GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

I watched a bit of the trial yesterday, first police officer on the scene who found Susan's body. Defence was criticising him for not wearing booties into the house to protect the scene but he was only called out to a report of an open front door, and had no idea he would find a murder scene.

How on earth does Durst intend to explain writing the cadaver note? He'll probably say he visited and found her dead and quickly left. :rolleyes: But then how to explain his agreement that the person who wrote the note was the murderer?

Tortoise said:
Thank you @Niner

I'll try to do some tweets sometimes but can't guarantee I'll do it all of the time. I'm sure we'll get there with a combined effort and other interested parties mucking in.

Thanks for all your work on this.

I figured if you hadn't post them yet - it was okay for me to do it! :) It gets past my bedtime for Pacific Time - so I don't mind doing them in "my" morning.

On the person who wrote the note was the murderer - I guess he just confessed! :D

Also I read Durst will be testifying! That should be interesting....

I was going to post some tweets - but didn't realize what time it is... will do them in the morning while you all sleep. :) Off to bed for me!

from Thursday, 5/20/21.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
2h
#RobertDurst - Court isn't set to resume until 9:30 am pt/12:30pm et today. They are going to have this later start probably going forward.

WITNESSES expected today:

Dr. Mark Fajardo -M.E. will continue
Then 2 medical school classmates of Kathie Durst:
Dr. Alicia Landman-Reiner
Dr. Helen Bloch

Durst has entered court and now the jury is coming in.

#RobertDurst in grey suit today. The medical examiner that reviewed Susan Berman's autopsy is still under direct examination from yesterday.

Gray suit.jpg

M.E. testified that the gun used to kill Susan Berman had to be up against the back of her head or within 1 inch.

ME.jpg

After the medical examiner testified, Dr. Alicia Landman-Reiner took the stand. She was a medical school classmate of Kathie Durst. She testified if you called in sick you would call in to someone on your team. (not the Dean as alleged Kathie did)

Landman.jpg

Court is on the lunch recess. Lunch time is very specific, 12-1:30pm PT every day. Dr. Alicia Landman-Reiner, medical school classmate of Kathie's, will continue on the stand.

Court is about to get started following the lunch break. Durst, attorneys and Judge are in the courtroom. Jury is not there yet.

Up next is Dr. Helen Bloch another medical school classmate of Kathie Durst.

Bloch.jpg

Judge/attorneys back in conference room in a sidebar. JURY OBSERVATION: Jurors are allowed to have their phones in the courtroom (I'm not sure I've ever seen that in all the trials we've done) Several have their phones out now looking at whatever.

Durst just passed a note to DeGuerin. Dick didn't look at it, just set it down.

Note.jpg

The monitor in the courtroom that we were showing exhibits from broke today. We're stuck with this one behind the witness stand with the black bar from the Plexiglas in the way. Monitor s/b fixed Monday.

Exhibit.jpg

We are in the afternoon break. Reminder NO COURT ON FRIDAYS. That's standard for L.A. County. Kathie Durst's medical school classmate is still on the stand and will be under redirect after the break.

The judge moved that additional plexiglass so we no longer have the black bar through the monitor. :) Lewin on redirect is showing a doc from Kathie's medical school stating her tuition check of $3000 bounced. This was March 1981

Black.jpg

Lewin is asking Kathie's classmate about abuse from Bob to Kathie. Bloch says in 1981 it wasn't the norm for friends to report about domestic violence. She wishes she would have. She told Kathie to leave Bob.

Court is on a short break. Here's one of my favorite pics of Judge Windham

Judge.jpg

Now playing pre-recorded testimony from Dr. Peter Wilk. He's the surgery professor that mentored Kathie Durst.
Wilk.jpg

Court is adjourned until Monday 9:15am PT/12:15pm ET.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Attachments

• Agent.jpg
    Agent.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 13
Robert Durst murder trial: Medical examiner says it's possible victim didn't know she was about to be murdered

Asked by DeGuerin whether the possibility that Berman was on her knees and cleaning up after her dogs at the time she was shot was consistent with the evidence Fajardo reviewed, he said: "That is a possibility, certainly."

Fajardo then confirmed his theory that because of the way the bullet entered the back of Berman’s head, it is a "possibility" she didn’t know she was about to be killed.

Monday, May 24th:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ 9:15am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-2 (5/18/21 thru 5/19/21) reference post #238 here:
CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000 *Arrest*

5/20/21 Thursday, Trial Day 3: State witnesses: back on cross: Dr. Mark Fajardo, Fmr. L.A. County Medical Examiner. Dr. Alicia Landman-Reiner, Medical school classmate of Kathie's. Dr. Helen Bloch, medical school classmate of Kathie's. Played pre-recorded testimony from Dr. Peter Wilk, the surgery professor that mentored Kathie. Court is dark on Fridays, court adjourned until Monday, 5/24/21 at 9:15am.

Last edited:
Well dang - it's late again & I was going to post the tweets - I'll do that in the morning while you all sleep... :)

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
3h
#RobertDurst - Court is set to resume at 9:15 pt/12:15 et. Last week the state played previously recorded testimony from Dr. Peter Wilk, Kathie Durst's surgery professor. That video will continue this morning.

Continuing with the recorded testimony of Dr. Peter Wilk, Kathie Durst's surgery professor

Dr Wilk.jpg

Dr. Wilk testified that in March of 1981, Kathleen Durst has missed rounds during her surgical rotation and was failing the class. He said Kathie told him she was in the middle of a divorce and there was violence involved.

Dr. Leslie Hain is called to the stand. She treated Kathie Durst in the emergency room in Jan. 1982 after Robert Durst had allegedly punched her.

Dr. Hain.jpg

Jan 6, 1982 (25 days before Kathie Durst disappeared), Dr. Hain saw Kathie in the E.R. Note: 29 yo female w/history of blunt trauma to left side of face - hit in lest side of face, complained of pressure. (Patient allegedly slapped with hand)

Trauma.jpg

Dr. Hain is done testifying. Before calling their next witness, the state asked for a sidebar. Parties are back in the room off the courtroom - this is where they are conducting sidebars for this trial.

Some jurors stand up and stretch during this sidebar.

After sidebar judge calls for the morning break.

Courtroom view: The 19 jurors are spread out in the gallery where public would normally sit. this is why cam is pointed at the ceiling when jurors go in and out. Our photog stands on a stool behind his camera that's on a 6plus foot tripod as to not capture jurors

Friend of Kathie Durst now on the stand. Janet Finke-Shaw originally met Bob & Kathie when she was hired to clean the South Salem cottage. She became friends with Katie.

Janet.jpg

Janet Finke-Shaw testified she had moved to Calif. She had flown back for a visit. She was at the Durst's. There were friends over, some of them went out to a club in Manhattan, building owned by Durst corp.

Janet says when she returned from the club, (this is in 1981) she heard a fight, people gasped, "Peter (Schwartz) had been kicked in the eye." Everyone was shocked.

Janet Finke-Shaw also testifies to Kathie telling her about the time she climbed out her window to get away from Bob and she told her Bob had a gun.

Finke-Shaw testifies under cross-exam that Bob Durst always treated her kindly.
Bob told her even though the marriage was strained he didn't want to divorce Kathie.

12pm PT on the dot means lunch! Only in L.A. courts have I experienced the lunch break is from 12-1:30 without exception. Trial resumes 1:30pm pt/4:30pm et

Court is back in session following the lunch break. Janet Fincke-Shaw is on the stand under cross-examination.

Fadwa Najamy has been on the stand this afternoon. Her sister Gilberte was a good friend of Kathie Durst. She said the night Kathie disappeared she came over to their house, Kathie was upset, "frantic"- her and Bob had a fight.

Fadwa.jpg

Fadwa Najamy has been under cross-examine by Dick DeGuerin for awhile now. Her body language shows her frustration.

After jury left Chesnoff renewed their argument to allow testimony in re: NY investigation & 2 witnesses that said they saw Kathie on Feb. 1. Judge has previously ruled it's unreliable (elevator op recanted later) @LawCrimeNetwork
1/6

Chesnoff argued Fadwa Najamy's testimony 'opened the door' by leaving the jury with the impression that the NY investigation into Kathie's disappearance was incomplete and/or poor, when in fact there was an extensive investigation. @LawCrimeNetwork
2/6

DeGuerin got into the argument saying Najamy testified authorities told her "they couldn't prove she was in Manhattan". DeGuerin says "we know that's false. We know they developed 2 witnesses that saw her in Manhattan on Feb. 1" @LawCrimeNetwork
3/6

Lewin to the judge: Do you need to hear from me on this? Judge: No, I've ruled on this multiple times. Chesnoff: The only reason we brought it up again is they put somebody on to talk about it. @LawCrimeNetwork
4/6

Chesnoff: It's like fightin' with one hand behind your back and on one foot.. At some point they cannot go to the precipice & talk about the NY investigation & not expect us to ask you to let us tell the jury there existed exculpatory evidence @LawCrimeNetwork
5/6

Judge: We're beating a dead horse here. It's inadmissible hearsay. It's highly unreliable and the issue of whether or not the police did a good job is no impression me as an opening. @LawCrimeNetwork
6/6

Trial continues tomorrow.

Tuesday, May 25th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-3 (5/18/21 thru 5/20/21) reference post #247 here:

5/24/21 Monday, Trial Day 4: State witnesses: Dr. Peter Wilk, Kathie's surgery professor. Dr. Leslie Hain, treated Kathie in ER after Durst punched her. Janet Finke-Shaw, friend of Kathie's. Fadwa Najamy, her sister Gilberte was a good friend of Kathie.
See post #249 for more info here:
Trial continues on 5/25/21.

Videos of all the testimony is streaming live (I think) & then staying up on u tube ! Who else is is watching with me?

Over the weekend I went back to the testimony from a year ago when the trial first started, before its Covid break (audio only). Almost caught up with that & then will watch yesterday’s & onward ....

