Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #55 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone remind me what assets Barry has liquidised and / or what financial gains have taken place since Suzanne’s disappearance? Or should we now say, murder.

Sale of IN property
Sale of PP property
Sale of land
profits

Has he bought the condo he’s living in? Or is he renting? I’m just trying to understand what sort of $$$ he has access to for his defence.

It’s a disgrace that someone can disappear/murder their spouse, liquidise assets in their name, and then do what they please with the money (until caught). I’m in the U.K., but I understand that this is normal in most states?

I really am toying between two separate motives/theories here. One is very similar to Chris Watts’ and the excitement of a new life. The other relates to Suzanne having “had enough” and making steps to leave. Regardless, both motives have a strong financial underpinning, motivated by greed, along with a huge amount of narcissism on B’s part. All of this and the below is JMO.

Theory 1 - The new life!

Middle aged man, perhaps going through a mid life crisis, but also plagued by narcissism and the need to be adored. Hangs around with a younger crowd, gym go-er, wants to stay relevant. Appearances are important - the house, the cars, the beautiful wife and children, but it all became boring for him eventually. He wanted more. He wanted excitement that a new life could bring. He sought out that new life, perhaps found a new woman who adored him, perhaps one who idolised him, who put him on a pedestal and it made him feel good. Suzanne loved him, but it was too comfortable. She also saw the worst sides of him, and he didn’t like people knowing about those aspects of his character. Narcissists hate it when they are exposed. Suzanne’s recent C diagnosis set the wheels in motion. He left the relationship emotionally, not that he needed that as an excuse because he was morally lacking anyway. Suzanne recovered, and this messed up his plan(s) for his new life. He couldn’t leave her, there was too much at stake and he would lose everything. So, in order to have what he wanted, Suzanne needed to disappear. He set the wheels in motion. He could have everything they owned, plus his new life, if she were no longer around.

Theory 2 - Suzanne was ready to leave

After years of control, potentially abuse (perhaps psychologically, not necessary physically), Suzanne saw the light, took back control, and made plans to leave him. I only suggest the control and abuse based on reports from those who knew Barry suggesting that he was aggressive and controlling. He moved her away from everything and everyone she knew. Control. Isolation. I also reach my own conclusions about abuse from the photographs I’ve seen of B&S together. Yes she looks happy, but he looks like a “my way or the highway” type of character. I’m not for one second suggesting that Suzanne was meek and mild, but a loving wife and mother who wanted to keep everyone happy, until she realised she wasn’t happy.

Discussions had taken place ref a separation, it wouldn’t have ended well for Barry financially, so he wouldn’t let it happen. Suzanne would to move back to IN in this scenario, the IN house sale hadn’t been finalised so that worked in her favour, and she would block the sale. Regardless, a separation wouldn’t end well for Barry, they discussed lots of possible scenarios, and he wasn’t happy with any of them. He would lose everything. The beautiful family, the beautiful doting wife, the house, the cars. Essentially everything that allowed him to give off the impression of the perfect life. Everything that made him feel powerful. The only way to not lose these things, would be if Suzanne were to disappear.

In both scenarios, Barry was to gain from Suzanne’s disappearance. Plans were made, people were conveniently not around that weekend, flaky alibis were set up, and he made sure that Suzanne would no longer be a barrier to the life he wanted.

Referring back to his use of control, I think he strangled her. I think he (I’m sorry to say this) needed her body to be easy to dispose of so he dismembered her in the home (Andy M suggested that bleach had been smelt at the PP home and we know about the H Inn). I think she lay dead when he was at the work site Saturday morning, or parts of her anyway, when MG suggested that his behaviour was “off” and he sent her home early, because he knew what he had to get home to take care of business.

How he disposed of her I don’t know, but I feel that he did so across various locations, using his machinery, hence why the dogs picked up multiple scents in multiple locations.

What next? Well, my new life starts now! Gotta sell the IN home! Gotta sell the PP home after I manipulate my daughters in to no longer wanting to live there! Gotta sell the land. Let’s free up some assets and build a new life! A new girlfriend who may or may not have been in the picture romantically before Suzanne disappeared Video shows moment husband is arrested for murdering missing mom Suzanne Morphew | Daily Mail Online and essentially, the life which motivated him to do what he did in the first place.

Now? In custody. Will lose everything. The life he used to want. The life he no longer wanted. The life he came to want. Gone!

I hope it was all worth it Barry! And this is why I prefer cats to humans :(

I always want to ask these perps, was it really worth it? Thing is though, the type of person who would commit this type of crime usually believes they are smarter than
everybody else, including the police, and truly believe they have committed the perfect crime. They really believe they are not going to get caught: most get caught, some don't, but those cases don't become known crimes, because they perp did get away with it.

Imo, it comes as no surprise that this murder was premeditated. I've always believed it was planned with much thought and way in advance, possibly of them even moving to Colorado, where Suzanne became totally isolated from her loved ones. All the coincidences never sat right with me: Suzanne being all alone on Mother's Day, girls out of town, no cams, poor Wifi and cell service, Barry out of town, etc. I truly believe something went south for ole Barry during that Mother's Day weekend that screwed up his pre-planned alibi, and caused everything to become messy, and he was in full panic mode when he gathered his workers for the Broomfield job. Maybe he did have a fire training course that weekend, and it got cancelled suddenly due to Covid, or maybe the girls decided to head back to Salida earlier than scheduled. Whatever it was, I do hope we will one day have the answers to this puzzling case. That arrest warrant cannot come fast enough, I tell ya. (I think you ALL know).

FYI: I dreamed about Barry and the girls last night. We were in a house together, and I knew he was a murderer. We were playing games like Ring around the Rosie (kinda), and all the while I was thinking, is this man gonna flip and kill us? Lol. Hopefully, my Barry dreams are coming to a close.

From the Daily Mail, photos of Barry and his "friend," out living their best life getting some Mexican food. :rolleyes: Not anymore, Bear Bare. Not anymore. We were never going to let you just kill your sweet wife and move on like she was garbage. Nope. Not on our watch. :(
Thanks for posting! I hadn't seen that yet. She certainly appears to be a bit younger. What in the world did she possibly see in that idiot? JMO

Imo, it comes as no surprise that this murder was premeditated. I've always believed it was planned with much thought and way in advance, possibly of them even moving to Colorado, where Suzanne became totally isolated from her loved ones. All the coincidences never sat right with me: Suzanne being all alone on Mother's Day, girls out of town, no cams, poor Wifi and cell service, Barry out of town, etc. I truly believe something went south for ole Barry during that Mother's Day weekend that screwed up his pre-planned alibi, and caused everything to become messy, and he was in full panic mode when he gathered his workers for the Broomfield job. Maybe he did have a fire training course that weekend, and it got cancelled suddenly due to Covid, or maybe the girls decided to head back to Salida earlier than scheduled. Whatever it was, I do hope we will one day have the answers to this puzzling case. That arrest warrant cannot come fast enough, I tell ya. (I think you ALL know).

FYI: I dreamed about Barry and the girls last night. We were in a house together, and I knew he was a murderer. We were playing games like Ring around the Rosie (kinda), and all the while I was thinking, is this man gonna flip and kill us? Lol. Hopefully, my Barry dreams are coming to a close.

From the Daily Mail, photos of Barry and his "friend," out living their best life getting some Mexican food. :rolleyes: Not anymore, Bear Bare. Not anymore. We were never going to let you just kill your sweet wife and move on like she was garbage. Nope. Not on our watch. :(

I like how he doesn't hold the door for her (1st photo), walks several feet in front of her (2nd photo), and doesn't appear to be going to her side of the truck to open the door for her (3rd photo). What a gentleman.

Things I am waiting to find out:
  • LE's analysis of the bike scene - photographs, print casts, laser scans.
  • LE's reaction regarding the cat attack comments - what was the "over coffee and donuts" discussion at the station?
  • LE's notes regarding BM's comments about LE messing up the "evidence" - what was the "evidence" and did they think it was planted.
  • LE's analysis of the hotel scene - was it a scene or a red herring?
  • Statements made by BM's workers - did someone talk?
  • What's the story behind searching through the trash can, was it an attempt to recover potential evidence?
  • Who BM attempted to influence.
  • What LE was looking for (and found) at the sites carefully searched and processed.
  • Cell Phone and Computer forensic analysis.
  • How early in the case did LE know that BM's statements were fabricated POO.
  • Were there any willing or unwitting associates.
  • Where is Suzanne?
  • Where were we (WS) spot on and where did we get off track?
All Ya'll done good. Some part of me hopes that BM or his friends snooped in here and what we were discussing kept BM awake at night and contributed to that haggard look he now sports.

