TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
GS, respectfully, the article you cited does not pertain to this case. Burglary and robbery are not the same thing. There is no evidence to suggest that anyone beside SP was in the building so MB did not interrupt a robbery. She may have interrupted a burglary. The manner in which burglary and robbery would escalate are very different.

"Burglary involves a person illegally entering a building in order to commit a crime while inside; robbery is generally when someone takes something of value directly from another person by the use of force or fear."

Robbery is a crime against a person while burglary is a crime against property. That's a huge distinction.

Also, we need to keep in mind, that for anyone to be able to react to a threat and to draw a holstered handgun, it would require app. 1.5 secs (and that's for a trained person) or the thread had to be at least 21 feet away. That's the 21 feet "rule".

The “21-Foot Rule” is a training mantra related to the theoretical time it would take an officer to recognize a threat, draw a sidearm, and fire two rounds center mass against an attacker charging with a knife or other stabbing weapon.

But it seems incredibly unlikely that it applied here. The 21' is the estimated distance that an attacker could run in 1.5 secs, while brandishing a weapon, and there is no reason to think MB had a weapon or was charging at the perp. As a result, there may have been no pressure on perp to shoot in a hurry - MB may have been moving in a leisurely stroll (or even slower, if carrying things), and may not have been moving in a direct line towards the perp until the shots were fired.

In addition, in the same way that MB is thought to have heard the perp, the perp could have easily heard MB as she unlocked and entered the doors, and pulled the gun at that point as a precaution. If the gun is in hand, it certainly changes the time constraints. Maybe the perp tried to hide out of sight, with gun in hand, and then MB kept coming towards them and saw them, and bam the reaction was "I have to defend myself, she saw me, she's right on me" and they start shooting.

In the burglary study I posted earlier in this thread which I don’t think anyone read, it talks about why burglars burgle. Very often they are in desperate situations. They’re unemployed. They may have an addiction where they are driven by a physical dependence to finance it. Often they are in need of hard cash. To this person, a rural good-sized church on a Sunday night right after offerings were made could be an attractive target.
Snipped and BBM

How many desperate offenders of this sort go to great lengths to disguise and protect themselves, though? Even when they plan to burglarize a remote location like a rural church in the wee hours of the morning on a weekday because they know the likelihood of running into someone is next to nil?

In addition, in the same way that MB is thought to have heard the perp, the perp could have easily heard MB as she unlocked and entered the doors, and pulled the gun at that point as a precaution. If the gun is in hand, it certainly changes the time constraints. Maybe the perp tried to hide out of sight, with gun in hand, and then MB kept coming towards them and saw them, and bam the reaction was "I have to defend myself, she saw me, she's right on me" and they start shooting.

snipped by me -

you paint a very vivid picture here of a likely scenario in my mind- one that I replay over in my head to try to put myself in SPs position. I can picture him hearing the door rattle open, maybe some noise at in the doorway as he draws his weapon and hides, hoping to get a chance to get away but he immediately hears fast-paced footsteps coming toward him, maybe even keys jangling in MB's hands (which could sound like a security guard or cop even) and she briskly heads down the hallway with purpose and at this point it's too late for flight and the weapon is already up and ready to fight.

I have mentioned this before but I walked in on a burglary of my own home alone one night. My back door was broken off the hinges, i had to step over the shattered wood frame of my threshold but I didn't even compute what was going on - I was so ANGRY my door was open that my attitude was like "what the hell is going on in here" and I marched right into my house and literally bumped into the guy. I was between him and his escape and he immediately started swinging his huge wrench at my head (he missed and i ran). Before he swung he had about 3 seconds standing around the corner hearing my boots on my hardwood floors marching in his direction and a half a second to start swinging when i came around the corner. He definitely didn't come to kill me - and he had been in/out of jail since adolescence so he knew assaulting me with a weapon took the whole situation up several levels but he still swung - in the moment he needed to get past me to stay out of jail.

One takeaway from my experience was that i was completely oblivious to the danger - I watch it back on my security footage and can't believe my body language - i was leaning forward, marching toward the danger as if I was annoyed. So clueless and unaware in the moment - even as my door is blown open it didn't occur to me that i was burgled. And I'm a woman who's been addicted to true crime since i saw unsolved mysteries in the 80s. I've got a house wired with cameras for pete's sake.

I could see MB not even noticing anything out of place, hearing something down the hall and thinking "what in the world", and marching with purpose to check it out - even in the dark, at a church by herself. Never in a million years thinking someone had a gun and was prepared to shoot.

All my own opinions and rambling stories...

GS, respectfully, the article you cited does not pertain to this case. Burglary and robbery are not the same thing. There is no evidence to suggest that anyone beside SP was in the building so MB did not interrupt a robbery. She may have interrupted a burglary. The manner in which burglary and robbery would escalate are very different.

"Burglary involves a person illegally entering a building in order to commit a crime while inside; robbery is generally when someone takes something of value directly from another person by the use of force or fear."

Robbery is a crime against a person while burglary is a crime against property. That's a huge distinction.
For all we know, Burglary became robbery when Missy showed up. And for all we know, SP may have demanded that Missy give him/her whatever she had of value. They might have demanded she take them out to her vehicle and she drew a line in the sand and wouldn’t go. We just don’t know.

That’s beside the point anyway. Textbook definitions of burglary vs robbery aren’t important. What is important is human behavior. The article I cited is a good example of how things can so easily go sideways during the course of a one on one confrontation while committing a crime. And the point of citing the article is to counteract your argument that if this were a burglary, any good responsible burglar would have just left, leaving Missy alive, and since that didn’t happen, this must not be a burglary and therefore SP must have targeted Missy and killed her intentionally.

Snipped and BBM

How many desperate offenders of this sort go to great lengths to disguise and protect themselves, though? Even when they plan to burglarize a remote location like a rural church in the wee hours of the morning on a weekday because they know the likelihood of running into someone is next to nil?
How do you know they went to great lengths? All of the stuff might have been sitting right there in a closet. And we have mentioned before the theory that the church might not have been the first option.

snipped by me -

you paint a very vivid picture here of a likely scenario in my mind- one that I replay over in my head to try to put myself in SPs position. I can picture him hearing the door rattle open, maybe some noise at in the doorway as he draws his weapon and hides, hoping to get a chance to get away but he immediately hears fast-paced footsteps coming toward him, maybe even keys jangling in MB's hands (which could sound like a security guard or cop even) and she briskly heads down the hallway with purpose and at this point it's too late for flight and the weapon is already up and ready to fight.

I have mentioned this before but I walked in on a burglary of my own home alone one night. My back door was broken off the hinges, i had to step over the shattered wood frame of my threshold but I didn't even compute what was going on - I was so ANGRY my door was open that my attitude was like "what the hell is going on in here" and I marched right into my house and literally bumped into the guy. I was between him and his escape and he immediately started swinging his huge wrench at my head (he missed and i ran). Before he swung he had about 3 seconds standing around the corner hearing my boots on my hardwood floors marching in his direction and a half a second to start swinging when i came around the corner. He definitely didn't come to kill me - and he had been in/out of jail since adolescence so he knew assaulting me with a weapon took the whole situation up several levels but he still swung - in the moment he needed to get past me to stay out of jail.

One takeaway from my experience was that i was completely oblivious to the danger - I watch it back on my security footage and can't believe my body language - i was leaning forward, marching toward the danger as if I was annoyed. So clueless and unaware in the moment - even as my door is blown open it didn't occur to me that i was burgled. And I'm a woman who's been addicted to true crime since i saw unsolved mysteries in the 80s. I've got a house wired with cameras for pete's sake.

