PA PA - Bedford, 'Mr. Bones' WhtMale 30-35, 585UMPA, 30-06 rifle, gold dental wk, camping equip, Oct'58

It appears Richard has already made a post about this barrel code. Regardless, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to have this information. If it was made in 1956-1958, it could help us narrow down the time of death. Just my two cents for what it’s worth.

It appears Richard has already made a post about this barrel code. Regardless, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to have this information. If it was made in 1956-1958, it could help us narrow down the time of death. Just my two cents for what it’s worth.

According to this article (pertinent clip attached), the rifle was was sold in Fort Wayne, Indiana in 1939 but there was no record of the buyer.

From the Morning Call, 2/7/2004 (subscription required)
7 Feb 2004, 13 - The Morning Call at Newspapers.com

Attachments

• Mr Bones - Morning Call 2-7-04.JPG
    Mr Bones - Morning Call 2-7-04.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 11
Actually, the information about the rifle being sold in 1938 or 39 was not correct in the origional case summary and in early posts in this forum.

The follwing is from my 2008 post (number 291 on page 12):

... "Although the Doenetwork and early posts in this thread described it as a "Springfield Rifle", that was evidently only a sort of generic name meaning that it was a bolt action type. I spoke with the officer working this cold case, and he described it to me as a Remington Model 721A in 30-06 caliber.

The Remington 721A (a civilian hunting rifle) was introduced in 1948 and last manufactured in 1962. These dates do not support a statement made in one of the posts which dated the rifle to 1939. It was, in fact, a fairly new rifle at the time of this young man's death (1958). Documents indicated that it was origionally purchased in Fort Wayne, Indiana, but no records were kept back then as to who that origional retail purchaser was. The date of that purchase is also in question." ...

The rifle was likely sold in Fort Wayne, Indiana but the date of that sale had to have been some time between 1948 and 1958.

And yet this disputes my post (above). Interesting ...

I appreciate the post, CCJD. Unfortunately, if Richard is correct, and the rifle is a Remington 721, it couldn’t possibly have been delivered any later than 1948. To me, this suggests the lead about the Indiana store could be inaccurate or even entirely wrong. The fact the original reports list the gun as a Springfield (rather than a Remington) makes me wonder if the police at the time were looking for the wrong gun when they were investigating, but perhaps that’s too far of a stretch...

Last edited:
Hey guys. Just made an account because I find this case so damn interesting. Richard, you mentioned learning that the gun belonging to Mr. Bones is actually a Remington Model 721. Did the officer who told you this also tell you about any markings or numbers stamped on the receiver or barrel? It looks like these guns had symbols stamped on the left hand side of the base of the barrel that could give us a month and year of manufacture. Hope this helps

You are absolutely correct concerning Remington "barrel codes". The area indicated in your photo is where three letters would be stamped into the metal of the barrel. The code would give you the month and year that the barrel was made.

The code is based on this word: BLACKPOWDERX and it is a substitution code for the following respective numbers: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12.

So if you had a code of XCD, it would decode to 12-49, meaning that it was made in December 1949.

This is only something that the Remington Arms Company did and does not apply to firearms made by other companies.

The serial number of the rifle would be stamped on the receiver, and knowing that would also allow you to determine the manufacture date.

Unfortunately, I do not know the barrel code or serial number of Mr. Bones' rifle.

The chambering of the rifle is for the ".30-06 Springfield" cartridge. That information should also be stamped on the barrel, and that may be where the confusion regarding its earlier identification came from.

Hm. Well I suppose it wouldn’t hurt for me to reach out to the PSP and see if they’re willing to provide that information. It might be a dead end, but then again, it could help us determine when exactly Mr. Bones met his end if it was made between 56-58 and maybe even give us a different, more accurate location where the rifle was originally sold. Do you think it’s possible the police may have been wrongly looking for an ‘03 Springfield instead of a Remington 721 due to the “.30-06 Springfield” cartridge marking?

Last edited:
Adding to my previous post, I’ve personally heard of accounts where people in possession of a handgun chambered in 9mm Luger incorrectly referred to their gun as a “Luger”, as in the German pistol from WW1 and WW2, when in reality there are possibly hundreds of different firearms chambered in that cartridge that otherwise have no relation to the P08 Luger pistol. Hmmm... I’m really going down the rabbit hole on this line of thinking :confused:

Last edited:
Just left a voicemail with the case officer leaving my contact info. Wish me luck. I’m hoping this goes somewhere, but I’m also nervous that it won’t.

Last edited:
Just left a voicemail with the case officer leaving my contact info. Wish me luck. I’m hoping this goes somewhere, but I’m also nervous that it won’t.

I hope you have as much luck with the case officer as I did several years ago. He was very happy to talk with me and very open with information on the case.

