IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding comments on another thread (Abby and Libby) about Lyric and Lizzy, I want to say that the only known footage we have of Lyric and Lizzy on 13 July 2012 was a grainy surveillance video from a camera located behind Cornbelt Auctions. The camera faced Brovan Blvd. and showed the girls riding their bikes on Brovan Blvd. in the direction of River Forest Rd. There are no known (at least not publicly known) photos of the girls riding past the car wash. In earlier threads on this case, there was some discussion about the car wash on River Forest Rd. and the possibility that someone could have been watching the girls from that location. A short time after the Cornbelt Auctions cctv footage, the girls were reportedly seen in the area of Myers Lake but no images (if there are any) have been released.

It's been almost nine years since these two young cousins were kidnapped and murdered. There are still no answers and no justice. My heart breaks for the families of the girls. I cannot imagine their suffering.

Not intended to be a political post, just an observation that such a unit could be of great value to families waiting on answers or closure.

April 14, 2021
"A similar unit existed for 3 years up until a decade ago, and some cold cases, as far back as 40 years, were solved,".....

"They're solvable. We just need to look into them," said Drew Collins, who's no stranger to the unsolved.

While unsolved, Collins doesn't believe the girls' case has gone cold.

"Ours is very active but a lot of these people behind me, their cases aren't because they haven't had any clues or tips come in for years. So these families just suffer,” Collins said.

Iowa cold case bill gets full Iowa Senate support

April 25, 2021
“The reality is we do have cold cases out there and we need justice brought for those victims and the family of those victims.”
Iowa Senate Passes Bill For Dedicated Cold Case Unit

Last edited:
Regarding comments on another thread (Abby and Libby) about Lyric and Lizzy, I want to say that the only known footage we have of Lyric and Lizzy on 13 July 2012 was a grainy surveillance video from a camera located behind Cornbelt Auctions. The camera faced Brovan Blvd. and showed the girls riding their bikes on Brovan Blvd. in the direction of River Forest Rd. There are no known (at least not publicly known) photos of the girls riding past the car wash. In earlier threads on this case, there was some discussion about the car wash on River Forest Rd. and the possibility that someone could have been watching the girls from that location. A short time after the Cornbelt Auctions cctv footage, the girls were reportedly seen in the area of Myers Lake but no images (if there are any) have been released.

It's been almost nine years since these two young cousins were kidnapped and murdered. There are still no answers and no justice. My heart breaks for the families of the girls. I cannot imagine their suffering.

I don’t want to argue because I have my doubts that the Evansdale murders are linked to the Delphi murders, but if you look on a map, the camera that they were last captured on is only 500ish feet from the car wash and they were riding their bikes towards River Forest Rd.

I know we all want this case solved and when a car wash is mentioned it’s easy to think about Lyric and Elizabeth since they were last seen so close to one and it was discussed ad nauseam here.

Most missing children aren't the victims of abduction at all, they are usually runaways, the number of runaways is substantially higher in minority youths.

However in terms of abduction, Greater than 90% of abductions are by a family member or parent, (usually the non custodial parent). Mothers and females are responsible for roughly 60% of familial abductions.

Only about 1% (approx 100 per year) of those reported are actually abducted by a stranger, of those about 57% are recovered , 43% are not or the victim is deceased.

Of all abductions 99.8% are recovered alive

Stranger abductions have a higher incidence of murder, stranger abductions though rare, only exceed abductions by acquaintances, slightly 52% stranger/unknown to 48% acquaintance

@Kell1 do you have any statistics for the incidence of double murders of abducted minors, where the perpetrator is a stranger?

I did look online, but could not easily find anything specific.

@CrimeAway I would think those statistics would likely be the same as other statistics regarding abductions of minors by strangers.
This type of crime is rare with abductions of more than one child, as a subset, being even more rare.
I recall Joseph Duncan 2 abducted Carmen Cubbias & Sammie Jo White and later on Shasta & Dylan Groene. The Evansdale girls and the Delphi girls are two other cases.

@CrimeAway I would think those statistics would likely be the same as other statistics regarding abductions of minors by strangers.
This type of crime is rare with abductions of more than one child, as a subset, being even more rare.
I recall Joseph Duncan 2 abducted Carmen Cubbias & Sammie Jo White and later on Shasta & Dylan Groene. The Evansdale girls and the Delphi girls are two other cases.

Michael Klunder also kidnapped 2 girls in IA.

Jesse Speer attempted to kidnap more than 1 girl, just 3 months after Lyric & Elizabeth.

