MO MO - Young woman Jumps into Mississippi River, Hannibal, June 1921

Startover

Reaction score
At Hannibal Missouri a Young woman estimated to be about 19 got off the west bound Wabash train and walked across the Wabash bridge from East Hannibal. She was seen to tear up a piece of paper before jumping off the bridge into Mississippi river.
The Rock Island Argus and daily union June 2, 1921 p1
The Rock Island Argus and daily union. (Rock Island, Ill.) 1920-1923, June 02, 1921, Image 1

Apparently not listed on Namus, Charley Project or Doe network

If nobody recognized her before she got off the train, it must not have been her usual route. Did you have to give your name when buying a train ticket back then? Did they recover the paper or her body?

Attachments

• 9BCA3A37-C9DD-4435-83D9-1436874E7B7E.jpeg
    9BCA3A37-C9DD-4435-83D9-1436874E7B7E.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 24
as regard to her motive..a broken heart can shatter a persons whole world.....as regarding the train...I dont know about names...a train ticket could have told where she got on to it...if fould it would have given investigators a place to start...

Last edited:
Sorry the account doesnt tell if her remains were found or if the torn paper which could have given a clue to her identity....was ever found as well
The newspaper clipping states her body was not recovered. At least not at the time of publication anyway. I don’t know the topography of the Mississippi River banks. Perhaps it washed up later on and there was a newspaper report on it. We may never know tho.

The stuff ghost stories are made of.
Absolutely!!!!
I can imagine the pilgrimages that are made to that location with ghost boxes and so forth. Poor girl. I wish someone had of been around to talk to her at the time and tell her that God will often clear someone out of our lives to make room for the one we are meant to be with. God Bless her soul.

Amateur opinion and speculation

as regard to her motive..a broken heart can shatter a persons whole world.....as regarding the train...I dont know about names...a train ticket could have told where she got on to it...if fould it would have given investigators a place to start...

In those days, I doubt that much ID was required to travel.

It is possible that someone wrote something on Ancestry if the family knew the story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back