I hope you have as much luck with the case officer as I did several years ago. He was very happy to talk with me and very open with information on the case.
Thanks Richard. Just to give me some perspective, did it take a while to actually get communications going with this officer? I’d imagine they have a lot of other responsibilities and cases to work on, many of them a higher priority than this one is.

Just a followup to my last post. Haven’t gotten any calls back since I left a voicemail this Monday. Could just be a busy week. No idea.

A most puzzling case....the books show an interest in poetry....{ A college background{?}
Yet the Biker jacket indicates an "Outlaw moterbike" interest{?} likewise is the jacket is good enough to protect a persons from cold; rain and exposure...?
His camping eqipment and rifle hint that he expected to live off the land...but why no food found with the remains...the camping equipment had hardly been used...if the camping equipment was sold in Ky it could tell what part of the state he came from..unless its a common brand sold in any store....except for the bullet that killed him..did they find any other ammo?
He had no money..not even a credit card....yet his teeth show he came from aupper-middle clas background....how did he support himself? He didnt even have a watch with him..at least that could have told what kind of background hee came from....preahps DNA Will tell where he came from...europe; USA or Canada...

Last edited:
A most puzzling case....the books show an interest in poetry....{ A college background{?}
Yet the Biker jacket indicates an "Outlaw moterbike" interest{?} likewise is the jacket is good enough to protect a persons from cold; rain and exposure...?
His camping eqipment and rifle hint that he expected to live off the land...but why no food found with the remains...the camping equipment had hardly been used...if the camping equipment was sold in Ky it could tell what part of the state he came from..unless its a common brand sold in any store....except for the bullet that killed him..did they find any other ammo?
He had no money..not even a credit card
....yet his teeth show he came from aupper-middle clas background....how did he support himself? He didnt even have a watch with him..at least that could have told what kind of background hee came from....preahps DNA Will tell where he came from...europe; USA or Canada...
RBBM

IMO, the presence of a "motorcycle jacket" doesn't necessarily equate to having a motorcycle. Maybe he just liked it. Remember the movie "Grease"? The guys had "motorcycle jackets" (so did ONJ at the end). They were grease monkeys - not bikers.

He was skeletal when found. Any food he may have had (fresh or tinned) may have been carted off by birds and/or wildlife long before he was found.

3 boxes of ammo were found

He had either $23 or $38 on him depending on source. Article from 1958 says $23. Article from 2004 says $38. (Pertinent parts of articles attached)

31 Dec 1969, - at Newspapers.com

(ignore dates on links - correct dates are noted on attached pic description)

Attachments

• mr bones property  Bedford County Press 10-17-58.JPG
    mr bones property Bedford County Press 10-17-58.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 7
  • mr bones property 2 Mrng Call 2-7-04.JPG
    mr bones property 2 Mrng Call 2-7-04.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 8
RBBM

IMO, the presence of a "motorcycle jacket" doesn't necessarily equate to having a motorcycle. Maybe he just liked it. Remember the movie "Grease"? The guys had "motorcycle jackets" (so did ONJ at the end). They were grease monkeys - not bikers.

He was skeletal when found. Any food he may have had (fresh or tinned) may have been carted off by birds and/or wildlife long before he was found.

3 boxes of ammo were found

He had either $23 or $38 on him depending on source. Article from 1958 says $23. Article from 2004 says $38. (Pertinent parts of articles attached)

(ignore dates on links - correct dates are noted on attached pic description)
Could he have been a criminal who made money through illicit means? Part of a motorcycle gang perhaps? Has anyone inquired as to whether any symbol was etched onto the surface of the jacket that may indicate an affiliation with a motorcycle club or other group? I would hope the police checked this out long ago, but then again, I have reason to believe they may have dropped the ball when investigating the rifle, and failing to interview the doctor who prescribed the contacts was a MASSIVE oversight. If he was a veteran, could he have relied on the goodwill of people, particularly other veterans, to obtain money, supplies, books, and/or temporary employment wherever he travelled? Is it plausible such charity would enable him to afford getting gold fillings and contacts?

Another point which I don’t think has been fully addressed is the lack of any vehicle he would have used to get to his location of death. If the estimated time between his death and discovery was correct (up to two years) I would think that would provide plenty of time for some thief to find his vehicle and steal it before anyone was aware of his remains. He could have taken a motorcycle or car with him only to have some bikejacker make off with it after his unfortunate end.

Last edited:
Good thoughts. Here are a few observations/comments for what they are worth.

I believe that the investigators narrowed the date of death down somewhat to the previous spring (1958). I do not recall how that was accomplished, but there are several possibilities. With all the items found at the site, there would be some ways of telling when they were manufactured.

As mentioned in previous posts, the barrel date of the rifle would provide one clue. The ammunition boxes would also have been marked with a lot number associated with a date. The money found on the body, or with his effects, would also have dates on them, as did the books. With those sorts of clues, one could determine a date that the death could not have occurred earlier than.

Other forensic clues from the body could also have pointed to a general date or time frame. For instance, there was no cold weather clothing, which would tend to rule out a winter camp.

As to the leather jacket, I can say from personal experience that they are truly an "all weather" item. When it is hot, the jacket makes you hotter. When it is cold, the jacket is cold. When it is wet, the jacket gets wet too. While providing a certain amount of protection and warmth for the motorcycle rider, and of course looking very cool, they are not the choice of any serious camper or hunter.

The most likely scenario regarding a vehicle is that he parked it at the freeway oasis and hiked back to his campsite. After his death, the vehicle (whether car or bike) was either towed away by state officials as abandoned. Or it was stolen by someone who noticed that it had been left there.

It is most likely that he did have a vehicle of some sort, because to walk would have meant carrying all that stuff on his back for many miles to have arrived at the site. And even if hitchhiking, who would pick up a man carrying a rifle? And why would they leave him at a remote highway oasis?

Last edited:

I believe that the investigators narrowed the date of death down somewhat to the previous spring (1958). I do not recall how that was accomplished, but there are several possibilities. With all the items found at the site, there would be some ways of telling when they were manufactured.

As mentioned in previous posts, the barrel date of the rifle would provide one clue. The ammunition boxes would also have been marked with a lot number associated with a date. The money found on the body, or with his effects, would also have dates on them, as did the books. With those sorts of clues, one could come with a date that the death could not have occurred earlier than.

Other forensic clues from the body could also have pointed to a general date or time frame.

As to the leather jacket, I can say from personal experience that they are truly an "all weather" item. When it is hot, the jacket makes you hotter. When it is cold, the jacket is cold. When it is wet, the jacket gets wet too. While providing a certain amount of protection and warmth for the motorcycle rider, and of course looking very cool, they are not the choice of any serious camper or hunter.

The most likely scenario regarding a vehicle is that he parked it at the freeway oasis and hiked back to his campsite. After his death, the vehicle (whether car or bike) was either towed away by state officials as abandoned or stolen by someone who noticed that it had been left there. It is most likely that he did have a vehicle of some sort, because to walk would have meant carrying all that stuff on his back for many miles to have arrived at the site. And even if hitchhiking, who would pick up a man carrying a rifle? And why would they leave him at a remote highway oasis?
I don’t necessarily think the rifle would have dissuaded anybody from helping him. After all, he did have a case for it which he could have used to conceal it from any prying eyes. If anything, I would imagine his physical appearance (big, presumably muscular guy wearing a biker jacket) might have been what made motorists uncomfortable giving him a ride if he was a hitchhiker. Then again, that very physique would have made him stand out in people’s minds, especially when you consider all the gear he had with him. If anybody gave him a ride, I would think his physique, his outfit, and his equipment would have made him very memorable to people indeed. I’m genuinely surprised more people didn’t come forward claiming to have seen him. That would suggest his use of a vehicle. Ergo, no motorists coming to the police about a big biker dude loaded with camping gear standing on the freeway or any motorists notifying police they had given such an individual a ride.

If I do receive a call back from the officer, I might also ask her to look through those books for any notes or other markings he might have made in them. It sounds like that idea’s already been discussed in this thread, and I haven’t seen any confirmation that has already been done.

I also wonder if time of death (spring) could have been determined by pollen located in the skeleton’s nasal passages. It wouldn’t be the first time forensic experts have narrowed down a time of year when a person died based on the types of pollen found in the skeleton Murderers Unmasked by Pollen

As mentioned in previous posts, the barrel date of the rifle would provide one clue. The ammunition boxes would also have been marked with a lot number associated with a date. The money found on the body, or with his effects, would also have dates on them, as did the books. With those sorts of clues, one could determine a date that the death could not have occurred earlier than.

Other forensic clues from the body could also have pointed to a general date or time frame. For instance, there was no cold weather clothing, which would tend to rule out a winter camp.

The most likely scenario regarding a vehicle is that he parked it at the freeway oasis and hiked back to his campsite. After his death, the vehicle (whether car or bike) was either towed away by state officials as abandoned. Or it was stolen by someone who noticed that it had been left there.

It is most likely that he did have a vehicle of some sort, because to walk would have meant carrying all that stuff on his back for many miles to have arrived at the site. And even if hitchhiking, who would pick up a man carrying a rifle? And why would they leave him at a remote highway oasis?

I have an update regarding my attempts to contact the police about the barrel code. It appears I was calling the wrong number this whole time, and now I feel like an idiot. I called a different number today that was listed on Mr.Bones’s NamUs page but not on his DoeNetwork page. I managed to get through to a very kind woman who took down the information I gave her regarding the gun. After our call, I emailed her a photo of the Remington 721 to show her where the barrel code would be as well as the link to that diagram which shows what each of those letters mean. I also asked her if she could have somebody look through his books for any handwritten notes he may have scribbled down in the pages, as she said in our call she wasn’t aware of anyone having done that already. Really hoping I get some good news to share with you all :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back