Greece - Caroline Crouch, 20, Murdered, Athens, May 11, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading about the Julia James case in British media, I came across this horrific murder of Caroline Crouch. My spidey senses started to tingle right away.
I went looking for this thread to see if others also feel the same way and huh, ya, many do. Well, the details will come out in time.

Just linking this here - Open TV has a new brief-ish interview with the husband in the second half. Hopefully someone might be able to translate - my very basic knowledge of Greek is from Cyprus which is slightly different and not up to the standard of crime reporting.

Still curious, I started pasting some of the Greek comments from the youtube link into an online translator and from a good chunk of them, it appears that the strange scenario that the husband is presenting is tripping their spidey sense as well.

Last edited:
I'm not liking the body language.

I could be wrong though.
Me neither. But if something terrible like this happens to someone, they might feel very confused, ashamed it happened on their watch and could be suffering from survival’s guilt, and as a result they might act strange. They might even look guilty because they do feel guilty.
I have no idea. It’s weird to watch someone while not understanding a word they are saying.

Because of all the conflicting info I really don’t know what to think. Maybe as time goes by pieces of info will be clarified and it will begin to make some more sense. Mind you, not the murder itself but the circumstances at least.

ETA:
I do have this nagging feeling of here we go again, but it could be completely unfounded. And we should not forget that on this forum the husband is deemed innocent victim until LE says otherwise.

Last edited:
He does act very strangely, but I can't decide if it's a "I'm somehow involved in my wife's tragic death" or a "I just experienced a horrifying home invasion, during which mine and my baby's life was threatened and my wife was brutally killed" kind of strangely. As the reporter stated, he just now appears to realize what happened, he's definetely in shock, and might have even taken some meds to help him cope. I surely hope that's the case, and that we'll all be proved wrong.

Last edited:
In your experience, is it common in Greece to refer to police and reporters as children, as the husband did in his short interview with reporters?

Is there an equivalent in the English language?

bottom video in this article

Γλυκά Νερά / Σε εξέλιξη οι έρευνες της αστυνομίας - Οι πρώτες δηλώσεις του 32χρονου

In the Greek language there are often many different meanings than the literal meaning. This is why Google translate fails frequently (although it can be between 50-75% effective depending on the context).

Literally he called them children, but this word is frequently used similar to how you would say "guys" in American English or "lads" in British English.

So used in this context the husband is saying basically "I think that the police are (good) lads and therefore they'll find the perps." I infer the good part from the context.

And when he says it in reference to the reporters he's saying basically, "Come on, lads, I've got to get going, so don't ask me any more questions."

rbbm.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14944787/husband-brit-mum-killed-burglars-tears-murder-reconstruction/

''Cops reconstructed the chilling murder after entering a scene of horror where raiders had strangled Caroline Crouch, 20, and tied up her pilot husband in an upmarket suburb of Athens.''

“We’re a small island, everyone knew Caroline who had been schooled here and was one of our own," he said.

“She was lovely, a girl scout and brilliant in martial arts. They were the perfect couple, so in love, so happy, but unfortunately fate didn’t smile on them,” he added, saying the pair had first met on the island.

“To think that she is gone, at such a tender age and so unfairly is very hard," he said.

"We are all very shocked, very upset.”

''Caroline’s body was expected to be returned to the island today ahead of a funeral taking place at 3pm tomorrow.

Her dad, David, who is gravely sick, had not left the villa he had built overlooking the sea since news of his daughter’s death had first emerged.''

Detectives have reportedly drawn up a "red list" of 100 suspects including foreigners and Greek nationals who have recently been freed from jail.

''They are also probing possible links to five other robberies last year, which were also characterised by shocking levels of violence.''

'But according to newsit.gr murder cops are looking at whether the information came from within the couple’s inner circle.

"We are concentrating on the mistakes they made," one well-placed police source told the Sun.

"They may have seen themselves as 'professional burglars' but they were in the house for a long time, for more than an hour at least, and there is a lot of DNA that has helped us in the inquiry.

"They literally turned over the house, went through every drawer, closet and cupboard and Caroline put up a fight."

In the Greek language there are often many different meanings than the literal meaning. This is why Google translate fails frequently (although it can be between 50-75% effective depending on the context).

Literally he called them children, but this word is frequently used similar to how you would say "guys" in American English or "lads" in British English.

So used in this context the husband is saying basically "I think that the police are (good) lads and therefore they'll find the perps." I infer the good part from the context.

