GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

zwiebel

Reaction score
'An American tourist's battered body has been found in a suitcase at an exclusive hotel on Indonesia's resort island of Bali and her daughter and daughter's boyfriend have been arrested over the killing, police said.

The body of Sheila von Wiese Mack was found on Tuesday stuffed into a suitcase in the boot of a taxi in front of the five-star St Regis hotel in the upscale Nusa Dua resort area of Bali.'

The 62 - year-old victim had been staying in the exclusive hotel with her daughter, Heather, 19, and her daughter's boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer, 21. She was found half naked and investigators say she had put up such a fierce struggle, she had broken her left hand.

The US Embassy in Jakarta says it is aware of the arrests. There doesn't seem to be any information about where in the US the three are from.

American tourist's body found in suitcase in Bali

Timeline/Media Thread

Thread 1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Any news whether HM is out of prison yet and whether she managed to find a way to stay in Bali?

Haven't seen anything about her. But I have seen that covid is whipping through Kerobokan prison. And that they had a ban on visitors for at least 8 months due to covid (not sure if it has been lifted) which means she wont have seen their daughter for a long time.

I wonder if the new women’s wing is included in that ban. It seems like the women have it much easier than the men in there, especially with the new area that opened for them. The only way I can see HM still in there is if it was by request because she doesn’t want to be deported. She certainly had enough sentence reductions piled up to do less than the 10 years and I can’t see them keeping anyone longer than necessary considering the overcrowding.

I also wonder what is happening with Tommy.

Hi Kamille and South Aussie. Long time and so much has happened in the world. I've been thinking about HM lately. Been thinking it's about time for her to be released. I went to the cousins Facebook page and saw this:
Robert Ryan
April 24
I'm almost home and I miss y'all like a mf. Be home sooner than you think. Stay Down!
If you need to reach me fml (781-604-7292)
48 Comments

You can do a search and see for yourself. It's public. Obviously, he has someone posting for him. He originally said 2024, but wonder if he will be getting out early.

Thanks for the heads up @Weezer Fan. Tried to find more current info, but only found confirmation of what @SouthAussie said about a Covid outbreak at the prison in 2020. More men came down with it as @Kamille suggested.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if you told me Heather got out already, but no reports of such that I could find.
More than 100 inmates test positive for COVID-19 in Bali's Kerobokan Prison - National - The Jakarta Post
Sun, October 25, 2020

Fears for four Australians in Bali's notorious Kerobokan jail over COVID-19 scare | Daily Mail Online PUBLISHED: 07:27 EDT, 24 October 2020 |

Suitcase killer expresses concerns for her daughter as she prepares for return to US | Daily Mail Online

"Indonesian President Joko Widodo announced last week that Mack will be released in October, nearly three years early, for good behavior."

"Mack will be deported immediately to the United States, however, she is considering leaving Stella with her foster family."

All that bluster about refusing to come back to the US might not be working. HM hasn't seen Stella in person since March 2020 because of COVID, although she does get to phone/video. I wonder if TS gets the same access.

TS's cousin may be getting out early as a combination of 'good' behavior and COVID.

btw...Hi everyone! Been a long time!

Now, she says ..... “I absolutely regret what happened. I loved my mom — I still do,” Heather said. “She wasn’t evil, and she didn’t deserve to die the way she did. I didn’t kill her for money. It was for my freedom and Stella’s freedom, or so I thought at the time. I think of her a thousand times a day.”

In 2017 she said .... “I don’t regret killing my mother … I made it up in my heart, in my mind, in my soul, in my blood, in the oxygen running through my body that I wanted to kill my mother.” She claimed that, “When I was 10, my mother killed my father … ”

But she has apparently turned into a model prisoner. Mack has become the prison’s chief choreographer for dance performances, sings with the ladies’ choir and is a fitness instructor.

“Heather has never been violent to other prisoners or the guards and is a helpful aid in daily life. She teaches Zumba classes daily, conducts dances for special festivals and participates in the spiritual life,” Mrs. Lili, chief of the women’s prison, said.

Mack learned the Indonesian language and also mastered the local dialect of Bahasa Balinese.

“The guards asked me to help when a new woman had a meltdown or just could not understand what was required according to the rules,” Mack said. “I’m … called to calm the waters when foreigners have issues.”

Mack will leave prison with little more than the clothes on her back. She plans to fly to Chicago and stay with a friend. How she will cope in society remains to be seen.

'Suitcase Killer' Heather Mack 'scared' to return to US

'Suitcase Killer' Heather Mack 'scared' to return to US (nypost.com)

I was shocked to find this article which indicates this witch is being released from prison and going back to Chicago with her daughter. I note someone posted this info above. It is disgusting. Anyone that thinks she has any remorse, well I have some swamp land in Florida to see ya!!!!!

Now, she says .....
Oh, pleeease, give us a break. Another version. MOO, she's so manipulative, and knows how to be phony and work it to make herself look less evil. But I hope she did change and won't kill anymore people that get in her way. What about Tommy? Is he going to get out early too?

'Suitcase Killer' Heather Mack 'scared' to return to US (nypost.com)

But neither parent has seen the girl since March 2020, when Indonesian authorities stopped prison visits because of COVID.

“Out of seven years in jail, the hardest part has been the past 18 months because I have not seen Stella,” Mack said. “Video-calling Stella three times a week from the prison phone is my only option. I’m grateful I can do that.”

[...]

Mack told the Post. “I think that I am kind, and I have become a peacemaker in the jail, which is a strange thing for a murderer to say.” (no more BS pleease!)

ETA link with quotes
According to Favia, Mack is "seriously" considering returning to Chicago with her daughter, but hasn't made any final determinations. Meanwhile, the Indonesian government has indicated that it will deport Mack back to the United States once she is released

"I am fearful and nervous of returning to Chicago," she told the New York Post. "I'm not worried about the idea that people cannot understand the tragedy for my sake. But I'm nervous for Stella."

Mack has previously said she would consider allowing her daughter to remain in the care of her foster family, whom she has lived with since she was two years old.
nbcchicago.com/news/local/heather-mack-convicted-in-2014-murder-of-her-mother-in-bali-to-be-released-from-prison-report/2596421/%3famp

She has suggested she may leave her daughter with the Australian woman and her Balinese husband for another year because of her fears. They have raised her since she was 2 years old after she was no longer allowed to stay in prison with her mother.
I hope she does go without her daughter, I think she will have a difficult time getting her back if the child's current foster parents fight for her, but especially if she voluntarily leaves her behind as it's unlikely she will be allowed to re-enter Bali anytime soon, if ever.
After fighting for so long for her right to the estate of the mother she murdered, half of it's value has been drained by legal fees by the attorney executor who refused to give her the money.
She finally gave up and the remainder of the estate now goes to her daughter.
I live in Bali and can confidently say she is at a major disadvantage in a court here against a Balinese father and his Aussie wife who have had the child for years, (not to mention the unspoken influence on any decision of the inheritance staying in Bali to be spent on the child).
It's just a question of whether the foster parents will willingly hand her over to the mom without a court battle.
The local rumors are they will not but HM doesn't realize that, I hope it is true.
In my opinion, it would be a travesty for the girl to be taken from Bali now, and all the love she has here, it's all she knows, while also allowing her bio mom to manage her inheritance.

Last edited:
ETA link with quotes
According to Favia, Mack is "seriously" considering returning to Chicago with her daughter, but hasn't made any final determinations. Meanwhile, the Indonesian government has indicated that it will deport Mack back to the United States once she is released

"I am fearful and nervous of returning to Chicago," she told the New York Post. "I'm not worried about the idea that people cannot understand the tragedy for my sake. But I'm nervous for Stella."

Mack has previously said she would consider allowing her daughter to remain in the care of her foster family, whom she has lived with since she was two years old.
nbcchicago.com/news/local/heather-mack-convicted-in-2014-murder-of-her-mother-in-bali-to-be-released-from-prison-report/2596421/%3famp

She has suggested she may leave her daughter with the Australian woman and her Balinese husband for another year because of her fears. They have raised her since she was 2 years old after she was no longer allowed to stay in prison with her mother.
I hope she does go without her daughter, I think she will have a difficult time getting her back if the child's current foster parents fight for her, but especially if she voluntarily leaves her behind as it's unlikely she will be allowed to re-enter Bali anytime soon, if ever.
After fighting for so long for her right to the estate of the mother she murdered, half of it's value has been drained by legal fees by the attorney executor who refused to give her the money.
She finally gave up and the remainder of the estate now goes to her daughter.
I live in Bali and can confidently say she is at a major disadvantage in a court here against a Balinese father and his Aussie wife who have had the child for years, (not to mention the unspoken influence on any decision of the inheritance staying in Bali to be spent on the child).
It's just a question of whether the foster parents will willingly hand her over to the mom without a court battle.
The local rumors are they will not but HM doesn't realize that, I hope it is true.
In my opinion, it would be a travesty for the girl to be taken from Bali now, and all the love she has here, it's all she knows, while also allowing her bio mom to manage her inheritance.

I think we were wondering before if HM could face charges, upon returning to the US ... was it for misuse of the inheritance? I can't quite remember.

Tonight on Inside Edition the USA learns of Heather returning to this country. They try to slant it in her favor, but they're actually sending out a heads up to the public to take notice. For those that don't know about her murdering her mother, they'll know now.

They're showing pictures of Stella now. Oh goodness, she's adorable. MOO, it's best to leave Stella in Bali. She doesn't need to further pay for HM's crimes.

Heather Mack, American Heiress Who Killed Socialite Mother, Gets Early Prison Release, Attorney Says | Inside Edition

I think we were wondering before if HM could face charges, upon returning to the US ... was it for misuse of the inheritance? I can't quite remember.

It is possible she could be prosecuted in the US for a murder of a US citizen on foreign soil, I think it's highly unlikely but if I were her I would be afraid too.
Remember Tommy's cousin was prosecuted and imprisoned in 2017 in the US for conspiracy to commit murder of a US citizen on foreign soil.

chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021/8/24/22640355/heather-mack-expected-return-u-s-seven-years-mothers-slaying-but-will-she-walk-free
"The FBI immediately initiated an investigation into the murder, and Mack’s attorneys have acknowledged a U.S. grand jury investigation into Mack’s role. The feds aren’t commenting."

Chicago Man Sentenced to 9 Years in Prison for Aiding His Cousin and Heather Mack in the Murder of Mack’s Mother in Bali, Indonesia
Bibbs acknowledged in his plea agreement that he was aware of the couple’s plot to carry out the murder, and he counseled Schaefer on how to get away with it. Bibbs believed Schaefer would gain access to Von Wiese’s estate through Mack, and that Schaefer would share a portion of the inheritance with him, according to the plea agreement.

Edited to add link and quote

Last edited:
All across America people watching tv learned about Heather returning to the states. MOO, she'll be fine, you know she knows how to play it in all kinds of situations. She'll make up a new better version of why she had to kill her mother. As for Stella, that precious little girl, I really wish she could stay with "her" Bali family. It'll be harder for Stella here. JMO though.

Heather Mack, American Heiress Who Killed Socialite Mother, Gets Early Prison Release, Attorney Says | Inside Edition First Published: 11:46 AM PDT, August 24, 2021

from the article:
An Australian-Balinese woman named Oshar Putu Melody Suartama became Stella’s guardian. Suartama ,who is married to a Balinese man and has two other children, struck up a friendship with Mack while the pregnant teen while incarcerated. She brought her food and prenatal vitamins and paid for her medical care, People reported.

Mack will be deported back to the United States. It is unclear whether her daughter, who is now 6, will stay with her foster family in Indonesia or return to the States with Mack.

Mack told The New York Post that her daughter is unaware of the events leading to her parents' incarceration and grandmother’s death and said she was “fearful and nervous of returning to Chicago.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back