I could see MB not even noticing anything out of place, hearing something down the hall and thinking "what in the world", and marching with purpose to check it out - even in the dark, at a church by herself. Never in a million years thinking someone had a gun and was prepared to shoot.

So you mean the guy didn’t ask you to freeze right there and wait while he pondered the ramifications of swinging vs not swinging? He didn’t look up some statutes so he could determine whether to bash your skull versus pushing you aside? So he actually acted instinctively, reflexively? Imagine that!

Glad you’re okay, by the way.

Thank you for sharing that! It's VERY helpful to hear, and sure does shed great light on how things can change when we go from the theoretical to "in the moment" with reactions and emotions taking over. I've only been the victim of people stealing stuff that I discovered later (breaking into cars to steal radio, radar detectors, sneaking into garage to steak bikes, breaking into backyard shed to steal mower and tools, stealing cars from the driveway at my house). Even without any physical confrontation in those, I recall vividly how violated I felt - my emotions were all askew and I was raw and edgy for weeks afterwards. It's hard to imagine how you must have felt, with the perp right there and it being in progress!

Glad it didn't become more consequential for you than the theft itself. Yay for that!

Did she have to see the broken glass on the floor all the way? (Meanwhile I'm totally :confused: re the hallways and compass direction.)

That's impossible for us to know. (LE likely has those answers though). We don't know where there was broken glass, nor where exactly she was killed. All we know for sure is where she entered the building into the huge foyer - at the SW corner of the building - and then we know she headed N up that westside foyer.

Here's a map of the church layout.
Dropbox - CREEKSIDELAYOUTWITHROOMNUMBERS.pdf - Simplify your life

GS, I never said that the this MUST be targeted. In fact, I very explicitly left open the option that it was an interrupted burglary gone wrong. What I said is that given what we know it is more likely that it is targeted than untargeted.

With respect to the robbery vs. burglary distinction, it is very important because it has a huge effect on the human behavior/reaction. When a person feels physically threatened/intimidated (as in the case of robbery), all bets are off. The self defense mechanism kicks in, and people are going to act in all sorts of unpredictable ways. Those types of situations are far more likely to get violent, even if that was not the intention at the outset. Crime against property is not the same thing. It's a huge violation, but it will not set up off the self defense mechanism in the same way (see Moslym3's story).

Moslym3, I am so sorry for your ordeal. I wanted to point out a few things. First, the burglar, even though he was blocked from his exit, did not KILL Moslym3. He swung his wrench at her in attempt to give him an escape route. Even with a prior history, he did not bludgeon her to death when she interrupted him. As I have said, killing someone is not a normal reflexive action to a property crime. If a person feels his life is in danger, all bets are off. If Moslym3's situation had been a crime against her person, she would have felt threatened... rather than continuing toward the source of the danger. Again, property and person crimes do not elicit the same behavioral response.

We can site all sort of studies, but they are only relevant in as much as they fit the facts of MB's case. Aside from murder, we have no evidence that there was any crime against a person, and whatever led to her death happened quickly. And it's rare that crimes committed solely against property elevate to to murder. Could MB be the exception? Sure. Is it likely? No.

Last edited:
According to the foot doctor who saw the Missy footage, she jerked her head as if she heard or saw something. That’s why she walked down the hallway.

This has always really puzzled me, it's a dark-ish church, MB is alone and hears a noise and goes towards it This shocks me because typically our instinct is to turn AWAY from whatever it is and wait for someone else to show to check it out with us. My thought has always been MB recognized a voice and wasn't in fear and that's why she went towards it. I could be totally wrong , but she had a gun in her truck, it's so hard for me to fathom she walked towards a sound/sight instead of turning and going back to her truck for the gun and then possibly checking it out. What was it that sent her TOWARDS it?

This has always really puzzled me, it's a dark-ish church, MB is alone and hears a noise and goes towards it This shocks me because typically our instinct is to turn AWAY from whatever it is and wait for someone else to show to check it out with us. My thought has always been MB recognized a voice and wasn't in fear and that's why she went towards it. I could be totally wrong , but she had a gun in her truck, it's so hard for me to fathom she walked towards a sound/sight instead of turning and going back to her truck for the gun and then possibly checking it out. What was it that sent her TOWARDS it?

Great question - in my scenario (and my biased imagination) she would have heard a "noise" and given the storm going on outside -and how ferocious storms in Texas can get- she thought a door blew open, or a large branch had crashed through a window and was causing a disturbance in the foyer....that type of thing. She was going to check out the situation - never imagining someone was seeking cover ready to shoot their way out.

Of course, if this was a targeted murder, what better way to lure her to you than be dressed as a police officer and calling her to come to your location. I personally just don't think this is what happened.
All my opinions.

I couldn't agree with you more! When people don't act as expected, we should ask ourselves what circumstances may have affected their behavior. There is a lot of "odd" behavior in the MB case, but there is one scenario where it all makes sense.

GS, I never said that the this MUST be targeted. In fact, I very explicitly left open the option that it was an interrupted burglary gone wrong. What I said is that given what we know it is more likely that it is targeted than untargeted.

With respect to the robbery vs. burglary distinction, it is very important because it has a huge effect on the human behavior/reaction. When a person feels physically threatened/intimidated (as in the case of robbery), all bets are off. The self defense mechanism kicks in, and people are going to act in all sorts of unpredictable ways. Those types of situations are far more likely to get violent, even if that was not the intention at the outset. Crime against property is not the same thing. It's a huge violation, but it will not set up off the self defense mechanism in the same way (see Moslym3's story).

Moslym3, I am so sorry for your ordeal. I wanted to point out a few things. First, the burglar, even though he was blocked from his exit, did not KILL Moslym3. He swung his wrench at her in attempt to give him an escape route. Even with a prior history, he did not bludgeon her to death when she interrupted him. As I have said, killing someone is not a normal reflexive action to a property crime. If a person feels his life is in danger, all bets are off. If Moslym3's situation had been a crime against her person, she would have felt threatened... rather than continuing toward the source of the danger. Again, property and person crimes do not elicit the same behavioral response.

We can site all sort of studies, but they are only relevant in as much as they fit the facts of MB's case. Aside from murder, we have no evidence that there was any crime against a person, and whatever led to her death happened quickly. And it's rare that crimes committed solely against property elevate to to murder. Could MB be the exception? Sure. Is it likely? No.
(First, I hope people realize that Peach and I are not arguing. This is thoughtful discussion. I’ve known Peach since the beginning of this case when I was Cannonball3804 and we have emailed about the case. So nothing but respect here, and Peach I hope that I speak for you on this.)

Peach, I think we can agree that you lean toward targeted and I lean toward untargeted. I think we both leave open the option that something could come up that sways us the other way. That is as it should be. All of us should always be questioning, always second-guessing what we think we know, always following the evidence where it leads and hopefully not twisting it to fit a theory we formed years ago. So we’re good there, we’re just on different sides right now in terms of the conclusions we are reaching.

With that said, in reply to your most recent comments, everything you’re saying about self defense mechanisms and behaving in unpredictable ways, I agree with. But it seems you’re making assumptions that if not targeted, this must either have been a burglary OR a robbery and not both; since no one was there when SP got there then it couldn’t have been a robbery and so we’re left with burglary, and the chances of a murder occurring during a burglary are low in your estimation and so that’s why you lean toward targeted. Let me know if I summed up your thoughts correctly or not.

But it isn’t an “either/or” between burglary and robbery necessarily. The burglar when confronted can become a robber. We see this happen with home invasions. Someone burglarizes a house they think is empty, but they’re wrong and now it’s a home invasion with forcible restraint, sometimes assault, sometimes worse. And you are right when you say, “when someone feels physically threatened / intimidated, all bets are off.” Don’t you think that it’s very likely one or both people felt threatened in that moment? So can’t we agree on “all bets are off”, period?

You’re right, people behave in unpredictable ways under stress. This situation was high stress regardless of what we think the motive was. You’ve got two people and at LEAST one if not both had no idea the other was going to be there. We don’t know how Missy is going to react. We don’t know how SP is going to react. We don’t know if SP has a past history of assault, such that they react in violence as naturally as breathing for them. We don’t know if maybe they never raised a hand to anyone in their life before this. We don’t know what SP’s “normal” reaction to stress is, much less what it is when surprised by someone while committing a crime.

We also do not know what the physical choreography of the encounter was. No idea if they saw each other from a distance, or if they each came around a corner and in an instant were a foot apart. Don’t know if they each blocked the other’s path. Don’t know if either or both of them recognized the other.

And to @moslym3’s story, the intruder swung and just so happened to miss. What if he had connected? A wrench to the head might kill in one blow. If they didn’t catch the guy and it was an unsolved murder, would you think it was targeted instead of untargeted due to the fact that he connected and the victim died? Are we going to let our overriding motive in a case hinge upon the perp’s aim?

I’m going to lay this down and let the debate continue. I just encourage people to truly keep options open because there have been so many for so long with a mindset of “100% targeted!”. I’m not speaking of you, Peach, just those who are so entrenched in their position that they’ve stopped considering anything that doesn’t fit what they already decided. And talking heads who get on podcasts and with limited or flawed knowledge of the case just jump right to targeted in their “expert” opinions.

I’ll sign off with this question for all. If this is so clearly a targeted event, then why in FIVE YEARS have police failed to come up with one single POI who rises to the level of “this is our suspect and we know they did it, we’re just gathering more evidence.” And don’t tell me that maybe they actually have, blah blah blah. I have enough inside knowledge of this case to know that isn’t the case. Not with BWH and not now, 4 plus years after BWH. With the FBI involved and multiple cold case investigator associations reviewing the case, why have they swung and missed on coming up with even one real suspect? My answer: because SP probably has zero connection to Missy, wasn’t there to kill her, and has told no one. Even the very best PD in the world can’t work with that.

Last edited:
GS, I agree with your categorization - no arguments but a lively discussion. And it's still hard for me not to refer to you as CB!

Here are my thoughts in a nutshell. If this was an untargeted murder, the crime did not start with the intention to rob or murder. If SP wanted to commit either of those crimes, he picked a terrible time and place to carry out his crime(s). For the sake of "argument," let's assume SP wanted to B&E or commit a burglary. Based on his known time in the building (at least 30 minutes), he doesn't seem to be in a hurry. He appears relaxed as he moves from room to room. He's clearly not looking to get in and out... there is no urgency. That leads me to assume that he is just enjoying the thrill of being where he's not supposed to be OR he is looking to steal something of smaller value (bank robbers do not hang out in banks for 30+ minutes). With that in mind, I would categorize his initial crimes on the less serious end.

However, he made the jump to murder, and even for serial criminals that is huge. But here's where I really get hung up. If it truly was a crime/murder of opportunity, what could have happened that would have allowed SP to make that jump? I cannot envision any likely scenario where a casual intruder becomes a cold-blooded killer (based on the known facts of THIS case). We know that SP was taller, bigger, and armed. It's seems highly unlikely that MB would go on the offensive, especially since she had a gun located in her vehicle. Some have mentioned that maybe SP was unintentionally blocked from his exit by MB, but in CCoC, there are three exits and wide hallways on the west side. SP would not have been limited to one exit. And if SP was not intending to rob or kill, why did he ultimately do so (unless acting in self defense, which I just don't think happened)? Why didn't he just incapacitate MB to allow himself to escape quickly? For people who are not inclined to kill, I can attest from my personal experience that the gravity of possibly taking another's life is still at the forefront of one's mind in the heat of the moment. And if SP is a person who was inclined to kill, I find it hard to believe he got his jollies from walking around an empty church. That could be the case, but it just does not seem likely.

