Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #55 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how he doesn't hold the door for her (1st photo), walks several feet in front of her (2nd photo), and doesn't appear to be going to her side of the truck to open the door for her (3rd photo). What a gentleman.
Yes, I noticed the walking steps ahead, no door holding, etc immediately too! Who in their right mind dates a guy who’s wife of 25 years mysteriously disappears and the husband doesn’t give a hoot about finding her? UGH MOO

Thanks for posting! I hadn't seen that yet. She certainly appears to be a bit younger. What in the world did she possibly see in that idiot? JMO

Barry Morphew was the Big Man on Campus at their high school. He was a baseball star who became the first person from their hometown to head for the major leagues.

He was a local celebrity, so to speak. He only made it to the minor leagues, but still, that made him enough of a celebrity that it was fairly easy for him to start a local business - you know, like John Ellway did, only on a much smaller scale.

His youthful pictures show a guy who conforms to the standards of television handsomeness - back then, and Suzanne was beautiful and very young. They are a bit younger than me - but it was Indiana and in that world, people started expecting girls to "settle down" and at least have an engagement ring by 19. They must have seemed the perfect high school sweethearts.

IIRC, she began dating him when she was 15.

I'm trying to catch up on this case on my own without asking the same old questions over and over and I was reading this article Missing Mom: Suzanne Morphew’s Brother Starts Independent Search With 100 Volunteers – CBS Denver (cbslocal.com) and Cathy Amenta, a friend of Morphew’s from Colorado, says “I saw her on the last day of her treatment back last year and she just was a ray of sunshine and she loved her daughters so much. Her daughters were always with her at treatment and they were just like the three amigos,” she said. "
That is heartbreaking, just thinking of those girls and also thinking of my relationship with my own mom and unimaginable that my dad would ever hurt my mom. :(

Can someone remind me what assets Barry has liquidised and / or what financial gains have taken place since Suzanne’s disappearance? Or should we now say, murder.

Sale of IN property
Sale of PP property
Sale of land
*** profits

Has he bought the condo he’s living in? Or is he renting? I’m just trying to understand what sort of $$$ he has access to for his defence.

It’s a disgrace that someone can disappear/murder their spouse, liquidise assets in their name, and then do what they please with the money (until caught). I’m in the U.K., but I understand that this is normal in most states?

I believe your itemization is correct except the couple's former IN residence was sold on a contract a year in advance of SM's death where the installment contract wasn't scheduled to complete until June 2020 -- requiring BM to petition for Guardianship of SM to sign the paperwork at closing (jointly-owned property).

The Guardianship requirement was extreme -- given most couples in a 20+ year marriage typically have durable powers of attorney for each other for such events. Public records indicate that SM had a history of providing BM limited POA where his authority limited to a specific real estate transaction. The Guardianship powers proved valuable to BM -- enabling him to sell their Colorado jointly owned residence with BM acting on her behalf.

The ownership of the condo where BM was last living is unknown.

MOO

Barry Morphew was the Big Man on Campus at their high school. He was a baseball star who became the first person from their hometown to head for the major leagues.

He was a local celebrity, so to speak. He only made it to the minor leagues, but still, that made him enough of a celebrity that it was fairly easy for him to start a local business - you know, like John Ellway did, only on a much smaller scale.

His youthful pictures show a guy who conforms to the standards of television handsomeness - back then, and Suzanne was beautiful and very young. They are a bit younger than me - but it was Indiana and in that world, people started expecting girls to "settle down" and at least have an engagement ring by 19. They must have seemed the perfect high school sweethearts.

which makes me wonder what changed. then I saw the pics someone posted of his new "friend".... ughh. Was she the motive to kill?

Imo, it comes as no surprise that this murder was premeditated. I've always believed it was planned with much thought and way in advance, possibly of them even moving to Colorado, where Suzanne became totally isolated from her loved ones. All the coincidences never sat right with me: Suzanne being all alone on Mother's Day, girls out of town, no cams, poor Wifi and cell service, Barry out of town, etc. I truly believe something went south for ole Barry during that Mother's Day weekend that screwed up his pre-planned alibi, and caused everything to become messy, and he was in full panic mode when he gathered his workers for the Broomfield job. Maybe he did have a fire training course that weekend, and it got cancelled suddenly due to Covid, or maybe the girls decided to head back to Salida earlier than scheduled. Whatever it was, I do hope we will one day have the answers to this puzzling case. That arrest warrant cannot come fast enough, I tell ya. (I think you ALL know).

FYI: I dreamed about Barry and the girls last night. We were in a house together, and I knew he was a murderer. We were playing games like Ring around the Rosie (kinda), and all the while I was thinking, is this man gonna flip and kill us? Lol. Hopefully, my Barry dreams are coming to a close.

From the Daily Mail, photos of Barry and his "friend," out living their best life getting some Mexican food. :rolleyes: Not anymore, Bear Bare. Not anymore. We were never going to let you just kill your sweet wife and move on like she was garbage. Nope. Not on our watch. :(
I am in total agreement with you. I think that it was planned before the move to Colorado. I believe that Barry was familiar with Salida (hunting trips?) and thought that would be a good, isolated place, isolating SM from family and friends.

Wasn't Barry clever in getting Suzanne to put her inheritance money into the PP home? That way, the money was now marital property. He knew that he would get it when the house was sold (because his wife would be gone by then).

The canceling of the FF training is a good thought. I don't believe that it was paid for by the Station or required for Barry because he was a volunteer (not paid to be a FF).

I think that it was planned for that weekend because Barry knew the kids would be away and Suzanne would be isolated. He may have learned that the course was canceled at the last minute. Then, he did have to scramble for a new alibi, hence, the rush to "do the wall job" for which he didn't even have a permit, IIRC.

Barry wanted out, IMO, but didn't want to give up all of Suzanne's money. Her money made Barry feel like a big shot and allowed him to do whatever he wanted to do.

I sure hope that that LE has it laid out step by step as to how it happened. I want him to spend the rest of his miserable, greedy life in prison, thinking about what it would be like to be free had he only split the money with Suzanne and done what was fair.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

JMO.

Last edited:
WOW! That’s another $53,000 to add to ole Barry’s self-defense fund! Why do I not think the company had 9 full time employees making $28k+ annually? Of course I suppose that could be averaged out, with BM earning a huge salary personally and the balance paid out to “contract-type” workers. Btw, BM now has $53,000 of our tax dollars in his bank account. That p*sses me off a little!

The sole owner of a LLC is not able to pay themselves via payroll/wages, fwiw.

It does seem like just another Avenue for BM to get his hands on cash. Between this and the various real estate transactions, IMO BM had an urgent need for cash. His financial records will be very, very interesting.

Personally, I don’t think he was saving up for a defense fund. I get the feeling there were major financial pressures caving in on him, and perhaps SM planning to leave and take her 1/2 would have made it impossible for him to pay off debt.

Yes, I noticed the walking steps ahead, no door holding, etc immediately too! Who in their right mind dates a guy who’s wife of 25 years mysteriously disappears and the husband doesn’t give a hoot about finding her? UGH MOO

His lack of courtesy, especially in a man his age who has tried so hard to put up a certain kind of image of himself, is indeed notable - good catch.

It's one of those ways of "negging" that certain groups of men encourage these days - and by that, I mean actively discuss.

I agree with your assessment on Barry and Suzanne, however, I was referring to the pics posted with his new lady friend. I think she appears to be younger than both Barry and Suzanne!

Imo, it comes as no surprise that this murder was premeditated. I've always believed it was planned with much thought and way in advance, possibly of them even moving to Colorado, where Suzanne became totally isolated from her loved ones. All the coincidences never sat right with me: Suzanne being all alone on Mother's Day, girls out of town, no cams, poor Wifi and cell service, Barry out of town, etc. I truly believe something went south for ole Barry during that Mother's Day weekend that screwed up his pre-planned alibi, and caused everything to become messy, and he was in full panic mode when he gathered his workers for the Broomfield job. Maybe he did have a fire training course that weekend, and it got cancelled suddenly due to Covid, or maybe the girls decided to head back to Salida earlier than scheduled. Whatever it was, I do hope we will one day have the answers to this puzzling case. That arrest warrant cannot come fast enough, I tell ya. (I think you ALL know).

FYI: I dreamed about Barry and the girls last night. We were in a house together, and I knew he was a murderer. We were playing games like Ring around the Rosie (kinda), and all the while I was thinking, is this man gonna flip and kill us? Lol. Hopefully, my Barry dreams are coming to a close.

From the Daily Mail, photos of Barry and his "friend," out living their best life getting some Mexican food. :rolleyes: Not anymore, Bear Bare. Not anymore. We were never going to let you just kill your sweet wife and move on like she was garbage. Nope. Not on our watch. :(

You make so many good points. I believe that men like Barry do not have much conscious awareness of how they are progressing toward more and more control and abuse, and then, finally, actions that they never truly expected to employ. They fantasize about harming their wives (not women in general) only in the heat of the moment, then they "repent.' I count those fantasies as pre-meditation.

All the hallmarks of the increasingly controlling husband are all over this case - and trying to control someone you love, through physical intimidation, financial and other manipulation, and with the underlying threat of physical violence (even if it rarely occurs)...is abuse.

He isolated her, used her illness to isolate her further, had each and every day to go off and do as he pleased, used up her money, and, I believe, flirted and had at least emotional affairs (probably way more than that). His accusations of everyone in his crew being "meth heads" is probably projection.

Meanwhile, Suzanne focused on her own health and well-being, reading various self-help books and relying on her spirituality to carry her through, and her love for Barry and her daughters. Her endless forgiveness of him made it possible for him to spiral completely out of control. IMO.

I also find the non profit fascinating. It’s named after SM but BM is the listed officer to send all correspondence too. There are very little assets accounted for and 990s were not required as they claimed less than 25k income per year via the non profit.

Suzanne R Morphew Hope Foundation Inc - 501C3 Nonprofit - Salida, CO - 462059221

Why have a non profit with the stated goa of helping children around the world and do literally nothing with it?

And it had no notable activity while in IN, so why dissolve it and restart it in CO in order to continue to do nothing?

Last edited:
A week ago, I thought of this case for the first time in a long time. I sighed to myself and thought, "it's been a year, he got away with it".

Then the news broke and all I can say is 'wow'.

eta: my heart goes out to the two daughters. First their mother, now this - just when they might have been starting to find some stability.

COURT TV episode last night 12:30sec length, Vinci’s Politan had Mike & Chris from @ProfilingEvil on to discuss arrest of BM. Chris stated BM had a large trailer parked in front of his condo on Tuesday night, looked like BM was getting ready to make a major move, speculated maybe the reason BM was arrested at this time!!

I am not crucifying the supposed girlfriend just because she associated with Barry. Women have to make a living too-maybe all of these real estate transactions added up to a tidy profit for her. If he had a male realtor, would we automatically assume they were in a relationship? MG got run out of town because she worked for Barry.

In regard to the PPP loan, can it be granted even though workers are actually paid as contract workers? I don’t get the finer points of qualifying. I think that every angle of every transaction that this guy made should be investigated fully. Charge him for every bad deed he has committed.

Until the facts of this case are laid out, I don’t think the minds of family and friends are going to be changed. I hope some of those people have learned enough along the course of this investigation that they embrace the truth of who Barry really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member