to be from."

Volunteers have solved dozens of unidentified persons cases across the country using genetic genealogy. The same methods were used to find the Golden State Killer, uploading DNA to online tools that help pinpoint common segments of DNA leading to a specific ancestor.

"They helped lead me down that path of who the moth of our Jane Doe might be," Nobbe said.

However, that potential mother, Marian Marie Richardson, of a small town in Missouri near the Kansas border, is no longer living. Interviews with family members did not provide any connections to California. Instead, Nobbe said they pointed to a distant relative in Texas and a woman named Ruth Ellis, who may be related to Jane Doe.
more at link:

They know who the half sister and mother are. Half sister knows she is adopted but knew nothing of her sister. How difficult is it to find her adoption record or birth certificate? The half sister must have been very young not to have remembered a sibling in the home unless Jane Doe was given up before the known sister was born. Still this narrows down dates and numbers of records to search. They may be very close to finding who this Jane Doe is and having her name, and some real direction to go to investigate her death.

They know who the half sister and mother are. Half sister knows she is adopted but knew nothing of her sister. How difficult is it to find her adoption record or birth certificate? The half sister must have been very young not to have remembered a sibling in the home unless Jane Doe was given up before the known sister was born. Still this narrows down dates and numbers of records to search. They may be very close to finding who this Jane Doe is and having her name, and some real direction to go to investigate her death.
Her mother had 6 kids who are listed in her obituary (official source), giving that Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe was born in 40ies, she could have been her first kid (before the marriage even), the mother was in her teens when she gave birth to Jane Doe and her half-sister. That’s why her kids do no remember her. Her half-sister was is probably younger as well.

Also from the article, it sounds as it was a private adoption.

Her mother had 6 kids who are listed in her obituary (official source), giving that Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe was born in 40ies, she could have been her first kid (before the marriage even), the mother was in her teens when she gave birth to Jane Doe and her half-sister. That’s why her kids do no remember her. Her half-sister was is probably younger as well.

Also from the article, it sounds as it was a private adoption.
Okay, I just read published obit of mother. Interesting that she married at 18. What is strange is I kept thinking of twins reading this case but knew it wasn't possible for Jane Doe and a half sister to be twins. But lots of sets of twins in that family according to obit!! I did not really think of private adoption in reading above article.but anything is possible. I'm thinking though they must have the record of Jane Doe's birth given all the siblings and the mother's maiden and married names are given in obit. There must be some legal documentation somewhere of the adoption and it has to go through a court with jurisdiction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SAGEWITHRAGE
Back