OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure about the claims of the other podcast, but according to what I was told by The Shaffer Family and CPD.. Brian’s Mom paid for everything so Brian could concentrate on school. He had one credit card with a very small credit limit and his bank card. Both of them were canceled within days of Brian going missing by Randy.

I have a question about that photo of the four men in what looks like womens' sunglasses. Where was that taken? That beer brand is a Texas brand. Is that where the photo was taken?

If I remember correctly, that style of huge sunglasses was popular among women in the late 2010s, so that tells me that wherever that was taken, there was women there with them. One of them probably took that photo. It looks like they were wearing the sunglasses to be silly for a photo . What do you know about the photo? It really does look like Brian to me.
I do not know any details on the picture such as when or where it was taken. The photo was the Facebook cover photo for one of the last men that Brian called the night of his disappearance. Actually there are 2 men in the photo that Brian called that night. I was talking to the one gentleman about meeting Brian that night. When I questioned the man about the picture, he blocked me. I will say that I don’t think the man is Brian, but it vaguely resembles him. It was the mans actions that made me curious. When I did the interview for a Unfound Podcast, I opened my Investigation and research to Ed and he found this very strange.

I do not know any details on the picture such as when or where it was taken. The photo was the Facebook cover photo for one of the last men that Brian called the night of his disappearance. Actually there are 2 men in the photo that Brian called that night. I was talking to the one gentleman about meeting Brian that night. When I questioned the man about the picture, he blocked me. I will say that I don’t think the man is Brian, but it vaguely resembles him. It was the mans actions that made me curious. When I did the interview for a Unfound Podcast, I opened my Investigation and research to Ed and he found this very strange.
Can you share the photo?

I have contributed to this thread in the past. Now my most plausible theory is that he somehow got out undetected and ended up in the river somehow (possibly by the help/force of someone) and his body has never been found.
This could have been as a result of a robbery gone wrong. Or Brian being mugged and then fighting his attacker and ending up in the river and drowning. His body following the current or being stuck somewhere in the river thus never been recovered.
I wouldn’t rule out him having fallen into a body of water either.
I know they searched the Oletangy.
But what about the Scioto river? One of the phone pings was in between both rivers-The Kenny Rd. ping. When I looked at the area on the map I noted the proximity to both rivers. And Hurst said that at that time a phone could ping off a tower up to 20 miles away.

Hey everyone! It’s been a while since I have posted here. I love how many conversations have happened since I’ve been gone. I see there are still a lot of questions about the phone pinging. I am working on answers for everyone and will have an episode of the podcast coming out within the next month explaining this from someone more qualified than myself. Friday there will be an episode about Brian on Unfound Podcast. It’s an interview I did with my friend Ed, who is the host. Lol. It’s a very long interview. In September the CNN show, Real Life Nightmares will feature an hour long segment on Brian’s disappearance as well. I’m still working behind the scenes with a great team that I have put together. The pings are our primary focus with some new small details that have come to light. I’m crossing my fingers that this will lead to something!!
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to listening to the Unfound podcast.

I wouldn’t rule out him having fallen into a body of water either.
I know they searched the Oletangy.
But what about the Scioto river? One of the phone pings was in between both rivers-The Kenny Rd. ping. When I looked at the area on the map I noted the proximity to both rivers. And Hurst said that at that time a phone could ping off a tower up to 20 miles away.
The Olentangy would’ve been about 2 feet deep at the time, so while he could’ve gone in, he wouldn’t have been hard to find. The Scioto is deeper but not really close to the area he was last seen in (though I suppose anything is possible). My personal opinion is that the westward phone pings and the towers at Kenny & Lane and Hilliard/Scioto Darby/Westbelt indicate the phone was likely traveling along 315 from campus to I-270W.

The phone lost all connectivity to the outside at 2.11. The first pings they got were on Monday (unspecified time?) according to Hurst, no? Where the towers with strongest signal were on the West side (unspec) and Kenny Road / Lane Avenue.

Hurst wouldn’t answer directly when Kelly asked if the phone pinged Sat. Or Sun. I suppose they can see that info from the cel phone data/records.
She asked him flat out did the phone ping Saturday or Sunday? He says something like “the phone did not connect to any towers the morning after Brian went missing.” He is vague. He just says “morning”.
Then he starts talking about how they “put a ping” on his phone Monday.

