Greece - Caroline Crouch, 20, Murdered, Athens, May 11, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he was still handcuffed (taped) to the chair? But then who called the police?
I don't know how reliable this is, but here goes -

The murdered woman's husband managed to call the police by pressing the phone buttons with his nose.

Γλυκά Νερά: Εικόνες και βίντεο από το σπίτι της άγριας ληστείας μετά φόνου | ΤΑ ΝΕΑ

(Ta Nea (Greek: Τα Νέα; Translation: The News) is a daily newspaper published in Athens. Ta Nea - Wikipedia )

If the people who attacked knew about the couple (had been watching their house etc) surely they would have anticipated the dog being an issue? Strangling the dog seems like an odd and not particularly easy way to kill it IMO. So cruel.

This is really such a horrific crime, and my heart goes out to the woman's family and her baby.

A lot of things don't seem to add up - but then I think a lot of things have been mistranslated in the British press.

I don't know how reliable this is, but here goes -

The murdered woman's husband managed to call the police by pressing the phone buttons with his nose.

Γλυκά Νερά: Εικόνες και βίντεο από το σπίτι της άγριας ληστείας μετά φόνου | ΤΑ ΝΕΑ

(Ta Nea (Greek: Τα Νέα; Translation: The News) is a daily newspaper published in Athens. Ta Nea - Wikipedia )
That must be some big old phone with giant buttons on it if he managed to dial the right numbers with his nose with tapes over his eyes. I haven’t seen those in decades.
But I suspect many of the discrepancies we think we see are the results of errors in translation.

That must be some big old phone with giant buttons on it if he managed to dial the right numbers with his nose with tapes over his eyes. I haven’t seen those in decades.
But I suspect many of the discrepancies we think we see are the results of errors in translation.
In this case it's not an error in translation.

με τη μύτη του

me ti miti tou = with his nose

Another conflicting report (in the DM)

A neighbour who was the first to be alerted to the tragedy after being called by Babis, described what happened as the baby was brought out.

She told MailOnline: 'I came outside and I saw the police were here. Babis was in shock and could not speak.

'Babis was holding the baby. I went inside and got a blanket to wrap up the baby. The grandmother came and took the baby.

'Babis and the baby are being cared for by the mother.'

The neighbour added that Babis had been able to raise the alarm by using his nose to dial his phone and call the most recent dialled number, which was hers.

She took the early-morning call, but initially could not understand what was being said because Babis had been gagged.

She said: 'He was screaming, he was screaming but I could not understand what he was saying because his mouth was gagged.

'I thought it was a medical problem. I went outside to investigate and I saw and then I knew it was much more important.

'Earlier in the night I heard the dog barking but I thought he must be fighting with the cats, they have four cats.

'I only wish I had come to investigate sooner.'

[...]

Police were called to the scene by Mr Anagnostopoulos who managed to get to a phone and dial the emergency number with his nose.

Greece burglary murder: Woman's daughter was 'trying to wake her up' as police arrived | Daily Mail Online

It doesn't sound as if the neighbour called the police though, so maybe both are correct.

Another conflicting report (in the DM)

A neighbour who was the first to be alerted to the tragedy after being called by Babis, described what happened as the baby was brought out.

She told MailOnline: 'I came outside and I saw the police were here. Babis was in shock and could not speak.

'Babis was holding the baby. I went inside and got a blanket to wrap up the baby. The grandmother came and took the baby.

'Babis and the baby are being cared for by the mother.'

The neighbour added that Babis had been able to raise the alarm by using his nose to dial his phone and call the most recent dialled number, which was hers.

She took the early-morning call, but initially could not understand what was being said because Babis had been gagged.

She said: 'He was screaming, he was screaming but I could not understand what he was saying because his mouth was gagged.

'I thought it was a medical problem. I went outside to investigate and I saw and then I knew it was much more important.

'Earlier in the night I heard the dog barking but I thought he must be fighting with the cats, they have four cats.

'I only wish I had come to investigate sooner.'

[...]

Police were called to the scene by Mr Anagnostopoulos who managed to get to a phone and dial the emergency number with his nose.

Greece burglary murder: Woman's daughter was 'trying to wake her up' as police arrived | Daily Mail Online

It doesn't sound as if the neighbour called the police though, so maybe both are correct.

Yeah, clear as mud...

I hope that little child never ever will remember any of this, not even a fragment of it subconsciously.

So if that article is correct the most recently dialled number was that of his neighbour. Yet another mysterious detail, imo.
I’m actually more inclined to believe someone could hit redial with their nose than blindly be able to dial the emergency number that way, although 112 might not be so difficult to dial blindly? I don’t know.
But as the neighbor seemingly arrived when the police was there, the father must have managed that too. This seems impossible to me to do on a mobile phone, so they must have had some older landline phone at home.
Or the neighbor might have called the police before getting over there and took him/her a long time to dress?
It’s all so confusing.

Hello everyone, new member here. I'm Greek, and for the past two days, this case is all you hear about in the news, since, as many pointed out, such crimes in Greece are rather unusual, especially ones that involve such brutality. I haven't had the time to go through all the posts, or study the case in depth, and all the conflicting reports are making it very difficult to follow. However, if you need any help with the translation or any clarification, I'd be glad to help.
I also thought, since the moment I heard about the news, that the details the husband provided indeed don't add up. However, until possible evidence that suggests otherwise comes out, I hope, for the baby's sake, that he's not involved.
May sweet Caroline rest in peace

Just linking this here - Open TV has a new brief-ish interview with the husband in the second half. Hopefully someone might be able to translate - my very basic knowledge of Greek is from Cyprus which is slightly different and not up to the standard of crime reporting.

Hello everyone, new member here. I'm Greek, and for the past two days, this case is all you hear about in the news, since, as many pointed out, such crimes in Greece are rather unusual, especially ones that involve such brutality. I haven't had the time to go through all the posts, or study the case in depth, and all the conflicting reports are making it very difficult to follow. However, if you need any help with the translation or any clarification, I'd be glad to help.
I also thought, since the moment I heard about the news, that the details the husband provided indeed don't add up. However, until possible evidence that suggests otherwise comes out, I hope, for the baby's sake, that he's not involved.
Welcome to Websleuths @caylee17799.
Looking forward to your input.

I was hoping the original reporting in Greece is more clear, but I guess that’s not the case there either.

Hello and welcome to WS!

I hadn't seen your post when I was making my post and asking for a translation of the video. But would you mind?

First of all thank you for the welcome wishes!
In this particular video he doesn't say anything significant, just that all police units are working non-stop the past 3 days to find out who did this, and if someone can find out it's them. He also adds that his baby daughter is ok, was taken to the hospital to get checked, but has not suffered any injuries. The reporter, however, at the beginning, relays additional information that the husband shared, specifically that he had not realized his wife was dead, up until the point the police came and untied him.

First of all thank you for the welcome wishes!
In this particular video he doesn't say anything significant, just that all police units are working non-stop the past 3 days to find out who did this, and if someone can find out it's them. He also adds that his baby daughter is ok, was taken to the hospital to get checked, but has not suffered any injuries. The reporter, however, at the beginning, relays additional information that the husband shared, specifically that he had not realized his wife was dead, up until the point the police came and untied him.
Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members