I find your most compelling argument to be your last paragraph. When LE and the FBI investigate a person who has committed a crime, they will find evidence. Even the best criminals leave behind some evidence. Why is it that LE has not made an arrest for a targeted murder? I can see two potential reasons. First, the person guilty of this crime has not yet been fully investigated or vetted. MB was a social creature and had many contacts. Second, the initial handling of the crime was done so poorly that vital evidence was lost forever. I personally think it is a mixture of the two.

Last edited:
The “21-Foot Rule” is a training mantra related to the theoretical time it would take an officer to recognize a threat, draw a sidearm, and fire two rounds center mass against an attacker charging with a knife or other stabbing weapon.

But it seems incredibly unlikely that it applied here. The 21' is the estimated distance that an attacker could run in 1.5 secs, while brandishing a weapon, and there is no reason to think MB had a weapon or was charging at the perp. As a result, there may have been no pressure on perp to shoot in a hurry - MB may have been moving in a leisurely stroll (or even slower, if carrying things), and may not have been moving in a direct line towards the perp until the shots were fired.

I only mentioned the 21-Foot Rule in regards to Peach's post about an armed vs unarmed advantage. Should have clarified it. The advantage only stays regardless of distance, if the handgun is already drawn in anticipation of the threat, i.e. for example you enter our house and hear something. You draw your handgun just in case.

Your suggested scenario by the way, that SP in the church may have already drawn his gun is very possible. Who knows, perhaps he dropped the hammer as well, which caused a noise.

-Nin

NIN, if SP had time to draw his gun in anticipation of a confrontation, I feel that he would have used that time to flee... but only if he was not there to commit murder. JMO

For the record, I do believe SP's gun was drawn by the time he encountered MB.

Last edited:
Great question - in my scenario (and my biased imagination) she would have heard a "noise" and given the storm going on outside -and how ferocious storms in Texas can get- she thought a door blew open, or a large branch had crashed through a window and was causing a disturbance in the foyer....that type of thing. She was going to check out the situation - never imagining someone was seeking cover ready to shoot their way out.

Of course, if this was a targeted murder, what better way to lure her to you than be dressed as a police officer and calling her to come to your location. I personally just don't think this is what happened.
All my opinions.

Living where storms are the same here as in Texas, I get that thought also! But.....even still, I think about a BIG building, isn't fully lit and you know you are the only one there. Would you still go towards that sound or would you wait until you knew other people would be there then let them know you heard something weird and you all go together to check it out. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around the thought of a woman, alone in a building, going TO a sound, without having a big reason to. Maybe SP called out they were "hurt" and instinct took hold and MB went to them thinking another camper had snuck in and she didn't see them. Or did SP call out to her and she knew their voice. Or SP may have simply called "police" and MB stopped. All of that to say though.....if SP did call out, it's then in my mind targeted. Why didn't SP hide and make an escape once they knew someone was in the building.

I'm banking this all on GS's statement (and I remember you as CB!! Hi!) of the video. Otherwise I would think she rounded the corner and SP took her by surprise.

According to the foot doctor who saw the Missy footage, she jerked her head as if she heard or saw something. That’s why she walked down the hallway.

My guess is that SP KNEW that Missy would recognize her, thus the ridiculous unisex get-up. (Always makes me laugh, when I see SP because I'm reminded of "Pat" from SNL, lol.) jmo
NIN, if SP had time to draw his gun in anticipation of a confrontation, I feel that he would have used that time to flee... but only if he was not there to commit murder. JMO

For the record, I do believe SP's gun was drawn by the time he encountered MB.

Agree. And SP couldn't risk Missy's survival from a gunshot wound.....had to make sure that she was dead. Mission accomplished. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes