Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/ask-covid-astrazeneca-genx-side-effect-1.6003923

"Aspirin, the painkiller acetylsalicylic acid (ASA), is also a type of blood thinner called an antiplatelet. It can interfere with your blood's clotting action. So wouldn't it help to take one before vaccination?

"The answer is NO," wrote Dr. Vera Dounaevskaia, director of the thromboembolism clinic at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto in an email to CBC News.

First, it's important to note that VITT is believed to be extremely rare, and is different from the blood's regular clotting mechanism and conditions like deep vein thrombosis."

Last edited:

An odd thing has happened in rural communities such that they view the pandemic as a city-people problem. First it was only sick old people that died, then only city people.

This is reality in the province of Alberta. It will get worse in the next 2-3 weeks.
  • The province continues to have the highest active case rate in Canada, with 508 active cases per 100,000 people — twice that of the next highest case rate of 252 in Ontario.
  • More Albertans in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s are in ICU with COVID-19 than ever before.
  • People admitted to ICU in recent weeks have been significantly younger than those admitted over the winter.
  • The latest R-value reported for the province was 1.04.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-covid-coronavirus-may-2-1.6011049

upload_2021-5-2_17-58-11.png

RPubs - Alberta R-Value

We need only remember the healthy 17 year old girl who died suddenly of covid last week. My understanding is that her older sister was sick first. That sister did not live at home, but she was at home and sick. Others in the family became ill. The sister who brought it to her family obviously did not expect that covid could kill healthy young people.

Early messaging is the problem. China did not announce that only sick old people got sick, that was early North American messaging.

I just remembered our silly scientific world that started looking for special "Asian" DNA markers that made Asians more likely to get sick and die of covid. What a brain-fart it was at the beginning of this global problem.

Summary? I've used up my free reads of that newspaper.

a few snippets:

That the vaccines are effective has never been more clear than in the success Ontario and Quebec have had reducing deaths in long-term care homes. The killing fields of the first and second pandemic waves now rarely see COVID-19 fatalities, thanks to an all-out effort to vaccinate residents and staff in January and February. Ontario recorded just four LTC resident deaths in April.

And now vaccines are rolling in. Almost two million arrived last week, and more are on the way in May: two million doses a week of Pfizer-BioNTech, at least one million Moderna shots, and possibly more Oxford-AstraZeneca.

All of this is beyond welcome. But while Canada is making progress against the pandemic, we have not yet beaten it. There are still many things that could go wrong.

Owing to the danger of new and unknown variants, the necessary measures include strong border screening – stronger than Ottawa is currently enforcing.

As for the provinces, they have to ensure that more shots are being focused on the hottest areas with the highest case counts. They also have to make sure that a shot is as easy as possible to get, so nobody has an excuse to avoid getting one.

Regarding the Canadian border, I think that Canadians expected that people with dual passports would choose a country and sit tight during the pandemic. Instead, it seems that those people with dual citizenship are freely and frequently flying around the world and bring variants into Canada.

Are Canadians with one passport mostly sitting tight? Is essential travel so loosely defined that in-person meetings, visiting hot zone families, and checking holiday property qualifies?

The only way to fix this problem is to tell everyone with dual citizenship that they have 2 weeks to decide whether they are Canadians first. If they want to be somewhere else, they should be required to stay there until the pandemic is gone.

Regarding the Canadian border, I think that Canadians expected that people with dual passports would choose a country and sit tight during the pandemic. Instead, it seems that those people with dual citizenship are freely and frequently flying around the world and bring variants into Canada.

Are Canadians with one passport mostly sitting tight? Is essential travel so loosely defined that in-person meetings, visiting hot zone families, and checking holiday property qualifies?

The only way to fix this problem is to tell everyone with dual citizenship that they have 2 weeks to decide whether they are Canadians first. If they want to be somewhere else, they should be required to stay there until the pandemic is gone.

The same laws have to apply to all Canadians, you can't have a law for some Canadians and then a different law for other Canadians, that would defeat the entire meaning of citizenship.

As you know, in the U.S. we have a travel ban right now for most non-U.S. citizens who have recently been in India - with the ban starting tomorrow, although it does not apply to U.S. citizens, and permanent residents.

However, in spite of the COVID-19 surge in India, the Biden administration has exempted international students and academic exchange visitors from the India travel ban. There were approximately 200,000 international students from India studying in the U.S. in 2019.

Canada, on the other hand, is looking at suspending entry of international students from India to the province of Ontario as it battles the surge. Perhaps this ban will be lifted by July and August when most international students would leave India for their studies in Canada - if the COVID-19 surge in Ontario is under control.

Personally, I am in favor of a travel ban for all non-citizens from India at this time, but I know that this would be a huge financial hit for universities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa