Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #95

Status
Not open for further replies.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has given its stamp of approval to China’s Sinopharm vaccine, the first jab developed by a non-Western country to obtain emergency authorisation.

The official tick offers a guideline to health regulators around the world that the drug is safe and effective and opens the door to it being shipped to poorer countries in the COVAX initiative.

A separate group advising the UN agency on vaccines said it was “very confident” the Sinopharm vaccine protected people ages 18-59.

WHO authorises emergency use of China's Sinopharm vaccine
I hope that that will help India. It could have helped early on in the pandemic in western countries too, if the anti China lobby was not so strong.

I’m really depressed and sad for the people in other countries who don’t have oxygen, meds, vaccines, hospital beds...

The situation in India is heartbreaking. I just saw a video where they have IVs hanging from the trees and people lying underneath them because there are no beds. There was one lady who was giving her covid positive mother mouth to mouth because there’s no oxygen. It’s horrific to think about the suffering. Even if the US gets to a “good point”, (the vaccines seem to really be having a good effect), my heart will still be heavy knowing the suffering that others around the world are experiencing.

Last edited:
CDC/Modeling of Future COVID-19 Cases
Modeling of Future COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalizations, and Deaths, by Vaccination Rates and Nonpharmaceutical Intervention Scenarios — United States, April–September 2021
Early Release / May 5, 2021 / 70

“Summary

What is already known about this topic?

Increases in COVID-19 cases in March and early April occurred despite a large-scale vaccination program. Increases coincided with the spread of SARS-CoV-2 variants and relaxation of nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs).

What is added by this report?

Data from six models indicate that with high vaccination coverage and moderate NPI adherence, hospitalizations and deaths will likely remain low nationally, with a sharp decline in cases projected by July 2021. Lower NPI adherence could lead to substantial increases in severe COVID-19 outcomes, even with improved vaccination coverage.

What are the implications for public health practice?

High vaccination coverage and compliance with NPIs are essential to control COVID-19 and prevent surges in hospitalizations and deaths in the coming months.”

"Students attending colleges and universities in New York would be required to receive a COVID-19 vaccination under a measure proposed by Democratic state Sen. Brad Hoylman. ...

The measure would add COVID to the list of vaccinations already required for college students, which currently include measles, mumps and rubella. ...

Last month, SUNY [State University of New York] Chancellor Jim Malatras in an interview on Capital Tonight did not rule out requiring the vaccine for students by mid-summer, though he insisted there was a desire among students to get their shots.

'We don’t have a vaccine hesitancy problem among SUNY students,' he said. 'What they’ve been demanding of us is eligibility, and now that the state has opened eligibility, they’re signing up.'"

Bill would require New York college students receive COVID vaccine

" in Alabama, there are no institutions currently mandating vaccines. The state is lagging far behind others in vaccinations of its overall populations, so it is offering a little incentive to try to change the numbers.

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, its department of public health got University of Alabama football coach Nick Saban to record a message imploring Alabama constituents to get vaccinated. The catch: you will see more fans in the stands at games."

State-by-state look at colleges requiring COVID-19 vaccines |

"More than 60% of companies in the U.S. will require proof of vaccination from their employees, according to a new survey conducted by Arizona State University with support from the Rockefeller Foundation.

A broad majority of U.S. employers, 65%, plan to offer employees incentives to get vaccinated and 63% will require proof of vaccination, according to the survey. Overall, 44% will require all employees to get vaccinated, 31% will just encourage vaccinations and 14% will require some employees to get vaccinated."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/29/mos...-covid-vaccination-from-employees-survey.html

CDC
How COVID-19 Spreads

COVID-19 and Your Health
Updated May 7, 2021

BBM:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now states explicitly — in large, bold lettering — that airborne virus can be inhaled even when one is more than six feet away from an infected individual. The new language, posted online, is a change from the agency’s previous position that most infections were acquired through “close contact, not airborne transmission.””

Last edited:
CDC
How COVID-19 Spreads

COVID-19 and Your Health
Updated May 7, 2021

BBM:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now states explicitly — in large, bold lettering — that airborne virus can be inhaled even when one is more than six feet away from an infected individual. The new language, posted online, is a change from the agency’s previous position that most infections were acquired through “close contact, not airborne transmission.””

That's a big DUH for the CDC, who sadly, has been behind the times with their messaging during this pandemic, instead of leading and being in front: It took them all this time to put this information out there???? spare me.

That's a big DUH for the CDC, who sadly, has been behind the times with their messaging during this pandemic, instead of leading and being in front: It took them all this time to put this information out there???? spare me.
No kidding. I seem to remember a graphic depicting a restaurant and how the HVAC system blew it all over the room. Maybe from China? Anyways I don’t have a link so it’s just a memory and an opinion of mine at this point. Moo

No kidding. I seem to remember a graphic depicting a restaurant and how the HVAC system blew it all over the room. Maybe from China? Anyways I don’t have a link so it’s just a memory and an opinion of mine at this point. Moo
I think was a Korean study. I recall it too, and made me not want to eat in restaurants until vaccinated.

jmo

My response if it being scary was the New York one in order to be admitted to various venues, not travel.

I'm sorry that this is scary for you. I expect that admission to many venues will require vaccine passports and that this will be a requirement coming from businesses and their liability insurance providers.

It's good to hear that the EU is looking at a joint passport requirement, rather than a piecemeal collection of various requirements.

They are a little tardy with this information don't you think?

That is saying it kindly MOO.

As most here know, I have supported with many since January 2020 here on threads. And I do get that governments don't want to cause Chaos. But I agree, as a first follower here with science... things must change. MOO

We here at WS KNEW it was aerosolized for over a da*n year!

This was so very very very geopolitical MOO.

I don't have an answer, and yes... I disagree . That they didn't state earlier that it was aerosolized. WE AT Websleuths knew and discussed.. and perhaps it was a worldwide agreement to not state as to not create pandemonium and chaos.

MOO MOO as a member here who SUPPORTS science.

I think it was probably this one from a South Korean restaurant that showed the airflow and who then got Covid, the times they were there, etc.

Person caught COVID-19 after 5 minutes in restaurant 20 feet from infected patron, researchers say

I think was a Korean study. I recall it too, and made me not want to eat in restaurants until vaccinated.

jmo
I’m vaccinated and thought about eating inside at a restaurant but seeing none of the kitchen staff, food prep, servers not wearing masks - I changed my mind. It’s going to take a while for my mindset to adjust to feeling safe in a closed inside environment where no one wears masks. JMO

I remember that too-- made us all aware how important ventilation is
with respect to indoor dining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members