The Olentangy would’ve been about 2 feet deep at the time, so while he could’ve gone in, he wouldn’t have been hard to find. The Scioto is deeper but not really close to the area he was last seen in (though I suppose anything is possible). My personal opinion is that the westward phone pings and the towers at Kenny & Lane and Hilliard/Scioto Darby/Westbelt indicate the phone was likely traveling along 315 from campus to I-270W.
Interesting. Yes I see the Scioto is only 9 feet deep too. He probably would have been seen if he went in.

Just to clarify: There are three possibilities as I don't know the order of the pings:
1) 315 north to the "top" of I-270, head west then south to the Hilliard area.
2) 315 south to I-70 (or I-670 then I-70 if I-670 was completed by then). I-70 takes you to the Hilliard area.
3) 315 south to I-71 and hit I-270, the east and north to the Hillard area.
I would rule out #3.
As a former Columbus resident I would have chosen #2 as it's a slightly shorter and quicker route. But route #1 wasn't a bad drive either. Either way it's 1/2 hour or less trip.
Of course there any number of surface routes to get from that area to Hilliard. But they'd take longer.

I think the phone remains in the complex where Brian was last seen. Probably in his pocket.
Just to clarify: There are three possibilities as I don't know the order of the pings:
1) 315 north to the "top" of I-270, head west then south to the Hilliard area.
2) 315 south to I-70 (or I-670 then I-70 if I-670 was completed by then). I-70 takes you to the Hilliard area.
3) 315 south to I-71 and hit I-270, the east and north to the Hillard area.
I would rule out #3.
As a former Columbus resident I would have chosen #2 as it's a slightly shorter and quicker route. But route #1 wasn't a bad drive either. Either way it's 1/2 hour or less trip.
Of course there any number of surface routes to get from that area to Hilliard. But they'd take longer.

I think the phone remains in the complex where Brian was last seen. Probably in his pocket.

I respectfully disagree & would argue that investigators are aware of phone data that indicates he made it out of the building, assuming Brian’s phone was on his person at the time of his disappearance.

*Brian’s phone was on around 1:55-1:58 AM when Brightan put her # in.

*At 2:00 when Clint & Meredith exited the bar, they did not see him. Meredith called Brian at 2:01 but the phone was off or out of service (I personally believe he turned it off to avoid Clint & Meredith who were supposed to give him a ride home, but it could’ve briefly been out of service if he was in an elevator or the construction area I suppose).

*If you argue that his phone was out of service because he entered the construction area, why did it come back on and communicate with cell phone towers until 2:11 AM (per Hurst)?

In my opinion, Brian turned his phone off briefly as he took an alternate exit and way home to avoid being seen by Clint & Meredith as he exited the bar.

*Brian’s apartment was a 1/2 mile from the UTS. It’s a 10 minute walk. I think he kept his phone on while he took Pearl Alley home, perhaps for light or safety. If he made it home, he then turned it off again after 2:11 AM.

*Hurst wouldn’t say what kind of retroactive pinging data they have for that weekend, but my guess is that it was on & pinging. As @MysteryMaven recounted, Hurst says something like “the phone did not connect to any towers the morning after Brian went missing.” He is vague. He just says “morning.” Think about that. What are we being told without being told?

*When they put the pinging service on the phone on Monday, they got pings. Remember… a phone has to be turned on and powered up to ping. Any of you who now use Life 360 know if someone’s power is low, they can’t be tracked. You think that’s going to happen buried in concrete or in Brian’s pocket behind drywall… for days?

*We can debate whether or not at this point Brian had his phone & was moving with it or, if something nefarious happened, someone else had his phone. However, it was moving in a westward direction. Think about back then before GPS how many pings investigators had to have gotten to be able to triangulate a signal. Not just 1.

*Hurst reports pings at Kenny Rd & Lane Ave, triangulation at Scioto Darby Creek are, and less specifically refers to pings in the “Westside/Westbelt area” and “a few after that.” Each is further west from the next. A stationary phone that is powered on for days is not going to progressively jump farther west to a tower in a sequential motion. That phone was in a car on the highway. Look at a map & you will see 315 S to (briefly 70 W as @Valiant said) to 270 N hits all the marks.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member