TX TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, found deceased, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #4

I agree he was targeted, but don't believe it was a pro "hit". I speculate AW lost his life for simply being who he was.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Thanks for your perspective. I'm not even sure what qualifies someone as a professional hitman. (Most people probably think of the mob first, but murder-for-hire happens in other contexts as well, of course.)

What I mean by a targeted hit is that this was done by someone who was dispassionate about the victim. The crime feels risky, undertaken by someone who was cool and calm. Or rather cold and businesslike, in the daylight. Poor Alan.

This is all based on what my completely uninformed senses are telling me. If the cause of death is anything other than one gunshot wound to the head, I will stand corrected.

Any ideas about motive if AW was, in fact, targeted?

Yes, the phone and other electronics might have been password protected. I was musing about that and found it strange the husband wasn’t able to unlock it/them, which means he didn’t have the password. IF that’s true, to me it says something about the trust level in their relationship. More so when people are doing business together like flipping houses or whatever else.
That’s the reason I asked myself that maybe trust wasn’t the issue but maybe legally he couldn’t provide it? I have no idea about that.

IMO
You’ve piqued my curiosity about the legalities of using somebody else’s password. I did a little poking around, it appears not to be a clearcut answer. If you’re interested, look into the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA.) I think the short answer is that accessing a missing partner’s devices could be illegal. The key seems to be whether the owner of the device gives permission for others to use their password, and even then – because computers connect with other computers – how far does that permission extend? Terms of service with each vendor also come into play. It’s an interesting topic.

I don't have my husband's passwords for his phone or computer because they are work related. I would have no idea how to get into his phone or computer if something were to happen to him. The computer guy at my husband's office would be able to get into the phone and computer if we needed to do so in a hurry.

I am assuming that Alan's phone and computer were paid for by his work. That would mean separate bills going to his business. So, it doesn't surprise me that Rusty wouldn't know his passwords and that warrants were necessary to obtain the information from them.

My phone is my own personal phone. So, my husband could easily get into mine. Same with my computers.

As far as the GPS, I think that the dealership would have had to pay a fee to activate the app and GPS option for the Porsche. Could be mistaken, but I think that it was never activated.

I have no idea why Alan was murdered. I sure hope that his family gets answers and justice.

JMO.

I don't have my husband's passwords for his phone or computer because they are work related. I would have no idea how to get into his phone or computer if something were to happen to him. The computer guy at my husband's office would be able to get into the phone and computer if we needed to do so in a hurry.

I am assuming that Alan's phone and computer were paid for by his work. That would mean separate bills going to his business. So, it doesn't surprise me that Rusty wouldn't know his passwords and that warrants were necessary to obtain the information from them.

My phone is my own personal phone. So, my husband could easily get into mine. Same with my computers.

JMO.

I don’t know if a bill would be sent to work. Work-paid cell phone in our home gets billed to our home. Work-paid is different from work-owned, though.

I imagine there’s sensitive and/or proprietary info related to his employer on his phone.

If something happened to me today, my husband would have no idea how to get into my iPhone. He just doesn't keep up with those things. I, on the other hand, know his iPhone password because I have helped him numerous times with downloading apps, saving emails, etc. We've been together many years, are committed and happy, yet we respect the other's personal privacy and boundaries. Each relationship is different so I don't make too much of the fact Rusty doesn't have Alan's phone password.

I don’t know if a bill would be sent to work. Work-paid cell phone in our home gets billed to our home. Work-paid is different from work-owned, though.

I imagine there’s sensitive and/or proprietary info related to his employer on his phone.
My husband's work phone are also billed to his company as many of the employees have work phones. So, they are on the same company plan.

When I worked, my phone and beeper were also covered by the company. I never saw a bill.

I agree that private company information/communication is on the work phone and work computer. I don't know if LE would also have warrants to go through all of his communications. It would seem so, especially, if you don't know what happened to the person and who might be involved.

JMO.

If something happened to me today, my husband would have no idea how to get into my iPhone. He just doesn't keep up with those things. I, on the other hand, know his iPhone password because I have helped him numerous times with downloading apps, saving emails, etc. We've been together many years, are committed and happy, yet we respect the other's personal privacy and boundaries. Each relationship is different so I don't make too much of the fact Rusty doesn't have Alan's phone password.
We are the same way. In fact, I told my husband (after reading about this case) that I would have no idea who to call or get in touch with if something were to happen to him. That's how relaxed we are around here. We trust each other and are very independent. He does his thing and I do mine. I guess that we just assume that nothing bad will ever happen to either of us...

JMO.

DAVID TAFFET | Senior Staff Writer
taffet@dallasvoice.com

taffet@dallasvoice.com

The Dallas County Medical Examiner has yet to determine the cause of death for Alan White, the Dallas gay man who disappeared last October and whose body was found last week. But police hope to have more information soon, according to LGBT Police Liaison Chelsea Geist.

White’s body was found near Paul Quinn College in south Dallas on May 13. A survey crew working for the college found the remains in a wooded area and called 9-1-1. White disappeared on Oct. 22.

White and his husband, Rusty Jenkins, both left their home at around 4:45 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 22, driving separate cars on their way to separate gyms. White was last seen leaving the L.A. Fitness gym at CityPlace around 6 a.m. He was driving a black Porsche Macan, a loaner car from Park Place Motors.

From there, surveillance video from the RaceTrac gas station on Inwood Road at Maple Avenue in Oak Lawn showed him at a pump filling the car with gas. Another video showed him exiting the station onto Inwood, going north toward his home.

But he never reached home.

Park Place Motors was unable to locate the car, even though loaner cars are normally fitted with GPS trackers. The car was found a week later about a mile from where White’s body was eventually found. At the time, police said they were waiting for results to come back from SWIFS, Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences.

Alan White’s body found - Dallas Voice

Last edited:
“It is a very difficult and time-consuming process unfortunately,” Geist said at the time.

In addition, White’s phone was found in the car and police were waiting on warrants from Apple to unlock the phone.

Then separate warrants were required for each application on the phone. There has been no word yet from police where they were in that process or if it revealed any clues.

Until his body was found, police were not calling the case a death, but a disappearance. Throughout the investigation, however, they have been considering all possibilities.

Now, because cause of death has not yet been determined, White’s death has still not been ruled a homicide. Because of the state of decomposition, determining cause of death may be difficult, but Geist said she hopes results would be available soon that can give detectives new clues.

While the case hasn’t been officially ruled a homicide, Crime Stoppers is offering a $5,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest and indictment of a suspect in the case. In addition, a private fund has offered $20,000 for information on White’s disappearance and death.

While police are waiting for autopsy results, they are actively seeking information in the case and ask that anyone with information related to White’s death contact Detective Eric Barnes at 214-283-4818 or by email at eric.barnes@dallascityhall.com, referencing case 188623-2020.

Last edited:
Can you disable a GPS tracker in a vehicle? Or disable electronics? Like by disconnecting a battery? If so that would explain PP not being able to locate the car and the keys being inside while locked. Doesn't make sense, but thought I'd ask.

White and his husband, Rusty Jenkins, both left their home at around 4:45 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 22, driving separate cars on their way to separate gyms.

Thanks @Knox. For some reason I thought Rusty stayed at the house that morning. I'd forgotten he left the same time as Alan. To separate gyms I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you disable a GPS tracker in a vehicle? Or disable electronics? Like by disconnecting a battery? If so that would explain PP not being able to locate the car and the keys being inside while locked. Doesn't make sense, but thought I'd ask.
It makes sense, and I’d like to know that also. I don’t know much about gps , but what I’m finding is that some gps is just connected to car battery, some to electronics and some have their own battery/back up battery? But it seems you can disable gps in cars if you know how. Maybe someone knows about these systems because there’s not a lot of good, definitive info out there on this for some reason. Would just disabling the main car battery disable the gps in a Porsche? That’s what I can’t find an answer for.

taffet@dallasvoice.com

taffet@dallasvoice.com

The Dallas County Medical Examiner has yet to determine the cause of death for Alan White, the Dallas gay man who disappeared last October and whose body was found last week. But police hope to have more information soon, according to LGBT Police Liaison Chelsea Geist.

White’s body was found near Paul Quinn College in south Dallas on May 13. A survey crew working for the college found the remains in a wooded area and called 9-1-1. White disappeared on Oct. 22.

White and his husband, Rusty Jenkins, both left their home at around 4:45 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 22, driving separate cars on their way to separate gyms. White was last seen leaving the L.A. Fitness gym at CityPlace around 6 a.m. He was driving a black Porsche Macan, a loaner car from Park Place Motors.

From there, surveillance video from the RaceTrac gas station on Inwood Road at Maple Avenue in Oak Lawn showed him at a pump filling the car with gas. Another video showed him exiting the station onto Inwood, going north toward his home.

But he never reached home.

Park Place Motors was unable to locate the car, even though loaner cars are normally fitted with GPS trackers. The car was found a week later about a mile from where White’s body was eventually found. At the time, police said they were waiting for results to come back from SWIFS, Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences.

Geez...Someone else finds the remains. They can't determine COD. Won't say that it is a homicide. Still trying to get information from his phone. If I were the family, I would be beyond frustrated.

JMO.

If LE can’t get into Alan’s phone, I wonder how they know which apps to get warrants for.

I wondered that too. Then I re-read the Dallas Voice article by David Taffet posted above, and it says:

“In addition, White’s phone was found in the car and police were waiting on warrants from Apple to unlock the phone.

“Then separate warrants were required for each application on the phone. There has been no word yet from police where they were in that process or if it revealed any clues.”

So it sounds like they executed the first warrant, gained access to the phone, learned what apps are there and then needed a second round of warrants. Tedious process.

Odd. When you have access to the phone, you should be able to open most apps and read whatever transpired. Known exceptions are banking apps, for they will require face identification.

Makes me wonder what the additional warrants were needed for.

Odd. When you have access to the phone, you should be able to open most apps and read whatever transpired. Known exceptions are banking apps, for they will require face identification.

Makes me wonder what the additional warrants were needed for.

I think LE needs permission before opening any apps on a private phone, even if those apps are easily accessible. For instance, one can tap on the message app and it quickly opens without a code, but investigators would still need a warrant to do that. Same with Facebook Messenger, Twitter, or other individual apps.

Just a personal recommendation- unless there is some reason not to trust your SO- add their fingerprint, faceprint, and/or or share your phone password with them. Its handy even if they just hand you their phone and ask you to read a text while they are driving, or God forbid in a critical situation like this.

My wife can open my phone with her fingerprint, its a work phone, there is no issue with that; I don't work for the CIA...

I keep a book in a set location, of which my husband knows, where all passwords and other important information is listed. I have told him many times, "If something happens, just get the book. Everything you need is in there." The only problem is I have never listed my iPhone password but I fixed that today.

Re: phone and computer passwords

(All of the following is my speculation)

Alan was in a management position at a professional services firm and likely dealt routinely with business sensitive and confidential information. Cyber security precautions have been increased over the past year with the pandemic moving many into a mobile or work-from-home situation. IMO, I would be astonished if KPMG did not have an enterprise data security system in place for email (mobile and computer access) and any other data or documentation access for work.

Here’s an overview of several enterprise off-the-shelf solutions focused on email (I do not know what KPMG uses, but, in my strong opinion, they use something, and perhaps a proprietary system):

The Top 11 Email Security Gateways | Expert Insights

My organization uses an enterprise data protection service that requires multi-factor authentication and a combination of PINs and passwords that individually must meet security requirements and have to be updated every 30-90 days. Work from stations and laptops are dedicated - they are not for personal use and you can only use verified encrypted mobile data sources with them. We use VPNs with separate access requirements. I have dedicated phone apps that require separate authentication to use if I need to access a work spreadsheet or document via a mobile device (which fortunately, is rare for me).

My organization requires that my iPhone login be a minimum of 9 digits updated every 30 days (and no reusing previous passcodes — it’s fun!).

IIRC, Alan worked in cloud computing solutions in healthcare, where cyber security precautions are likely stringent. We’ve all heard media reports of increased random ware attacks involving hospital systems, and a even a non-ransomware cyber intrusion involving healthcare-related data could involve costs running into the millions and even billions of dollars. I would have been more surprised (IMO) if his husband had access to his phone or workstation (and, although not the primary concern when Alan went missing, it would be considered a security breach if Rusty were able to access a device used for work purposes).

Most individuals in my organization can still make individual phone purchases and will receive individual phone bills that are provided by carriers, so Rusty may (IMO) have been trying to access online billing information for Alan’s phone, which, in my situation, would still show the timing for calls / texts received (no content info) and some location information. My partner has password information for that since we have a shared account. It sounds as though Rusty and Alan did not have a shared account — and that may be more a reflection of the cybersecurity precautions that would be mandated for Alan.

In my organization, dedicated work devices that do not involve individual billing are generally provided only for international travel and for those working directly in cyber security. Most enterprise systems will allow settings to be customized by the organization for individual users — so I, for instance, can maintain personal social media apps on my phone and post online at Websleuths in accordance with company policy. Others who routinely handle more sensitive information are not be allowed to do so. I can use Bluetooth on my phone. Others can not. I don’t know what KPMG’s policy is.

I thought it would be useful to provide some perspective from someone who works for a national organization that does work in the cyber security sphere (though that’s not my focus).

We all bring different experiences to the discussion. Mine is that I know many (seemingly) happily married couples who do not share mobile accounts or devices — or access to accounts and devices — due to the profession of one or both partners.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347
Back