Michael Klunder also kidnapped 2 girls in IA.

Jesse Speer attempted to kidnap more than 1 girl, just 3 months after Lyric & Elizabeth.

Also Jeff Altmayer of Ankeny, IA was looked at for Lyric and Lizzy's disappearance because he was known to approach pairs of girls and attempt to lure them: Does Altmayer arrest have any connection to missing cousins case?

In addition to Michael Klunder's crime in 2013 (after which he committed suicide), his first child abduction was a pair of toddlers. They were found in a dumpster, alive. So he abducted pairs of children not once, but at least twice (the ones we know about). Klunder's first victim recalls attack on her

I don’t want to argue because I have my doubts that the Evansdale murders are linked to the Delphi murders, but if you look on a map, the camera that they were last captured on is only 500ish feet from the car wash and they were riding their bikes towards River Forest Rd.

I know we all want this case solved and when a car wash is mentioned it’s easy to think about Lyric and Elizabeth since they were last seen so close to one and it was discussed ad nauseam here.

I don't think we're disagreeing, iamnotagolem. I wrote that they were riding toward River Forest Rd. and I mentioned the discussion on previous threads about the car wash. I was clarifying that we do not have images of the girls riding past the car wash. They could have turned right at River Forest Rd. (or even turned right through the parking lot) and rode past the car wash, but we don't have images that show that is what they did.

Reposting a couple points, I’m sure already posted within these threads. I’m unable to find any mention of a car wash at all..???

BBM

Where the bikes were found -
“Authorities discovered the girls' abandoned bikes on a trail near the 26-acre lake four hours after they went missing.”

Last known location -

“New video has emerged of the two young Iowa cousins who went missing nearly two weeks ago.

Blurry footage from the day the girls vanished shows Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook-Morrisey, 10, leaving Meyers Lake in Evansdale, Iowa on their bikes shortly after noon on July 13, ABC News reported….…..Investigators are currently examining the video, which came from surveillance cameras at a local antique house, for clues that could lead to the discovery of the girl…..”
(
it was initially believed the girls may’ve drowned in Meyer’s Lake but this video proved otherwise.)
VIDEO OF MISSING IOWA GIRLS: Surveillance video of two missing cousins, Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook-Morrissey, emerges

Where the bodies were found -

…”With Seven Bridges open again, passersby could see the recent tire tracks down the wildlife area’s dirt roads. The spot were the bodies were apparently located is an unremarkable bank above a fork in the Wapsipinicon River, about a tenth of a mile walk from a roundabout parking area…

…...Darrin Siefken, owner of CrawDaddy Outdoors in Waverly, said the stretch from Seven Bridges down to Black Hawk County, like Siggelkow Park, is not popular. Seven Bridges is about 20 miles north of Meyers Lake in Evansdale, where the cousins disappeared July 13….

UPDATE: Missing cousins' bodies found in remote area of Seven Bridges

https://www.mycountyparks.com/Handler.ashx?Item_ID=001759DA-281A-441F-BA42-B4EBB4AD7B81

Reposting a couple points, I’m sure already posted within these threads. I’m unable to find any mention of a car wash at all..???

BBM

Where the bikes were found -
“Authorities discovered the girls' abandoned bikes on a trail near the 26-acre lake four hours after they went missing.”

Last known location -

“New video has emerged of the two young Iowa cousins who went missing nearly two weeks ago.

Blurry footage from the day the girls vanished shows Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook-Morrisey, 10, leaving Meyers Lake in Evansdale, Iowa on their bikes shortly after noon on July 13, ABC News reported….…..Investigators are currently examining the video, which came from surveillance cameras at a local antique house, for clues that could lead to the discovery of the girl…..”
(
it was initially believed the girls may’ve drowned in Meyer’s Lake but this video proved otherwise.)
VIDEO OF MISSING IOWA GIRLS: Surveillance video of two missing cousins, Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook-Morrissey, emerges

Where the bodies were found -

…”With Seven Bridges open again, passersby could see the recent tire tracks down the wildlife area’s dirt roads. The spot were the bodies were apparently located is an unremarkable bank above a fork in the Wapsipinicon River, about a tenth of a mile walk from a roundabout parking area…

…...Darrin Siefken, owner of CrawDaddy Outdoors in Waverly, said the stretch from Seven Bridges down to Black Hawk County, like Siggelkow Park, is not popular. Seven Bridges is about 20 miles north of Meyers Lake in Evansdale, where the cousins disappeared July 13….

UPDATE: Missing cousins' bodies found in remote area of Seven Bridges

https://www.mycountyparks.com/Handler.ashx?Item_ID=001759DA-281A-441F-BA42-B4EBB4AD7B81

There’s no known connection to a car wash in Lyric and Lizzy’s case. The girls were seen on cctv as they rode on Brovan Blvd. near Lizzy’s home. There was a car wash nearby on River Forest Rd. that was discussed in previous threads.

The video shows the girls riding on Brovan Blvd., not riding away from Meyers Lake. That is an error in the article. Also, the video came from the back of Cornbelt Auctions, not an antique store.

Last edited:
There’s no known connection to a car wash in Lyric and Lizzy’s case. The girls were seen on cctv as they rode on Brovan Blvd. near Lizzy’s home. There was a car wash nearby on River Forest Rd. that was discussed in previous threads.

Thank you. Interesting if something gets repeated often enough it eventually becomes a presumed fact.

I don't think we're disagreeing, iamnotagolem. I wrote that they were riding toward River Forest Rd. and I mentioned the discussion on previous threads about the car wash. I was clarifying that we do not have images of the girls riding past the car wash. They could have turned right at River Forest Rd. (or even turned right through the parking lot) and rode past the car wash, but we don't have images that show that is what they did.

That's the thing - we don't know if they rode past the car wash or cut through the parking lot.

We just haven't been told by the L.E. that there is an image of them doing so.

The L.E. would be holding some facts back, as they have in the Delphi case or most cases- to preserve the integrity of the cases.

It would be wonderful if Elizabeth and Lyric's case could be re-examined from the beginning by the L.E. As they say, sometimes a set of fresh eyes...
I think one day they will do this.

The fact that the car wash is there but hadn't been particularly important was part of why JC's Facebook comment struck me so strongly. It seemed like it could be one of those "things only the killer would know."

Of course it could have been totally random and mean nothing. But it sure got my attention.

The fact that the car wash is there but hadn't been particularly important was part of why JC's Facebook comment struck me so strongly. It seemed like it could be one of those "things only the killer would know."

Of course it could have been totally random and mean nothing. But it sure got my attention.

Reading the words in JBC's facebook, "the car wash and the trestle" was startling!

That's why I feel that it is possible that it's something that the L.E. may be "holding back" as they usually do.

We don't know all of the details to know one way or another.

Reading the words in JBC's facebook, "the car wash and the trestle" was startling!

That's why I feel that it is possible that it's something that the L.E. may be "holding back" as they usually do.

We don't know all of the details to know one way or another.

Investigations tend to move at what seems like a glacial pace to us. I'll be surprised if we hear anything either way before the end of the year.

Snipped to highlight the "Iowa Cold Case Bill" that passed.

Iowa cold case bill gets full Iowa Senate support

April 25, 2021
“The reality is we do have cold cases out there and we need justice brought for those victims and the family of those victims.”
Iowa Senate Passes Bill For Dedicated Cold Case Unit

This is such wonderful news, @Tiff23fr ! Thank you so much for sharing this!

The Dedicated Cold Case Unit may be able to solve Elizabeth and Lyric's case!

It is remarkable how these teams can and do solve cold cases!

This is great news for all cold cases in Iowa.

Almost 9 years to the day now. I’ve been thinking about the girls a lot the past week and not because it’s almost the anniversary. These girls brought me to Websleuths and at the time, I had no doubt that this would be solved. How could it not? I had never followed cases like this before but I know better now ;) As the weeks and months and years wore on, I lost more and more hope. I hate to admit it, but several years ago I lost all hope that this case would be solved. Maybe it’s a coping mechanism - because the girls have made such an impact on me and are inadvertently a huge part of my life (I haven’t left Websleuths since then, all because of Elizabeth and Lyric), I’m protecting myself from the constant let down of no arrests/new info.

Anyways, I’ve been thinking of them a lot lately because I’ve been watching the trial of Mark Redwine and Dylan was the second case I followed on Websleuths. I’m confident that justice is coming in that case, but it is a constant reminder that there has been no justice here. I know this isn’t really an uplifting post, but missing/murdered children is an evil reality in this world and sometimes it gets to you. I had a 1 year old and 2 year old when they were taken and now those boys are the same age as the girls were when they went missing. That makes my heart hurt. I’ve taken several breaks from Websleuths over the years when it’s gotten to be too much and I realize I need to look out for myself, and I’ll probably have to do that after the Redwine trial.

I know the effect it has had on me is nothing compared to their loved ones, so that is not lost on me. Thanks for letting me ramble and whine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa