Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem ~60, 245UFVA, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96 #2 - Joyce Meyer Sommers

BBM

Perhaps connected to CDH, the man who was convicted of MLB's abduction. MOO JOO

Even before I found the Melissa case, I have wondered if Annandale Jane Doe felt the same way about a child's death that may have lead her to suicide.

I say that because of the Minnie Mouse backpack.

Possible (COMPLETELY speculative theories) are:

• She may have been responsible for a child's death from drinking and driving (be it the driver, be it the person who was driving when the car was hit)
  • She may have felt directly, or indirectly responsible for something she couldn't actually control; like dropping a grandchild off with a parent who did something irresponsible or intentional, which resulted in the child's death
  • One kinda whacky theory I had was that the fanny pack may have been damaged in a recent even at that time; such as the Oklahoma City Bombings (19 April, 1995) or the Olympic Games bombing (27 July 1996, but only one fatality amongst 111 injured, a woman in her 40's from Georgia)
One thing I do wonder though is how she got to the scene. She had quite a bit of stuff when you start thinking about the Tree, the blanket, the other items she brought with her and I don't think it could all fit into the bags she had.

I am sure it is irrelevant, but did they ever determine if the fresh roll of masking tape was the same tape used to repair the fanny pack? To me, this might suggest symbolically trying to fix something before she passed. I also feel like the fancy clothing she was wearing may have been symbolic to a funeral, or wedding.

In regards to the clothes, she probably wore something nice because she wanted to be found wearing those clothes but if she was travelling far she may have needed to wear something more practical too. I have been suicidal in the past and spent some time planning which clothes I wanted to die in.

• One thing I do wonder though is how she got to the scene. She had quite a bit of stuff when you start thinking about the Tree, the blanket, the other items she brought with her and I don't think it could all fit into the bags she had.

RSBM

I don't remember a blanket being mentioned before. Was she found lying on it?
Anyway... With or without the blanket, I believe the items could all easily fit into the knapsack.

I also believe that, with such a "well-planned" suicide, the date and/or the cemetery location may hold a clue to her identity. MOO JMO

Not much to add, but for those wondering about penicillin--you can easily purchase a big bottle at any farm supply store, no prescription needed. Obviously it's not for human use, but it can be very easily obtained. I know it wasn't her COD, and I agree with others that even if her reaction was severe, anaphylaxis is a much worse way to leave this world than what this poor soul chose.
I haven't finished reading the first thread, but I do wonder if she chose the children's section (if that was a conscious choice) not because she lost a child, but maybe because she couldn't have children and wanted to be near them? If she was a widow, with no close family or friends left and no children, it might explain her decision to join those who had gone before.

<snipped by me for clarity>
I haven't finished reading the first thread, but I do wonder if she chose the children's section (if that was a conscious choice) not because she lost a child, but maybe because she couldn't have children and wanted to be near them? If she was a widow, with no close family or friends left and no children, it might explain her decision to join those who had gone before.

100%, it could also be that she felt that the children's section was more welcoming, the more "innocent" souls.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned because I need to go back and read all the comments, but I can’t help think the abdominal scar is an early style bariatric surgery and it looks similar to Jaqueline Gasperian’s scar

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned because I need to go back and read all the comments, but I can’t help think the abdominal scar is an early style bariatric surgery and it looks similar to Jaqueline Gasperian’s scar

I'm certainly not put the picture of this poor woman's tummy up on here....If you want to Google it, be my guest....IMO showing this full flavor on the internet is bewildering. Imagine this was you or your loved one....On the picture that I have seen, I don't see a resemblance with the quite particular scars of Jaqueline Gasparian. For convenience, here is her file Jacqueline Ann Gasperian – The Charley Project. There is also a picture of her scars in it.

Last edited:
I'm certainly not put the picture of this poor woman's tummy up on here....If you want to Google it, be my guest....IMO showing this full flavor on the internet is bewildering. Imagine this was you or your loved one....On the picture that I have seen, I don't see a resemblance with the quite particular scars of Jaqueline Gasparian. For convenience, here is her file Jacqueline Ann Gasperian – The Charley Project. There is also a picture of her scars in it.

