CA CA - Maria Loida Tice, 60, Heaton Flat Trail, 13 Feb 2021

TheMadScientist

Reaction score
Deputies searching for missing hiker near Iron Mountain in Angeles National Forest

user69752-1613765149-media1

Last edited by a moderator:
Maria Loida Tice | State of California - Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

MISSING PERSON
Maria Loida Tice

Maria-Tice-538146.jpg

MISSING SINCE: 02/17/2021
SEX: Female
DOB: 05/21/1960
RACE: Filipino
HEIGHT: 5' 4"
EYES: Brown
WEIGHT: 130 lbs.
HAIR: Brown
OTHER IDENTIFIER: Wears glasses
DENTAL X-RAYS AVAILABLE: No

Maria was last seen on February 17, 2021, in Glendora.

Contact
AGENCY: Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office
PHONE NUMBER: (323) 890-5500
CASE NUMBER: 210087808

(*noting "last seen" date discrepancy–2/17 here vs. 2/13 in LASD missing poster)

Maria Loida Tice | State of California - Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

MISSING PERSON
Maria Loida Tice

View attachment 289259

MISSING SINCE: 02/17/2021
SEX: Female
DOB: 05/21/1960
RACE: Filipino
HEIGHT: 5' 4"
EYES: Brown
WEIGHT: 130 lbs.
HAIR: Brown
OTHER IDENTIFIER: Wears glasses
DENTAL X-RAYS AVAILABLE: No

Maria was last seen on February 17, 2021, in Glendora.

Contact
AGENCY: Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office
PHONE NUMBER: (323) 890-5500
CASE NUMBER: 210087808

(*noting "last seen" date discrepancy–2/17 here vs. 2/13 in LASD missing poster)

As someone who has been following the case closely, I can say that the 2/13 "last seen" date is correct. JMO

Sierra Madre Search and Rescue searches for Maria Tice – Sierra Madre Search and Rescue

April 2021
The Sierra Madre Search and Rescue Team (SMSR) has been assisting San Dimas Mountain Rescue Team (SDMRT) in the search for Maria Loida Tice. This 60 year old woman is missing after heading out on a hike to Iron Mountain with a Meetup group on Saturday February 13th.

She was last seen by other hikers around noon as she was nearing the summit and still hiking towards the top.

Members of the Meetup group Tice was hiking with summited before her and saw her on their descent. She still wanted to continue to the summit. Tice was not reported missing until Wednesday February 17th by concerned coworkers.

I would think that tracking dogs should be able to find a missing hiker fairly easy if they know the trail.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP82578

thumbnail

Missing Age 60 Years
Current Age 61 Years

First Name Maria
Middle Name Loida
Last Name Tice
Sex Female
Race/Ethnicity Other
Height 5'-4" - (64 - inches)
Weight 130 - lbs

Date of Last Contact February 17, 2021
NamUs Case Created July 26, 2021
Last Known Location (Map)
Location San Gabriel, California
County Los Angeles County

Circumstances of Disappearance The missing went hiking on the Iron Mountain Trail on 02-13-2021 in the San Gabriel Mountains and did not return. Her vehicle was located at the Heaton Flats Parking Lot. All searches of the trail have not yielded any information.

Circumstances Notes Maria Loida Tice

Hair Color Brown
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown
Eye Description wears glasses

Maria Loida Tice – The Charley Project

Casefile added March 18 2022

Maria Loida Tice
  • tice_maria.jpg

Details of Disappearance

Tice was last seen in San Gabriel, California on February 13, 2021. She went hiking with a group on the Iron Mountain Trail in the San Gabriel Mountains. This particular hike is known as one of the most strenuous hikes in Southern California.

She was last seen by other hikers between 11:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m., as she was nearing the summit of Iron Mountain. She has never been heard from again and an extensive search turned up no sign of her. After her disappearance, her car was found at the Heaton Flats Parking Lot.

Tice is presumed to have gotten lost or injured during her hike. Her body has never been found.
Investigating Agency
Source Information

I am familiar with this hike and trail as I summited Iron Mountain (solo) via the Heaton Flat Trail in 2015. This is a very grueling and strenuous hike from 2,000 feet elevation to 7,000 feet elevation at the summit. It is known to be the most strenuous single day hike in all of the San Gabriel Mountains, and I can vouch for that. Below you will find some reflections I am having now (in 2022) of my 2015 hike of Iron Mountain which hopefully can be of some help to locating Maria.

I passed only 2 other parties of hikers the entire day, so the trail is not very traveled at all (well, in 2015 it wasn't). It is ill-advised to hike this during the summer as there is no water source and would require heavy water carry (probably 6-8 liters needed during summer). However, looks like she made a February attempt which would be more manageable with 2-3 liters.

The hike is broken into two distinct sections:

1) Lower section - Gradual incline for several miles until finally reach a "plateau" (looks like a helicopter landing area)
2) Upper section - I believe it is 3 steep miles up to the summit, extremely steep and easy to fall and slip - but no "drop offs" or anything, at least from the main trail

There is no real way to get lost on the lower section of the hike, and there are no real dangerous spots. Yes, there are some side trails that lead down to some historic mines, but the main path is very direct, so one would not get lost on the lower part.

On the upper section, it is extremely steep and grueling. I do not recall any difficulty finding the trail on the way up. However, I recall being light-headed and tired from the grueling full-day ascent to the summit. Some portions of the upper section required scrambling across boulders on all-fours due to steepness, but none of this is dangerous, just time-intensive.

The summit of Iron Mountain is truly spectacular. You can not only see the city of LA, but you can see the pacific ocean and Catalina island, 60+ miles away. It is a remote and spectacular sight. You also have 360 degree views in all directions, from a spot that is literally in the middle of the San Gabriel Mountains.

At the summit, it becomes VERY easy to get turned around. In fact, I made a mistake when I left the summit as I traveled in a south westerly direction down a use-trail (which I thought was the main trail). Soon, I was traversing across a hill-side and the trail got super-steep. In fact, it was so steep that soil was sliding from below my shoes down what appeared to be a huge drop. I literally grabbed some bushes to maintain my balance and made my way back up. Had I not been exhausted, I probably would have realized much sooner that this was not the way I had climbed up. I finally made my way back to the summit and after a couple minutes found the main trail again.

I also recall reading a news article maybe 10 years back or so where 2 people were lost near the summit, and I believe one of them actually fell and ended up passing away. I can't find the article any longer, but will keep looking for it.

The area is super remote, but I would imagine she may have taken the wrong path down from the summit, like the mistake that I almost made. It is so easy to get turned around at the top being so exhausted. Hope she is found soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back