And when he says it in reference to the reporters he's saying basically, "Come on, lads, I've got to get going, so don't ask me any more questions."
Thank you, I wondered if guys would be a good substitute, but I had also wondered if coming from a youngish man it was in any way inappropriate or condescending to refer to police who might be older than him as children. It appears not, and that's why it's good to have clarification. Thanks again.

I reckon I could dial 112 with my nose, with my eyes shut, if my dial pad was up, based on my experimenting (don’t want to actually go thro to emergency services here)I haven’t managed to get into my phone app yet with my eyes closed.

the poor baby
if the husband did it (* even in a rage fit ).. would he do it infront of his baby and then go to hang the dog..that's in the psychopath style and he looks like he is normal
I’m more inclined to think IF the husband is involved that someone else was paid to do it and he was taped to a chair as an alibi after the fact. However that is still a big IF.
He is right now still a victim. He might just act strange because of a traumatic experience and has done nothing wrong.

I reckon I could dial 112 with my nose, with my eyes shut, if my dial pad was up, based on my experimenting (don’t want to actually go thro to emergency services here)I haven’t managed to get into my phone app yet with my eyes closed.

Remember, you are tied to a chair, you can’t use your hands, you can’t use your eyes and mouth. You better remember where the phone was left, get to it restrained, the phone better have real buttons on it, the dial pad better be up, and the furniture it is on better be at the height you can reach sitting taped to a chair. I don’t think this is impossible but is quite a trick to do.
The other thing I’m hung up on is the report he said they held a gun to his baby’s head, but he had tape on his eyes so how could he have seen this?

It could all just be bad and sensationalist reporting. We will see.

I also tried to dial both 112 and 100 (the number specifically for police emergencies we widely use here-I think I read that's what he dialed as well) using my nose and with my eyes covered as an experiment. I failed at all tries, but I still wouldn't call it impossible. I mean, under high stress situations and when their life is in danger, people seem to be capable of highly unlikely things. Many details in this case could point to something other than the original story told, but I would say this is not one of them.

I’m more inclined to think IF the husband is involved that someone else was paid to do it and he was taped to a chair as an alibi after the fact. However that is still a big IF.
He is right now still a victim. He might just act strange because of a traumatic experience and has done nothing wrong.
this is greece tho.. not the US where crimes like what you say is likely
and what the motive for something so very brutal would be ?

The other thing I’m hung up on is the report he said they held a gun to his baby’s head, but he had tape on his eyes so how could he have seen this?

It could all just be bad and sensationalist reporting. We will see.

I think the biggest amount of confusion stems exactly from the fact that it's unclear where he was during his wife's ordeal and in what condition (tied/untied, eyes covered/uncovered etc), and that could make him look more suspicious than he actually is. For example, early on I had read that he managed to untie himself and call the cops, while today, it was reported that it was actually the police who untied him. I guess since the investigation is still at an early stage, and there's information pouring from everywhere, the media are just sharing whatever, without being able to verify it first. I hope that, in the next days, we can get a more clear view of the situation.

this is greece tho.. not the US where crimes like what you say is likely
and what the motive for something so very brutal would be ?
In one of the article linked before they said there were some other brutal crimes. No country is immun. I’m a European myself.
Motive for such crimes most of the times are money, revenge, sex, the partner who is in the way of a new love interest,a partner who wants to leave etc.

I made sure to say in my posts that I’m not accusing the husband, I simply have some questions. I also made sure to note that maybe all the discrepancies are because of bad reporting. It wouldn’t be the first time.

Last edited:
I think the biggest amount of confusion stems exactly from the fact that it's unclear where he was during his wife's ordeal and in what condition (tied/untied, eyes covered/uncovered etc), and that could make him look more suspicious than he actually is. For example, early on I had read that he managed to untie himself and call the cops, while today, it was reported that it was actually the police who untied him. I guess since the investigation is still at an early stage, and there's information pouring from everywhere, the media are just sharing whatever, without being able to verify it first. I hope that, in the next days, we can get a more clear view of the situation.
I agree and I too hope in the next few days things will become more clear.

Good evening,
Just joined this site as I too was perplexed when I read about this case and especially after I saw the very composed husbands tv interview, not a tear or any emotion on show.
My questions, had he taken out life insurance for his wife?
Was he secretly seeing someone else?
Why would the strongest hostage who posed the greatest physical threat be left unhurt and the most vulnerable be murdered, just doesnt make sense.
I will follow this very closely to see what develops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member