GUILTY FL - Tristyn Bailey, 13, found deceased, St Johns Co, 9 May 2021 *14 yo Arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, okay, a fourteen year old's brain isn't fully developed. Tristyn's, at thirteen, wasn't either and never will be. A fourteen year old doesn't have impulse control. Tristyn, at thirteen, didn't either and never will have. A fourteen year old cannot phantom the consequences of his actions, Tristyn, at thirteen, couldn't have either and never will. Because of the fourteen year old. This wasn't a "oops" situation that resulted in unintended death. Whatever happens to him will still be better than what he did to her. His freedoms and considerations ended when he ended hers. In my opinion only.

I wonder if they went in deeper into investigating the bigger picture.. was this completely a solo act? or was there more parties involved.. was he provoked or pushed by other kids.. did she receive any bullying or threats
This is purely speculation but maybe AF was having a heart to heart conversation with TB on behalf of a girlfriend who may have been outed by the popular girls? That would make more sense to me from a crime of passion angle and would add a third party hiding in the woods to help overtake TB. Again, only speculation. There is no evidence for this theory.

I believe many on this thread would reconsider their position if a person such as AF got rehabilitation, was released back into the public and then killed a loved one of the people who believe he should get a second chance because he is 14. When put like that, many begin to do a 360.
Keeping someone like this in jail CAN SAVE LIVES.

As for the selfie in the back of the patrol car, could it be possible AF was legitimately asking if anyone has seen Tristyn lately because he has been hauled away for questioning as the last person seeing her alive? I don't know how we can read smugness from the question or peace sign he gives. What would your 14 year old reaction be in such a situation? s

I know this is your opinion and that's what we are entitled to state on Websleuths. Respectfully, IMO I disagree.

If you are stating that it's possible in your opinion for AF to have been legitimately inquiring as to if anyone has seen Tristyn, I have to say I don't understand that. Do you believe that he genuinely thought she was missing? Isn't there video of them walking into the woods together in the middle of the night, and only AF emerging? If indeed she just took off, let's say, in some other direction and he was genuinely puzzled as to her whereabouts, wouldn't he have been shaken up? Calling for her? Alerting 911? Crying and babbling to his parents and investigators that he has JUST seen her and now she was lost? I'm not even talking about evidence such as his bloody clothes, I'm just talking about the expected reaction from an innocent 14-year old to his friend going missing.

I can tell you my reaction as a 15- year old when my friends went missing. It was summer 1973, I was going to begin my senior year, then two kids I knew from high school went missing and all of us were so shaken and still are. There's a WS thread for them, Mitch and Bonnie. They're the longest-lasting case of missing teenagers, still. None of us were around as suspects, it was summer vacation, but all of us were in disbelief and shock. We wouldn't have flashed peace signs and been calm or poker-faced in a police car. We didn't have cell phones, of course, but if any of us had been the last ones to see Mitch and Bonnie, we would have called that in the second we lost sight of them. After 48 years, I still get upset thinking about what may have happened to them. That's my response to what I would have done as a 14-year old, though I was fifteen.

IMO this was a cold-blooded murder. I think he was charged with second-degree, so as of now they don't think it was premeditated, or they don't have the evidence yet. Yes, maybe possibly perhaps he will grow and mature and change and regret what he did. It's also possible that if he was cold and heartless enough to do this, which a 14-year old knows is wrong, then if he gets out of prison at a young age he will be a recidivist. IMO he's just getting started. Who wants to be the next one at the end of his knife?

Last edited:
If a 14-year old first-time murderer can't be rehabilitated, then no one can. <modsnip> I don't know what the courts and psychologists will say about him nor do I know all the details yet, so I can't really say what type of sentence I think he deserves as of right now. However, everyone on the internet has decided they know this kid and that he is beyond redemption. None of us have nearly enough information yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
All that follows is my opinion. Law Enforcement is keeping their cards close to their chests. I can appreciate that. This is a highly emotional case. A girl has been murdered. As for empathy and remorse, we have no idea how AF behaved in the interrogation room. Have you seen anything more of him than what has been released? It is telling AF is charged with delinquency and not murder right now. I can assume it is to detain him while the investigation continues. As for the selfie in the back of the patrol car, could it be possible AF was legitimately asking if anyone has seen Tristyn lately because he has been hauled away for questioning as the last person seeing her alive? I don't know how we can read smugness from the question or peace sign he gives. What would your 14 year old reaction be in such a situation? Is it possible someone else met TB and AF in the woods in those early morning hours? I have many more questions than I have answers and I am not ready to call this kid a sociopath or murderer.
I disagree with the statement that AF did not seem smug and may have been truly concerned, when asking if anyone had seen her lately, as he flashed the peace sign.

If he was truly concerned it would have shown on his face. He seemed smug and arrogant, not sincere and concerned, in my opinion.

If he was not involved, he probably wouldn't have blood on the clothing, found in his room.

I worked in the principals office of a middle school, for many years. I had a lot of experience interacting with 13 and 14 yr olds, as they were brought in to the office, for various infractions. There was a wide variety of attitudes seen. Some students were sincere, frightened, apologetic and eager to clear up the issues. Some didn't really care and thought it was all a joke.

Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, I don't know. But something about AF's demeanour--the way he holds himself, his slight smile, brushing back his hair, acting as if he has an audience, makes me think he is arrogant and callous.

In my experience, kids use the peace sign as 'Peace Out' ---a way to bounce, a sign they are signing off.

I don't see anything that leads me to believe he was truly asking for help in finding out where she was or what happened to her. JMO MOO

If a 14-year old first-time murderer can't be rehabilitated, then no one can. <modsnip> I don't know what the courts and psychologists will say about him nor do I know all the details yet, so I can't really say what type of sentence I think he deserves as of right now. However, everyone on the internet has decided they know this kid and that he is beyond redemption. None of us have nearly enough information yet.

Thank you!! Rehabilitation, therapy, proper intervention can work. And I believe it should be attempted in youthful offenders.

I agree with concerns raised upthread about the binary approach of our current system (free at 21 versus life in prison... it makes no sense to have only these two options and we can’t always predict which youthful offenders will be rehabilitated).

But bottom line, I’ll join my few, brave fellow sleuthers in bucking the popular opinion to put this kid away for life with no chance at rehabilitation. Just as I do not want to see the 14 year old PA girl who stabbed her disabled sister to death face life in prison with no chance of rehabilitation. The online mob wants these kids executed. I dissent.

Thank you!! Rehabilitation, therapy, proper intervention can work. And I believe it should be attempted in youthful offenders.

I agree with concerns raised upthread about the binary approach of our current system (free at 21 versus life in prison... it makes no sense to have only these two options and we can’t always predict which youthful offenders will be rehabilitated).

But bottom line, I’ll join my few, brave fellow sleuthers in bucking the popular opinion to put this kid away for life with no chance at rehabilitation. Just as I do not want to see the 14 year old PA girl who stabbed her disabled sister to death face life in prison with no chance of rehabilitation. The online mob wants these kids executed. I dissent.
The two boys who killed Jamie Bulger were released when they were 21 after going through years of rehabilitation and education. I believe that even now they are monitored which is why one of them keeps being caught with SCAM.
Interestingly, the one who was deemed to be the leader in this crime, has stayed out of trouble.

I think the sociopathic element comes from the lack of empathy and remorse displayed by AF when he was in the police car. It's obvious enough that it is antisocial behavior to stab a friend to death. His behavior upon capture does suggest a sociopathic tendency. A selfie in the police car and smugly asking if "anyone has seen Tristyn lately" is a reliable indicator of antisocial behavior.

If some evil impulse had overwhelmed AF and he lost his mind for a moment, if he didn't have sociopathic tendencies he would have been sobbing, apologizing, or making excuses such as he feared for his life around Tristyn.

The Macdonald Triad makes some sense, IMO, but it is not universally accepted. Bedwetting, in particular, may cause a child to be angry and frustrated, but is not in itself a violent act like animal abuse and pyromania.

IMO the Zoom conference is a moot point. He was instructed how to behave to minimize the trouble he was in. It's the murder, the overkill, and the smirking lack of remorse that is very, very troubling.

Arkay, you are very bright and make a lot of sense regarding a senseless and diabolical murder! JMO

Last edited:
MOD NOTE -

This thread is veering off into a larger generalized debate about youthful offenders. You may state your opinion. However, if others have a different opinion than you do, this thread is NOT the place to debate how to handle juvenile crime in general. Move on and do not reply with an argument. This thread is about one specific crime, and until we hear more details about the facts in this case, there is no room for arguing or debating. If you engage in that kind of conflict on this thread, your posts maybe edited, removed, and posting privileges may be limited. Ignoring this warning will be considered a violation of TOS.

Treatment is scarce in US institutions, except for those few who are reprimanded to psychiatric hospitals, even so, recidivism of further serious crime is low for juvenile murderers who are institutionalized in a juvenile facility, specifically for juveniles who murdered due to an interpersonal conflict, not in commission of another crime, (robbery, gang activity etc).
This study goes into much more detail on this subject and some of it is specific to Florida juvenile facilities.
It also has info on psychological influences on the developing brain of children who murder, before and after the crime.

Reposting
BBM
What Treatments Do We Have for Children and Adolescents Who Have Killed?http://jaapl.org/content/jaapl/20/1/47.full.pdf

“Placement in juvenile offender institutions is a not infrequent disposition for the child or adolescent who has committed a murderous act, and may be the only "treatment" that is afforded. Typically, a bare minimum of mental health care is available at best, and reasons for this are usually due to insufficient financial resources and an inadequate understanding of this population's psychological needs. Interestingly, the institutional placement approach seems to work in a significant number of cases when lack of recidivism (no committal of further serious crimes) is used as the criterion for successful treatment.”

MOD NOTE -

This thread is veering off into a larger generalized debate about youthful offenders. You may state your opinion. However, if others have a different opinion than you do, this thread is NOT the place to debate how to handle juvenile crime in general. Move on and do not reply with an argument. This thread is about one specific crime, and until we hear more details about the facts in this case, there is no room for arguing or debating. If you engage in that kind of conflict on this thread, your posts maybe edited, removed, and posting privileges may be limited. Ignoring this warning will be considered a violation of TOS.

Sorry, I didn’t see this when I posted, if my post is inappropriate, please remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd