CT - Kevin Jiang, 26, Yale grad student, fatally shot off campus, New Haven, 6 Feb 2021 *ARREST*

What is Pan's citizanship? I don't know if I have heard. If he is not a Chinese citizen, he would need a visa to enter China. If he is traveling under a US passport, that would have been detected if he flew out of the US or entered another country. I think he is still in the US.
Is it possible to have dual citizenship in the US?

Is it possible to have dual citizenship in the US?
I believe that our government neither affirms nor actively refutes people with dual citizenship. So.... dual citizenship has become increasingly common in practice.

As a side note, a German I met on vacation told me that German citizenship and benefits end immediately if a German citizen takes a loyalty oath to another country.

He also told that the German government has arrangements with other nations to be informed of this and will actively track down and terminate people (well, citizenship and benefits wise).

Last edited:
I believe that our government neither affirms nor actively refutes people with dual citizenship. So.... dual citizenship has become increasingly common in practice.

As a side note, a German I met on vacation told me that German citizenship and benefits end immediately if a German citizen takes a loyalty oath to another country.

He also told that the German government has arrangements with other nations to be informed of this and will actively track down and terminate people (well, citizenship and benefits wise).
That's... interesting. My country allows dual citizenship, it never even crossed my mind that's not the case for everyone.

If he was suicidal, would he go to all the trouble of stealing automobile, switching plates and changing his phone number??? Sounds like he was trying to buy time....

I don't know much about Chinese culture but am curious if their culture would make his family more or less likely to turn him in if they knew where he was?

What is Pan's citizanship? I don't know if I have heard. If he is not a Chinese citizen, he would need a visa to enter China. If he is traveling under a US passport, that would have been detected if he flew out of the US or entered another country. I think he is still in the US.
It has been said earlier in the thread that Pan was born in Shanghai China. That would make him a Chinese citizen.

Even if he had spent years in the US, I suppose he may still be able to obtain a new Chinese passport at a consulate or embassy in the US?

Embassy and Consulates General of the People's Republic of China — Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America

Interesting that they are still listing Houston on that page... because it was closed last year
U.S. Orders China to Close Houston Consulate, Citing Efforts to Steal Trade Secrets

It has been said earlier in the thread that Pan was born in Shanghai China. That would make him a Chinese citizen.

Even if he had spent years in the US, I suppose he may still be able to obtain a new Chinese passport at a consulate or embassy in the US?

Embassy and Consulates General of the People's Republic of China — Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America

Interesting that they are still listing Houston on that page... because it was closed last year
U.S. Orders China to Close Houston Consulate, Citing Efforts to Steal Trade Secrets
Even assuming he is a Chinese citizen with a Chinese passport, if he flew out of the US, he would have had to present that passport and he would have been detected. So I think he is still in the US.

Just came across this (Yale Postdoctoral Association) tweet when looking for updates on the story and thought it was interesting:

Upon the recent tragic loss of Kevin Jiang, actions are needed to prevent future violence. In this short survey (anonymous, 2 questions) the YPA wants to hear your concerns about public safety.

https://t.co/biZMlSE6qh

New Haven police, U.S. marshals 'working diligently' to find Qinxuan Pan

The search for Qinxuan Pan, expected to be charged on a warrant in the slaying of a Yale graduate student, continued Friday, more than a month after Pan was initially named a person of interest in the case by New Haven police. U.S. Marshal Matthew Duffy confirmed Pan remained at large.

Malden, Mass. police announced Wednesday that they, along with firefighters, Massachusetts state police and an ambulance service, had conducted a well-being check that day at a Clifton Street home listed as Pan’s last known address in a warrant for his arrest out of Mansfield, Mass.

“Their purpose was to conduct a well being check for the homeowners who had not been seen lately. Mail had accumulated and their vehicle had not been moved for an extended period,” Malden police said on Facebook. “Upon checking the entire premises it was determined that there were no people inside the residence. All public safety personnel cleared the scene and the street was reopened to vehicle traffic.”

Jiang was shot to death on Lawrence Street in the city’s East Rock neighborhood Feb. 6. His fellow students and members of Trinity Baptist Church, where he volunteered, have been raising funds to support his family. He had proposed to his fiancee, Zion Perry, a week before his death.

Before the search was expanded nationwide, the U.S. Marshals office for Connecticut reported Pan, a graduate student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, “could possibly be staying with friends or family in the Duluth or Brookhaven areas” of Georgia.

NEW HAVEN — U.S. Marshals have obtained an Interpol “red notice,” defined as “a request to law enforcement worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition, surrender, or similar legal action,” as the search for Qinxuan Pan continues.

New Haven police obtained a warrant charging Pan with the slaying of Kevin Jiang, a graduate student at Yale, in late February. The department had named him as a person of interest in the case Feb. 10. The search for Pan was expanded nationwide on March 1.

Jiang was shot to death on Lawrence Street in the city’s East Rock neighborhood Feb. 6.

U.S. Marshal Matthew Duffy said Tuesday that the agency, in securing the Interpol notice, had not ruled anything out considering Pan’s whereabouts.

“The U.S. Marshals and the New Haven Police Department are still working diligently on this fugitive case,” said Duffy.

A red notice, according to Interpol’s website, “is an international wanted persons notice, but it is not an arrest warrant.”

“Red Notices are published by INTERPOL at the request of a member country, and must comply with INTERPOL’s Constitution and Rules. A Red Notice is not an international arrest warrant,” Interpol officials said on their website. “They are used to simultaneously alert police in all our member countries about internationally wanted fugitives. Police in other countries can then be on the watch for them and use the Red Notice to support extradition proceedings.”
U.S. Marshals secure Interpol 'red notice' for man accused of slaying Yale graduate student (nhregister.com)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back