I'm watching snatches. It's on late in the evening here so I have too many interruptions throughout the evening, but I watched the last witness yesterday. As you say it's on youtube so I might dip in and watch a bit more later.

I’ve been binging on it since finding, just walking around with it in my ears whenever I can. it’s hard to imagine learning much new in this trial I guess ... maybe that’s why this thread isn’t going. Are there any still outstanding Qs?

Durst atty acknowledged in his opening that RD wrote the cadaver note. He said RD flew into SF because he was going to buy a house there for Susan Berman & him to live in together [rolls eyes], then drove down to see her, found her shot dead on her kitchen floor, then turned around & drove back up to SF & flew home. But first he wrote the cadaver note because he ‘cared’ about SB ... def atty sez ‘as a Jewish person, SB needed be buried quickly & RD didn’t want her to miss out on this religious practice’ or something like that .... IMO ridiculous attempt to shade it like RD had any sort of morals or concern with higher authority JMO

RD spoke one true statement..."I killed them all..." Of course, he did. There's never been a doubt in my mind. I was just astounded that he got away with murdering and dismembering his neighbor, Morris Black.

I think that RD has been mentally unbalanced his entire life. He thinks that he is above the law; and, he apparently has been, to date. Let's hope that some kind of justice is served here, not that it would bring back either woman.

There's no doubt in my mind that his friend, Susan, helped him get away with the murder of his wife, Kathie. What perplexes me is why he couldn't just divorce her and allow her to get on with her life? He has so much money. Why not help her finish her medical degree and let her earn a living on her own?

What surprises me is that Susan Berman didn't fear that she was in danger around Robert Durst. She knew his secret. I'm assuming that she is the only one that could connect him to his wife's murder. He helped her financially throughout the years. He didn't do that out of the kindness of his heart.

I guess that we shall see if eliminating her as a potential witness against him was the right way to go.

Kathie Durst Speaks from the Past: “Don’t Let the *advertiser censored* Get Away With It!”

JMO.

I agree re SB ...how could she hang around that wife-killer & never recognize him as an evil being unworthy of trust? IMO to put on my shrink hat .... SB’s father was some sort of mafioso so a killer, but SB presumably always trusted he’d never be a threat to HER because he loved her so much. Then later she slotted RD into that role & soon mistook RD’s lizard-croaks of appreciation for actual love & devotion. MOO JMO

as for why RD couldn’t just let Kathie go ... IMO RD seems to have a problem with murderous rage. If he had any self awareness he’d have realized he needed to let her go .... but he doesn’t seem to have any self-awareness, just endless self-justifications. But IMO even if he’d intended to do the right thing & let her go, he probably still would’ve killed her in an unplanned outburst of murderous rage.

Actually that’s how I figure JMO he did kill her, not pre-planned .... IIRC his murder to-do list (“shovel” .... “town dump?”) seemed ad hoc enough to suggest he hadn’t prepared in advance.

But that’s not to say it wasn’t premeditated! it seems clear based on threats etc that RD had formed the mindset to kill Kathie well before he did. That this was the fight where he raged out of control & carried it out rather than the next one doesn’t really matter.

Well - Cathy didn't tweet much of the trial - she got distracted by the murder indictment for Daybell & Vallow...

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
13h
#RobertDurst -Judge Windham says they will be breaking early today around 3:15 PT/6:15 ET.

First up today for the state is Dr. Steven Safyer, former CEO of Albert Einstein College of Medicine - where Kathie Durst attended.

Safyer.jpg

VERY CONTENTIOUS cross-exam happening between the witness and Dick DeGuerin. "Judge, he's just going to talk whenever he wants to!"

Judge calls for an early lunch making a comment about how this morning (testimony/back and forth) has made him really tried. Trial resumes 1:30 pm PT/4:30 pm ET

#RobertDurst trial back in session following the lunch break. Durst will be absent for this afternoon due to a doctor's appointment. Judge shows the note written by Durst voluntarily absenting himself.

Judge.jpg

CORRECTION: #RobertDurst won't be in court tomorrow due to a doctor's appt. (not today)

I have a very close friend that was interviewed by detectives as a POI in this SB case. :eek:

He is still shook up by it. He is a comedian and comedy writer, who knew SB through mutual writer friends. She had asked him if he wanted to write a spec script with her for a Comedy Central special. They had gotten together a couple times to work on it and he would bring some good pot for them to smoke.

So she began to call him to bring her weed. Which he did a few times. So the week before she was killed there were several calls between my friend and SB. When he heard what happened to her he was upset and freaked out. And he asked my husband and I---'should I call the cops or should I wait for them to call me?' He knew his fingerprints and/or even DNA were likely in her place. And phone records would show their calls.

I was saying call them first---tell them you had spoken to her and had plans to meet up---which they did---but she never called back to confirm...

He didn't call them but one day they were at his door...:eek:...asked to come in, and they talked to him but also looked around a lot...

Anyway, luckily for him they were more suspicious about Durst than they were about my friend.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk