Found Deceased TX - Boy, 7, caught in riptide, Galveston beach, 11 May 21

Peppery

Verified Registered Nurse
Reaction score
US Coast Guard Press Release
Coast Guard searches for missing child in the water near Galveston, Texas

The Coast Guard is searching for a missing seven-year-old male near the
Galveston Seawall near 37th St. and Seawall Boulevard in Galveston, Texas, Tuesday evening.

The child was last seen wearing black shorts.

At approximately 8:09 p.m., Coast Guard Sector Houston-Galveston watchstanders received notification of a seven-year-old male who had gone missing while at the beach with family.

It would be unusual, IMO, for a 7 y/o to know how to swim out of a rip.
Rips are caused by a low trough or rut in the sand below the rip. The receding water from the waves sucks the water out faster than the water around it. That is why it sucks a swimmer out away from shore. The worst rips occur when the tide is outgoing, but they can occur at any time. Rips are perpendicular, or somewhat perpendicular, to the shore. If lifeguards are on the coast, they usually warn about rips by posting signs.

If you get caught in one, don't panic (!), and stop struggling. Get on top of the water -- float -- and then swim perpendicular to the rip -- parallel to the shore. You should swim out of the rip pretty quickly if you're not too tired. Once out of the rip, get to the shore.
If there are surfers with boards in the area, they can often pull you out of a rip by tossing their surfboard rope to you and pulling you out of the rip. I've seen this done a few times. The surfboards are above the rip.

Last edited:
drowning
Search resumes for 8-year-old who drowned in rip current in Galveston

GALVESTON, Texas (KTRK) -- The search resumed Wednesday morning for an 8-year-old who drowned after being caught up in a rip current in Galveston.

Authorities said they were notified around 8:09 p.m. Tuesday that the child had gone missing just off the beach near 37th St. and Seawall Boulevard. He had been at the beach with his family, who were visiting from St. Louis, Missouri.

More here:
Search resumes for 8-year-old who drowned in rip current in Galveston

my baby is 8 :(

There are no words, are there.
I have an 8 y/o granddaughter.

This poor family -- a rip tide can take even a good swimmer out and done in a few minutes.
A child, I just can't...
My thoughts and prayers are with them -- on vacation -- possibly not much experience with how dangerous an ocean can be. JMHO and certainly I could be mistaken.

I was raised near the NC and SC beaches, so even at 8, I knew some of the dangers, and my mother was very watchful and strict when I was in the ocean, and she was a great swimmer. Fortunately, we never had problems, but we went to the beaches often. About a 90 minute drive, we often went just for the day. Oh, how I loved the coast -- and still do!

There are no words, are there.
I have an 8 y/o granddaughter.

This poor family -- a rip tide can take even a good swimmer out and done in a few minutes.
A child, I just can't...
My thoughts and prayers are with them -- on vacation -- possibly not much experience with how dangerous an ocean can be. JMHO and certainly I could be mistaken.

I was raised near the NC and SC beaches, so even at 8, I knew some of the dangers, and my mother was very watchful and strict when I was in the ocean, and she was a great swimmer. Fortunately, we never had problems, but we went to the beaches often. About a 90 minute drive, we often went just for the day. Oh, how I loved the coast -- and still do!

my sister was carried out by a rip current once about this same age, luckily the beach did have a lifeguard and taught us about them but scary....

Same here, @adelynschmidt. I praying for all of them, too.
As we already know, the US Coast Guard have performed many miracles on the sea, but this may be a tuff one. They don't give up quickly, that's for sure. SMH

I just can't imagine what his family is enduring. Their little boy, just gone. May he rest in peace, and may his family somehow find solace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back