CA CA - Westlake Village, HispFem 18-30, UP11249, pregnant, in parking lot, Jul'80

DNA Doe Project Case Update: Ventura County Jane Doe - Westlake Village, California (1980)

We have been diligently working on this case for over two years. Due to the lack of close matches and endogamy in the ancestral trees of her DNA cousins and complications related to tracing the migration of persons from Mexico to the United States we still haven’t identified her immediate family.

Our team has had some success in identifying common ancestors between Ventura County Jane Doe, and her DNA cousins. Although we have found connections, and possible surnames and geographic locations of interest, these DNA cousins are very distant, and therefore we still haven’t been able to reach her identity. This is where you can help! Please Share and upload and opt-in at GEDmatch.com and FTDNA.

Our previous update on this case focused on the following five regions of interest, from where different lines of her ancestry originate:
* Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (The Mexican states of Coahuila, Tamaulipas, and Nuevo Leon)
*Central Mexico (The Mexican States of Zacatecas, Guanajuato, and San Luis Potosí),
* Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado,
* Indigenous California
* Guatemala

She may have also had a more distant connection to England, Ireland, and/or French Canada.

We believe that the father of her unborn child is from Choluteca, Honduras, and either he or one of his biological parents have the surname Baca,

One area where we have made significant progress is her ancestral connection to the Mexican state of Zacatecas (in our Central Mexico cluster). We strongly believe that one line of her ancestry originates from the small community of La Blanca, Bajio de la Tesorera (in a city now named General Pánfilo Natera). We believe that two of her direct ancestors are a couple named Ponciano Montellano (born about 1823) and Feliciana Rojas (born about 1824).

Ponciano and Feliciana had six daughters (Paula, Martina, Maria Refugio, Catarina, Albina, and Antonia) and one son (Gabriel). Several of their descendants have migrated to the United States, particularly in the El Paso Texas, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Southern California areas. Martina Montellano-Solis died in 1861 during childbirth of her only child - a daughter named Bernardina.

Some common surnames among other descendants of the Montellano family who have migrated to the United States are: Aleman, Alvarez (or Alvarado), Arizmendi, Betancourt, Campos, Cuevas, Hernandez, Lara, Lira, Ortiz, Parga, Payan, Ramirez, Salazar, Sustayta, and Villareal.

As of May 5, 2021 we have a couple of matches greater than 100 cM. Those matches have extremely endogamous families and are likely 4th cousins or more distant.

DNA Doe Project Case Update: Ventura County Jane Doe - Westlake Village, California (1980)

We have been diligently working on this case for over two years. Due to the lack of close matches and endogamy in the ancestral trees of her DNA cousins and complications related to tracing the migration of persons from Mexico to the United States we still haven’t identified her immediate family.

Our team has had some success in identifying common ancestors between Ventura County Jane Doe, and her DNA cousins. Although we have found connections, and possible surnames and geographic locations of interest, these DNA cousins are very distant, and therefore we still haven’t been able to reach her identity. This is where you can help! Please Share and upload and opt-in at GEDmatch.com and FTDNA.

Our previous update on this case focused on the following five regions of interest, from where different lines of her ancestry originate:
* Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (The Mexican states of Coahuila, Tamaulipas, and Nuevo Leon)
*Central Mexico (The Mexican States of Zacatecas, Guanajuato, and San Luis Potosí),
* Indigenous California
* Guatemala

She may have also had a more distant connection to England, Ireland, and/or French Canada.

We believe that the father of her unborn child is from Choluteca, Honduras, and either he or one of his biological parents have the surname Baca,

One area where we have made significant progress is her ancestral connection to the Mexican state of Zacatecas (in our Central Mexico cluster). We strongly believe that one line of her ancestry originates from the small community of La Blanca, Bajio de la Tesorera (in a city now named General Pánfilo Natera). We believe that two of her direct ancestors are a couple named Ponciano Montellano (born about 1823) and Feliciana Rojas (born about 1824).

Ponciano and Feliciana had six daughters (Paula, Martina, Maria Refugio, Catarina, Albina, and Antonia) and one son (Gabriel). Several of their descendants have migrated to the United States, particularly in the El Paso Texas, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Southern California areas. Martina Montellano-Solis died in 1861 during childbirth of her only child - a daughter named Bernardina.

Some common surnames among other descendants of the Montellano family who have migrated to the United States are: Aleman, Alvarez (or Alvarado), Arizmendi, Betancourt, Campos, Cuevas, Hernandez, Lara, Lira, Ortiz, Parga, Payan, Ramirez, Salazar, Sustayta, and Villareal.

As of May 5, 2021 we have a couple of matches greater than 100 cM. Those matches have extremely endogamous families and are likely 4th cousins or more distant.

has anyone posted in the small communities in Mexico where the identified ancestors were from? my husbands parents are from a small "rancho" in michoacan and ppl all know each other there. posting a poster in the community seat and in high traffic areas may give us info.

I'm wondering about the southern Colorado branch. My maternal grandfather's mother were possibly (probably?) mixed though they had acquired an Anglo name. What little I know about them seems like they had lived in the US for generations already.

It might be time to get mine done, I guess...

* Indigenous California
* Guatemala

OT:
Cuevas is a name that pops up in the Livings descendants who are possibly related to the Allenstown middle child. Interesting coincidence.

I actually fact checked my sources and realized I mixed up a marriage record. Even though it's one mix up, I still have my areas narrowed though.

That happens pretty often too :D I mixed up my own pretty straightforward family tree trying to trace a known person. I can't imagine trying to keep everything straight for unknowns and maybes. You and everybody who tackles it has my deep respect.

On the update from DNA Doe on March 27, 2020 it was said one of the surnames was “Sustaita” I notice now the name is being spelled “Sustayta”. I wonder why the change in spelling? This stands out to me because I know of a family who lived not far from the location where she was allegedly picked up hitchhiking who had that last name but spelled it the first way

On the update from DNA Doe on March 27, 2020 it was said one of the surnames was “Sustaita” I notice now the name is being spelled “Sustayta”. I wonder why the change in spelling? This stands out to me because I know of a family who lived not far from the location where she was allegedly picked up hitchhiking who had that last name but spelled it the first way

I've observed that the spellings Sustaita and Sustayta are used interchangeably within the same family. The "Y" spelling is more common among current day persons in that line that descends directly from Ponciano and Feliciana. The "I" spelling is more common among the ancestors, though I've seen some lines of that family opt for the "I" spelling.

I just submitted Laura Maria Hernandez as a possible match. Since her surname seems to tie into the names mentioned above, and due to the long period of time before reporting things could have been misremembered I suppose.

Small addendum here of another possible (sort of) from me.
Age is not a match, obviously, nor the Date of last contact; but the name, and other details is somewhat compelling.

Maureen Russell Baca

Maureen Baca was 32 years old when she was last seen in Adelanto, California around August 21, 1982. She was not reported missing until 1984 (2 years later) and her date of last contact is based on the reporting person's recollection and cannot be verified. Her family reports that she was never heard from again.

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Original description: 5'4" (family reports she was only 5'1"), 110 pounds, blonde hair (family reports she had reddish-brown hair), brown eyes. Baca has a ten-inch scar on her chest and an eight-inch scar on her right inner arm. She may use the last name Murfee.

Last edited:
I've observed that the spellings Sustaita and Sustayta are used interchangeably within the same family. The "Y" spelling is more common among current day persons in that line that descends directly from Ponciano and Feliciana. The "I" spelling is more common among the ancestors, though I've seen some lines of that family opt for the "I" spelling.
That’s very interesting! I appreciate your response. Thank you.

Update:
It appears the match between Jane doe and Laura Maria Hernandez has been submitted before. But since they both have DNA available and have not matched in codis, it is not going to be taken further.

If DNA is available on both profiles, does this mean they are automatically excluded? Not certain what type of DNA they would have on Laura since it was 13 years going unreported.

Update:
It appears the match between Jane doe and Laura Maria Hernandez has been submitted before. But since they both have DNA available and have not matched in codis, it is not going to be taken further.

If DNA is available on both profiles, does this mean they are automatically excluded? Not certain what type of DNA they would have on Laura since it was 13 years going unreported.

I've heard different things about whether or not DNA is automatically compared if both the MP & UP have DNA in CODIS.
The official word I received from NamUs is yes, they are automatically compared, and if it's an automatic rule out, the exclusions do not appear on their rule out lists in NamUs. Only manual comparisons get updated & put on the lists. The reason for this is because it would be quite a task to list all of them, there are so many DNA profiles in NamUs. I also think they will list a rule out if they are bombarded with the same submission/comparison.
They also told me they automatically compare UPs to UPs in CODIS, too.

i know some sustaitas from the madera area which is not far from visalia.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back