Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #56 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blood in Victim's Home. Arrest Timing?
I suppose but I was thinking of the Kelsey Berreth case and Gannon Stauch cases. The arrests were made shortly after blood evidence was found in the homes and there was no body in either case. JMO
@BeckyF bbm I can only speak to victim Kelsey Berreth case. Difference imo in evidence leading to faster arrest arrest (that is shortly after LE identifying blood)of perp Pat F was his girlfriend's (of a sort) testimony re:
1. Pat's stmts to girlfriend about his actions re Kelsey's disappearance, and
2. her extensive blood cleanup at Kelsey's home and
3. her disposing of Kelsey's remains (or what she & circumstances indicated were the remains).
Trying not to dive into other cases, but those substantial differences likely contrib'ed to sooner arrest of Pat F.

Re timing of BM's arrest, we don't yet know specific evd CCSO has and when they got it. In pre-trial filings/at trial, we'll likely learn why took longer for LE's investigation to compile evd of probable cause for his arrest. A pool of victim's blood is necessarily a 'smoking gun' meriting immed arrest. my2ct.

Earlier today in his excellent post, @OldCop explained a lot about sequences in LE investigations.

Last edited:
Perhaps it wasn't HIS Bobcat. I think Barry's Bobcat was in his driveway, resting quietly even as LE locked up the property that very first night. JMO But I think he may have borrowed more than an attachment, I think he may have borrowed the whole beast. (Which he could have later returned, just without detection. )

I think he may have been serious about getting the wall done, May 11th and days following, but he didn't expect the evening of May 10th to unfold as it did. I think he intended to return on the 11th with his Bobcat to Broomfield....and probably place his order for stock brick on the way ...

If BM headed straight to Broomfield that Sunday morning, was he pulling a trailer? What was on it? If BM returned from Broomfield with a trailer, what was on it?

Was he alone?

Who had keys?

Just my opinions, questions and conjectures
Round trip Salida to Broomfield is approx. 298 miles. BM would have had to stop and gas up somewhere along the way. Gas Stations are full of
CC cameras. They would show exactly what/if BM was towing and if anyone was with him..

JMO, MOO

I don't recall LE mentioning an "incident". I think the Daily Mail published an article using that term in reference to LE's arrest news conference, but the term wasn't used by LE at the conference regarding SM's disappearance/the murder charge -- except to say that BM was arrested without incident.

Husband of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew is charged with murder a year after disappearance | Daily Mail Online
lol, you’re correct I was quoting the DailyMail. I can’t recall everything said at the Press Conference. Damn you DailyMail!!!:

“In a press conference held Wednesday evening, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze and District Attorney Linda Stanley defended their investigation from criticism that it has taken almost 12 months for detectives to make an arrest.

The pair admitted that they do not know Suzanne's cause of death, but implied that they have knowledge of an 'incident' that led to her killing. “

Husband of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew is charged with murder a year after disappearance | Daily Mail Online

I don't think he's had any surgical procedures. My hooded eyes are way worse than his, yet when I do the same expression he's doing there with his eyebrows raised my hoods almost disappear, just like his did.

Either way, he's still a monster that should rot in a cage for the rest of his miserable life.
I don't think he had surgical procedures either. He has a surprise look on his face, his eyebrows raised and when I do that the bags under my eyes are gone. He sure has gotten thinner.

Nor did they have they block. They waited until Tuesday and never heard from BM nor was anything delivered. Such a weak alibi, this will be a big piece of the puzzle!
I wonder if not having a permit to work on the wall repairs in the first place has anything to do with this.

I mean, the alibi is absolutely ridiculous from start to finish. I don't know of any contractor who would drive a couple of hours away and rent a hotel room the day before the supposed wall was to be repaired.

If Barry were so prepared and arrived in advance, you'd think that he'd have all his ducks in a row...Permit, supplies, tools, people well in advance...

As I see it from an outsider's POV, this was an alibi thrown together at the last minute to distance himself away from a crime/crime scene. I mean, he couldn't be home with no wife when the girls arrived. Then, he'd have to say that he saw Suzanne leave on the bike trip...

JMO.

Were they carrying a mortgage on PP home?