I also hope that a little mercy is extended to those of us currently absent. Passion to solve a case sometimes causes one to push the envelope in an attempt to seek justice. Frustration sometimes get control of even the best of us, notably when no disrespect or putting the website at legal risk is intended. I have personally deleted more than a few posts before I hit "Post Reply". If you find yourself having to do that often, read below.

To those of you who get frustrated reading these cases because you feel you can't do anything to bring the actor to justice or find the missing person, go find your local volunteer SAR team. They need you, even if all you can do is hand out water, man a base radio or coordinate resources (ICS). You are not only reading about a case, you are "boots on the ground" helping to solve it. There is a ton of satisfaction in having a hand in putting a case to bed. Some LE departments have even volunteer cold case reviewers offering an option for those unable to get around much, but have a keen eye for details.

Bless you all.
Well said, @Trackergd.

I'd add to the list what, exactly, LE has that leads them to a "with deliberation" murder charge? And what are the details around the "attempting to influence a public official" charge?

Good morning everyone. I feel like I have a slight hangover today not from drinking but from staying up most of the night listening to podcasts and reading. I couldn’t shut my brain off from thinking about yesterday’s events. I’m very anxious for us to get our hands on the arrest affidavit, all in good time!

Praying today BM’s attorney will talk the perp into divulging the fate and location of SM, sparing his daughters and SMs family from a horrendous trial, even if it’s for a lighter eventual sentence. I’m sure that won’t happen, but a girl can dream! All MOO
Thank all who have stuck around during this past year trying to figure all of this out. The support is so nice to have.

There have been very few leaks in this. Wondering what evidence they have that they think will prove guilt.
SO tight and leakproof. Props for that.

@Hannah3105 as to theory1 - the gym and his new hairdo certainly point to that - that's been my thought as well. But I would also think that in a town that small there'd be a rumor or a sighting.

Edit - fast moving. OOPS just saw @swedeheart 's photos - well there you go!

Can someone remind me what assets Barry has liquidised and / or what financial gains have taken place since Suzanne’s disappearance? Or should we now say, murder.

Sale of IN property
Sale of PP property
Sale of land
*** profits

Has he bought the condo he’s living in? Or is he renting? I’m just trying to understand what sort of $$$ he has access to for his defence.

It’s a disgrace that someone can disappear/murder their spouse, liquidise assets in their name, and then do what they please with the money (until caught). I’m in the U.K., but I understand that this is normal in most states?
When considering the Indiana property, note that there was a late INCREASE in sales price before that deal finally closed 7/8/2020. While the price (which was initially $980,000 at original listing) had been decreased to $750,000 by the time the Land Contract was entered 15 months after original listing, it rose again to $904,625 (according to Realtor.com) before the deal in which ownership transferred was closed.

RE taxes on that property were due the DAY AFTER Suzanne was reported missing, but they were allowed to go delinquent a full 56 days before they were paid. That is, neither the parties to the Land Contract nor BM were willing to pay them until that final deal was closed. That indicates to me there was a dispute between the parties. I don't know, but I'm guessing BM insisted on renegotiating closing price.

The deal finally closed and those RE taxes were paid 7/6/2020, a full month after BM gained guardianship and the same day he filed an inventory for the Court in relation to guardianship.

Barry had a history of going to the Salida area for hunting trips well before they moved in 2018.

Based on what we know about BM, the move to CO seems like it would be 100% in his own interests with no thoughts given whatsoever about SM.
While I certainly don't have insight into their private conversations or motivations, my DW had a conversation with BM and SM a couple of years before 2018 where they both expressed their long-term plan to move to CO. While BM loved CO for the hunting, SM did love the outdoors and seemed (at the time) to be excited about a move.
I do think it's very possible (and maybe even probable) that something changed - either before or after they moved. (When SM got sick again, did she not want to go but BM insisted?; Once SM recovered, did she have a change of heart and wanted out of the marriage and/or to move back to IN?) It's hard to know for certain, but I would imagine some details will come out in trial as this likely will relate back to motive, IMO. JMO.

When considering the Indiana property, note that there was a late INCREASE in sales price before that deal finally closed 7/8/2020. While the price (which was initially $980,000 at original listing) had been decreased to $750,000 by the time the Land Contract was entered 15 months after original listing, it rose again to $904,625 (according to Realtor.com) before the deal in which ownership transferred was closed.

RE taxes on that property were due the DAY AFTER Suzanne was reported missing, but they were allowed to go delinquent a full 56 days before they were paid. That is, neither the parties to the Land Contract nor BM were willing to pay them until that final deal was closed. That indicates to me there was a dispute between the parties. I don't know, but I'm guessing BM insisted on renegotiating closing price.

The deal finally closed and those RE taxes were paid 7/6/2020, a full month after BM gained guardianship and the same day he filed an inventory for the Court in relation to guardianship.

I know nothing about taxes and I'm sure someone with more real estate experience than me will chime in, but I was under contract for a house that needed certain repairs (identified during the inspection) done before we would take the house. The sellers were willing to do the (big) repairs and the price of the house would go up accordingly. So I don't think it's too crazy if things came up during the inspection?

1 week and 1 day before SM was reported missing, BM took out a covid related small business payroll loan.

Barry’s Sunset Farms LLc qualified for a paycheck protection loan on 5/2/20.

Sunset Farms LLC in Salida, CO - SBA PPP Loan Data (Paycheck Protection Program)

The interesting thing was this:

Based on standard PPP eligibility rules, Sunset Farms LLC's total 2019 payroll expenses were approximately $257,976 in order to qualify for the PPP loan amount received.

Based on their reported 9 jobs retained, this equals an estimated average yearly compensation of $28,664 per employee

Did Barry really have 9 people working for him and making ~$30k/yr? I wonder who the employee were? Was Suzanne on the payroll?

Sale of IN property
Sale of PP property
Sale of land
*** profits

Thank you for the excellent post @Hannah3105.
I had the same thoughts running through my head all night. I so hope @oviedo will come back and post regarding the guardianship that was granted. She’s an expert in that area.

1. Who can petition the courts regarding freezing BM’s assets acquired through the sale of the 2 properties that were also SMs assets as well. Can the oldest daughter?
2. Do Suzanne’s siblings have any recourse regarding the guardianship granted in Indiana since the oldest daughter waived her right to be guardian over her mother’s assets, therefore allowing BM being appointed?
3. Wouldn’t a judge want to be made aware that a person granted a guardianship is now the accused murderer of the subject of the guardianship?
Anyone???
MOO I hope SMs family reads the posts here and something can be done to stop this perp from spending SM’s inheritance on a HUGE self-defense ongoing spending spree.

Last edited:
1 week and 1 day before SM was reported missing, BM took out a covid related small business payroll loan.

Sunset Farms LLC in Salida, CO - SBA PPP Loan Data (Paycheck Protection Program)

Based on standard PPP eligibility rules, Sunset Farms LLC's total 2019 payroll expenses were approximately $257,976 in order to qualify for the PPP loan amount received.

Based on their reported 9 jobs retained, this equals an estimated average yearly compensation of $28,664 per employee

Did Barry really have 9 people working for him and making ~$30k/yr? I wonder who the employee were? Was Suzanne on the payroll?

With the amount of fraud currently being prosecuted related to the PPP program it feels like it was just a honey-pot for dishonest business owners. I think it's likely he just lied and took out money for himself based on *gestures wildly*. These loans were not really investigated at the time they were made because they are backstopped by the feds. Banks were pressured to just give out as much as they could to keep people employed.

OT but there was a recent case in Boston where a pizza shop owner took out $600k, sold his pizza place, and used the money to buy an alpaca farm in Vermont. Maybe the alpacas needed jobs?

While I certainly don't have insight into their private conversations or motivations, my DW had a conversation with BM and SM a couple of years before 2018 where they both expressed their long-term plan to move to CO. While BM loved CO for the hunting, SM did love the outdoors and seemed (at the time) to be excited about a move.
I do think it's very possible (and maybe even probable) that something changed - either before or after they moved. (When SM got sick again, did she not want to go but BM insisted?; Once SM recovered, did she have a change of heart and wanted out of the marriage and/or to move back to IN?) It's hard to know for certain, but I would imagine some details will come out in trial as this likely will relate back to motive, IMO. JMO.
Thank you for the personal perspective and your wife’s knowledge. It’s good to have this kind of input.

o_O

Wow - excellent sleuthing! He would have had to have 9 people working for him, continuously, in order to achieve these figures, yes? My understanding is that, like most companies of a similar nature, work is very much seasonal and as hoc. Interesting o_O

WOW! That’s another $53,000 to add to ole Barry’s self-defense fund! Why do I not think the company had 9 full time employees making $28k+ annually? Of course I suppose that could be averaged out, with BM earning a huge salary personally and the balance paid out to “contract-type” workers. Btw, BM now has $53,000 of our tax dollars in his bank account. That p*sses me off a little!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member