Very unlikely it is her, anyways. Jacqueline had really bad oral care. And the interval is way too long. Our Granny Christmas was obviously a quite educated middleclass woman, as to what she listened to and the command of language she used in her letter. I do not know what Jacquelines story was and would hate to jump to assumptions, but she was in foster care until she aged out of it and that usually (but not always) means less access to education (depends on the foster, but back then in Jacquelines time many foster homes were terrible places). She of course could have caught up with education as an adult, but still, everything combined makes it unlikely it is her.

Her scar looks nothing lile bariatric surgery imho, it is not a csection scar, either.
She must have had an extensive abdominal surgery at some point, the scar does not look terribly old, as it is still pink, maybe 2-5 years.
Maybe some sort if hysterectomy scar then? Or something along the lines of that, ovaries, reproduction bits etc.

Maybe that's why she was unable to have children, if we're going with that theory......

Hysterectomy is usually performed transvaginal. That is standard for many decades now.
And even if you decide to do it with a laparotomy (really hardly happens), the incision is small and at the place where bikini cut csections are done. An uterus is small, lol, even if you have fibroids or adenomyosis or cancer.

Unable to have children... i sympathize with that because I am an infertility survivor, but she is well past her childbearing years and most women come to term with it at some point or another (though it always hurts). It is rarely a reason for suicide.

Depression is a complicated condition and does not always need a "reason" or "trigger". She perceived her life as "miserable", but it does not mean it "was" miserable. I suffer from bouts of depression from time to time and objectively, my life is not miserable, but for me at those times it is.

I would love to find out the reason for her surgery, though. The last time I have seen a scar like that was in Vance Rodriguez case. His was from a gunshot wound to the abdomen. But our ladies scar can be from any kind of major abdominal surgery. But she had a major surgery that needed access to the entire abdominal cavity.

What about surgery techniques in the 1950s though?

She died in 1996 aged approx. 60, so that could give her a DOB of 1936.

If she had an operation in her 20s or 30s that would make it the mid-1950s or 1960s.

I'd have to research gynaecological operations then to know if they were transvaginal then or what method were used.
I suppose could also be a cancer tumour operation?

But we could be talking about nearly 70 years ago......I'm sure surgical methods would have been different.

Her scar looks nothing lile bariatric surgery imho, it is not a csection scar, either.
She must have had an extensive abdominal surgery at some point, the scar does not look terribly old, as it is still pink, maybe 2-5 years.

Some people have scars that remain pinkish forever. I have one like that.

I don't see any reason to think it's not a C-section scar.

I think the term "death by own hand" is interesting. I am not sure the origins of that, but it seems very formal. I wonder if she was an immigrant after WWII to the USA? German or European.

I did search find a grave looking for deaths or births on December 18th in that cemetery. There were a few. That day is significant to her. Very. There are several Christian and a Jewish holidays that day.

There is Annandale in Scotland. Did she give up a child? Only to find he/she died? Thoughts?

The scar is a laparotomy scar, not a vertical c-section. Classical cesarian sections typically do not extend above the umbilicus. This isn't to say she didn't have a c-section scar before her laparotomy.
There are multiple reasons for a full length incisional laparotomy, particularly in the times prior to laprascopic surgery becoming more readily available. Any intraabdominal cancer or infection would usually require such a large incision for access.

I'm a doctor who has seen a lot of scars!

Heard about this case in a Facebook group I’m in. What an interesting case. Obviously she took things with her that were sentimental and wanted to “enjoy” her ultimate death comfortably. I wonder if she was struggling mentally. Or perhaps. Just depressed. The scar is definitely strange. I don’t think c section at all.
I feel like there is a bit of clues of everything she brought that is important to her and is about her. The Fanny pack is interesting. Perhaps it is a childhood memory?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back