It's been discussed that Suzanne had a $500k inheritance that was used to pay for the property, but that still leaves ~ $600k to be paid for.
Barry got a million for his business in Indiana so I assume that helped pay for the price of their home along with the inheritance.

Locating SM?
... makes me think that if Suzanne is ever stumbled upon, it could be by an innocent walker and in a place not near the home but one that is somewhat familiar to the husband...
@SouthAussie sbm Yes, possible that a random person could stumble upon SM's remains. Now, a year post-disappearance, w exposure to CO climate & wildlife -
- if it was a surface or shallow 'burial' likely imo, remains would be skeletonized & scattered. Easy for a random passing person to overlook or mistake for animal bones. Possible tho, once notified, SaR team or LE could detect & recover more, esp'ly w cadaver dogs.
- if her remains had been tightly sealed in a container & deeply buried, doubtful imo, a random passing person would notice anything. SaR? LE? IDK, well, maybe if they were looking for the needle at the right part of the right haystack?
my2ct.

I thought that I heard Chris M. mention that Barry said that Suzanne and he got into a fight before her disappearance. I was shocked at hearing that statement, too!

Surely, I wasn't imagining this one-liner by Chris. Was I? Did anyone else hear him say it? I can't remember if it was on the "It's a Crime" Y/T where he was a guest or his latest Y/T video.

JMO.
I don't remember that! Who would Barry have said that to, LE?

I just recently became aware of this case, so forgive me if opinions on Barry’s possible motives have already been discussed. Since SM’s sister said they were having money problems, I wonder if he had a large life insurance policy on her. Her body hasn’t been found, so if he did, it’s highly unlikely that the insurance company would pay it. As it stands, he’s been selling off their real estate. LE said the murder was committed with deliberation, so it was not a crime of passion. Any thoughts?

I wonder if not having a permit to work on the wall repairs in the first place has anything to do with this.

I mean, the alibi is absolutely ridiculous from start to finish. I don't know of any contractor who would drive a couple of hours away and rent a hotel room the day before the supposed wall was to be repaired.

If Barry were so prepared and arrived in advance, you'd think that he'd have all his ducks in a row...Permit, supplies, tools, people well in advance...

As I see it from an outsider's POV, this was an alibi thrown together at the last minute to distance himself away from a crime/crime scene. I mean, he couldn't be home with no wife when the girls arrived. Then, he'd have to say that he saw Suzanne leave on the bike trip...

JMO.

I also believe the position of the cars in the driveway plays a role here. If the perp moved the cars out of the garage to load something, the GPS in them would show that they turned on and were moved, and when!

I agree with evidence is the home, too, especially given that Andy said he was told the house smelled of bleach. I just can’t see Barry going hands-on with strangulation. That takes time and I think for all his macho bravado, he’s really a coward at heart.

We had a case here in Australia - Novy Chardon has never been found. But her husband John was convicted of murder. He had rented a carpet cleaning machine the day after Novy went missing. And the house smelled of bleach. No blood evidence.

They searched and searched for Novy ... everywhere. Even dug up a car that had been buried by a (shady) person the husband knew. Still nothing.

But they got the husband for murder regardless, primarily due to his house cleaning actions and the fact that Novy had given him a notice of divorce on the night she went missing.

If there was enough blood evidence to preclude continued life for SM, it would either be a substantial amount of blood soaked into the ground or they were in PP, turned out the lights, sprayed luminol and the room lit up like a sunny day.

I thought that I heard Chris M. mention that Barry said that Suzanne and he got into a fight before her disappearance. I was shocked at hearing that statement, too!

Surely, I wasn't imagining this one-liner by Chris. Was I? Did anyone else hear him say it? I can't remember if it was on the "It's a Crime" Y/T where he was a guest or his latest Y/T video.

JMO.

Yes, I did catch that and am surprised it isn’t being talked about because it is new information not disclosed before. CM said it was part of the statement BM gave to LE. He said it was a big argument they got into Friday night.

MOO - I wonder if it wasn’t after that argument that Suzannne sent her sister the lengthy text wanting to talk with her about things and mentioning she was scared.

It also gives insight into Barry’s actions on Saturday based on MG’s observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member